• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter chooses the Xbox to win the next generation

Go_Ly_Dow

Purely looking at it now (before Microsoft reveal and E3 whee things will likely change), i personally believe Sony has the upper edge.

-No head start
-More competitive pricing/<599
-1st party IP's that now have a fanbase that has grown on PS3
-Stronger hardware (may be a deciding factor with the hardcore/early adopters)

As I said tho, still a lot of factors to come in to play so I'm sure my outlook could change!

F25tZ93.jpg

How do they win when they sell the same?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if he has insider info about the Xbox and if so how much info he has. It's a bold prediction to make without much information.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Skype is not a killer app on anything, anywhere. I hate it even on the PC.

The PC plays games again. Who knew!

Certinty

It's like someone going:
"All my friends and family have Skype, I wonder what I should buy to be able to stay in contact with them. A laptop, PC, smartphone, Vita, tablet, oh wait, I'll actually buy the new Xbox since that has it."

Yeah...

Cartman86

Banned
He seem to be wrong more often then not, but I don't think he's wrong here. I'm loving what Sony's showing for games, but Microsoft is going to slay the home theater/TV app market.

You are crazy if you think the Vita because it has Skype kills his argument. His argument rests on the idea that Skype will always be running, integrated into the 720 which itself is always on, and will either replace your cable box, or overlay on top of your existing cable box. This is key for getting the average person interested in video calling.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
MS wont have a chance against the PS4 here in mainland europe.

spekkeh

Banned
hay hay guise, this is some really good news for Sony amirite, they must be patting each others backs by now rite, lolz.

*looks at first 75 posts.

Oh.

Stick a fork in the thread we're done.

Yawnier

Banned
So this means that:

- The Nextbox or `Durango` will finish dead last.
- PC Gaming will die off.
- TV Tuner and Skype will not be killer apps.

Good to know.

kirblar

Purely looking at it now (before Microsoft reveal and E3 whee things will likely change), i personally believe Sony has the upper edge.

-No head start
-More competitive pricing/<599
-1st party IP's that now have a fanbase that has grown on PS3
-Stronger hardware (may be a deciding factor with the hardcore/early adopters)

As I said tho, still a lot of factors to come in to play so I'm sure my outlook could change!
Sony also has the advantage in that they're the default option in Japan since the XBOX failed to establish a foothold there.

Lunar15

Once again, this is a pretty reasonable prediction. It's a pretty tame, but should be pretty likely given recent market trends.

I don't like a lot of things Pachter says, but the things I've seen at SXSW have been reasonable and not at all "hate" worthy. If you just dismiss everything he says, it makes it harder to be taken seriously when you call him out on things that are bogus.

Sorian

Banned
He seem to be wrong more often then not, but I don't think he's wrong here. I'm loving what Sony's showing for games, but Microsoft is going to slay the home theater/TV app market.

The second Genkai taps into instant downloads of more than just video games, thats when the home theater market is slain.

I can't refresh this thread fast enough

Corto

So Nintendo wins, PC is dead and EA and Activision get THQed?
I mean that these are fair predictions.

rbanke

I may be shortsighted here but I really don't see how a TV tuner would be a great addition to a console. I am among a growing group of people who don't have cable/satellite and get all my TV from free OTA HD, amazon, netflix, and other streaming services. In my eyes this is the path forward, There are certainly lots of people currently with cable, but its becoming less so all the time and I don't see how a tuner does anything but get less useful as time goes on.

MS wont have a chance against the PS4 here in mainland europe.

This is true. The tuner, with all other non-gaming stuff on the Xbox, will not be supported in Europe outside of the UK. Just too complicated to get deals in place with the content providers in all European countries.

Cartman86

Banned
The second Genkai taps into instant downloads of more than just video games, thats when the home theater market is slain.

I can't refresh this thread fast enough

Meaning what? Gaikai streaming of movies and TV? Why even use the word Gaikai here? Gaikai is a video game streaming service that uses 1 to 1 connections. It requires a PS4 on one end to run the game and send it to your PS4. It's a very specific technology. Ignoring Gaikai are you just talking about Sony getting into streaming video like Netflix? Everyone has Netflix. Besides that isn't even required. Instant downloading like what the PS4 does with games (would not doubt that Microsoft does it as well) is what both Microsoft and Sony have been doing with their video markets. You can stream, but also start downloading and then play after it's downloaded enough.

PG2G

You can already do it on wii u and 360 and not a fuck was given.

Video Chat with normal people (that aren't on a console) and that actually works in the background? I'm not too familiar with what Wii U has.

Wii U also lacks a standard camera, or there one in the pad? Still, it'd kind of defeat the purpose of video chat in the living room

Top Bottom