• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft cancels post-E3 media roundtable

Guevara

Seems dumb though. There are many more opportunities to show the PS4 versions between now and release. E3 isn't that big.

I expect third party multiplatform games will be announced for both Bone/PS4 in their PR but at E3 all gameplay videos/trailers and the publishers demo on the show floor will all have only Bone branding.

madmackem

WOW so they aint going to answer anything at E3 are they. God damn ms be upfront with all this mixed messages and now silence to the press is not the way to go about this.

BibiMaghoo

If we were to believe that Sony trolled them with leaked specs, and that MS has done this to dodge the questions and put the heat on Sony, what the fuck do they do if Sony come out and say "games will be owned exactly the same as they are now do what you want with them, online play is free, and BTW, here's a free kitten".

They keep quiet about it and are given time to correct / amend it.

It would benefit them for Sony to make a clear position on this before they do.

yeah i dont see why people see this as a negative? Nintendo canceled their whole show didnt they? lol. Dont need to sit down and hear politically correct answers anyway
Because MS has a lot of explaining to do, and limiting questions will just let them spin things and be vague as much as they want.

Takuya

Banned
I mentioned the other day that I was hearing rumors of Microsoft throwing around a considerable amount of money to have publishers only show games on the Xbox One during E3. Most people dismissed my admittedly flakey news as 'that's what always happens.'

I've talked to more people since then though and this isn't the usual jostling for publishers on stage that happens at E3. Microsoft is throwing BIG money around to reverse course on idea that they aren't a games console. The rumors are that PS4 versions of multiplats, by those who do take the money, won't be shown AT ALL. Not on stage and not on the show floor.

I don't feel bad for Sony because business is business. I'm sure they will find a way to have a decent show... or they will have to recover afterwards. That's not really my concern.

Now, there's no need to take my word on this if you don't want to. But do keep an eye on E3 next week. With them buying up everything in sight and now potentially cutting an open roundtable out(to assumedly talk one on one with friendly press) and word that finding multiplat games on the ps4 on the show floor will be much harder than anticipated.... just keep an eye on it. Maybe my sources are wrong. But I feel confident enough in this info to share it.

I'm not saying to jump to conclusions. I'm just saying it may be something to keep an eye on.

The press mostly knows about the power difference between the platforms anyway.
Buying them out at E3 won't do much other than the press going to play the games that they moneyhatted and say "This will probably look better on PS4 anyway."

Nikodemos

So basically PS4 versions of certain games won't be announced even though they exist and will be released?

Sounds like a cheap tactic. Could work. Could bite them in the ass.
Frankly, if this fuckery goes through I'd like to see Sony call them out publicly. Take the gloves off and have a proper console war, like in the days of Sega-Ninty.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Obviously everyone tries to take attention away from the competition, but I think this specifically would be about preventing 1:1 comparisons with the competition. MS can't hide forever though, but they might be hoping their software compares better by the time of release than they might at E3.
Surely they cant do it to every multiplat that exists. Destiny comes to mind as they will be demoing at Sonys conf correct? These comparisons are unavoidable on a grand scale.

jay

MS should hire any journalist who wants to discuss DRM then fire them for openly discussing DRM.

Minions

I mentioned the other day that I was hearing rumors of Microsoft throwing around a considerable amount of money to have publishers only show games on the Xbox One during E3. Most people dismissed my admittedly flakey news as 'that's what always happens.'

I've talked to more people since then though and this isn't the usual jostling for publishers on stage that happens at E3. Microsoft is throwing BIG money around to reverse course on idea that they aren't a games console. The rumors are that PS4 versions of multiplats, by those who do take the money, won't be shown AT ALL. Not on stage and not on the show floor.

I don't feel bad for Sony because business is business. I'm sure they will find a way to have a decent show... or they will have to recover afterwards. That's not really my concern.

Now, there's no need to take my word on this if you don't want to. But do keep an eye on E3 next week. With them buying up everything in sight and now potentially cutting an open roundtable out(to assumedly talk one on one with friendly press) and word that finding multiplat games on the ps4 on the show floor will be much harder than anticipated.... just keep an eye on it. Maybe my sources are wrong. But I feel confident enough in this info to share it.

I'm not saying to jump to conclusions. I'm just saying it may be something to keep an eye on.

What does it matter though? From the sound of things Microsoft may have chosen option #1 Delay the console launch to 2014. . .

Just because games are shown at one conference does not change the fact they are multiplatform. Seems like a huge waste of money imo. All sony has to do is start running TV ads talking about the spec/resolution differences and the "cheaper" price point. If they do end up delaying the Nextbox the PS4 will sell because it is the first console out the door. If they decide to downclock the apu because of the ESRAM issues then they will be at an even larger spec disadvantage which can be exploited for Sony. If anyone is stuck at this point between a rock and a hard place (and bleeding money if what you say is true about paying for E3) then it is Microsoft.

M.D

Buying them out at E3 won't do much other than the press going to play the games that they moneyhatted and say "This will probably look better on PS4 anyway."

Not really

People should just vote with their wallets with this system, the way it's going, despite Halo and its fans, I can see some long term Live members going somewhere else next gen

kingocfs

I still think they'll talk, they'd be pretty foolish not to. They definitely won't say any dirt deets during the conference itself, neither company probably will, but as long as there are 1-on-1s, I don't see them getting away with the same disconnected message as last time.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Surely they cant do it to every multiplat that exists. Destiny comes to mind as they will be demoing at Sonys conf correct? These comparisons are unavoidable on a grand scale.

Correct, but on the flip side with Destiny, you probably won't see Xbox One footage.

And I don't know if FamousMortimer is talking about every PS4/XboxOne multiplat, but trying to cover as many that may be unflattering to Xbox One as possible would be a sound idea for MS.

I don't think this will be as successful as Microsoft hopes. The version that's been previewed is generally irrelevant as to what format actually sells on launch day, otherwise the PC version of multiplats would have been demolishing console versions in terms of sales on pretty much every multiformat game in the last 24 months or so. Spoiler alert: this hasn't happened.

fiyah

not-listening-dumb-anb1s3z.gif

Someone needs to put mattrick and the gang in this gif

LQX

I keep seeing talk the XBONE is exactly 6 months behind scheduled. Hell, the 360 has been out for like 8 years. Did MS really sit on their ass most of those 8 years? Seems so damn implausible.

Gabe3208

Banned
Kind of odd. You'd think if they were replacing it with something else they'd at least mention that so as to stop any speculation or rumors from running rampant.

After the initial reveal and the wacky mis-communication afterwards, Ballmer took everybody into a room, locked the door, and closed the shades and went flipping insane on everyone. Then he made everyone sign a NDA to never speak about Xbone unless it is in a controlled presser, which they will then be reading a teleprompter.

gaming_noob

I keep seeing talk the XBONE is exactly 6 months behind scheduled. Hell, the 360 has been out for like 8 years. Did MS really sit on their ass most of those 8 years? Seems so damn implausible.

I want them to fall on their asses. Their marketing dept and "marketing research" clearly had a huge influence over the design of Xbone. Let them feel the wrath.

I think the reason behind this is timing. Sony's conference and press interviews will be later in the day, that would have given them the advantage of knowing Microsoft's public position on the hot topics like DRM/online/used games etc. and given them enough time to tailor a response/spin Sony's position in the maximum possible positive light in comparison to Microsoft's.

So now Microsoft won't be talking to the press at all it seems, and they sure as hell won't talk about the tough details during the conference, which means that now Sony will be first to be grilled on those difficult questions.

But they've already laid out their position publicly, which gives them a big advantage over MS's quaffle and obfuscation. They can just say, "we won't be forcing the issue any more than we do now" and "it's up to publishers"--and at this point, it looks like it's almost guaranteed to be better than whatever MS is trying to avoid talking about.

Sure, they'll be able to duck and weave during E3, but eventually all this stuff is going to come out. Even if it's not until people actually have the systems and start posting their own comparison videos/shots, they can't hide forever.

What does it matter though? From the sound of things Microsoft may have chosen option #1 Delay the console launch to 2014. . .

Just because games are shown at one conference does not change the fact they are multiplatform. Seems like a huge waste of money imo. All sony has to do is start running TV ads talking about the spec/resolution differences and the "cheaper" price point. If they do end up delaying the Nextbox the PS4 will sell because it is the first console out the door. If they decide to downclock the apu because of the ESRAM issues then they will be at an even larger spec disadvantage which can be exploited for Sony. If anyone is stuck at this point between a rock and a hard place (and bleeding money if what you say is true about paying for E3) then it is Microsoft.

Because if Microsoft show up to E3 and all of these multiplatform games are shown only on their platform with Bone branding, then it appears as though they have more games. It's possible the only way to see the same game is available on the PS4 is to read their PR statement online - but at the actual E3 everything will be attributed to the Xbone.

PhatSaqs

Banned
If true it really does seem like they were totally blinded by Kinect.

Zoctan

Not a great PR move by Microsoft. People want answers, and they don't seem ready to give them.

Maybe they will answer them during their presentation, but they will most likely avoid any controversial topics.

jackal27

Banned
They probably don't NEED a Q&A because we'll all be so blown away no one will be able to speak! Right guys!?........

Right?

Guys?

Raist

Banned
How so, it made sense to me...

It only makes sense if you ask questions no one thought of and you want some "ha HA" moment for about 3 minutes before it gets reported elsewhere, and then you can send Schreier in with his classic "WE REPORTED THAT" line.

But yeah, you need pretty awesome questions first. I've yet to see kotaku come up with some.

Effect

That's assuming to much. This is the same press where some were acting confused as to if the Wii U was a new system or just a controller when Iwata and company said new system/console on stage. Where they had access to press kits. They should have been able to tell the different from looking at the hardware itself. Do not assume the gaming press is actually knowledgeable about anything they "report" on. News articles and podcast are always filled with misinformation and with people admitting not to knowing the simplest things.

That is fucking vile. If it's true, I hope it's blown open and the press are making big deal of this dirty tactic.

Sounds like MS have taken a page out of early late Nineties/early Noughties Sony and how they destroyed Sega using similar tactics.

Deuterium

Can you imagine if the general audience starts booing Microsoft during their actual Presentation.

MARK MY WORDS -- I AM CALLING IT RIGHT NOW.

I have never seen such a consumer back-lash within the gaming community, in all my years. Forget the press conference(s), or lack thereof...Microsoft better worry that their actual Presentation is not interrupted by hecklers.

Pezking

I think that's a very good sign in regards to the PS4!

The MS conference is a day earlier, so they might not want to provide Sony with an easy target.

If Sony would block used games as well etc., there'd be no need for Microsoft to avoid questions about DRM.

Mononoke

Banned

But Pachter said that was STUPID bullshit. That every system/publisher is 6 months behind.

tumblr_meh3wpnGC11rbispdo1_500.gif

Can you imagine if the general audience starts booing Microsoft during their actual Presentation.

I have never seen such a consumer back-lash within the gaming community, in all my years. Forget the press conference(s), or lack thereof...Microsoft better worry that their actual Presentation is not interrupted by hecklers.

The audience will be bought and paid by MS. Just like the May 21st event. So no worries there.

PG2G

Consumers don't go to the presentations. Any journalist that boos would be a real idiot.

Top Bottom