• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter says "PC Gamers are like Racists"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
What arguments?

When you say it like that, I realize you're right. It's more a blanket statement than anything substantial to sort of appeal to a certain audience who I guess think PC Gamers are a problem in gaming communities.

But I do think it's raised a number of interesting branching discussion topics thus far among some of these posts. There is some things to be talked about in terms of gaming platform fanboyism and the perception of 'us vs them' mentality, as well as the state of online gaming communities and platform preference.

What arguments?

Isn't it obvious? The argument is that PC Gamers are more likely to stick with their PCs than they are to jump ship to a console, even a beefed up one like PS4Pro or Scorpio.

Personally, I think he's right.

Edit: I suppose I should add an addendum. I think his core argument is sound; I think a large proportion of PC Gamers that chase the latest and greatest are far less likely to dip on a console, but I think the language used doesn't properly convey that argument.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
To be frankly honest I think more people perceive PC gamers as using the slogan than actual people who play PC games do. I see it mostly either used as a joke or people thinking this is how PC gamers view themselves.

PC gamers around here are cool. But venture over to the cesspool that is Reddit's PCMR forum, and you'll find that yeah, a lot of them really view themselves as superior to everyone not playing on a PC.

I really have no idea where this sentiment comes from.

Silverstone SG05
i5 3570k @ stock
EVGA Nvidia 1070
8GB DDR3
250 Samsung 850 EVO
1tb 7200rpm WD HDD
You clearly haven't checked your PC privilege.

He's naturally referring to the PC Master race zealots that perpetuate the interwebs.

It's awful language to use as an analogy though. Painting with a broad brush and not relatable to racism in any way.

Honestly there is nothing more fun than posting a Xbox picture on a PC enthusiast post on Facebook.

I just sit back and watch in glory of the posts!

I told them my phone was as equal as a PC the other day, gave me at least 24 hours worth of entertainment watching that unfold

So you're a troll basically?lol

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Trivializing racism by comparing it to people not buying electronics is some next level fuckery.

Yep, he could have easily said PC people are exclusionary and not picked up any of the context that comes from saying "racist." Just an utterly stupid comparison to make.

I have PC friends, I have console friends, so I get it, it's cool.

Akronis

PC gamers around here are cool. But venture over to the cesspool that is Reddit's PCMR forum, and you'll find that yeah, a lot of them really view themselves as superior to everyone not playing on a PC.

Welcome to every fanbase having their own echo chamber of bullshit on the internet. Not just exclusive to PC. Gained infamy by having it created by a semi-notable joke reviewer.

martino

An exageration? Comparing EVEN the PC MAster Race PC gamer son that subreddit to racist is STUPID.

It's something I'd expect a petulant child to say to his friends in the schoolyard. Not what I'd expect a grown ass man say to an interviewer from a newspaper.

This is Trump levels of idiotic.

Maybe it is because he sees Trump can run for office in the next presidential elections with this level of argument, he does this move.

GeoGonzo

How about the console warboys?

This nonsense can be generalized to any fanbase.
They're just as bad but not relevant to the discussion.

Prachett is an analist, he constantly has to make generalizations and label people to attempt to predict and explain consumer patterns.

His point is that PC gamers wont care about a new console because it is still a console, and he makes his point (as he often does) a bit crassly for the sake of clarity and entertainment.

Fellow "PC gamers", I beg of you, don't choose this hill to die on. This is dumb.

MazeHaze

Banned
That statement is the epitome of ignorance. I game mostly on PC, but I don't ever really think about gamers as console gamers or pc gamers. We all play most of the same games regardless of platform, and I'd wager the majority of pc gamers also own a console. I've been playing Overwatch and the witcher 3 lately, I'm sure plenty of console owners are doing the same. If I hadn't been fortunate enough to have the extra income for a PC, I'd be playing both on PS4 with no complaints.

amdb00mer

Well, this is the response one can expect when they constantly shout "PC Master Race". I think most of us know it's a tongue-in-cheek thing. Meant to be all in good fun, but some people will take it literally and you get responses like Michael Pachter's.

Isn't it obvious? The argument is that PC Gamers are more likely to stick with their PCs than they are to jump ship to a console, even a beefed up one like PS4Pro or Scorpio.

Personally, I think he's right.

This is not an argument, it is an opinion or a prediction if you prefer. The argument comes after the opinion in order to explain or validate it. In this case the argument that supports his opinion is that "PC gamers are arrogant twits". So he has an opinion which he is trying to support by using the most idiotic argument humanly possible.

Archtreyz

I think comparing PC owners to racists is insulting to racists.

I'm building my new PC right now and I'm excited to join this club again!

jaypah

If you go to any platform specific forum you will think that fanbase is the scum of the earth. So PC gamers don't always buy other platforms. Big deal. Around half of the PS fanbase hasn't bought an Xbox but I wouldn't compare that to racism. That's just stupid.

In this case, Pachter strikes me as an ignorant manchild who can only deal in broad strokes. Are PS4-only players racist for not having any interest in the XBone, or the PC?

Seriously, what a ridiculous, exaggerated thing to say.

Manu

You don't even have to go that far. I'm on other gaming groups and pages in social media and most PC gaming fits the PCMR stereotype. We even had to ban PCMR talk in a group I admin.

One of the biggest PC gaming related sites here is PC Master Race Latin America. They have guides on how to build your own PC that say you should never "get on the level of a console peasant" and spews bullshit about consoles "keeping games hostage because otherwise nobody would buy them."

GAF is the outlier.

EDIT: I would never call these people "racist" though. That's just dumb.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Well, this is the response one can expect when they constantly shout "PC Master Race". I think most of us know it's a tongue-in-cheek thing. Meant to be all in good fun, but some people will take it literally and you get responses like Michael Pachter's.

Who's they? ;)

Watch how you're approaching this, man. I'm an evangelical PC gamer through and through, but I've never shouted (or typed) "PC Master Race".

#notallPCgamers

Such a surreal thread.

I bought a PS4 to compliment my PC and only ever played 5 games on it: Last of Us, Until Dawn, Bloodborne, Journey and Final Fantasy Type-0. I also have a Nintendo DS XL I play with occasionally. And I play with my mobile phone too, almost daily. Rest of my hundreds of games are on my PC. I'm planning on upgrading it for VR capabilities.

I'm interested in "mixing it up" with other platforms, so I guess I'm not a PC gamer then?

Budi

Yeah sure some of us are. But that behaviour is in no way restricted to PC gamers. To me console warriors (whatever platform really) are even worse in dismissing other console platforms. And it's not just PC gamers that shit on low spec hardware, just look at how people have reacted to Wii, Wii U and possible power of NX.

Personally I've always played on multiple platforms and just at start of this year I bought my first "high" end PC, because of this it's true that I have no interest in PS4 Pro or Scorpio. But i'm still very interested in NX. Even though it will be the weakest platform in hardware.

Really dissappointed to hear Pach talking like this, I have always liked him. Still do, but I see him bit differently now. I guess it's all the PC master race idiots acting like douchebags that give PC gamers a bad name.

Fredrik

Idiotic comparison. Wow. And this dumb statement shouldn't be applied to PC gamers alone, any fan of any product or product segment goes under that stupid racism umbrella since any fan usually think their favorite product is the best etc.
Isn't fanboy the correct term here?

martino

"Why doesn't everyone play on PC?"

23406482.jpg

Kuga

I'm not racist against consoles, but...

The Vita is the best piece of gaming hardware I've owned besides my PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom