• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft files trademark for "Battletoads"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game title you remember from childhood + time = OMG I REMEMBER THAT GAME FROM MY CHILDHOOD, IT WAS THE BEST GAME EVER

There is truth to this, but I really enjoyed Battletoads and even if it sucked it doesn't mean that they couldn't do something better with it.

I went back and played the original Killer Instinct and it's horse shit compared to the new one.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Ah man! A new battletoads! Please let it be for the Xbox.

oni-link

I love the thought they had a meeting about bringing an old IP back, and Banjo and Perfect Dark were shunned in favour of Battletoads

Ivan 3414

Super Battletoads for Xbone pls.

gdDOJKo.jpg

> 6 feet
> 126 pounds

166.gif

Spencer was supposed to visit Rare soon, wonder if it happened yet..

He was at LH last week, then after a few days gap went to Lift London (considering how close Guildford and London are...) I wouldn't be surprised if he'd been already but just not tweeted about it

I still want a Deus Ex/Splinter Cell (one or the other) Perfect Dark reboot. They don't need it to be a regular FPS but a stealth game with cool gadgets would be bitching

Honestly, I kind of wish this is what platinum was working on.

and yes some people would be excited about this. I never played the original battletoads as a child, but I spent a good chunk of my time as a kid playing battletoad vs double dragon. I'm all over this.

I think it's literally the most stressful game ever made. It could also be why I think the difficulty of the Souls games is exaggerated.

My friend always hated when we played this game, we used to take turns playing other games but on this one after a while he just gave up.

I'm already imagining the destruction that they could make nowadays, things could get very intense.

First game was great. Second was was passable, but not as much fun. Did not play the DD crossover game.

I'm worried that they'll try to make it a modern game.

SDCowboy

I'm not sure how relevant franchise still is, especially for anyone under 25, but it could still be a fun throwback.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
It's probably nothing. Just a trademark renewal because they just found out they own the IP.
It's not technically a renewal considering the original trademark was cancelled in 2002. Same with Battletoads in Ragnarok's World.

I'm not sure how relevant franchise still is, especially for anyone under 25

They can make it relevant. If it looks good and gets positive impressions no one is going to say "well I wasn't around when the first game came out, no reason to play this one."

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's literally the most stressful game ever made. It could also be why I think the difficulty of the Souls games is exaggerated.
I never managed to get Platinums, but I think I got all the golds. It's a top 3 game all time for me. I'd lose my mind for a revival.

Kinsei

Banned
That's not Conker, Banjo, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, Kameo, or Viva Pinata.

Oh well, hopefully it ends up being good.

Since when did ms aquire Battle toads? Are t hey not owned by trade west

Even setting aside that the IP was apparently owned by Rare in full (and thus would have transferred to MS upon their acquisition of Rare), Tradewest folded many, many years ago and even Midway went bankrupt in 2009.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tradewest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midway_Games

So even if some rights remained with Tradewest/Midway, it's very likely MS could've quietly snatched up those rights during Midway's collapse five years ago.

TLDR, I would not be surprised at all to hear that MS now owns the Toads lock, stock and barrel. Even outside of Rare's rights, I doubt any remaining residual rights were worth that much.

As for the game itself, or at least the NES one: it was always obvious that the main problem it suffered from was a lack of QA time, both for balance and for bug-sweeping. The Japanese release, which got that extra QA time, was a hell of a lot more fun to play and made the game's strengths (such as the insane things it did with the NES hardware) shine.

Who knows what form a revival might take, though. It would depend enormously on the developer.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Hahahahahaha

Oh boy. Poor Gamestop.

This could go either way. Either the calls spike way up, or 4chan loses interest because now the response is "Yes, we do have it in stock. Would you like to come pick it up?" The employees can't even sound annoyed because they can assume the caller is serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom