• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter chooses the Xbox to win the next generation

Cartman86

Banned
You can already do it on wii u and 360 and not a fuck was given.

Because those consoles aren't always on. No one wants to turn on their device at a pre-planned time to video chat with someone. They also don't want to boot up an app that takes 15 seconds to load all while kicking them out of whatever movie or game they are playing. Plus neither use a standard service that can work on other devices.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I presume the TV tuner will the US centred only? Why would the cable companies give MS rights to use their cable signal or are they unencrypted?

Can't see it working in Europe with content locked down with satellite encryption cards and same for cable TV but UPC, Virgin Media, etc..

Will be MS console by a device that goes between your cable box and TV?

vireland

The thing that concerns me about the new XBOX is the idea that it's running a Win8 kernel. If that's true, the PS4 and new Xbox may start out with similar performance results, but the PS4 will still have tons of power to burn, whereas the new XBOX will be hamstrung by the ill-advised decision to throw up a (slow) layer between the developer and the hardware. I really hope it's not the case, but that's my major concern with the next gen, and the reason I think the PS4 has a chance to come on strong.

meta4

I think all consoles will have video chatting abilities so I am not sure how Skype calling is going to be a killer app.

Paches

I think all consoles will have video chatting abilities so I am not sure how Skype calling is going to be a killer app.

He ran out of made up reasons to consider Xbox the winner of the next generation without seeing any of its real features.

Video Chat with normal people (that aren't on a console) and that actually works in the background? I'm not too familiar with what Wii U has.

Wii U also lacks a standard camera, or there one in the pad? Still, it'd kind of defeat the purpose of video chat in the living room
It's on the pad. I've never tried video chat on anything, so I'm not sure how much of a draw living room chat is.

Potentially last out of the gate, less powerful, and incredibly anti-consumer and pay to play online. Plus removed focus on actual gaming. Another Pachter faux-pas methinks.

The Lamp

This guy has a job doing this and most of you don't so he's not stupid.

I just don't see how he can be so confident about the numbers and results when the gaming industry is changing so rapidly this decade that it'll be hard to forecast with any certainty what might happen.

Trevelyon

If only Pachter could meet deadmeat. It'd be a unholy union of wrong on a scale humanity could not fathom and anything they back would just instantly implode into nothing.

Sorian

Banned
This guy has a job doing this and most of you don't so he's not stupid.

I just don't see how he can be so confident about the numbers and results when the gaming industry is changing so rapidly this decade that it'll be hard to forecast with any certainty what might happen.

Plenty of people have jobs that they don't deserve to have. I'm not saying that applies here but its the truth, regardless.

The thing that concerns me about the new XBOX is the idea that it's running a Win8 kernel. If that's true, the PS4 and new Xbox may start out with similar performance results, but the PS4 will still have tons of power to burn, whereas the new XBOX will be hamstrung by the ill-advised decision to throw up a (slow) layer between the developer and the hardware. I really hope it's not the case, but that's my major concern with the next gen, and the reason I think the PS4 has a chance to come on strong.

I guess you didn't study IT?

I presume the TV tuner will the US centred only? Why would the cable companies give MS rights to use their cable signal or are they unencrypted?

Can't see it working in Europe with content locked down with satellite encryption cards and same for cable TV but UPC, Virgin Media, etc..

Will be MS console by a device that goes between your cable box and TV?

And additionally: My television already has a digital tuner built in, and I have a smartcard directly plugged into the television. So what role is the Xbox going to play here?

I like how the Xbox wins with no mention of you know, GAMES. Remember those things?

But Nintendo's king-like software can't do much to help it this generation apparently.

Cartman86

Banned
And additionally: My television already has a digital tuner built in, and I have a smartcard directly plugged into the television. So what role is the Xbox going to play here?

The international part of this is a really good question. All the rumored specs list an 2 HDMI ports. One being an input. So it seems possible they they will get around people who have issues with their cable companies with HDMI passthrough.

Sorian

Banned
Are you serious or just that much of a fanboy?

I'm serious and let me also say that I love nintendo.

At this point in the market, to me, Nintendo and PC are kind of the same type of entity. They have morphed and formed into this weird being that doesn't actually compete with anything else. They are both just there, sometimes better, sometimes worse, but I never see them as a competition thing.

KongRudi

Banned
Isn't Pachter a Sony lover and always wrong?

No, in my opiniion I don't think he's a fanboy or anything, but he's been open about the fact that he prefer Microsoft, over Sony and Nintendo.

Everyone have a favourite, me I like Sony best - but I think I recall Pachter said in one of the earlier Pach-attacks on Gametrailers that he were rooting for Microsoft to win the consoleswars. He didn't like the japaneese companies as much because they came from a less open buisnessmodel, and harder to get in touch with.

L1NETT

Aside from (potentially) NA, where will the nexbox "win"? Here in the UK I can see it being evenish, and in mainland Europe unless MS pull their finger out Sony will crush them.

Not to mention Nintendo who, with some great games, will continue to make inroads.

AZ Greg

As mentioned in the other thread, I feel like his 720/PS4 #s are reasonable. I think the PS4 will be a little higher and the 720 will be a little lower, however. Though I do think his WiiU prediction is high.

Zeal

Banned
I get it...720 is about watching football in PnP while trash talking on Skype WHILE playing Halo 5. Ultimate dudebro experience.

I shall taketh part.

Tabz

Someone should shop this in the "war is over" with Kaz

sony_slide2..jpg

Why would anyone care about their 360 having Skype? Casual audience will be too busy making video calls with FaceTime and just ask gamers how much they give a shit about the WiiU's video calling.

Are you serious or just that much of a fanboy?

Unfortunatly the general public is going to percieve it this way as well. Nintendo already made three strikes with the Wii U. Poor marketing, severely underpowered hardware, and an abysmal game lineup for the launch and first year. Only way they have a chance at this point is if they release a ton of must have titles. Knowing Nintendo I'm very conident they will have a few but I doubt it will be enough for the average consumer to take Nintendo seriously. I'm thinking they have another Gamecube on their hands in terms of sales and public perception.

whitehawk

Banned
I'd like to see some polling done with average consumers. I'm highly skeptical that people are buying PS3s and 360's solely because of Skype and other apps. They are nice features, but I'm pretty sure everyone buys systems because they play games. Everything else is just a bonus.

Also the PS4 will have Skype too I imagine...

Tratorn

MS wont have a chance against the PS4 here in mainland europe.

Yes, but next-gen they'll probably dominate even more in the US. And Sony will sell even less consoles in japan than this gen, so their advantage there will be lower than this gen.

We'll have to wait and see if europe + japan is enough for the ps4 to close the gap.

But they'll probably be really close again.

JCizzle

I agree that the TV tuner will be a 'killer' move simply because they'll be able to partner and offer the subsidized device. That will be a big selling point depending on how it's structured.

Top Bottom