• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces the Surface Studio

Status
Not open for further replies.
The landing page gives me options for 256 / 512 / 1TB GB configurations but when I go to the store theyre 1TB and 2TB. Does that mean theres a possibility of getting this with SSDs instead of that hybrid thing theyre talking about?

Admodieus

Honestly Microsoft should take the back half of that reveal video and just use that as a commercial for the thing. No more dancing or singing people snapping kickstands out or whatever, just let the product do the talking. Everybody is impressed.

Xun

Beautiful piece of hardware for creatives.

I'm honestly not sure what Apple is playing at nowadays and I say that as a longtime user.

Practicality is a thing of the past with them and their "Pro" line is a joke.

The only thing they've done in recent years which has impressed me is the Pencil.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I could deal with 256 levels of pressure sensitivity if I have to - that's not what I'm concerned about. My concerns are in parralax issues and how it tracks the tip, angle, and rotation of the stylus. As far as I know DTK is the only digitizer that addresses/ solves these issues and anything else introduced into the market so far has been a demonstrable compromise... and wacom knows this. It's why their cintiqs/ cintiq companions are so overpriced compared to what they actually offer. If you want this digitizer they are the only people you can get it from, which has felt extremely anti competitive for years and years.

My hope is that it is indeed a contender and it forces wacom to get it's shit together or make something so good that it invalidates the stranglehold wacom has on the market.

The surface pro, Apple Pencil and Wacoms new active pens hav less parallax than the Cintiq from what I can tell.

Surface Pro pens had other issues mostly how much pressure it took to get it to register and jittery lines when drawing slowly. Not sure if they have been fixed with driver or with newer pens.

If Apple ever decides to add Pencil to macs I could see it being a threat as well to cintiqs. Ipad pro is the closest thing to drawing on paper imo, but IOS is not really built for high end workflows.

GreyWind

I've said this in that other thread but the video introducing the Surface Studio was just wow. Can't wait to see Scorpio's design.

Fuck that is beautiful hardware. I can't justify it at all but I want it. Hopefully they'll bring a smaller dial for the other Surface lines. That would be pretty damn useful in stylus mode.

Sony

Nintendo
Maybe a mod can edit the title to offer a bit more clarity on what it is?

Any OT suggestions?

Microsoft Surface Studio [OT] One-in-all, All-in-One

I've said this in that other thread but the video introducing the Surface Studio was just wow. Can't wait to see Scorpio's design.

the slow dolly shot with the dissolve between different studios/offices was really freaking good.

Any OT suggestions?

"Wacom Quality, Wacom Prices"

Exile20

Honestly Microsoft should take the back half of that reveal video and just use that as a commercial for the thing. No more dancing or singing people snapping kickstands out or whatever, just let the product do the talking. Everybody is impressed.

not everyone.

the price and 980m is a bummer

Breads

Banned
Imagine the dial letting you switch between layers. I'd use that all day if I were in a stylus-heavy project.

It's definitely a hell of a lot more interesting than the remote control pad on the 27QHD from wacom. I don't use that thing at all... instead favoring the one handed game pad Nostromo for all of my shortcut/ functionality needs.

Meatfist

Gorgeous, we might get one for our graphic designers to play around with. The specs are a little underwhelming, I'm sure if they released just the screen for less than $2K they could take a huge bite out of Wacom's market share

Kthulhu

I'm impressed. I wondered how a Surface all in one would look, but I never thought it'd look like this. I'm really interested to see how this will turn out.

Falchion

That's pretty sweet if you need something like that for work. I'm happy with my Surface Pro 3 I've been using for a little over a year.

jax

Banned
I don't need this at all as I have a specced out Surface Book.

But fuck me that is sexy.

This is beautiful. Wish it was a Wacom digitizer though.

My thoughts summed up exactly. If I had an extra three grand, however, I'd be forking it over ASAP.

As it is, I'm just getting a keyboard for my PC and a Puck for my SB. :O

I really hope they let us buy the "Performance Mode" base for our SBs.. bought the highest end i7 for the potential of upgrading it. The lump on the new base doesn't bother me, I want 16 hour battery and increased graphics. lol :(
But how much would that thing even cost alone? Probably around 700 right? Then what do I do with the old one? gah.

Futureman

Someone said it well in the even thread... it's expensive, not overpriced.

If money wasn't an issue and you didn't even necessarily have any design aspirations, would you buy this or an iMac?

In the past, the answer to this was always the Apple hardware. We are moving away from that and it seems Apple doesn't care. We'll see tomorrow possibly.

Any OT suggestions?

If you want to view paradise, take your wallet out and pay up.

or

If you want to view paradise, simply look around for your wallet.

How does the digitizer compare to DTK (Cintiq/ Intuos Pro).

Gonna laugh my ass off if they're trying to sell a premium device that still only equates to the cheap ass feel digitizer.

With USI right around the corner, none of that matters much now. You will be able to buy Wacom's own gen 13 USI pen for this thing early next year. That pen has better specs than DTK pens (4K pressure, tilt).

Of course, Wacom has already shown it's hand with the MSP's pen having 8K pressure, but that's so far beyond diminishing returns, it's hilarious. To be fair though, anything beyond 128 levels of pressure is in the same boat.

It's really all about the load sensor and pressure tip assembly's physical feel. And Wacom has been using the same assembly for DTK and Feel pens for few eyars now (This is why my Cintiq has been in the closet for years and I do all my work on Win10 2 in 1 devices).

Wow, Microsoft is making some serious moves to eat Apple's lunch in the design/digital media space.

If they ever make a budget version of this I'm in.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
With USI right around the corner, none of that matters much now. You will be able to buy Wacom's own gen 13 USI pen for this thing early next year. That pen has better specs than DTK pens (4K pressure, tilt).

Of course, Wacom has already shown it's hand with the MSP's pen having 8K pressure, but that's so far beyond diminishing returns, it's hilarious. To be fair though, anything beyond 128 levels of pressure is in the same boat.

It's really all about the load sensor and pressure tip assembly's physical feel. And Wacom has been using the same assembly for DTK and Feel pens for few eyars now (This is why my Cintiq has been in the closet for years and I do all my work on Win10 2 in 1 devices).

So, using an MSP pen on this thing will feel just like using one on a cintiq or whatever?

Futureman

Shog... any articles you can link to USI info? I'll be able to use a Wacom pen on my SP4?

edit: I should clarify, I'm looking for a way to draw without the jitter when making slow strokes. YES I should just learn to draw the right way, but I'm 32 and this is just a hobby, I'm set in my ways

I need to replace my current computer in the next year-ish. Conceptually the studio is pretty much what I'd love to have as a main computer. But sadly it neither has the spec I want, nor runs OS X, so is a no go for me.

An inevitable future generation with improved hardware could be another story though.
But by the time that is out I'll probably have an iMac and be running an iPad Pro as a Cintiq over USB-C

So, using an MSP pen on this thing will feel just like using one on a cintiq or whatever?

MSP and DTK are EMR and are not part of USI spec. USI is projected capacitive (or Active Electro Static in Wacom speak) only. No Electro Magnetic Resonance for USI.

Breads

Banned
I wonder if they would ever consider selling a standalone monitor/stylus version of this without the computer guts. The thing I find myself feeling the least excited about is that this is a complete computer package, limitations at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom