• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft cancels post-E3 media roundtable

Pavaloo

At some point, this level of BS has to turn against them. Last friday i was talking with two friends who are 360 users (former PS2 guys) and they had no idea the amount of BS they are getting with the new Xbox.

They just said "it looks like you can´t play used games, that would be bad", but they know nothing in detail because they are only reading general media.

They don´t play online, i think their consoles were never connected. I tried to get them up to speed on the news but so far they are just waiting to see.

I wonder how much more time Microsoft will be able to keep postponing the news for the general public.

They also might not know because definitive information hasn't been stated yet. Might be waiting to hear it "officially."

I even have my brother who doesn't play games telling me that the next Xbox is going to suck because it won't let you borrow games. That bothers me sooo much that there's an information train on the XBone when none of this stuff is 100% clear yet. I mean we don't even know, everyone is just jumping to conclusions.

AzaK

They really don't have to say anything until it launches. Even then, it'd be up to the media to mention it.
And 90% of mainstream consumers and most core gamers will just accept it. Very few people are willing to make a stand on anything let alone think about ramifications first.

Well no, I get that, but if the gaming press seemingly had a negative response during the meeting and the problems with the system were aired out in such a public venue, I guarantee CNN and CBS would cover it, and that would alert a lot of casual gamers and soccer moms about the negative press/rep. That could have damning effects, at least that's my thought process.

Ah, I see where you're coming from now. I think the gaming media themselves are capable of more than enough damning effects right now, though. This is a launch year for what will likely be an expensive console- what they're battling for primarily are hardcore/early adopter types. They're going to be getting more of their info from IGN and Gamespot than they are CNN or CBS.

Either way, this isn't going to pan out in the long run. Restricting the media's access to you isn't going to make them conveniently forget that there are big, fiery, unanswered questions surrounding this console right now.

Shosai

Banned
They were actually giving MS the benefit of the doubt and were telling everyone to wait till E3.....Now I wonder how they feel....

Maybe they change their opinions on things as information comes out? Or in this case, a lack of. The entire GB crew was pretty negative on the Xbox unveil.

tumblr_lslog8WNs11qewvtgo1_r2_400.gif

Shosai

Banned
They were actually giving MS the benefit of the doubt and were telling everyone to wait till E3.....Now I wonder how they feel....

Reply #2, looks like Jeff was asked about it

Anonymous said:
Still think Microsoft canceling things is no big deal now that they've cancelled both of Patrick's 1-on-1 interviews? I can understand you not thinking it mattered when the cancelled the round-table, but when you shit on somebody (and by extension anyone who follows you and agreed with him) who asked you a question in a completely neutral tone in favor of defending the billion dollar corporation it makes you look like an asshole, and then an even bigger asshole when those things DO happen.

Jeff Gerstmann said:
Canning the real interviews is a bigger deal than canning the roundtables, yes. Makes them look weird and defensive, but I’m not really in a position to know if they’re lying about their “scheduling conflict” or not. I also don’t really care because it’s two things on a schedule with over 40 other things on it.

That’s not “defending a billion dollar corporation,” that’s “doing this job for close to 20 years and seeing a billion different things change and un-change in the run up to E3 every single year.” You insinuating otherwise makes YOU look like an asshole. Whoa, bet you didn’t see that coming!

Anonymous said:
I calmed down and regretted writing that question pretty soon after submitting it, but I still don't like the way you handled that other person's inquiry. I understand you have way more experience with this stuff than most people but that doesn't mean you need to mock people who don't. Sorry about getting way too upset about video games.

Jeff Gerstmann said:
It’s mostly just silly to see people who don’t actually know what they’re getting worked up about get all worked up. People keep trying to sound like they know the lingo and understand what it all means, but most people just come off as… extremely overzealous when they try to piece it all together.

The behind-the-scenes shit happening over the last week of things getting canceled and live streams being off and back on and off again and maybe back on and oh god what is even happeningggg is way crazier and it involves every hardware manufacturer and a ton of big publishers, too. It’s not politics or cover-ups in the grand sense. It’s just the nature of trying to fit as much as possible into this four-day window. Hell, I’ve had a couple of people try to move interview times to Sunday afternoon on me, and I’m not even going to be in town at that point.

Maybe this’ll help put it in perspective. The Microsoft interview thing is, like, the sixth craziest thing that’s happened over the last 24 hours as it relates to E3 coverage coming from the people in this building. It doesn’t even make Top 5 compared to some of the shit that’s been going on around here. And none of that is particularly out of the ordinary. E3 planning is like preparing for an natural disaster—you try to set up as much as you possibly can beforehand, but it’s going to happen whether you’re ready or not, so you’d better just be ready to improvise just in case.

freddy

Banned
This just keeps delivering and not in a good way. Is this Ballmer and co overriding the Xbox team and pushing through this media blackout? Surely the Xbox team aren't so stupid or underhanded.

Top Bottom