• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Jordan Netflix documentary won't be an honest portrayal.

sytadel

1st 3 peat. Lakers had Magic with aids and, no Kareem. Drexler by himself. Then Barkley, and Kevin Johnson. 1995 Eatsern Conference Finals MJ choked on a key play in Game 6 and lost to Shaq and Penny. Oh MJ was rusty right? He dropped two 50 point games prior to that series. They desperately needed Rodman's help.

Rodman's offensive rebounding won the following 1996 series, most long time Bulls fans agree.
Jordan not only shot terribly from the field, he was absolute shit in the fourth quarters too (shot 33.3% in them, and only 15.4% in the fourth quarters of the three close games). In the two close wins of the series, Rodman averaged 11 offensive rebounds/game. He was setting records, and when MJ was shooting the team out of the game with bricks (rest of the team struggled shooting wise too), it was Rodman getting all those rebounds to give Bulls the extra possessions. Bulls as a team shot much lower than Sonics in that series...why do you think they still won? They got 34 more possessions from offensive rebounds (Rodman alone had 41!). MJ's scoring could have been replaced in that series, but Rodman's historic offensive rebounding? Not so much.

Rodman should have been the MVP of that Finals. The Bulls shot much worse from the field than the Sonics in the Finals but still won. How did that happen? Simple. The Bulls got more shot opportunities from offensive rebounds basically negating many of their misses. Rodman, by himself, secured and additional 41 possessions for the Bulls with his offensive rebounding including 2 games where he tied an NBA Finals record. That's like playing H-O-R-S-E and someone giving you multiple "do overs" after you've missed.
Jordan didn't have to contend with a generation behind him - go look at the drafts from '86-'95; there was very little top-end talent entering the league and a good number of 'em were on the Bulls.

Payton was injured in the NBA Finals in 1996. Horace Grant was also very underappreciated as a Bull, a key in the Magic beating the Bulls in '95, and injured in Game 1 in '96. Also, while people give Jordan credit for the titles he didn't win because he quit on his team (twice & Pippen stood tall without Jordan), they also don't factor in the extra wear and tear those years would've put on him in the later years, probably costing him a couple titles on the back end.

He also didn't have to exist in a social media world - he was prickly with the media and always felt maligned, even by the mostly flattering "The Jordan Rules" - imagine him exposed to the comments and 24-hour sports news cycle of today. He's a notoriously terrible talent evaluator - imagine if the Bulls had felt compelled to pick the players he wanted. We all know he didn't want Scottie Pippen; imagine if he had to play GM and coach and SG. Or if the Bulls weren't able to lock Scottie Pippen into a now-impossible ridiculously low contract. Jordan has a grand total of 1 playoff GAME win without Pippen. Jordan also played in a watered-down league as the NBA expanded from 23 teams to 30, and the West was the deeper conference back then.

So basically when Jordan was winding down his prime, all his competition was ALSO winding down theirs, and most were even older than he was. LeBron, meanwhile, has had to play his last two Finals against TWO league MVPs in their prime that partnered up while his "superstar" teammates are both guys who have won a total of zero playoff games without him.

LBJ's a pass first player. 10k+ assists 10k+ boards 30k+ points will NEVER be done again. LBJ GOAT no question. Bigger, stronger, faster. Rings are a team achievement, not an individual accomplishment. Facts.

1111.jpg

Championships aren't created equal. It's about the level of competition and challenge that was faced not only during the big games, but also leading up to them in the NBA Playoffs. That's the reason I don't consider the Bulls victories in 1991/92 to be that impressive, because the opposing teams were carried to the finals by a crippled Magic Johnson and Clyde Drexler.

Michael's second three-peat against the Seattle Supersonics and Utah Jazz are worthy of recognition and respect, as is the 1993 Phoenix Suns team with Charles Barkley, Kevin Johnson and so forth.

But those first 2 championships ain't worth diddly-squat.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nobody says MJ isn't the goat, I just think his games and legacy are discussable.

MastAndo

Nobody says MJ isn't the goat, I just think his games and legacy are discussable.
OP literally just said that.

While I do think LBJ is the most physically gifted individual to ever step foot on a basketball court, I also think MJ had another gear - a cutthroat mentality that set him apart from basically anyone else. Kobe is the closest we've seen to such a thing, and while I won't go and claim the fallacy about LeBron not being clutch or choking in big spots, I don't think he has that same killer mentality.

