• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Closes Redfall Developer Arkane Austin, HiFi Rush Developer Tango Gameworks, and More in Devastating Cuts at Bethesda

dotnotbot

i mean, look at his initials

No way

No Way Reaction GIF

Meicyn

Gold Member

Just two words from the project manager at Tango. Or I guess I should now say, former project manager.

It must be surreal, succeeding at what you do through hard work, dedication, and passion… having accolades dumped on you for recognition of greatness… and yet still being fired. Corporate America is a joke. Such a fucking waste.

Kurotri

Just two words from the project manager at Tango. Or I guess I should now say, former project manager.

It must be surreal, succeeding at what you do through hard work, dedication, and passion… having accolades dumped on you for recognition of greatness… and yet still being fired. Corporate America is a joke. Such a fucking waste.

This shit is so foul. MS is nothing but corporate ghouls.

Papa Phil thought that Gamepass would be a success due to amazing, next-gen, totally not niche titles like Pentiment - the GOTY from 2022 to all eternity (that's what green GAF told me).

That game amongst others is totally the reason why people spend 500 Eurodollars for a console - and in this case - the world's most powerful one.

Fucking Phil man, what a good guy, a friend to the gamers all around the world, cause, in the end, when we all play we all win.

Nonehxc

'We need smaller games that bring us prestige and awards' fuck yeah HAHAHAHA 😂😂😂

I mean, all this drama is like Reverse Catastrophe Control by MS/Xbox and their internet retards of the highest quality. They try to fling shit, shit comes back like a boomerang. They try to stomp info by diseminating lies that their zealot fans and retards parrot, archive comes back to bite them in the ass.

ALL THIS IS A SELF-OWN FOR THE AGES

This is delicious, Xbox was gonna crush everyone's dick with their Big Bad Bro MS and their wallet, got them to buy them a dick, the dick they lacked, ENTIRE PUBLISHERS...and now that they're pretty much pure Microsoft....

The only thing they're crushing is their own dick into dick jam with a side of scrambled eggs with big steel nails boots HAHAHA

REJOICE XBROS!! This is what you brainlessly asked for, now stew in all your WIN! 🥳🥳🥳

The Suicide Squad game that people were shitting on ever since the gameplay reveal and realized it was going to beat a shitty live service game?

It's not true. You're seeing things that are not even there.
Literally everyone and their grandmother hated the game's stupid humor and tone, didn't like the story details, it didn't flop just because it was a shitty live service styled thing.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Literally everyone and their grandmother hated the game's stupid humor and tone, didn't like the story details, it didn't flop just because it was a shitty live service styled thing.
I said ever since... that means where the hate started. You just blamed wokeness and that's just dumb.

knguyen

Papa Phil thought that Gamepass would be a success due to amazing, next-gen, totally not niche titles like Pentiment - the GOTY from 2022 to all eternity (that's what green GAF told me).

That game amongst others is totally the reason why people spend 500 Eurodollars for a console - and in this case - the world's most powerful one.

Fucking Phil man, what a good guy, a friend to the gamers all around the world, cause, in the end, when we all play we all win.
That delusional guy hasn't done any interview lately. Did he get fired?

NickFire

Sarah:
Hey, quit your blubberin'. When we get through with these new IP’s you won't even recognize them.

Phil:
Satya, you can't spend your whole life worrying about your mistakes! You fucked up. You trusted us! Hey, make the best of it! Maybe we can help.

Satya:
[crying] That's easy for you to say! What am I going to tell the board?!

Phil:
I'll tell you what. I'll swear you were doing a great job taking care of the new studios, but, you locked the doors last night and this morning, they were gone. Sarah, take care of the evidence. We report the missing studios to the police. Our company’s insurance company buys us new studios.

Satya:
Will that work?

Phil:
Hey, it's gotta work better than the truth.

Booty:
My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

I love Sarah´s answers she is such a green queen. 💚

That is absolutely embarrassing. "Let me answer your questions by answering none of your questions by speaking as ambiguously as possible"

Question: Why did you close Tango?

Answer:

"You know, one of the things I really love about the games industry is it's a creative art form, and it means that the situation and what success is for each game and studio is also really unique, there is no one size fits all to it, for us, umm, and so, we look at each studio and each game team and we look at a whole variety of factors when we're faced with sorta making decisions and tradeoffs like that, uhhh, but it all comes back to our long term commitment to the games we create, the devices we build, the services, and insuring that we're setting ourselves up to to be able to deliver on those promises. " - Sarah Bond, President of XBOX.​

Not really sure what to think of the current state of XBOX, but it's very contradictory of the leadership team to spout all the pro-gamer stuff that they have been, proclaim things to be great successes, but then turn around and DOOK all over it. XBOX is cooked.

They could at least divest in the studios/IP. We're well on our way to getting nothing but COD, and other live services games from XBOX. Sarah literally was grasping for words in her response, because she herself knows that there is absolutely no defense or valid reason as to why they closed Tango, or Arkane, especially with the leaderships promise of supporting AA games, and even Redfall post launch. Consolidation FTW.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member

Not gonna lie. That answer is spooky as fuck. Like, it is just straight sinister. Even if you made a great game that the whole industry took note of, you're still not safe. Her real answer in there was, "If you aren't already making big money for us, get fucked". It's fucked up. She knows it's fucked up. But either she's nothing but a puppet being told to dance, or she's part of it.

Not really sure what to think of the current state of XBOX, but it's very contradictory of the leadership team to spout all the pro-gamer stuff that they have been, proclaim things to be great successes, but then turn around and DOOK all over it. XBOX is cooked.

They could at least divest in the studios/IP. We're well on our way to getting nothing but COD, and other live services games from XBOX. Sarah literally was grasping for words in her response, because she herself knows that there is absolutely no defense or valid reason as to why they closed Tango, or Arkane, especially with the leaderships promise of supporting AA games, and even Redfall post launch. Consolidation FTW.
yup...Some people still do not realize how fucked Xbox really is.

But the significance of closing Tango is so profound at showing MS/xbox´s true colors...every statement from Phil, Sarah, and Bootty, has been a fucking lie... People are just done with this bullshit.

and you are right:
absolutely no defense or valid reason as to why they closed Tango

some people will have an emotional response because they liked the game or whatever. But Tango represented exactly what Xbox was searching all these years: quality, cadence, originality, a Japanese studio, Game Pass synergy, GOTY-Awards.

WHAT IS THE FUCKING MESSAGE?!!!.

So, I hope the so-called video game journalists keep asking, 'Why Tango?' and these dumb executives' non-responsive answers become the rope in which they will hang themselves in front of the community and industry.

demigod

is her PR Reptilian brain trying to formulate an answer

That’s quite the word salad to say she has no idea what she’s doing.

She didn't say a damn thing. This is the worse non-answer response I've heard in recent memory. She was struggling so much it's obvious she was the wrong person to put in front of the camera.
You’d think someone in her position would be prepared for the question but nope. What a joke. This is why diversity hire was a mistake. Put the person in charge for their skills, not because of their color.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
You’d think someone in her position would be prepared for the question but nope. What a joke. This is why diversity hire was a mistake. Put the person in charge for their skills, not because of their color.
In the thread about it one poster talked about glass cliff. As in she was send to die. So if true Xbox is in the wrong here. Not her.

They are going to do this on other game studios. This isn't the end of it. They put all in on that dumbass phil spencer's gamepass bs and its literally falling apart since they can't recoup the money and the number of subscribe has slowed down, and now bunch of devs are paying for these ghoul's mistakes.

They are going to do this on other game studios. This isn't the end of it. They put all in on that dumbass phil spencer's gamepass bs and its literally falling apart since they can't recoup the money and the number of subscribe has slowed down, and now bunch of devs are paying for these ghoul's mistakes.

True, but lets also notice that except for Hi-Fi Rush, and maybe Sea of Thieves, not a single one of their studios delivered a single great product since the release of the Series consoles, and even much longer before that.

Yes probably it’s MS management to blame also for that because it’s baffling with the amount of studios and talent they have they manage to produce nothing great.

But I can imagine them they need to shut down studios, the money the division gets from MS is not limitless if there are not results so they’ll get less and less support from MS overlord and how in (some holy persons name) are they going to earn back the 70 billion acquisition of Activision.

It means they have to profit inclusive rent for 70 billion just to pay back their stupidly overpriced studio. It’ll take decades in the best situation and then the money isn’t even worth anything anymore because inflation.

Also, in the not best situation everything goes wrong for the Xbox department as it does now and they start having to close it all down slowly. The money is just gone, and nothing nice will be shown for it.

Three

I'm glad Toys for Bob got out while they could.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
She is the president of xbox, she should’ve been prepared to answer these questions. She probably thought these questions were rehearsed like phils questions, lol.
When Satya Nadella had to answer questions I do not think that he was that much better on gaming. At the end of the day PR is a job.They even had her to say that Booty should be the one to answer as he is the one in charge of studios. Who to blame then? Her for not being ready? Or Xbox for not being ready themselves as whe have some clues about it( the controller bad timing?)

Fredrik

I’m sure she’s a lovely lady but MS is 100% throwing her under the bus here, she’s the new fall guy/girl and Phil managed to dodge away, she looks crushed, sighing to answer every question. These decisions are likely not coming from her. Maybe Satya has said that they need to find the money, fast, or they will close down the whole gaming division, and everyone who’re in between projects are suddenly potential targets.

Three

Said a whoooole buncha nada! Something about commitment and the Fallout TV show...wut?? How does that explain closing the studio that released your best (former) exclusive in YEARS?
The translation:

I, like most of MS, am a bean counter not from the entertainment industry and although I said I love creativity to deflect from that I'm not interested in critical acclaim or awards from games. So we decided to do this due to the KPI factors we have internally regarding our goals for engagement/sales. We don't think HiFi Rush met those metrics well enough to warrant a sequel even though Greenberg said it met them all.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

The correct answer is that while Hi Fi Rush was good, she thinks Tango wouldn't be sustainable for them to run in the long term.

Ghostwire was a flop, Hi Fi Rush was a commercial flop and it doesn't sell on PS5 either. And Mikami left earlier. They probably can't see Tango producing a hit game for them that offsets the cost of running that studio. Layoffs happen everywhere right now, but this one contradicts the praise Hi Fi Rush got when it arrived on GP, which makes it hard for Sarah Bond to come up with a straight answer.

GHG

Gold Member

I don't know why people are surprised at her response, she's basically Phil without the t-shirt and the inordinate amount of media training.

Have people not been listening to how Spencer actually answers questions all these years (he rarely actually answers the question at hand)? It's the same fluff but repackaged in a way that impressionable people (of which there are many) warm to him.

These guys are politicians as much as they are business executives.

Last edited:
Top Bottom