• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has revoked licenses for free Fallout 4. $10 credit given

Jedi2016

I'm not in the least bit surprised that they revoked the licenses, but I am surprised at the credit. They didn't have to do that.

Barzul

I have $15 total from this as some other random Groove music promotion email I received. What's worth getting for that price?

Are they even allowed to revoke the licenses? Don't they have to honour the purchase? I know with physical goods if an item is marked incorrectly for a much lower price the store is obligated to sell it to you for that price. Not sure how it'd work for digital goods since the laws are still kinda new.

I know Steam had a major glitch discount for a game one time and they honored it.

Rembrandt

Banned
Are they even allowed to revoke the licenses? Don't they have to honour the purchase? I know with physical goods if an item is marked incorrectly for a much lower price the store is obligated to sell it to you for that price. Not sure how it'd work for digital goods since the laws are still kinda new.

I know Steam had a major glitch discount for a game one time and they honored it.

No, they don't.

blakep267

I ended up using it on some Overwatch loot boxes. The 11 for 9.99( best value of course). Got absolutely nothing tbh. A legendary skin for Winston and Reaper. 2 of the characters I don't use. Luckily I got enough coins to buy a 1000 coin skin for another character

danowat

Banned

You didn't purchase it.

shoreu

Lol stores aren't obligated to do shit its up to the manager

this is precisely why they gave the credit, to avoid people that argue this, yep, I agree, they didn't have to give anything, but when going into customer's territory, is better to give something, as long as it avoids customer's complaints

they just want to avoid greedy customer

flkraven

Digital purchase can't really be compared to physical good. Technically, we never leave the Microsoft Store unless we unplug the Xboxes (and those who did got to retain their license).

Digital purchase can't really be compared to physical good. Technically, we never leave the Microsoft Store unless we unplug the Xboxes (and those who did got to retain their license).

I suppose that's true. If I had an xbox I'd probably play the game offline till I beat it since I assume once you go back online you'd lose it, right?

this is precisely why they gave the credit, to avoid people that argue this, yep, I agree, they didn't have to give anything, but when going into customer's territory, is better to give something, as long as it avoids customer's complaints

they just want to avoid greedy customer

Yeh, now that I know they are under no obligation to honour the misprice it's actually amazing for them to give $10 credit.

Lol stores aren't obligated to do shit its up to the manager
Ah you're right. The store lied to me then lol, I saw the product for a lower price than what was scanned once and the cashier said they had to honour the lower price. Weird.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
$10 towards Cuphead when it's released.

This is a much better outcome since I already own Fallout 4 on Steam.

Where in the world did you hear this? That is simply not the case.

RedEther

I haven't gotten 10$... Could it be because I "bought" it from the Xbox Marketplace instead of the actual XBO console?

The credit is probably being sent in waves or something. I got mine today through the same way you did yours so just give it some time.

ohlawd

got $12.80 back. they even converted to CAD. thanks MS, glad to know I'm not being totally hosed for living in a country with shit currency <3

NoRéN

Where in the world did you hear this? That is simply not the case.
See: any price mistakes ever. Hell, there was a thread for some Walmart price mistakes where people got some ridiculously cheap shit.

I've heard that statement from target, kohls, and Walmart employees. If it's on the shelf they have to honor it. Maybe not true across the board but it's been true enough.

Tigress

I'm not in the least bit surprised that they revoked the licenses, but I am surprised at the credit. They didn't have to do that.

I agree. That's really nice of MS. Except sadly I think they did it cause some people would insist they did cause some how it inconvenced them or something (oh, we didn't get a free game we knew wasn't free. Some how even though we lose nothing when they took it away we feel like they need to make it up for the disappointment that it wasn't free like we didn't think it was in the first place and were just trying to exploit a mistake).

I mean look at when Sony made a mistake with the seasoon pass how many people were railing against both Sony and Bethesda when Sony revoked the passes (and didn't give a credit out which they didn't really have to but you had entitled people getting very upset about it).

NoRéN;208021752 said:
See: any price mistakes ever. Hell, there was a thread for some Walmart price mistakes where people got some ridiculously cheap shit.

I've heard that statement from target, kohls, and Walmart employees. If it's on the shelf they have to honor it. Maybe not true across the board but it's been true enough.

That is a myth that they have to honor it. They in general *will* because it's better PR and usually not worth the little loss of money to potentially piss off a customer. But when we are talking digital mistakes usually several people take advantage of those and the money they would lose is a lot more so in general, no they won't honor it (unless they think the amount they will lose is not worth the bad PR). ANd honestly if the difference is big enough even in store, they won't honor it (or if they suspect you are trying to exploit something like changing pricetags around or trying to make some scammy argument as to why you misunderstood). I mean the store I work at usually honors our price mistakes. But I've seen a time or two when we haven't (usually it's a huge price difference though or very obviously wrong).

Really it is up to the store whether they will honor mistakes and I am betting less digital places are willing to honor mistaken prices. But no, there is no actual law saying they have to honor it. Sorry. It's up to store policy and sometimes up to manager's discretion.

TheYanger

I agree. That's really nice of MS. Except sadly I think they did it cause some people would insist they did cause some how it inconvenced them or something (oh, we didn't get a free game we knew wasn't free. Some how even though we lose nothing when they took it away we feel like they need to make it up for the disappointment that it wasn't free like we didn't think it was in the first place and were just trying to exploit a mistake).

I mean look at when Sony made a mistake with the seasoon pass how many people were railing against both Sony and Bethesda when Sony revoked the passes (and didn't give a credit out which they didn't really have to but you had entitled people getting very upset about it).

That is a myth that they have to honor it. They in general *will* because it's better PR and usually not worth the little loss of money to potentially piss off a customer. But when we are talking digital mistakes usually several people take advantage of those and the money they would lose is a lot more so in general, no they won't honor it (unless they think the amount they will lose is not worth the bad PR). ANd honestly if the difference is big enough even in store, they won't honor it (or if they suspect you are trying to exploit something like changing pricetags around or trying to make some scammy argument as to why you misunderstood). I mean the store I work at usually honors our price mistakes. But I've seen a time or two when we haven't (usually it's a huge price difference though or very obviously wrong).

Really it is up to the store whether they will honor mistakes and I am betting less digital places are willing to honor mistaken prices. But no, there is no actual law saying they have to honor it. Sorry. It's up to store policy and sometimes up to manager's discretion.

Yeah I always laugh when people talk about how stores have to honor that stuff. You're crazy if you think a store is obligated to honor an obvious typo or something, they probably will if it's not too egregious, but PLENTY of places won't at all, and nowhere will if it's something ridiculous like "Hey, we just gave as many people as possible a free fucking game"

Regginator

The credit is probably being sent in waves or something. I got mine today through the same way you did yours so just give it some time.

I suppose I'll remain patient then.

By the way, I didn't get a confirmation email when I "bought" Fallout 4. But it did show up in the My Games section.. Could that be a reason?

DR2K

Banned
This is pretty cool of them. It takes Sony a class action law suit to give credit for their mistakes.

Tigress

This is pretty cool of them. It takes Sony a class action law suit to give credit for their mistakes.

They have no obligation to you to credit you for a mistake that you knew was a mistake that didn't put you out anything (you paid nothing so it's not like you lost anything). It's nice that ms will do thid but that doesn't make Sony bad for not doing it.

While there's no law forcing them to, customers get to a point where it's not even worth it since they are willing to die for the $0.10 they should have saved on their apples

What's worse here is people are getting upset over a price they knew was a mistake (this wasn't an honest we really thought they were offering the game to us for free. It was they made a mistake, lets exploit it!).

Top Bottom