• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces purchase of Minecraft creator Mojang

hoos30

As time goes on, I think MS will care more about enticing people to sign up for a Microsoft account, than they will with selling a home console, imo. I think this is early signs of them laying the seeds of possible turning into a services and game division, and getting rid of MS specific hardware. If they have the games available on the cloud, and on other platforms like steam/playstation, and have everyone signed up with a MS account and Gold, then they don't need to really waste time on everything that goes into having a physical console.

Yes, they want Xbox as a service to be a big gaming brand. And that is something they can do without having a physical console. The "Xbox" brand is more than just a console these days. When you mention the word Xbox, it encompasses much more than just the console itself, it means Music, Video, Reading, television, the cloud, a great online infrastructure, smartglass, game branding on mobile/PC/360/X1.

I don't believe they will sell it...but transition it away from MS specific hardware dependent? I think it could happen.

This. Remember, Microsoft's "opponent" is not Sony and Nintendo...it's Google, Apple and Amazon.

I think the next Minecraft will be exclusive to Microsoft systems personally. Minecraft is already available on nearly every system now so Microsoft would look REALLY bad to suddenly pull it from non-MS systems; however, if they keep supporting every version until the next Minecraft comes into play, then suddenly the next Minecraft becomes a major hook for Xbox and Windows Phone platforms while avoiding any bad PR in the process because, by then, the next Minecraft will have been developed as part of Microsoft studios.

I don't agree. I think it will probably be on Xbox and PC first and then ported to all mobile devices. If there is any sort of exclusivity, it will be that the next Minecraft will not be on other consoles.

SentryDown

I don't agree. I think it will probably be on Xbox and PC first and then ported to all mobile devices. If there is any sort of exclusivity, it will be that the next Minecraft will not be on other consoles.

Making a new Minecraft isn't probably in their plans. I'm pretty sure they didn't invested 2,5 billions in a indie game licence but in a 60 millions users base. Now that bukkit is dead and new EULA arrived, let the DLC/expansion packs will flow.

(Actually I would love some kind of narrative adventures with secondary characters, voice over, new mechanics and so on, some Minecraft adventure map are amazing).

Tookay

Making a new Minecraft isn't probably in their plans. I'm pretty sure they didn't invested 2,5 billions in a indie game licence but in a 60 millions users base. Now that bukkit is dead and new EULA arrived, let the DLC/expansion packs will flow.

(Actually I would love some kind of narrative adventures with secondary characters, voice over, new mechanics and so on, some Minecraft adventure map are amazing).
I'm willing to bet a significant sum of money (not $2.5b) that it's in their plans.

RayMaker

Banned
As time goes on, I think MS will care more about enticing people to sign up for a Microsoft account, than they will with selling a home console, imo. I think this is early signs of them laying the seeds of possible turning into a services and game division, and getting rid of MS specific hardware. If they have the games available on the cloud, and on other platforms like steam/playstation, and have everyone signed up with a MS account and Gold, then they don't need to really waste time on everything that goes into having a physical console.

Yes, they want Xbox as a service to be a big gaming brand. And that is something they can do without having a physical console. The "Xbox" brand is more than just a console these days. When you mention the word Xbox, it encompasses much more than just the console itself, it means Music, Video, Reading, television, the cloud, a great online infrastructure, smartglass, game branding on mobile/PC/360/X1.

I don't believe they will sell it...but transition it away from MS specific hardware dependent? I think it could happen.

I think they will only do this when cloud/internet gaming becomes as good as local hardware, and if that does happen Sony would follow suit otherwise they would be at a disadvantage in terms of hardware cost and visuals.

People say cloud/on live/ PlayStation now gaming will never be as good as local computing/gaming, but remember it was less then 20 years ago when we were using 56k dial up modems. In 10 years I can see cloud gaming being better or at least as good as the middle of the line pc's.

Top Bottom