• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Confirms 53MHz GPU Speed Upgrade For Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Mulder

This console feels so rushed and MS seems so unsure what they need to do.

Console aren't ready to ship at E3. They had time to improve and tweak things brfore launch, and they have. They even listened to feedback and backed off the drm shit they had probably spend lots of effort setting up.

This is a good thing. I still wont buy one with forced kinect though.

I'm slowly becoming more and more open to this console... things feel so much different to me now than they did a few months ago for some reason.

TheContact

The only thing that could persuade me into buying an XBO is if all my friends make the move to xbox next gen. I loved the ps3 console more but played xbox 90% of the time on 360 because all my friends had xbox

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The 1.3 TFLOPs does include all the FLOPs provided by the ESRAM, just as the 1.8 TFLOPs includes all the FLOPs provided by the GDDR5.

It excludes, however, sales and PR flops.

Durante

I'm curious: If Sony announced tomorrow that the PS4's GPU was running 6% faster, what would your response be?
If someone posted "Wow, Killzone and whatever already look so amazing, just think what they will be like with this upgrade!!" it would probably be extremely similar.

I'm not part of your little 2 party system, sorry.

Why is embedded RAM hot?

It takes A LOT of transistors. That's why it:
A) Takes up a lot of silicon budget... it's huge (MS is "missing" 6 Compute Units in their GPU compared to Sony because they had to fit the eSRAM on there)
B) Mo heat, mo problems. They were having issues at first in early production.

Make note that the XB1 chip is around 5 billion transistors,
and the PS4 chip is around 3 billion transistors.

PS4 has a lot more power with much less transistors because of no embedded RAM.

I was hoping for a bit more of an answer. Is a price point considered a feature?

If you look at what PS4 has announced, they're basically at parity with a lot of XB1 features, or at least have similar implementations of certain features.

Dedicated servers? Yes.
Multi-tasking? Without 'snap-mode', but it's still fast-switching like smartphones & Vita.
Smartglass? Playstation App, where it's basically the same thing + control your PS4/PSN from your mobile.
Windows apps. PS4 will naturally have less apps, but all core multimedia apps will be available.
In terms of background game services, they're basically the same in background updates, downloads, cloud saves, etc.
Sony has Gaikai, but I'm excluding that because it's a not-at-launch feature.

If you look at what's 'key', the only real things that PS4 cannot match against XB1 is Kinect & TV-integration. And as said before, it's not a feature everyone wants... the TV is not even a feature everyone can use. ( outside core countries )

And yes, a $100 price difference in exchange for those 'less-desirable features' is what some people see as a 'benefit.'

bj00rn_

Banned
53 Mhz? Is this a joke?

That's easy to answer via a simple thought-experiment:

Imagine if it was 53Mhz down instead of up..

Would you say "53 Mhz? Is this a joke? Not a big deal" ? If so, then yes it's a joke.
Would you say "XBOX LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOOLOLOLOLL!!!!!!"? If so, then No it's not a joke.

Marvel

could never
It's both good and bad, good that they see it needs to be tweaked and bad because the message Microsoft are communicating to us is one of little confidence in their own machine.

johnny956

Surely internally they'd of known a fair while back what Sony was targetting. I believe rumours for graphics started back in 2012, and ATi are serving both of them.

The Xbone's APU is already pretty large. Mostly because of the ESRAM, if they went GDDR5 like Sony then they could have probably matched it because they had die space on the APU. Sony guessed right in regards to denisty/pricing of GDDR5. It was risky as they could have been stuck with 4gb.

SMZC

Didn't you watch E3? Price point is a feature when exclusive games aren't.

The only reason Sony had less games to show at E3 than Microsoft was because they already showed them in their previous unveiling of the system, back in February. Of course Microsoft had more new games to show; the only thing they talked about before E3 was TV. Oh, and Call of Duty dog.

5/8's focussed on gaming ;)

Don't the most reliable rumors say that it's 6/8?

Are you saying the X1 isn't? Microsoft has shown more games than Sony?

What I said above. Plus, no one wants to pay an extra $100 for features that they don't really want. If Microsoft can find a market beyond pure gamers that actually cares about those features, good for them. But most gamers don't.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wouldn't that be crazy if he lucked out and was actually right lol. For the record, I don't think this is happening.

It would require a complete change to the motherboard and RAM controller, not just a small change in clock speed. It's pretty much impossible at this point.

teiresias

I'm curious: If Sony announced tomorrow that the PS4's GPU was running 6% faster, what would your response be?

How a 6% clock increase affects modern GPU architectures doesn't change going from MS to Sony. That is, such a change is fairly insignificant regardless of who does it. MS has more incentive to do it since they're already behind in GPU power due to the difference in actual hardware units in the two GPUs and NOT because of the clock speed.

JawzPause

So in layman's terms what does this mean and by how much will this affect the performance? Also does this bring it significantly closer to PS4 specs or is this minuscule?

Came into this thread thinking there would be some fun ribbing of MS for promoting a relatively small story. I'm impressed that people are taking this so seriously.

By impressed, I mean laughing on the inside as I see this become part of the console war. Remember, you must choose a side. You're either with us or against us. Personally, I'm a conscientious objector to this war...or maybe I'm a war profiteer. I'll take the best of everything once the smoke has settled.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So in layman's terms what does this mean and by how much will this affect the performance? Also does this bring it significantly closer to PS4 specs or is this minuscule?

It's pretty tiny. It seems more like it was done to counter the 100Gflop GPU reserve for the OS.

MoneyHats

Banned
Lol

It's still an underwhelming machine for the asking price.

That depends, for people who want Kinect 2.0 (I do) it's a good deal imo. $500 would've been ok if Sony asked for $500 as well, there were many threads and polls where most gamers were ok with $500 consoles, it was only after Sony annouced $399 that suddenly anything above $400 is a rip-off but I'm sure Sony is taking a hit in order to do that.

I don't think it's fair to review products before they're ready or able to show what they can do, I want to see the setup in action and how well their exclusives turn out before putting the nails in the coffin, but I'll be honest, the PS4 is the friendlier blind jump, but not everything must be black & white, I may end up owning both again but this time I'll wait out the initial batch of "Beta test" consoles lol.

farisr

Can you name a few?

Other have mentioned existing ps3 games where sony used dedicated servers.

Out of the PS4 games, Driveclub has already been confirmed to be using dedicated servers. Killzone Multiplayer details have not been revealed yet (whether it uses dedicated servers or not should be revealed at that time).

why are not specs like these locked down long ago already :D

Specs like these can be changed even after a console has released. Sony allowed upclocking the psp from 222 hz to 333 hz. Many insiders have been saying here that it was very much possible that MS and Sony may upclock their systems later in the generation to give it a graphical boost. MS already did an upclock now (and possibly could in the future as well), Sony can do it in the future after the console's release as well. It doesn't change the development process, just increases the amount of power you can work with.

Man we are in a full out war between Xboners and SonyPonies. This is awesome.

Sony should up their speed to 830mhz for kicks. That 30 increase would give Sony 1.9 Teraflops and match what the Bone increased.

HyperV

Banned
Unfortunately the math would hit harder for Sony. 6% of 1.23 vs 1.84

I'm not suggesting that the PS4 needs the increase. Just that any good news for XB1 - no matter how minor - tends to get spun into "M$ LOLZ!"

If it was a 53Mhz downclock then I doubt if this server could cope.

Facism

If you want to have some hissy fit on how mods here arbitrate their powers go take it up with them rather than dragging such baggage into the threads.

yeh the persecution complex and crossbearing these threads get make a pathetic read, unfortunately :/

Glad MS is milking some extra performance out of their box. Hope next gen we don't see the disparity in ports that we did this gen.

RiffRaff

Banned
I hope this doesn't turn into RRODv2.

Can someone more tech savvy than me can tell me how much this OC could affect the temps on the Xbox?

strata8

It takes A LOT of transistors. That's why it:
A) Takes up a lot of silicon budget... it's huge (MS is "missing" 6 Compute Units in their GPU compared to Sony because they had to fit the eSRAM on there)
B) Mo heat, mo problems. They were having issues at first in early production.

Make note that the XB1 chip is around 5 billion transistors,
and the PS4 chip is around 3 billion transistors.

PS4 has a lot more power with much less transistors because of no embedded RAM.

I don't think the number of transistors directly correlates with power consumption. DRAM and NAND flash (ie, SSDs) both use billions of transistors and they hardly use any power at all.

iceatcs

Really curious for 53MHz because it is nothing to write about, I assume they increase it for other reasons than performance.

Are you saying the X1 isn't? Microsoft has shown more games than Sony?

Did you read the word 'priced competitively?'

Also, showcase of games is never an apple-to-apple comparison.

Some people may like XB's exclusives and first-party more than Sony's, vice-versa.

Some people may appreciate MS moving over their previously 360-exclusives over to XB1 ( Ryse, DR3, Crimson Dragon), some may appreciate Sony still supporting PS3 with multiple AAA-releases this year, when Sony could've forced the devs to make them PS4 titles instead. (GoW:A, TLoU, GT6 )

Some people may like particular genres/franchises more than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom