• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is keeping its Paint program after an outpouring of fan support

Magwik

Banned
But paint was just getting replaced with a better program
Did none of these people read
I suppose it's a win though

djkimothy

There must be so many free and better options. Why is MS relegated to further support and perform QA on a piece of software that has been obsolete decades ago because of some nostalgic geeks?

Well good. They'd be dumb to scrap it.

Holy shit, get dicked. People who write terrible puns like this and claim to be professional writers should get fired on the spot.

That's a terrible reason not to use such a versatile tool in the age of Youtube tutorials.
Holy shit chill out

NDEngrH.jpg

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad its not going away entirely but its a tad annoying that I'll have to reinstall it manually whenever I install Windows in the future.
Aka they will delete it in 2 years due to low downloads

So basically they are using the Centennial bridge to sandbox the Win32 app? Cool for the people that like the original program, but in my opnion they should have ditched the original binary and simply rename Paint 3D to Paint in either the Fall Creators Update or the Spring one next year. The backlash would have been nonexistent, as I don't think there are many features lacking in the UWP app.

pswii60

I use it all the time to crop my print screens and also quickly resize cover art. It's convenient, fast and uses little resources.

I must be quite the cynic because I never once believed that Paint was going anywhere and this was just a bit of marketing.

this is just part of the plan to get people to use their app store.

They might even add ads in the free version so they can make release a paid one without ads.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I use it all of the time at work for screen captures. Crazy they were thinking of removing it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If you want to know who really saved Paint, just know that I am here for the people and that without adequate tools, there is no way to achieve excellence.

b3GmAdX.jpg

teh_pwn

There must be so many free and better options. Why is MS relegated to further support and perform QA on a piece of software that has been obsolete decades ago because of some nostalgic geeks?

Huh? Print screen, win key, type paint, control v. Use it all the time. Works on nearly any version of windows.

It doesn't sound like they're "keeping" it, you have to download it from W10 store.

Right? They still won't be updating it anymore. It probably won't be auto included on newer versions of Windows. They aren't "keeping" it around at all, IMO, just allowing for a legacy download of it, which I'm sure freeware sites like download.com would have done anyway.

teh_pwn

A new version of paint was replacing it. Like every windows release ever.

It would probably be in modern an clash with that sort of work. No thanks. I still use registry to revive classic picture viewer.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I mean, they need to keep it. Otherwise almost all of the graphic design students at my school would be fucked.

Monocle

If you want to know who really saved Paint, just know that I am here for the people and that without adequate tools, there is no way to achieve excellence.

b3GmAdX.jpg
Mister Chief is culturally significant. You can quote me on that!

Also you're right. Photoshop could never.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
It would probably be in modern an clash with that sort of work. No thanks. I still use registry to revive classic picture viewer.

You mean usable with touch? Probably (you can use it right now).

But I was responding to the idea that using it for screencaptures would be affected (you can use it right now, it works fine with screenshots).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's Rochester Institute of Technology. At least for the Game Design section. Amazing lot of artists we are.

I've been to Rochester once. Here's my impressions:

Downtown at 9pm was a ghost town
The old houses and mansions are lovely
The Strong museum of play is AMAZING
I had excellent BBQ and company at Dinosaur BBQ

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I've been to Rochester once. Here's my impressions:

Downtown at 9pm was a ghost town
The old houses and mansions are lovely
The Strong museum of play is AMAZING
I had excellent BBQ and company at Dinosaur BBQ
Dinosaur BBQ is legit. The busiest night of work last semester at my job at The Commons food joint on campus was when we catered for them and had live blues music playing as well. Still have my T-shirt.

CHC

Glad they saw to reason. I still use paint for resizing or reformatting images and stuff all the time.

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
I've been using paint.net whenever I need quick and easy photo editing for a few years. Still, good that they're keeping it. Though removing it as a default program will eventually kill it.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Well good. They'd be dumb to scrap it.

Holy shit, get dicked. People who write terrible puns like this and claim to be professional writers should get fired on the spot.

That's a terrible reason not to use such a versatile tool in the age of Youtube tutorials.
Terrible puns is what's needed in the world tho

Huh? Print screen, win key, type paint, control v. Use it all the time. Works on nearly any version of windows.

Not that I want to defend Microsoft, in fact I just opened up Paint3D for the first time today when the announcement first went live. You can do that exact same thing, just in a different app. In fact, it works slightly better because it will auto-resize the canvas to fit the image being pasted in. Which is perfect when using Snipping tools.

The exact same instructions just you use Paint3D instead of Paint. In fact, it'll even default to it in the start menu after selecting it a couple times or if Paint is uninstalled/not opened in awhile

Alx

Er, so she's saying that features from Paint are in Paint 3D, and that Paint will be available as an optional free app. Wasn't that the plan from the beginnng ? I don't see any reversal, they just commented "wow you guys sure like Paint a lot !"

Majine

Banned
This is a very Microsoft turn of events lol. Having an idea of doing something, then customer pushback and them giving in to demands. They sure know what people want!

When was the last time Apple had something like this happen?

lenovox1

I'm glad its not going away entirely but its a tad annoying that I'll have to reinstall it manually whenever I install Windows in the future.

You won't, because Paint3D will be installed.

Er, so she's saying that features from Paint are in Paint 3D, and that Paint will be available as an optional free app. Wasn't that the plan from the beginnng ? I don't see any reversal, they just commented "wow you guys sure like Paint a lot !"

Yes.

Top Bottom