• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft bullish on PC gaming, another entry for the list

fantomena

I hope so because that would mean they uprez the textures at the least.

Last time they talked about the Halo 3 port leak they said "We do not comment on rumors or speculations".

The reason is simple: If they announced Halo Trilogy HD for Steam people would rage about it being Steam exclusive so they would have to announce the Xbone version to.

The Steam version would be the superior version due to Steam Workshop.

U-R

Steamboxes also could greatly benefit if they were the only place where you could play pc games.

You do know that "Steambox" is simply the nickname for a PC running a particular free, open-source, linux distribution, right?

In reality that's bullshit excuse. There's nothing stopping Microsoft from supporting pc with plenty of games. Especially since before their most successful PC franchises were ones that simply wouldn't work on consoles.

Do you think putting Ensemble to work on a console RTS, or killing Gear of War PC, or killing the ports of Halo, or killing all their money-making PC franchises was just acting randomly and not an actual business plan?

Could be, but i consider Microsoft a much smarter company than that.

I think you should just quit having that hope. I have no believe that will happen.

I can easily see Dead Rising 3: Frank Goes West coming out on all platforms. It's a Capcom game, after all; claiming exclusivity then releasing an updated version on another platform is their bread and butter.

fantomena

I can easily see Dead Rising 3: Frank Goes West coming out on all platforms. It's a Capcom game, after all; claiming exclusivity then releasing an updated version on another platform is their bread and butter.

Maybe, but then it has to be a timed exclusive signs there is no sign of it releasing on any other plattform other than the Xbone.

I don't understand why many are saying "Stay away". That means less games. If Microsoft were not to stay away that would mean more games for us. It won't harm the platform in any way if they stick around. Someone will bring up GFWL but hey guess what we got games from it that probably wouldn't have been ported over if GFWL didn't exist. More games > less games.

Pretty sure DR3 was published by MS studios so highly unlikely it gets ported elsewhere

The Halo trilogy which is suppose to release on Steam this year is probably the same version for the Xbone.

#truthfact

Not true actually. The rumor for xbox one does not include the original Halo. I think for Steam its the two original games on pc and Halo 3 is the new port since it never was on PC.

Yusaku

RPS: In the wake of years and years of disappointment – countless ons, offs, flip-flops, Games For Windows, etc – why should people think that this time is going to be any different?

Lobb: The only way we can build trust in our community is by making great games. The PC community is more vibrant than it’s ever been before. I love it. We build a platform and other people make games on top of it. We do things to help set up the development community, and we also love to make games for you.

Don't kid yourself. We may be running Microsoft Windows but the PC is where it's at right now because of Valve.

Bedlam

To be fair Ninja gaiden and Mass Effect were also published by MS. Also PC has a better chance to get it since it's not direct competition for MS. MS put Fable III on PC.
The PC might not be primary competition but the platform is way more relevant now in the gaming landscape than it was during the last console generation (and the one before).

...which is also why I don't believe a single word coming from MS about supporting PC gaming. Their big devious attempt to infiltrate and monetize PC gaming with GfW failed miserably and now they'd probably kill it instantly if they could.

The PC might not be primary competition but the platform is way more relevant now in the gaming landscape than it was during the last console generation (and the one before).

...which is also why I don't believe a single word coming from MS about supporting PC gaming. Their big devious attempt to infiltrate and monetize PC gaming with GfW failed miserably and now they'd probably kill it instantly if they could.

Depends what you consider support. It seems like they are putting their titles on Steam now with more to come according to the steam registry.

All I want is Halo 2 multiplayer back in it's pure original form. Glitches included. I don't care if it's PC or Xbox One at this point...

and I don't count Halo 2 Vista, game is a ghost town because you can't buy it digitally. Fuck it, just put that on Steam and I'll be happy! I already own the game but no one fucking plays it. and when I do find games, they're the shittiest game types ever.

Eusis

In the case of Windows, however, there is no doubt it sells software. There is no doubt it has a large audience of 16-35 male gamers. As such, figuring out just why some companies have weak presence on the platform is legitimately interesting.
I do wonder how much of it has to do with piracy concerns and what research they've done, and if some are legitimately being obstinate about bizarre market views. I'd tend to think most of them would be more logical, and Japanese publishers don't have as much of a scene at home so I can see it sort of escaping their notice somewhat similar to how handhelds traditionally received little to no attention here despite the number of units they reliably push (although I fear the one two punch of piracy and the advent of mobile screwed up any potential growth there beyond Nintendo and Japanese games), but it really is odd how Rockstar reliably considers PC second fiddle for GTA, not even in an Ubisoft style "you'll see it in a month" manner but "maybe in half a year you'll see a PC port. Likely longer."