Since you can't really directly compare stats from different eras, in a game like basketball where an individual can basically take over the entire game (and decide it at the end), that becomes the main determining factor in any GOAT conversation, as far as I'm concerned. I don't believe LeBron's ability in this department compares to Jordan's, so the choice remains a pretty clear one to me.

MJ is an interesting cat. His HoF induction speech kind of revealed to the world what a lot of people behind the scenes knew about him already. Not that he’s a bad dude, by any stretch, but he’s just very much “himself,” very unabashed almost to a point where people who expect star athletes to go through the motions and kiss all the babies find him jarring.

I’ve seen some call him petty. I don’t necessarily agree with that. Bottom line is that chip on his shoulder that drove him, to reach that kind of greatness, that’s not a some of the time thing, that’s not something you just turn off. He didn’t wake up as one dude and then put a game face on to become another dude on the court. He’s MJ 24/7.

Last edited:

caffeware

Banned
To me this is just a generational thing.
There's no science to any of this, as rules and opposition had drastically changed from one era to the other.

Last edited:

DKehoe

As someone that's not from the US and doesn't know much about Jordan other than the very basics I'm curious to see this. Is this covering his full career or just a specific period? Or is there another Jordan documentary people would recommend?

Dark Star

Everyone knows MJ is the GOAT.

Just watch his highest scoring game against the Cavs. 69 points. The man was a juggernaut on the court. His work ethic was so impressive nobody could stop his game.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
MJ was great no doubt, but I think a little % of it was marketing. I mean ya he has the hardware and everything, but this guy was placed on a pedastal back then that is almost un heard of. MJ was everywhere. It was pounded into you that he was the greatest, so buy his shoes, his jersey, watch his movies etc....

I do want to say though that that era of sports was kinda unrivaled. Joe Montana, MJ, Wayne Gretzky, Bo Jackson, Mike Tyson. It was like every where you turned there was a sports superstar that was just dominating. It feels different now a days. Maybe its a generation thing I don't know. But back then sports stars were true SUPERSTARS that transcended the sports they played and became bigger than life.

highrider

Banned
Everything I’ve heard about Jordan as a person is very bad. Pretty much a degenerate gambler and asshole. And I’ve actually known a few guys that played with him on The Wizards.

cr0w

Old Member
LBJ plays in a league where looking at someone wrong can get a foul called on you. Jordan played in a league where players legit beat the shit out of each other on the court.

No one's debating LBJ's greatness, but Jordan and the Bulls were just on another level in a time when it was a much different, tougher game. I watched all 6 championships live, and today's NBA is like watching a fucking pillow fight in comparison.

Mista

Banned
Nobody can take away MJ's greatness and at the same time nobody can deny that the refs were easy on him and letting him go with lots of calls uncalled

Hulk_Smash

Banned
MJ is an interesting cat. His HoF induction speech kind of revealed to the world what a lot of people behind the scenes knew about him already. Not that he’s a bad dude, by any stretch, but he’s just very much “himself,” very unabashed almost to a point where people who expect star athletes to go through the motions and kiss all the babies find him jarring.

I’ve seen some call him petty. I don’t necessarily agree with that. Bottom line is that chip on his shoulder that drove him, to reach that kind of greatness, that’s not a some of the time thing, that’s not something you just turn off. He didn’t wake up as one dude and then put a game face on to become another dude on the court. He’s MJ 24/7.

His HOF induction speech was petulant and egotistical. He STILL called out his JV high school coach for cutting him (just to give him a spot the next year) in his HOF speech. He cried a few crocodile tears and basically talked about himself the rest of the time.

If you want to watch a true humble gentleman and professional give a worthy HOF induction speech, just rewind the tape of Jordan’s induction and listen to David Robinson’s speech. Night and day difference.

lingpanda

Jordan will always be the GOAT. With that said, two different era's. The physicality when Jordan played can't be compared to today's don't touch or foul era. I was fortunate enough to actually witness Jordan in his prime. Unbelievable greatness. I must of sung the "like Mike" tune on every neighborhood game I played. People that didn't get to see the players of old tend to discount them as weaker players of today. Jordan played against tough competition. Detroit Bad Boys were no joke. I used to say that Reggie Miller is the greatest shooter I have ever seen. Then came along Steph Curry. Hands down it's Steph. He is just a natural born shooter. Finally, what about Kobe? Phenomenal talent as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom