• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft investing $700 million in data centre to support cloud service & Xbox Live

Ushae

Banned
Sounds like bullshit.

700 million to be stuck up the clouds of developers to keep games exclusive for 6 to 12 months.

Only sounds bullshit to a Sony fanboy, yes they have heavily emphasized it but it's nothing that Sony isn't capable of either. I bet Gaikai sounds absolutely fine to you, but Windows Azure/Cloud capabilities are a fairy tale? Tell me something, if Sony is promising streaming full PS3 games via the cloud, why wouldn't MS be able to do the same thing but with current games?

ITT: Microsoft fanboys arguing that "da powa of da clowd" isn't a money-burning useless gimmick.

Only sounds bullshit to a Sony fanboy, yes they have heavily emphasized it but it's nothing that Sony isn't capable of either. I bet Gaikai sounds absolutely fine to you, but Windows Azure/Cloud capabilities are a fairy tale? Tell me something, if Sony is promising streaming full PS3 games via the cloud, why wouldn't MS be able to do the same thing but with current games?

Computation times. Computations on consoles (and servers) are calculated and sent to various components in nanoseconds, while computations over the internet would take full seconds. For something like physics, that will mean that objects will noticeably clip through and look visibly "wrong", and there's no real fix for that. So far, the only use developers has came up with was stuff they could have (or had) done in the last generation of consoles. With Gaikai, the only things being sent over the internet is 1) a video feed, and 2) the controller inputs. Everything is rendered server side, so there's no delay on graphics. The only delay is some controller lag, which as Killzone 2 demonstrates, isn't necessarily gamebreaking for everyone.

jb0762Karq7Qie.jpg

snap0212

Sounds great. Online is the reason I'm getting an Xbox One over a PS4. People that champion PSPlus can enjoy the older games they get to rent for a bit if they want. I prefer smooth online play with the games I felt were worth a purchase.
Do we even know anything about the online parts of the console? I've watched E3 and quite a bit of other coverage but neither company has laid out their plans for online, as far as I know. I think there was a Thread recently about dedicated servers on Xbox One but I couldn't find an official line that said "Yes, every game on Xbox One will use dedicated servers", which is the thing I want to hear from them. I'd like Sony to announce this as well.

As for PS+ and the criticism. We don't even know what it'll look like on PS4 so I don't understand what you mean. Subscribers have gotten quite a bunch of games on their release date. It's an amazing offer, especially when you'll be paying anyways. I've been a Xbox Live Gold subscriber and I wish Microsoft would implement something similar, which they kind of do now but they actually only give out really old games compared to what Sony's service is offering. Full Game Trials are another thing I'd like to see on Xbox Live. I also hope there will be sales comparable to Sony's on Xbox Live in the future.

Both services have their up- and downsides. Have you seen how many people talked about PS+ on MajorNelson's blog in the past? Many people felt like Sony's offering is something Microsoft should do as well. Now they're kind of doing it but it feels more like an "Okay, here... have this old game". Downplaying one service's upsides and offerings is dumb.

as funny as the cloud jokes are(and they are). most will be eating crow for them. When did dissing reliable, dedicated gaming become cool? Oh, when MS did it.

Do you even know what Gaikai is?

Streaming video is less bandwidth intensive then streaming textures and other gaming related as assets.

snap0212

as funny as the cloud jokes are(and they are). most will be eating crow for them. When did dissing reliable, dedicated gaming become cool? Oh, when MS did it.
My problem is that Microsoft didn't announce "We will have dedicated servers for every single Xbox One game... X & Y are the benefits". Instead they presented The Cloud™ as something so unbelievable that there aren't even words to describe it properly. The servers probably enable some really nice things and have their upsides, but there's no such thing as "infinite power made possible by the cloud". It has its upsides and it will have its limitations, neither of which Microsoft described properly.

2San

They already had that last gen, nobody will notice the difference.
MS didn't really have dedi's for actual games. Their server where mostly for matchmaking. I can only recall dedicated servers for Gears 3, but even that wasn't fully dedicated(if there weren't any servers available it switched to p2p). However Gears 3 on dedi's was pretty smooth everyone noticed good dedi's where.

EA with BF3 had shitty servers didn't even come close to MS's dedi's.
We already have those.
On consoles we really don't for the most part.

Sethos

Banned
My problem is that Microsoft didn't announce "We will have dedicated servers for every single Xbox One game... X & Y are the benefits". Instead they presented The Cloud™ as something so unbelievable that there aren't even words to describe it properly. The servers probably enable some really nice things and have their upsides, but there's no such thing as "infinite power made possible by the cloud". It has its upsides and it will have its limitations, neither of which Microsoft described properly.

Exactly. They have downgraded the 'cloud' ever since they announced it so it's bullshit to bring out the crow eating monikers. Everyone called out their initial "Oh power of the cloud, better graphics, craaazy!" and now we've reached the point where the TitanFall developers and a lot of others simply refer to the cloud as a place to get some dedicated servers for their game's multiplayer which I think everyone knew was going to happen with that kind of server farm allotments.

Sounds like they're ramping up to some sort of announcement. There's got to be some substantive and outwardly obvious benefit that consumers can derive value from with all of these infrastructure additions. Sounds like they'll have a huge advantage over Sony in this area so they've got to announce something that takes advantage of it outside of multiplayer game hosting

2San

Exactly. They have downgraded the 'cloud' ever since they announced it so it's bullshit to bring out the crow eating monikers. Everyone called out their initial "Oh power of the cloud, better graphics, craaazy!" and now we've reached the point where the TitanFall developers and a lot of others simply refer to the cloud as a place to get some dedicated servers for their game's multiplayer which I think everyone knew was going to happen with that kind of server farm allotments.
Well yeah, we have people posting shit like that people won't notice the advantages of dedicated servers. Let them oversell if it means more people will care for dedicated servers.

EGM1966

TBH I'd rather just have more games and more variety rather than this which I think is going to lead to less games and more games focused on online only.

The console is plenty powerful enough on its own to deliver good graphics for the cost and I'm not really buying into the bigger play MS is investing in here and what it implies for future direction.

Sendou

We already have those.

This is for single player gimmicks that are implemented to add another layer of DRM. Think Diablo 3 and Sim City.

Where? Xbox Live was swell too but my experience hasn't been all that rosy with PS3 and Wii to mention last gen home consoles. They need to guarantee that Xbox Live is as good or even better than what it was. It helps if the manage to get together a better service than Sony. If you think they need to invest 700 million dollars into DRM servers then I'm not sure what to tell to you.

Sounds like bullshit.

700 million to be stuck up the clouds of developers to keep games exclusive for 6 to 12 months.

This is hilarious. Also kinda sad, that MS went in so deep trying to conflate cloud computing with their DRM strategy that people don't believe it's a continuing part of their plan for the platform.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I bet you go in there and it's just a big empty warehouse with $700 million worth of sawdust in it.

monome

MS threads are the new Nintendo...

So, basically, everything MS does is supposedly done to control mankind and bring legions of gamers into the ardent pits of fire of Hell?

can we page Evilore so that he adds systemic MS bashing as required posting attitude?

just so I don't get banned every 3 days for having a modicum of optimism when hearing a big company makes big invests that may materialize into some sort of payoff if I own one of their products.

Alx

I think they explained the cloud quite clearly at the keynote that followed the reveal, with engineers explaining the difference between low latency and high latency tasks, the difficulty of having to design your software to take into account the limitations of server-side computation etc.
Of course there have been annoying buzzwords like "infinite power of the cloud" since, but I think most of the ridiculous claims have been made by forum posters who misunderstood what it was about.

Dunlop

Thank you for defending the honor of the soulless corporation ...blah blah blah

I've posted it too many times now, but Sony, Nintendo are all soul less corporations. Stop pretending that they give a flying fuck about you and buy whichever suits you.

I think the gist of people's frustrations is we are back at a point where any MS topic is derailed almost instantly with "bullshit!" posts which contribute nothing at all to the topic at hand.

Eventually this particular topic would be known one way or the other on their finance sheets.

I'd still like to know the definition of all this, one statement of dedicated servers for all XB1 MP games and I am back on board

edit: er 1 statment from MS about dedicated servers...without Sony following suite

coldfoot

Banned
The stuff is mainly for Skydrive and Office 365, as well as for competing with iCloud and Google in the mobile space, and with Amazon in the cloud hosting business. Xbox is a secondary concern.

driver116

The deal is worth upto 3bil in revenue based on production volume over the course of the generation. It's no different than what Sony will pay.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=35070457&postcount=10

If MS cloud strategy works well, Sony will be left so far behind, not enough Ddr5 in the world will make up for the difference. I expect the differences in the online service to be vastly different 1yr into the console life.

As devs traditionally get better with developing on the console hardware over time, they will do the same with distributed computing.

Except Sony announced a key "cloud" partnership in February?

R3TRODYCE

This is the thing that's going to further differentiate XBL from PSN but you get what you pay for; Oh wait you pay for both now.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If it results in a superior online experience, then this could be something. Hopefully it does something useful. It would a waste, otherwise.

snap0212

This is the thing that's going to further differentiate XBL from PSN but you get what you pay for; Oh wait you pay for both now.
Sony has their own cloud service dedicated to gaming things. The quality and implementation into next gen hardware is unknown at this point. That goes for both Microsoft and Sony.

I think they explained the cloud quite clearly at the keynote that followed the reveal, with engineers explaining the difference between low latency and high latency tasks, the difficulty of having to design your software to take into account the limitations of server-side computation etc.
Of course there have been annoying buzzwords like "infinite power of the cloud" since, but I think most of the ridiculous claims have been made by forum posters who misunderstood what it was about.
I've not watched every single video but the ones I've seen don't really explain a whole lot.

I've not seen the difference between gaming with the cloud and without. Aside from dedicated servers I really don't know what it's going to look like. Developers are not very clear about what they want to do with it either. I think the fact that Microsoft wraps everything in a whole bunch of hyperboles is the main reason why people make fun of it and rightfully so. There's no claim more ridiculous than saying something has infinite power - even if you connected all the Xbox Ones that will ever be produced and connect them to all servers available then that processing power is still about as far away from infinity as an old C64. The fact that Titanfall reps repeat that stupid line is even worse as that game actually looks amazing and their ideas sound very cool.

Jack_AG

Banned
Sounds like they're ramping up to some sort of announcement. There's got to be some substantive and outwardly obvious benefit that consumers can derive value from with all of these infrastructure additions. Sounds like they'll have a huge advantage over Sony in this area so they've got to announce something that takes advantage of it outside of multiplayer game hosting
Secret sauce. Believe.

Blearth

Banned
The stuff is mainly for Skydrive and Office 365, as well as for competing with iCloud and Google in the mobile space, and with Amazon in the cloud hosting business. Xbox is a secondary concern.

The OP says otherwise.

The data centre will support a number of Microsoft's cloud services, but Xbox Live will be chief among them

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i dont quite understand why they are just moving dump trucks of money and throwing it everywhere. i guess they dont care about budgeting/profit that much just as long as everyone else doesn't make more money than them

I think that's the issue. MS hasn't announced 'dedicated servers for all!'. It is only AFAIK Wired who said it, buried away in one article they did, so from my point of view the jury is out on whether or not all games will have it by default, or if it means it is available for all games but devs must either implement or pay for it.

So, what we know already of their investments

$400million NFL deal
$700 million in data center/cloud support
$1 billion in investments for development of first party/exclusives
A marketing campaign larger than the one for Kinect, so half a billion+
$??? in R&D costs for the Xbox One itself

$2.6 billion dollars + so far

Microsoft is paying out the ass this gen, I thought they wanted to be profitable this go around :p
And now you know why it is $499 and not $399. Oh and the $700m is an Azure cost not Xbox.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Jesus Christ, give it a rest.

Microsoft gave you all exactly what you wanted. You still wanna be bitter? Fine. But don't take good news and act like it means nothing.

Eh? Kinect is still bundled and it still doesn't cost £250. So no it's not what I wanted.

coldfoot

Banned
The OP says otherwise.
Sorry, I don't quote second-hand sources. The original Des Moines Register newspaper article says this, there is no need to rely on crappy gaming journalism to be misinformed.

"Leaders say the Microsoft project will support products like XBox Live and Office 365. Microsoft’s Christian Belady said in a statement: “The expansion supports the growing demand for Microsoft’s cloud services.” The project represents “our latest in efficient data center thinking.”"

Frodo

This is actually a good question.
Why will Gaikai and Remote Play and BC via the cloud work just fine while "the cloud" is considered by many just as "PR bullshit". Aren't they basically behind the same concept? Honest question.

Top Bottom