Microsoft in particular I think is probably the most odd however. PC gaming's always been relevant, and Windows gaming in particular really took off with the late 90s, partially because of Gabe Newell funnily enough. But their efforts have always been mixed, then they decided to just release a CONSOLE like Nintendo/Sega/Sony rather than build off of PC, and now we're in this awkward situation of a conflict of interests when ideally Microsoft would've gone full Steam in more ways than one in pursuing and advancing the PC platform as a contender with consoles, or so I'd think. But given the shareholders breathing down their neck about Xbox as it is perhaps this is for the best, though it'd probably be harder to shake off something meant to make one of their two core products (OSes) more appealing to buy than something that it's own mostly independent product.

All I want is Halo 2 multiplayer back in it's pure original form. Glitches included. I don't care if it's PC or Xbox One at this point...

and I don't count Halo 2 Vista, game is a ghost town because you can't buy it digitally. Fuck it, just put that on Steam and I'll be happy! I already own the game but no one fucking plays it. and when I do find games, they're the shittiest game types ever.

Halo trilogy is on the steam registry,they are incoming. Halo 2 servers get taken down this month. I expect an announcement soon.

I don't understand why many are saying "Stay away". That means less games. If Microsoft were not to stay away that would mean more games for us. It won't harm the platform in any way if they stick around. Someone will bring up GFWL but hey guess what we got games from it that probably wouldn't have been ported over if GFWL didn't exist. More games > less games.

Because no one believes Microsoft's interest is in porting games to the platform when they talk about "big plans" for the PC.

They just entered into deals with two major developers who are generally pretty game to do PC releases (Capcom and Crytek) for their headline franchises. If they were serious about supporting the PC as a platform, would they be paying developers who already release their games on PC to not release them on PC?

"Oh, but the X-Bone needed those exclusives," you say? That's funny, because it's the exact problem: there's a clear conflict of interests between what Microsoft should do for the PC platform and what they should do for the X-Box platform. The moment they decided to go duke it out with Sony they made it perfectly clear where their interests were, and the eleventh hour realization that it was a horrible mistake isn't going to mean much as long as they're still trying to ride that bad decision.

Maybe when Microsoft off-loads the X-Box division I'll believe they're actually earnest in their efforts to grow PC gaming, and not just looking to cause problems. Until then, though? The billions of dollars they've sunk into the X-Box, often at the direct expense of properly supporting PC gaming, makes it pretty clear where their priorities lie.

inkls

Give me the next Halo on PC and I'll believe you.

Not having any high hopes for it, though, the only difference is that they released project spark on pc (even if its on windows 8 ugh) this year right? When was their last major pc game released?

Give me the next Halo on PC and I'll believe you.

Not having any high hopes for it, though, the only difference is that they released project spark on pc (even if its on windows 8 ugh) this year right? When was their last major pc game released?

I believe it was Fable III in spring 2012. Unless you count AOE 2 rerelease on Steam.

Because no one believes Microsoft's interest is in porting games to the platform when they talk about "big plans" for the PC.

They just entered into deals with two major developers who are generally pretty game to do PC releases (Capcom and Crytek) for their headline franchises. If they were serious about supporting the PC as a platform, would they be paying developers who already release their games on PC to not release them on PC?

"Oh, but the X-Bone needed those exclusives," you say? That's funny, because it's the exact problem: there's a clear conflict of interests between what Microsoft should do for the PC platform and what they should do for the X-Box platform. The moment they decided to go duke it out with Sony they made it perfectly clear where their interests were, and the eleventh hour realization that it was a horrible mistake isn't going to mean much as long as they're still trying to ride that bad decision.

Maybe when Microsoft off-loads the X-Box division I'll believe they're actually earnest in their efforts to grow PC gaming, and not just looking to cause problems. Until then, though? The billions of dollars they've sunk into the X-Box, often at the direct expense of properly supporting PC gaming, makes it pretty clear where their priorities lie.

Ok, this is all true but it doesn't address the point I was making -- why want them to stay away when that just means less games for us? It can't hurt the platform if they stick around so saying they should stay away is saying you don't want more games, it doesn't make sense unless you're saying it due to some kind of moral conviction which I think is just dumb.

Ok, this is all true but it doesn't address the point I was making -- why want them to stay away when that just means less games for us? It can't hurt the platform if they stick around so saying they should stay away is saying you don't want more games, it doesn't make sense unless you're saying it due to some kind of moral conviction which I think is just dumb.

I think they are worried about some stuff but remember pc gamers don't accept anything,look at Live on pc where they tried to make people pay. PC gamers weren't having that shit and it was gone. I am fine with games coming,they should be too.

Please just forget PC gaming exists. We'll get by fine without you.

Unless you want to release Halo 3 and Reach on PC with steamworks support, then you can say whatever you want.

jelly

Doesn't look any better now.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft039s-recently-hired-pc-gaming-and-entertainment-leader-departs

Microsoft's plans to get back into hardcore PC gaming may have hit a rather large snag. Jason Holtman, who started working at Microsoft as its new PC gaming and entertainment leader in August, has now apparently left the company.

Holtman's LinkedIn page shows that he departed Microsoft in January, less than six months after he was hired. He previously worked for over seven years at Valve, where he was the company's director of business development. He received a lot of credit and praise for opening up Valve's Steam game download service to third party developers and publishers.

Because they've made it clear several times with Windows 8 and the Windows Store that they want to flex their muscles. The entire reason we have this situation with Valve pushing SteamOS and Steam Machines is because Microsoft was posturing like they were going to try to exercise control over the platform to forcibly take their cut of the pie; they are trying to give themselves an "out" in case Microsoft continues trying to throw their weight around in the PC arena.

If they want to just release some games on PC - without trying to cock things up yet again in the process with their shenanigans - then great, more power to them. I have no idea why you would believe that's the case, though. They have never in the past really felt the need to talk much about releasing games on PC as if it were a "thing", whenever they say something like this it's a precursor to doing something idiotic like trying to hold DirectX ransom to make people upgrade to a version of Windows they despise.

Chuck

Still without luck
[*]2012 - MS: We won't ditch GFWL!
We're committed to PC gaming and we absolutely think GFWL is the best play to get PC games and play with others. Our client is awesome....ly bloated and deletes shit randomly, but that's really one of the charms of PC gaming that we captured! It's a balanced experience! Hope you rike!

[*]2013 - MS to discontinue GFWL
Hey gaiz new manager here, so like a bunch of your games might stop working come 2014...but that's okay! We expect there to be transitions as we build out new investments, but we remain committed to bringing first party gaming services and games to Windows for years to come. We will share more details in the future!
holy shit, lol

KarmaCow

I don't understand why they even bother saying they're dedicated to PC gaming when they literally have nothing to prop up. Who are exactly are they dedicated to at this point beyond the corpse of AoE online?

I don't understand why they even bother saying they're dedicated to PC gaming when they literally have nothing to prop up. Who are exactly are they dedicated to at this point beyond the corpse of AoE online?

Some of their older titles would be very warmly welcomed on Steam. I'm still waiting for Gears of War and Viva Pinata on Steam.

KarmaCow

Some of their older titles would be very warmly welcomed on Steam. I'm still waiting for Gears of War and Viva Pinata on Steam.

What I mean is considering their talk the past few years this is just fluff so that people still have faith in their existing products will continue to have support, but they don't even have an existing product, so what is the point?

I would like to have those games where one could purchase them and play them but who is holding their breath for it?

I don't get why people want Microsoft to focus more on PC gaming...
Valve pretty much has that covered.

Microsoft should be putting all of their gaming focus on the console.
That strategy seems to be working well for Sony...

To be fair Ninja gaiden and Mass Effect were also published by MS. Also PC has a better chance to get it since it's not direct competition for MS. MS put Fable III on PC.

Microsoft funded much of DS3, I doubt it will leave the system any time soon.

I don't get why people want Microsoft to focus more on PC gaming...
Valve pretty much has that covered.

Microsoft should be putting all of their gaming focus on the console.
That strategy seems to be working well for Sony...

One imagines what most people are saying is they want Microsoft to put their games on the PC. Which is wonderful but it does undermine the Xbox One somewhat. Still, hopefully they port some games as time goes along like they did with 360 titles.

Azih

Hah, they hire the right people but drive them away. The Steam guy jumping ship is bad news. What are you doing Microsoft?

Top Bottom