• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft files trademark for "Battletoads"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onionkid

Oh my fucking basket of cock.

Right?!

Welp, along with the Black Friday deals coming out, it certainly looks like I'm going to be adding an Xbox One to the family. Jeez, when Microsoft gets kicked around, they sure do know how to get enthusasm building again.

Salty Hippo

Phil doesn't really want another shooter in his stable, as he said in one of the links I posted above.

He said he doesn't want another military/space marine shooter. Perfect Dark is far from that.

So far MS has done good with bringing back the old Rare franchises. I hope Battletoads get the same treatment.

Not really. They did a good job with KI and a terrible one with Conker so far. This trademark is no confirmation that a new Battletoads will be made, we've seen several cases of legit trademarks that turn out to be fuckingnothing.gif.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
are you a Popeyes' kinda guy

Ezells is the true Seattle solution. Spicy. Don't bother with regular. Heaven Sent, set up by disgruntled former Ezells owner is supposed to be good too.

Also, in terms of punishing difficulty, Dark Souls should be titled, "Babby's First Battletoad."

Excuse my ignorance but why should I be excited for this? As far as I know about Battletoads is that it's a decent 15 year old impossible snes beatem up game but I don't recall any praise for it aside from being the punch line to prank calls.

Excuse my ignorance but why should I be excited for this? As far as I know about Battletoads is that it's a decent 15 year old impossible snes beatem up game but I don't recall any praise for it aside from being the punch line to prank calls.

(If true) Another example of MS going into their back catalogue to revive franchises. Killer Instinct, Conker (via Project Spark), Phantom Dust

Rumours of Banjo

Whats next? Crimson Skies? MechAssault/Warrior? Freelancer?
Brute Force!

Durock

Best news of today, by far! This is very reminiscent of when they filed to renew the trademark for KI. The game was showed the E3 after. I'm thinking we'll be seeing this very, very soon. Cannot wait!

As an employee of Microsoft, this delicious sounding fried chicken picnic analogy meets my approval.

vzuyA4Z.gif

Lernaean

Banned
I loved Battletoads when i was younger, but, and there is a but, i hope they get some competent developer to do it. That said, with Ken Lobb overseeing some in house projects lately, i have faith.
My X1 is ready.

Oh man! Please be true... loved Battletoads as a kid. My brother and I played it constantly on the NES. Then later played Battletoads & Double Dragon when that released.

Aeqvitas

Ezells is the true Seattle solution. Spicy. Don't bother with regular. Heaven Sent, set up by disgruntled former Ezells owner is supposed to be good too.
"

1000x this. Every time I drive by the aromatic sirens within are nigh irresistible. Haven't been to Heaven Sent yet. But Ezells is god-tier.

Who really finished the game here? Never made it past that part where you had rappel down.

*raises hand*

Finished it several times. I just made an effort to git gud.

Damn that snake pit though. And the rat race. And the level where you're chased by that orb.

Fuckin' awesome game though.

Toad.T

Banned
Is there any real appeal outside of nostalgia/4chan memes though? It'd be too hard for kids, teens/tweens wouldn't want to play a game with funny looking animals as the stars and those who didn't grow up with the games may just see it as another niche game that only was made as a callback to an era, rather than a game that was made for a 2014/15/16 audience.

I'd play it, mind you, but it seems like MS is going to see a lot of these deals blow up in their face. (This, Phantom Dust, Scalebound)

I'd play it, mind you, but it seems like MS is going to see a lot of these deals blow up in their face. (This, Phantom Dust, Scalebound)

How have Phantom Dust and Scalebound blown up in their face?

Also, if Battletoads gets revived, the chances of it being some AAA games are almost zero, it'll have a smaller budget/scope which will make it much less risky and much easier to make its money back on

Silky

Banned
Is there any real appeal outside of nostalgia/4chan memes though? It'd be too hard for kids, teens/tweens wouldn't want to play a game with funny looking animals as the stars and those who didn't grow up with the games may just see it as another niche game that only was made as a callback to an era, rather than a game that was made for a 2014/15/16 audience.

what

Toad.T

Banned
How is a new IP featuring dragons anything like a Battletoads revival?

How have Phantom Dust and Scalebound blown up in their face?

Also, if Battletoads gets revived, the chances of it being some AAA games are almost zero, it'll have a smaller budget/scope which will make it much less risky and much easier to make its money back on

Sales wise. Platinum games have normally sold like shit, Phantom Dust was a bomb on release, IIRC. Good will toward gamers is great, but it seems like they're tossing money into a pit. Yes, they have Halo 5 and other titles that make big bank, but money is money. I would assume they'd want to make as much money as they possibly could with the projects they greenlight.

Santar

Awesome! Really hope it turns out to be a new Battletoads game.
I think it could work well as a wacky over the top character action game ala Bayonetta. Or if it's on a smaller scale give the job to Wayforward, whenever I play Double Dragon Neon I keep thinking that they should've done Battletoads as well.

My favorite Battletoads game is actually Battletoads & Double Dragon. It wasn't as fiendishly difficult as the snes game, had good satisfying beat'em up gameplay and great music.

Just listen to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy7IQ-i2Zzc

Silky

Banned
Sales wise. Platinum games have normally sold like shit, Phantom Dust was a bomb on release, IIRC. Good will toward gamers is great, but it seems like they're tossing money into a pit. Yes, they have Halo 5 and other titles that make big bank, but money is money. I would assume they'd want to make as much money as they possibly could with the projects they greenlight.

Phantom Dust bombed because the publishing issues regarding PD in America caused it to bomb. Phantom Dust on X1 is likely a F2P title.

Battletoads is likely a downloadable title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom