• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announced Xbox Game Pass subscription service

Zeta Oni

I just cant figure out how the games being cycled in or out of the service is a dealbreaker for some when the option to buy is still always on the table, at a discount.

If you have an active subscription, then you notice a game is gonna get removed soon that your worried about losing access to..

Just buy it....

For 20% cheaper.

As mentioned before, Netflix doesn't even do that.

Trago

If this really takes off, trust and believe Sony and Nintendo will take notice and make their own answers to this service.

sibarraz

Banned
well that means if I care enough to play some old games, I have to play it when MS says when to play it.

for me the urge to play old games is a bit spontaneous, like wants to play rise after watching the gladiator movie.

this feels really like paying for demos. Goal of publishers is to entice people to buy old games at the discount price.

Can we have Steam seasonal mega sale instead? it is more honest.

1) for a rental service, 120 a year is a bit steep. yes Netflix is also 10 dollars a month but people can watch 3 movies a night. No one can finish 3 games a day.

3) how is it possible nothing will change. the games come from the same pool.

Do you watch 3 full length movies on netflix all nights? on the same logic, I could play 3 games a month

Somnia

Only criticism is hasn't all those xbox one games been on gold already (apart from gears)

Has every xbox owner been a gold owner for the last 3+ years to have gotten all those games? Sure use hardcore gamers have had our subscription and have them, but for a lot of gamers they will be new to them.

loki0wn

Only criticism is hasn't all those xbox one games been on gold already (apart from gears)

Halo 5 hasn't been on gold and is part of the bundle. Seems like it will rotate out periodically, which may cause issues. They'll likely only replace the least played games and offer a steep(er) discount as their life cycle ends

AmuroChan

I just cant figure out how the games being cycled in or out of the service is a dealbreaker for some when the option to buy is still always on the table, at a discount.

If you have an active subscription, then you notice a game is gonna get removed soon that your worried about losing access to..

Just buy it....

For 20% cheaper.

As mentioned before, Netflix doesn't even do that.

I think the skepticism surrounds the price that the $20 discount is off of. Will it be the MSRP price or the current value of the game? That seems to be a major problem with digital game pricing today as many games that you can get at retail for $30 a couple months after release are still priced at $59.99 on the digital storefronts.

Toki767

Halo 5 hasn't been on gold and is part of the bundle. Seems like it will rotate out periodically, which may cause issues. They'll likely only replace the least played games and offer a steep(er) discount as their life cycle ends
I can see most Microsoft first party games just permanently staying in the selection.

But even Halo 5 has been on sale digitally for like $20 already.

I'm curious if the discounts will stack with weekly sales.

Why would this affect Gamestop?

I've spent probably like 200 getting old BC games there. Literally all of them will likely show up on this service.

I can see most Microsoft first party games just permanently staying in the selection.

But even Halo 5 has been on sale digitally for like $20 already.

I'm curious if the discounts will stack with weekly sales.

Yup, and making cash on microtransactions and season passes. Lot easier to justify the 20-30 bucks when you're getting the game "for free"

QuikNez

Wow. It's so simple but so brilliant.

Bravo Microsoft. I tip my hat.

Just the tip?

On another note, any insight into how the games will look? I'm gathering Scorpio will have this and the graphical fidelity will increase to match?

Either way, a good reason to consider Scorpio and Xbox overall.

Well done MS!

odhiex

Don't count them out just yet, I think Sony would do something "similar" and it would be announced at E3.

That's my prediction.

You have the option of buying it. It's a win win for pubs and members.

You'll probably just lose the licence to start the game again.

When you launch the game you will probably be told you don't own it. Like when you launch a disk game without the disk the Xbox will ask "do you own this game?" And give you and option to either put the disk in or buy it on the store. It will probably be something similar to that.

You wont be able to play it but you could buy it and continue where you left off.

I would imagine the download stays, but the license will be revoked and you won't be able to play it till you buy it.

Now, I wonder if you can use a pre-owned disc version of said game to renew the license of an expired library game.......

My guess is that it locks it down unless you either purchase it, or it becomes free again sometime down the road, sort of like Plus does when your sub lapses.

Just like renting a movie from Amazon, Vudu, iTunes, etc.

Except you get 30 days to play it if you start when it's added....vs only 24 hours with movies on the above services. When it cycles out you can buy it.

Pretty simple it appears. A great deal if there are a lot of games you don't own.

Thanks y'all. The difference between games and movies is the time you have to spend playing them, so losing the game when it's being removed will be annoying. However, they can easily implement a warning feature with like 14 days prior to the game being removed to inform you.

gamz

Thanks y'all. The difference between games and movies is the time you have to spend playing them, so losing the game when it's being removed will be annoying. However, they can easily implement a warning feature with like 14 days prior to the game being removed to inform you.

; - )

krang

I wonder if Sony has an EA Access-type thing agreed with Activision for announcement at E3 (including Destiny prior to Destiny 2), and MS are trying to get ahead of them.

/pure speculation

Chris1

I wonder if Sony has an EA Access-type thing agreed with Activision for announcement at E3 (including Destiny prior to Destiny 2), and MS are trying to get ahead of them.

/pure speculation
Activision doesn't make enough games to have a vault like EA Access. Only Ubisoft does.

And considering Sony turned down EA Access, I doubt they're gonna make a deal with Ubisoft.

Was wondering when someone would follow EA Access, but I didn't expect it to be MS. It's a no-brainer of an idea provided that you have a lot of titles to offer and I'm surprised that we haven't seen indies band together to offer something to create long-tail revenue for their old offerings considering the glut of new competition at that level. Looking at the alpha preview list, which is obviously not the first release one, I'm sad that I only have one title I don't already own to download in Hexic 2 (which I thought I did buy).

shoreu

How many subscriptions y'all prepared to have when the free Xbox Live Games with Gold titles turns to suckfest because of the drive to get people playing the subscription for the good games?

I don't buy gold for free games from gwg it's a bonus for me. This service isn't for me, unless newer stuff is offered which they most likely won't.

I hope this becomes successful so golds price drops

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Wait, this is coming to Win10 down the line?

So...
I could get Virtua Fighter 5 on PC?

giphy.gif

I've waited

so long

People constantly saying this is getting old, but I'm not going to get into this crap system war back and forth about which one "treats" me right when both want my money and I buy games to play games, not because it's on a Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo system.

That's the first time I ever said anything like that on this forum. And don't plan on it again.
Read my posts. It's like you deliberately didn't read the post I was replying to, lol.

I go where the games are, period. Just like I had 360 most of last gen. I'm getting a switch one day, I'll get another Xbone in the future when they either a new dope game or the price.

Chris1

Destiny + CoD + Diablo + Overwatch(?) would attract a lot of people.
That's not what I'm saying

You can't have a program like this and put like 2 new games on it a year. And that's assuming they put CoD and Destiny on it within a year, because noone (not literally) wants to play 2+ years old CoDs

yyr

Now, I wonder if you can use a pre-owned disc version of said game to renew the license of an expired library game.......

This already works. Xbox One does not differentiate between disc and digital; they are the same thing. You can pop in the disc and off you go, picking up right from where you left off.

Chris1

When many of the games are popular multiplayer titles, I'd argue that you could, assuming the price was lower.

How much lower are we talking here? EA Access is $30 a year and that had 24 games added in 2016 and 4 in 2017 so far.

Is there even 24 Activision games on the PS4 total ?

For activision to compete their service would have to be like $5 a year or they'd just become the laughing stock.

Edit: Even if you exclude the BC games, there was 13 Xbox One games added to EA Access vault in 2016.

The only publisher that could do it is probably Ubisoft.

Hubble

Awesome idea. Awesome you get to download the actual game too. It would be great if sales hit the Xbox Game Pass too like EA Access and Xbox Live. You might be able snag it close to half-off at times.

Top Bottom