• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announced Xbox Game Pass subscription service

Jackpot

Banned
So $120 a year for a ton of games? What's the catch? Have a list with a few leading games like Halo and then the rest filler?

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
people keep saying Well your move Sony..

Sony most likely won't do shit, because they know they have the highest market share right now with 50 million consoles sold and the highest platform for software as well, they sadly won't give a shit even though we want them to.

Smasher89

Nice, even though I dont have a Xbone, got a ps4 on the way and waiting on switch to become a better deal, I like the pressure this sets on the companies for a online service made as a potencial good deal (until they do the inevitable up in price after normalization, like ps+).

gamz

Sony most likely won't do shit, because they know they have the highest market share right now with 50 million consoles sold and the highest platform for software as well, they sadly won't give a shit even though we want them to.

They can't do shit because they can't download PS3 games on the PS4. Thus, the PSnow streaming thingy.

I'm sure if they could, they would.

They tried, with streaming, that was Something they wanted to take off....problem is we don't want to play streamed games.

If anything this is Microsoft answering Sony's initial move

Neat

Neo Member
The future of Gamefly, catering to people with a bandwidth cap

Select a list of games you want. We'll download the games and send you a hard drive with them installed. Keep hard drive as long as you want (monthly fee), or return whenever if you want to change out the games.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
They can't do shit because they can't download PS3 games on the PS4. Thus, the PSnow streaming thingy.

They tried, with streaming, that was Something they wanted to take off....problem is we don't want to play streamed games.

If anything this is Microsoft answering Sony's initial move

no but they could still ps2 games and ps2 clasics can't they?

that would be better than nothing. A service where you can play unlimited ps2 and ps1 games even

EvB

To be honest, their entire network infrastructure is built upon what they had for PS3. If they can't put in place the systems that let you change your username , what hope in hell do they have to create the backend to enable this kind of stuff?

Xbox Live for Xbox One was rebuilt from scratch to serve the "next generation" and the things that would bring

Zeta Oni

Is there any list of those games available even for alpha owners?

A Kingdom for Keflings
Banjo-Kazooie
Comic Jumper
Dark Void
Defense Grid 2
Gears of War Judgement
Gears of War Ultimate Edition
Halo: Spartan Assault
Hexic 2
Jetpac Refuelled
Kameo
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
Monday Night Combat
Ms. Splosion Man
OF: Dragon Rising
Perfect Dark Zero
Sacred 3
Sam&Max Beyond Time
Sunset Overdrive
The Maw
Viva Pinata

Edit: Bolded are Xbox One games

Matt

LOL!

Here we go...
?

Don't know what you are implying. Certainly the negotiations and scheduling of games for XBLG and Games Pass with affect each other. It remains to be seen in what way and how much. I'm hopeful for Games Pass overall.

Flux

+Cheaper than Now
+Xbox One (modern titles)
+Puts pressure on competition

-Not Instant
-Less than 1/4 the Now library at launch
I'd argue that the not instant thing isn't so much a negative given how it barely functions for instant streaming games. One day the infrastructure will catch up and benefit all of us.

Gamezone

Gold Member
If Sony and Nintendo join in this would effectively kill off GS. Even if they do not join in, the rapid devaluation of big AAA games has been causing them serious problems with resale and trade in values. They really are up against it.

Yeah. I remember physical movie rental shops dying pretty fast after Netflix hit the market.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'd argue that the not instant thing isn't so much a negative given how it barely functions for instant streaming games. One day the infrastructure will catch up and benefit all of us.

I can only speak from personal experience when I say I never once had an issue with Now the few times I've used it (Sonic Generations and Motorstorm Apocalypse).

A Kingdom for Keflings
Banjo-Kazooie
Comic Jumper
Dark Void
Defense Grid 2
Gears of War Judgement
Hexic 2
Jetpac Refuelled
Kameo
Monday Night Combat
Ms. Splosion Man
Perfect Dark Zero
Sacred 3
Sam&Max Beyond Time
Sunset Overdrive
The Maw
Viva Pinata

Thanks for the list! You're doing good work!

Eolz

I'm sure they could make PS Now attractive in terms of pricing ar least...

+Cheaper than Now
+Xbox One (modern titles)
+Puts pressure on competition

-Not Instant
-Less than 1/4 the Now library at launch
1/4th of what the Now library was at launch?
Or Microsoft is only offering 1/4th of the current Now library?

BC started off with just like 10-20 games
Now they are at what....240 something?

EA access started with next to nothing now there are more games than I know what to do with.

KalBalboa

Banned
-not available on more platform besides Xbone

Good point.

1/4th of what the Now library was at launch?
Or Microsoft is only offering 1/4th of the current Now library?

PS Now has around 450-500 titles at the moment. If we're comparing the services (which I am) you'd be paying $10/mo for less than 1/4 the amount of titles.

They'll certainly catch up, but it's not the kind of thing I'm dismissing.

Ganhyun

Wait is that confirmed anywhere? I do not need XBox Live in order to sign up for this service?

That makes it a total gamechanger for me alone...

It was in the article. The only reason you'd need Gold would be if you wanted to play the game's multiplayer content (if it has it).

I'm surprised they didn't save this bomb for E3, they must be confident. Or maybe they are trying to safe face in case a certain Scorpio is more than just an mid gen console. But I'm not gonna jump the gun.

Outrun

This seems to be the same reasoning for inhibiting xplay between Live and PS4.

Sony is in control, and they get to dictate the pace.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Funny how many people bash PSNow for almost nothing. The only thing you can bash on is the price, not performance. If they give us a better price and add PS1 and PS2, then there is nothing wrong with it.

Good point.

PS Now has around 450-500 titles at the moment. If we're comparing the services (which I am) you'd be paying $10/mo for less than 1/4 the amount of titles.

They'll certainly catch up, but it's not the kind of thing I'm dismissing.
And I'm bringing up that even Now had a humbling beginning with not a great list of titles. Sunset Overdrive is worth the price of admission alone.

El Topo

Funny how many people bash PSNow for almost nothing. The only thing you can bash about it is the price, not the performance. If they give us a better price and add PS1 and PS2, then there is nothing wrong with it.

You can bash it for not having launched in all regions (e.g. Germany).

KalBalboa

Banned
And I'm bringing up that even Now had a humbling beginning with not a great list of titles. Sunset Overdrive is worth the price of admission alone.

Unfortunately the Xbox Game Pass isn't launching simultaneously with PS Now. It's launching at a time when Now has nearly 500 games on it.

For comparison's sake, you're paying $10/mo for 100 titles versus $15/mo for 4x that amount.

RedAssedApe

Banned
With the price hike of ps+ Sony should at least give subscribers access to the PS3 titles via psnow if it's a supported game.

A Kingdom for Keflings
Banjo-Kazooie
Comic Jumper
Dark Void
Defense Grid 2
Gears of War Judgement
Hexic 2
Jetpac Refuelled
Kameo
Monday Night Combat
Ms. Splosion Man
Perfect Dark Zero
Sacred 3
Sam&Max Beyond Time
Sunset Overdrive
The Maw
Viva Pinata

Edit: Bolded are Xbox One games

Assuming the catalog will be better once ms figures out the contracts with various publishers. Heh

KalBalboa

Banned
Any news on if Play Anywhere games work with this? Because then I'd actually have an interest in this program.

That's where the key difference with Now pops up: you'd need to have Xbox 360 emulation going on with Windows 10 with some sort of hardware requirements.

With a service like Now any modern computer can stream the video feed.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

Unless every publisher gets in on this to fight off used games I don't think Sony will make a move, but I'm sure they have an eye on this right now.

Great idea business wise for Microsoft, but I'm super negative about digital games.

I want to own a tangible copy in case shit goes down and the services are unavailable.

I always be able to just pop the disk in and play old skool.

On another note:

Microsoft is really sneaky. They're slowly retracing their plans from the Xbone reveal.

And lol @ GameStop. That's a bitch.

sangreal

Any news on if Play Anywhere games work with this? Because then I'd actually have an interest in this program.

yes, play anywhere games work. there aren't that many though. probably not enough to justify $10 yet

from the site:
Xbox Game Pass is an Xbox One, Xbox Play Anywhere, and Xbox 360 backward compatibility game subscription for Xbox One;

MilkyJoe

That's where the key difference with Now pops up: you'd need to have Xbox 360 emulation going on with Windows 10 with some sort of hardware requirements.

But one requires, I imagine, a fairly decent Internet connection?

I'm thinking strictly Xbone games atm - things like Gears 4, or Ultimate if they hadn't fucked it completely up.

KalBalboa

Banned
Unless every publisher gets in on this to fight off used games I don't think Sony will make a move, but I'm sure they have an eye on this right now.

Great idea business wise for Microsoft, but I'm super negative about digital games.

I want to own a tangible copy in case shit goes down and the services are unavailable.

I always be able to just pop the disk in and play old skool.

On another note:

Microsoft is really sneaky. They're slowly retracing their plans from the Xbone reveal.

And lol @ GameStop. That's a bitch.

The only bummer for me with the physical route is the valley my PS2 fell in by not having HDMI out. My KS8000 has no support for component or composite, so right now that generation sits as a paperweight under my TV until I splurge on a Framemeister.

AmuroChan

SO is a great game no doubt, but you can buy a copy for $10 and own it. You don't need to pay $10 a month to rent it.

Top Bottom