• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft hiring for Horizon Zero Dawn-like game, maybe by Playground (Forza Horizon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldenpp72

Horizon was lots of things, "original" wasn't one of them. So it actually makes sense.

Ripping off something unoriginal doesn't really help their case. Obviously there is a lot of context to a situation like this, but I wouldn't exactly throw them a line in good faith these days. All of their games seem to be samey or derivative and if they aren't, they get one entry or are canceled before they hit.

You could say i'm a bit bitter of my Xbox One purchase which showed much more promise in the start than it has managed to live up to, especially with the whole Scalebound fiasco.

A game like Horizon Zero Dawn but instead of a human you are a car and instead of dinosaurs you are fighting other cars and instead of a post apocalyptic world you are at the Frankfurt car show.

Ripping off something unoriginal doesn't really help their case. Obviously there is a lot of context to a situation like this, but I wouldn't exactly throw them a line in good faith these days. All of their games seem to be samey or derivative and if they aren't, they get one entry or are canceled before they hit.

You could say i'm a bit bitter of my Xbox One purchase which showed much more promise in the start than it has managed to live up to, especially with the whole Scalebound fiasco.
"Samey" in what sense? Any examples?

Zukkoyaki

gamz

UK-based recruiter so could be another team at Rare or Playground's second game (which we know is an open-world action adventure).

Good catch. Although isn't Playground's next Mulitplat? Unless, when Phil signed some new IP's this week it was Playground?

Edit: Above me. lol

Raide

Perfect Tech team to make something fresh. If anyone could make a stunning game, Playground is a great choice.

g11

Good. I want to see Microsoft branch out with new franchises and new types of games. Looking at the wikipedia page of Microsoft published XBox One games, the list has diminished year by year since launch and with the exception of some indie titles and co-publish or timed exclusive deals, it's been Halo, Gears and Forza with Rare exceptions (pardon the pun).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Meh. I stopped playing Horizon about 80% or so through because it was a reskinned Ubisoft game. I have no interest in a reskinned reskin on Xbone.
Horizon was lots of things, "original" wasn't one of them. So it actually makes sense.
lol, what is this nonsense?

Yeah I played so many games where I play a huntress fighting robo-dinos in an engrossing sci-fi story, I'm sick of this
/s

iMax

Good catch. Although isn't Playground's next Mulitplat? Unless, when Phil signed some new IP's this week it was Playground?

Edit: Above me. lol
I don't know if that was confirmed. Either that or it could be a Titanfall-like situation with a 3PP.

vypek

I wonder if they just mean open world action adventure or if it's closer to Horizon with it's setting or something

If this turns out to be true (I really doubt it's a clone) didn't Phil have an interview this spring saying they weren't interested in making games like Horizon? And they wanted more service based games?

jelly

The irony that the developers famous for the other popular Horizon franchise making a "Horizon: ZD-like" game is quite amusing.

:D

i guess Zero Dawn like could mean cinematic dystopian 3rd person action open world. I'll take it for sure.

vypek

If this turns out to be true (I really doubt it's a clone) didn't Phil have an interview this spring saying they weren't interested in making games like Horizon? And they wanted more service based games?

Maybe they changed their minds? Or have figured out a way to make a game like Horizon a service based game as well

goldenpp72

"Samey" in what sense? Any examples?

No recent ones, that would require them to release a game first. I suppose you could say the majority of their lineup is Forza which is derivative in itself. At least they went and bought out some random 3d platformer called Lucky something rather than funding one of their own very desirable IP.

*Bitter Rare fan

jelly

Multiplayer side for sure will be micro transaction central. Probably some persistent faction wars or something.

Sounds like an instruction that Microsoft gave to a recruiter for when they're evaluating portfolios. I don't think it was meant to be included in any public advertising for the role.

I still need to play Horizon Zero Dawn... this thread might have just sold a copy of the game.

KaiserBecks

lol, what is this nonsense?

Yeah I played so many games where I play a huntress fighting robo-dinos in an engrossing sci-fi story, I'm sick of this
/s

I lost interest after I climbed a tallneck for the first time and realized it was nothing but a radio tower. After that, the "magic" of the wonderful opening of the game was gone. It's a great, high quality "best of open world genre" game, but it's not original. To me, the only thing remarkable is the tech behind it.

Outrun

late to the party, Microsoft. very very late to the party

while Horizon and Zelda blew everyone away you were too busy creating scorpio.

but better late than never.

... Because they can only do one thing at a time.

Forza Horizon 3 blew me away.

I hope that we get more of the same quality from Playground.

Please GAF, don't make a big deal out of this and embarrass yourselves. It's a recruitment agency and it's their job to make the offer look attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom