• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Part found on Reunion Island is from missing flight MH370

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
Link

The plane part that was found on a beach in the Indian Ocean was determined to be part of MH370, the Malaysia Airlines flight that vanished more than a year ago, Malaysia's prime minister said.

The debris is the first piece of physical evidence recovered from the ill-fated plane, which disappeared on March 8, 2014 along with its 239 passengers and crew.

“It is with a very heavy heart that I must tell you, an international team of experts have conclusively confirmed that the aircraft debris found on Reunion is indeed from MH370,” Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said at a brief press conference. "We now have physical evidence that ... Flight MH370 tragically ended in the Southern Indian Ocean."

Zombine

Banned
These families need closure. I hope they will soon be able to find peace and have something tangible to return for proper burial.

As to why this is of any concern

Investigators are hoping the part can provide some clues about the jet’s final moments.

Some experts have postulated that the damage suggests the flaperon may have been deployed when the plane hit the water, meaning that someone in the cockpit was consciously manipulating the controls.

Alx

I'm surprised it took so long to have a confirmation, they had a serial number, I would have thought they would just have to look in the right database to check where it came from.

CNN:

Blank+_4a4b7cbc24c82ee305fedcf683f14e95.png

MIMIC

Banned
I'm surprised it took so long to have a confirmation, they had a serial number, I would have thought they would just have to look in the right database to check where it came from.

They said that this was done for the families. They wanted to be 100% sure before making any premature declarations

Captain.Falafel

Neo Member
How much does this finding help narrow down the location of the other parts? Or more to the point: what are the chances now that we find evidence that leads us to a fuller understanding of what transpired the day MH370 disappeared?

MIMIC

Banned
They say there is a "strong supposition" that this is from MH370.

So is that a 99.99% confirmation? =p

How much does this finding help narrow down the location of the other parts? Or more to the point: what are the chances now that we find evidence that leads us to a fuller understanding of what transpired the day MH370 disappeared?

hard to tell if the item showed up a year after the crash.

at its very least, it's confirmation that the plane crashed. Should help those seeking some closure.

KHarvey16

Part number 657 BB was found in large lettering on the inside of the flaperon, which confirmed it was from a B777. They must have now found something that uniquely identifies as having come from MH370.

Ah, didn't know they had a number. I'm sure the additional time was simply due diligence and notifications to the families. It would not have taken long to match it with the aircraft.

Scipius

Ah, didn't know they had a number. I'm sure the additional time was simply due diligence and notifications to the families. It would not have taken long to match it with the aircraft.

The French will be taking things very seriously; under French law this will be more akin to a criminal investigation than just any old probe.

Apparently they haven't fully been able to tie it to MH370 specifically yet, just that they have very strong indications it belongs to a Malaysian Airlines B777. That kind of narrows it down to MH370 of course, but still.

TheMAK

Banned
Hmmm how many 777 have disappeared over the Indian Ocean? Only one -> MH370.

They only had to confirm that this was a 777 part.

dalin80

Banned
If I was reading the right thing earlier haven't bits been washing up for a while but the residents there were just 'meh, junk might as well burn it'?

dluu13

The French will be taking things very seriously; under French law this will be more akin to a criminal investigation than just any old probe.

Apparently they haven't fully been able to tie it to MH370 specifically yet, just that they have very strong indications it belongs to a Malaysian Airlines B777. That kind of narrows it down to MH370 of course, but still.

I might have missed something, but what does France have to do with the investigation? If it was an Airbus that would make sense, but Boeing is American.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom