• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft explains how Xbox One importing could work

But its still not accurate. The devs on here have accurate tags and not "Epic PR". Just seems strange.

It's kind of a childish move to misrepresent someone and not apply that same logic equally across all self-declared representatives in the same boat.

Now, if they were to label CBOAT as anti-PR to even it out, that would be kind of funny as a tag couplet.

I'm inclined to agree. Like I said, "Works for Xbox" might be a better choice.

This is gonna be a long one.

Agreed. Adjusted for accuracy.

If you fixed that, thanks. Not 100% correct, but It's better than what it was so thank you :)

To answer a couple topics specifically. (and I don't know how to multi-quote, so I'm doing it the old fashioned way. Hope this works.)

You changed your policies because of preorder data, don't pretend that anything else was the case.

Not true. There were a lot of indications we needed to change. To say it was specifically that is not true, simply because there are other factors that could affect pre-order data. I don't know how many units they actually released for pre-order, which could also affect the number. For example: If they released 400,000 units, and we released 100,000 units, that could give them a 4:1 ratio. Nobody knows exactly how many units were allocated for pre-sale by Sony. I don't even know exactly how many we released.

To be honest, I never heard the 4:1 internally. I heard the same rumors. To keep myself honest, I don't report on things unless I actually know. And as stated above, lots of things could affect the ratios.

So again, no. Wasn't just preorders. It was a variety of reasons, and in the end I'm glad we changed.

Albert with all due respect, there is nothing "small" about the adjustments Microsoft has made to the XBone. The scope and magnitude of these changes are unprecedented in the history of console launches.

I don't see it that way from my seat. We made ONE big change around digital, as stated above. There was a lot of follow-on (like family sharing) related to that. The other changes were, frankly, pretty typical for console launches. I've done three of them now. I've been in the inside of the industry since the Sega Genesis days.

What's unprecedented is the amount of information publicly disclosed, which makes it seem different. Things get tweaked, revised, reversed, added and removed SO much as you approach launch. So again, having a bunch of stuff change like this for launch is typical. What's not typical is for us to change what we've *announced*

Keep asking this question. The lack of an answer says a lot.

I would never read anything into what I do or don't respond to. I only respond if I know the answer as fact. I know we slipped countries due to localization issues, but I don't know why we slipped that region. The only thing I would generally assume is that I don't know the exact answer, and saying "I don't know" a lot would get irritating. :)

Well, to be fair he's delivering statements as a recognizable employee high up in the Xbox division. While his statements may not be genuine PR statements, it's easy to assume he's been given "clearance" to talk here on behalf of the division he works for.

And let's face it, everything Albert writes here is at least somewhat 'vetted & approved' by MS beforehand. That is just the reality of it.

Nothing I do here is "cleared" by PR. I'm lucky enough to be a position to choose to do this. I am, however, respectful of the organization and try not to create work for them. So, as was posted above, I don't comment on rumors or things I know we're not talking about. That's just courtesy to the team. And I do ask sometimes for clarity on topics we've disclosed. But these posts are mine and mine alone.

To put this out there - I WILL be doing "official PR" at Gamescom next week. You'll probably see interviews and stuff, and that's all "on the record" PR. By the way, if anyone is at Gamescom come to the booth and say hi. I'd love to meet you guys in person. Even the people that don't like us.

Might wanna mention that the 360 launched in 20+ more countries (basically the whole of geographical europe) only a couple of weeks after US/JP launches maybe.

Since I'm old and my memory goes, I went to Wikipedia on this one. According to that, we were in 11 countries before the end of the year we launched. We rolled out another 15 the following year. So 13 in one year beats that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_launch

This time it's complicated by our need to have deep voice recognition. So it's not apples-to-apples with the amount of work needed to launch a territory.

Anyway, hope that helps. Not that this had anything to do with our new policies around region-locking, which I think are awesome and should help out our European customers in particular greatly.

Abominuz

Banned
I still dont understand why they launched the 360 without language recognition for each country and all of a sudden its a problem with Xbox One ?
I just dont get the change of mind.
Every single Dutch person knows english.
We still dont have the language update for Dutch on the 360 i believe.
And still the console sold very well.
So to me it just doesnt add up.

KoopaTheCasual

If you fixed that, thanks. Not 100% correct, but It's better than what it was so thank you :)

To answer a couple topics specifically. (and I don't know how to multi-quote, so I'm doing it the old fashioned way. Hope this works.)

Not true. There were a lot of indications we needed to change. To say it was specifically that is not true, simply because there are other factors that could affect pre-order data. I don't know how many units they actually released for pre-order, which could also affect the number. For example: If they released 400,000 units, and we released 100,000 units, that could give them a 4:1 ratio. Nobody knows exactly how many units were allocated for pre-sale by Sony. I don't even know exactly how many we released.

To be honest, I never heard the 4:1 internally. I heard the same rumors. To keep myself honest, I don't report on things unless I actually know. And as stated above, lots of things could affect the ratios.

So again, no. Wasn't just preorders. It was a variety of reasons, and in the end I'm glad we changed.

I don't see it that way from my seat. We made ONE big change around digital, as stated above. There was a lot of follow-on (like family sharing) related to that. The other changes were, frankly, pretty typical for console launches. I've done three of them now. I've been in the inside of the industry since the Sega Genesis days.

What's unprecedented is the amount of information publicly disclosed, which makes it seem different. Things get tweaked, revised, reversed, added and removed SO much as you approach launch. So again, having a bunch of stuff change like this for launch is typical. What's not typical is for us to change what we've *announced*

I would never read anything into what I do or don't respond to. I only respond if I know the answer as fact. I know we slipped countries due to localization issues, but I don't know why we slipped that region. The only thing I would generally assume is that I don't know the exact answer, and saying "I don't know" a lot would get irritating. :)

Nothing I do here is "cleared" by PR. I'm lucky enough to be a position to choose to do this. I am, however, respectful of the organization and try not to create work for them. So, as was posted above, I don't comment on rumors or things I know we're not talking about. That's just courtesy to the team. And I do ask sometimes for clarity on topics we've disclosed. But these posts are mine and mine alone.

To put this out there - I WILL be doing "official PR" at Gamescom next week. You'll probably see interviews and stuff, and that's all "on the record" PR. By the way, if anyone is at Gamescom come to the booth and say hi. I'd love to meet you guys in person. Even the people that don't like us.

Since I'm old and my memory goes, I went to Wikipedia on this one. According to that, we were in 11 countries before the end of the year we launched. We rolled out another 15 the following year. So 13 in one year beats that.

This time it's complicated by our need to have deep voice recognition. So it's not apples-to-apples with the amount of work needed to launch a territory.

Anyway, hope that helps. Not that this had anything to do with our new policies around region-locking, which I think are awesome and should help out our European customers in particular greatly.

Thanks for putting yourself out there, and really try to answer concerns of the gaming enthusiasts here, Albert. It's really refreshing to get such a quick and seemingly honest turnaround on questions that we have all had for the Xbox One. Just felt like putting it out there, that your work is very much appreciated, and doing a lot to help the 'stoic' image of Microsoft coming into this next generation, here on GAF.

jond76

Banned

Thanks for the responses! Cant wait for next week. Good luck!

Edit: Has there been any discussion about using the disc as a download coming back? I loved the idea of a digital collection without the strain on GBs of downloads per game. Thanks again!

Thanks for the response. I apologise for the my rudeness in making assumptions of your comments here.

I won't be at Gamescom, but I'll hope for a good showing, to MS and everyone else.

Let me get this straight....I'm from Netherlands and so, if I buy a German XboxOne and use my Dutch creditcard, I will be able to download the day one update, play Forza 5 and download the DLC on day without a hassle?

Skeff

Let me get this straight....I'm from Netherlands and so, if I buy a German XboxOne and use my Dutch creditcard, I will be able to download the day one update, play Forza 5 and download the DLC on day without a hassle?

No you can't use your dutch credit card. Other payment methods will work.

haterofpants

Neo Member
Third-tier counties don't have Pizza Hut anyway.

Yeah, we do. We even have ones that pretend like they're "classier" than the regular Pizza Huts.

pizzahutbistrorobng.png

jbug617

Banned

You buy and Xbox One, first thing you do when you boot up is choose one of the locales available for you (13 as of right now). If you want to buy something from marketplace you would need a CC with a billing address as the locale. You can also use points cards from the locale.

sinnergy

Germany it is (I am from Holland) prepaid card for LIVE and downloads from Germany and I am all set for Killer Instinct.

Border is about 35 minutes away from where I live.

Good thing they let this slip, because I was almost set on getting a PS4 first

You buy and Xbox One, first thing you do when you boot up is choose one of the locales available for you (13 as of right now). If you want to buy something from marketplace you would need a CC with a billing address as the locale. You can also use points cards from the locale.

Germany it is (I am from Holland) prepaid card for LIVE from Germany and I am all set for Killer Instinct.

Border is about 35 minutes away from where I live.

Good thing they let this slip, because I was almost set on getting a PS4 first

Thanks
Same for me. Germany is about 15 minutes away.

Wait, does this mean it will always be this way?
Country of purchase= currency used on store? Meaning, when you boot up a Launch UK model in South Africa, it would still ask for payment in pounds irrespective of what country you selected on first bootup? Ouch... theres going to be lots of angry people here that are dropping near $800 US to bring it here on launch...

So Panello, here in South Africa, MS had a huge install base and it dwindled because we petitioned for 5 years to get XBL official support!
My mates had accounts banned for simply being here and creating UK tags to get online and use XBL(a feature that was touted on its box yet unavalible here officially). So two questions for you.

1)What tier is South Africa a part of? Can we even expect a launch in 2014?? What are we, Tier Insignificant?

2)Is there a risk of being banned for using a Tag created outside of your region after doing the X1 setup?

I see this place becoming very fast a Playstation country again after MS decided to not bring the X1 here at launch officially.

If this is true, I must say you're doing a fine job. You're expanding upon announcements and answering any questions you're able to in an obviously hostile environment. Yet, you remain admirably nonabrasive which makes it difficult for anyone to respond to you too harshly, no matter how much they may disagree with Microsoft's policies or decisions. You better be careful though, or you may get demoted to actual PR. ;)

If only Chespace were so diplomatic.

I think that if I were to live in a non-tier 1 country I would simply buy a PS4 and avoid the hassle. Upon launch the difference comes down to a few games that differ and a 100 price difference.

Eknots

Absolutely no offence taken, or apologies necessary!

Really have to thank you for not hiding behind a shell to questions, I've been very critical of MS recently but it's nice to see people from the company talking about it outside of a PR release and clearing some things up.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This seems like quite a hassle, and potentially expensive too, considering that you'd have to import all games too.
Uhh, not really.

With the exchange rate, importing a game from the US to Europe costs the same as buying locally even with fast shipping included. I tend to import US games simply because I'm living abroad and certain games only feature French localisations.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Albert, in Germany, we cant buy games like Gears of War 1, Dead Rising, etc. because they are banned by the BPJM because of violence and stuff like this, they are "Indiziert".

I dont know how far you are involved in Games for Gold, but this is also the reason, we get this month other games that the rest of the world.

I am able to buy those games on Sony devices, there is no IP-lock based on age restrictions.

Can you confirm on this point, that the age restriction IP-lock will return on Xbox One or will I be able to buy these games, too?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does it have a universal 120-240v power supply?

Assuming you set up eg a German live account but are in the Netherlands, would German games be tied to German DLC, or is DLC tied to the live account

Eg I buy German forza 5, and buy DLC with a prepaid card. Later, when Xbox launches in the Netherlands, can I migrate my live account to the Netherlands, and continue to download DLC for forza 5? Or will that be forever tied to the German disc?

People that are thinking of doing this, are you going to migrate your live accounts to the import country, or start a new, temp live account?

Alx

Hi Albert,
thanks again for your contributions, they're always interesting. It would be interesting to get a few examples of last minute changes during console launches, since it's not the kind of info we used to have in the past indeed.
The only example I had in mind was the HDD in the 360, that was traded for a RAM increase, but I suppose that happened some time before launch ? I'm not good with timelines.

RdN

Wow, no IP block for games and DLCs is one of the best news about the Xbox One that I've heard.

Sony already does this with the PS3, and I never understood why didn't Microsoft do the same with the Xbox 360.

Great job!

I still dont understand why they launched the 360 without language recognition for each country and all of a sudden its a problem with Xbox One ?
I just dont get the change of mind.
Every single Dutch person knows english.
We still dont have the language update for Dutch on the 360 i believe.
And still the console sold very well.
So to me it just doesnt add up.

Language recognition came with the Kinect launch, not the 360. My guess is Microsoft are playing it too safe, due to regional dialects perhaps?

I think that if I were to live in a non-tier 1 country I would simply buy a PS4 and avoid the hassle. Upon launch the difference comes down to a few games that differ and a 100 price difference.

You answered your own question. If the PS4 doesn't offer anything that appeals to someone looking at buying Forza/DR3/KI/Project Spark at launch, why wouldn't you bother going through the hassle? It would make sense if they are only planning on buying multi-platform games, not X1 exclusives.

As for it being a "hassle", it could be as simple as buying an X1 from a eligible country with an Amazon store and getting points from there, no?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You answered your own question. If the PS4 doesn't offer anything that appeals to someone looking at buying Forza/DR3/KI/Project Spark at launch, why wouldn't you bother going through the hassle? It would make sense if they are only planning on buying multi-platform games, not X1 exclusives.

As for it being a "hassle", it could be as simple as buying an X1 from a eligible country with an Amazon store and getting points from there, no?

While importing may not be a large barrier for some here on GAF, it will be for the general population.

While importing may not be a large barrier for some here on GAF, it will be for the general population.

Of course, but they also might not be as put out by a 4-5 month wait, as some here on GAF either. Whilst I'm fortunate enough to be in a 2013 launch country, I really wouldn't be bothered by that delay. My 360/PC/PS3 backlog is huge and I have a decent PC, it's still possible that I may cancel my pre-order (unlikely, but you never know).

Top Bottom