• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft files trademark for "Battletoads"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hindle

Banned
Insomniac are making SO DLC, R&C Redux and presumably starting work on SO2, they've also said they want to work on their own IP and aren't interested in working on others, I very much doubt outside of R&C they will do any IP work that isn't for stuff they own

Insomniac are also an independent studio who rely on contracts to stay afloat. If MS approached them with an offer for more work, I doubt they will say no. A small DL based game wouldn't take that many staff either.

If not, then I think it's Rare who are doing it. We know they were working on multiple games even whilst KSR was in development.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
OMG

getting flashbacks from that speed bike level

Haha!

Me and my brothers used to absolutely RAGE on that level. You have like the perfect run going and then someone fucks up, the other player almost immediately blew up with... "COME ON MAN! GET YOUR CRAP TOGETHER! I DON'T WANT TO BE DOING THIS ALL DAY!!"

And then the team killing aspect of the game, haha. "Dude, I wanted to pick up the weapon. I'm taking it! *punches player 2*"

Jesus, I hope if this is indeed a new game:

1) It's not a download only / Indie-type title

2) It's not a radical departure from the classic Battletoads style

3) They keep some of the most frustrating aspects of the game

Insomniac are also an independent studio who rely on contracts to stay afloat. If MS approached them with an offer for more work, I doubt they will say no. A small DL based game wouldn't take that many staff either.

If not, then I think it's Rare who are doing it. We know they were working on multiple games even whilst KSR was in development.

What contract work have Insomniac ever done? I dont think they rely on contract work to stay afloat.

Oh shit! Legit potential megaton here for me.

If this lives up to the NES original... I may rethink my stance of not owning every console this gen.

Square2015

It won't sell, another RARE IP bomb on Xbox...just like Perfect Dark, Conker, Kameo, Killer Instinct.
Rare you were so great with Nintendo and your games sold HUGE in those days.

It won't sell, another RARE IP bomb on Xbox...just like Perfect Dark, Conker, Kameo, Killer Instinct.
What the fuck is up with the dumb sales/success prognostication before we've found out if this is even real? Buncha no-fun dorkos up in here.

Madness

Phil has talked about having a larger stable of IP's so this is at least a start. Even just keeping this as an exclusive side stroller beat-em-up is a good thing as it provides greater gameplay choices to MS.

Battletoads in Battlemaniacs was amazing. I really want a sequel.

Nah, Battlemaniacs suffered from "super" syndrome badly. Bigger character sprites, but it didn't control nearly as well and was a weak game compared to the original.

I'd disagree. I think Battletoads sucked.

Sounds like someone never got far into the game!

Who really finished the game here? Never made it past that part where you had rappel down.

Dude, that is the second level. That level is used for farming lives for the later levels!

Battletoads is really a great game. It has good graphics for the NES, rad music, responsive controls and seriously amazing level variety. Every single level is unique and once you know what you are doing it becomes an incredibly exhilarating experience.

OmegaDL50

Dude, that is the second level. That level is used for farming lives for the later levels!

Battletoads is really a great game. It has good graphics for the NES, rad music, responsive controls and seriously amazing level variety. Every single level is unique and once you know what you are doing it becomes an incredibly exhilarating experience.

Yeah I remember using the Crow kick exploit. When they fly down at you and kick them and they bounce off the wall allow you to kick them again, each time giving you more and more points, leading to getting extra lives.

Hindle

Banned
So it's Rare then. I can't see this being a full fledged AAA game, or even Rares main focus now. Development was likely started alongside KSR IMO.

Perhaps Rare are just overseeing? Would be good if they had setup a small team to do things like Battletoad and perhaps other stuff.

Banjo and Battletoads potentially... now do Conker, Perfect Dark and Kameo in that order.

Hindle

Banned
Perhaps Rare are just overseeing? Would be good if they had setup a small team to do things like Battletoad and perhaps other stuff.

Banjo and Battletoads potentially... now do Conker, Perfect Dark and Kameo in that order.

They mentioned a few years back how they had ideas for the likes of BT, Banjo, Kameo, and PD. I think we will see them release all those games over the next 8 years. I think Viva Piñata will be first though, assuming Battletoads isnt what they are working on now.

In before they didn't step away from this ugly look that was seemingly teased a while back:

Bkn31TzCQAAK8h3.png:large

Gah!!!, hideous!!!

Lazaro

It will be very interesting to see what post-Rare can come up with.

With the SNES Donkey Kong Country series returning to éShop it would be funny if Rare republished some of the former Battletoad games on éShop too.

Doukou

It will be very interesting to see what post-Rare can come up with.

With the SNES Donkey Kong Country series returning to éShop it would be funny if Rare republished some of the former Battletoad games on éShop too.

Don't think any game is coming to eshop from MS anytime soon after Nintendo backed out on Goldeneye.

Silky

Banned
Considering that was the weakest IP in Rares bag and the obivous choice for the dudebro target, that was hardly any feat. Oh and that season thing sure is silly...

You can feel the salt dripping from this post. I love it.

How do you define a 'weak' IP? Do you really think the 'dudebro' demographic plays fighting games that isn't Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter?

DOWN

Banned
I always wonder how people notice these trademarks. The real story for me is gonna be why OP was repeatedly checking for Battletoads to get trademarked.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I always wonder how people notice these trademarks. The real story for me is gonna be why OP was repeatedly checking for Battletoads to get trademarked.
I search the USPTO and OHIM databases at least once a day to check if there's anything new to report on. Every Thursday I search for new patent filings with the USPTO.

Durock

Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo both sold over 1 million, which was excellent for the launch of the console. Conker didn't do too bad for it being a "remake" of the original and KI continues to do well. Believe it or not, the majority of their games with MS have been decent sellers, minus Rivals, Nuts & Bolts, and Ghoulies. Battletoads will be fine and rumors persist of a new Banjo showing at e3 next year. A lot to look forward to.

ElTopo

Banned
A 4 player online beat 'em up would work. Make ya' a bet it will be a remake of the original game but with new levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom