• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announce new Proteus controller for disabled gamers

Banjo64

cumsessed
On Wednesday, Microsoft announced the Proteus Controller, a $299 modular video game controller kit that lets Xbox gamers with disabilities customize their controllers.

Created by peripheral company ByoWave as part of the Designed for Xbox program, the wireless controller consists of small cubes with interchangeable faceplates that include controller buttons, a directional pad, and analog sticks.

The "snap and play" parts connect together so gamers can build more than 100 configurations and LED lighting variations. As a result, one-handed gamers and other players with disabilities can use the controller in a way that's most comfortable for them. The buttons are also remappable for a more individualized experience, albeit only via the companion app.

At launch, the Proteus Controller will work with the Xbox Series X / S, Xbox One, and Windows 10 and 11. ByoWave says it won't support PlayStation 5 or Nintendo Switch, though it's open to partnering with these platforms.

The controller is expected to ship this fall, though it's available to preorder via ByoWave's website at a discounted price of $255 right now. The kit will include a USB-C charging cable and a Bluetooth dongle, as well as other parts like left and right handles to create a traditional gamepad and two large one-button peripherals.

Along with introducing a new controller, Microsoft is also updating its $99.99 Xbox Adaptive Controller, which was released in 2018 to help players build adaptive gaming setups.

The controller will soon support more accessories, with each USB port soon offering support for up to 12 buttons, a second stick, and a hat switch. The firmware update will be available to the public in the next few months but will roll out over the next couple of weeks to Xbox Insiders.

feynoob

trust me MS, you need that help far more than we do
x-men marvel GIF

Banjo64

cumsessed
That's cool, but the prices on these controllers is always too high. This one is $299.
I’ve always viewed that as a necessity.

There’s significant r&d for these peripherals and they are only probably going to sell a million of them if they’re lucky. They appear really well thought out and researched.

Being honest if I needed this to game it’d be the easiest £300 I’d ever drop.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I’ve always viewed that as a necessity.

There’s significant r&d for these peripherals and they are only probably going to sell a million of them if they’re lucky. They appear really well thought out and researched.

Being honest if I needed this to game it’d be the easiest £300 I’d ever drop.

True, true. For someone who *needs* something like this to do something they want to / like to do, $300 might as well be nothing.

winjer

Gold Member
It's great that Microsoft created a controller like this.
But that price will be prohibitly expensive for a lot of people.

John Bilbo

That's cool. I'd love to see some videos explaining the features and how to use the controller in different ways and effectively.

I think the price includes the amount of work to design and produce such a controller. Also I think this controller will be quite durable with quality long lasting parts.

Of course the sticks will still drift though.

Yep, they sure do. That is why they are worth 3.14 trillion dollars....

This is so true. It's hilarious fanboys shitting on microsoft. Microsoft are literally playing a completely different game to Sony these days. I'm not saying that is good for fans of the gaming industry. But let's not act like Microsoft are "losing" right now. My stocks in MS certainly suggest otherwise.

Three

This is so true. It's hilarious fanboys shitting on microsoft. Microsoft are literally playing a completely different game to Sony these days. I'm not saying that is good for fans of the gaming industry. But let's not act like Microsoft are "losing" right now. My stocks in MS certainly suggest otherwise.
MS isn't losing. Xbox is.

Banjo64

cumsessed
That's cool. I'd love to see some videos explaining the features and how to use the controller in different ways and effectively.

I think the price includes the amount of work to design and produce such a controller. Also I think this controller will be quite durable with quality long lasting parts.

Of course the sticks will still drift though.

Cool stuff, would love to see a video on why they designed it like this and how its going to work.

Hopefully these guys put out a review as I think they did a better job of showing the benefits of the adaptive pad than any industry journo did. It’ll depend on the suitability obviously.

Last edited:
Top Bottom