• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft files trademark for "Battletoads"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky

Banned
Where did you get the new ip info from?

Dunno if he's an insider, but on a recent podcast Spencer mentioned Rare was pitching a new IP to Microsoft. then we had all of those MS heads like Greenberg visiting Rare around that time...

It's all but confirmed/heavily hinted that they are making a new Banjo judging from recent interviews with Rare.

PhatSaqs

Banned
5.gif

Dunno if he's an insider, but on a recent podcast Spencer mentioned Rare was pitching a new IP to Microsoft. then we had all of those MS heads like Greenberg visiting Rare around that time...

It's all but confirmed/heavily hinted that they are making a new Banjo judging from recent interviews with Rare.

Which podcast? He's done three recently, major nelson, ign and TIC but I don't recall him saying new ip just new project? Unless I missed that.

How can anyone possibly give a shit? Everyone that made battletoads a good game no longer works at the company. They could greenlight banjo 3 tomorrow and I wouldn't give a shit because Rare made those games worth playing.

Should have just made a new IP.

Silky

Banned
Which podcast? He's done three recently, major nelson, ign and TIC but I don't recall him saying new ip just new project? Unless I missed that.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-xbox-one-ip-in-the-works-that-will-push-the-bo/1100-6423154/

Also in the interview, Spencer was asked what its British internal studio, Rare, is working on. He teased that he'd love to see them doing "something new that feels like a Rare game," going on to say that he's flying to the studio's office next month to see a pitch for the new game.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=917425

-Gonna see more classic games brought back like Killer Instinct and Phantom Dust
-Rare is making something, pitching to Phil in a couple of weeks

--

How can anyone possibly give a shit? Everyone that made battletoads a good game no longer works at the company. They could greenlight banjo 3 tomorrow and I wouldn't give a shit because Rare made those games worth playing.

I recall people saying the same thing about Killer Instinct, and that game is on it's second season of content and heading into it's third. Well recieved (for a fighting game) by 'journalists' and the fighting game community.

Just because Rare doesn't have the original talent doesn't excuse Rare of being talented developers themselves. KSR, while not exactly a good game, is still quite the looker. And we've had good games by Rare before on the 360.

Though I can understand the skepticism. I wouldn't want Rare to make another fighting game. Shooter? Platformer? Racing game? (Rare has a lot ex-Codemasters guys so a racing game from them would be actually really good!) Sure anyone can do that.

Except a few of the Banjo designers including the main one is still at Rare. If there is one game they should make it's Banjo.

Sponge

Banned
How can anyone possibly give a shit? Everyone that made battletoads a good game no longer works at the company.

Retro never made a DK game until Returns. This whole ''Rare is Rare in name only'' thing needs to stop. Rare just needs good direction and talent.

WayForward (Double Dragon Neon, Ducktales Remastered) would be my guess.

I know we all want Rare to make the game but WayForward did such an amazing job with Double Dragon that I'd be fine with them handling it.

Plus I hope they make it speedrun friendly, there is always someone running Battletoads on twitch.

Silky

Banned
Can you provide some examples? I'm curious to hear more on this.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...iving-banjo-and-other-ip-for-xbox-one-kinect/

"We've got ideas for most older Rare IP, you won't be surprised to hear. There's quite a lot of desire to do that, and Viva Pinata, Conker... Banjo's very popular internally, a lot of people want to do stuff with Banjo," he said.

There's also of course the hints and 'I want that too' stuff from Phil Spencer on his twitter, Rare mentioning ideas for a new Perfect Dark, etc.

GAFfer Khampheid also hinted it a whiiillle back (for reference, he's the guy who brought on the 'cloud-focused' Xbone leaks/newks.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=135409774#post135409774

So I'm pretty confident on Banjo-Kazooie coming back next year with the info shown.

Kacho

Let's go dude. Let's go. I'd love to see a modern Battletoads. I imagine Phil Spencer with his feet up on the desk phoning Rare saying its time.

The impression I get is that Phil wanted them to work on something new. I could certainly be wrong but that's the impression I got.

Silky

Banned
Bad idea. Unless they can blow us away, Zero left a taste so bad in 360 fans mouths that I still hear people complain to this day.

Phil doesn't really want another shooter in his stable, as he said in one of the links I posted above.

THOUGH IT WOULD BE NICE >:T

Prine

Banned

Main Banjo guys are still there.

The impression I get is that Phil wanted them to work on something new. I could certainly be wrong but that's the impression I got.

Well… I think he meant new in the context of them having done kinect sports for the last 5 years or however long it is.

I'm expecting Banjo next I don't think unless they have some smaller projects in planning we'll see a new ip anytime soon.

Well… I think he meant new in the context of them having done kinect sports for the last 5 years or however long it is.

I'm expecting Banjo next I don't think unless they have some smaller projects in planning we'll see a new ip anytime soon.
I think they have been working on Banjo for a little while because Phil was just pitched or is soon to be pitched on that new project.

Leflus

I still have a feeling we're getting Viva Pinata. There was a Pinata on Rare's last Christmas card.
I hope so.

The "custodian" of the Viva Pinata series is working at Rare. He was actually promoted to Art Director two months ago.

Qblivion

People want Rare involved with this? The company that made such timeless classics as Kinect Sports and xbox avatars?

Are these the same people who lost their shit at the halo ads thing?

Sydle

Would love to see this get the KI treatment and turn out great.

If Rare is on this then I hope they are back to a 2-3 team studio, with Banjo and VP in the works as well.

Silky

Banned
People want Rare involved with this? The company that made such timeless classics as Kinect Sports and xbox avatars?

Are these the same people who lost their shit at the halo ads thing?

They...also made Kameo and Viva Pinata.

We're judging developers by working on an OS asset, now? Come on.

Like I said before. Would I want Rare today touching KI? No. Conker? No.

Perfect Dark, Banjo, Viva Pinata, etc? Sure, why not. They have talent. Thinking they don't because they made games you don't care for is, well, an asinine way to surmise the quality of a developer. Just makes you sound whiny in the end if "lol kinect sports" is the only thing you can bring up in regards to Rare.

If you think ADS is fine in a Halo game, then that's okay with you. I think it's disgusting.

thefro

I know we all want Rare to make the game but WayForward did such an amazing job with Double Dragon that I'd be fine with them handling it.

Plus I hope they make it speedrun friendly, there is always someone running Battletoads on twitch.

I still think Wayforward would do an amazing job, but a lot of the key people from that Double Dragon Neon team (including the director), started their own company and made Shovel Knight.

Teknoman

Those 5 people that were clamoring for a new Battletoads are sure going to be happy.

If done right, it could be an awesome character action game or new style beat em up with a great rock / electronic soundtrack.

Just get whoever did Battlemaniacs or Battletoads Double Dragon soundtrack on the job.

GrayDock

That's the game that could make me buy a X1.
I probably lost (N! + 1)³ hours to finish that game.

Still have chills whenever I have to run against something in a game.... Damn you Rat Race level....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom