• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is looking at using the Cloud to help Xbox One X games take up less space

RPGam3r

Gamers seem to have a lot of misunderstandings about "the cloud." Steam, Sony, and Microsoft use it for stuff we all enjoy. Like keeping our saves on a server, saving screen shots, character progression in live games, etc.

After reading this thread I couldn't agree more.

Gamers seem to have a lot of misunderstandings about "the cloud." Steam, Sony, and Microsoft use it for stuff we all enjoy. Like keeping our saves on a server, saving screen shots, character progression in live games, etc.

Don't forget Netflix, Hulu, Amazon ect

dakilla13

Normal-ass web servers, which is exactly what 'The Cloud' is. Unlike these marketing-led PR pieces that have so far amounted to a lot of hot air and no actual product.

Yes normal ass web servers.

This is just embarrassing. The article states they're looking into offloading some of the game data into a datacenter and streaming it on demand vs taking up hard drive space and this is the thread we get.

Banned
Smart move and thank god for physical media. I can't imagine playing AAA games digital-only on a stock hardrive on a consoles, you need the cloud and its a smart move by Microsoft but for me personally, I still need exclusives and compelling exclusives before I pick up an X. Prettier games I can already play that take up copious amounts of HHD space makes a stronger argument for me to upgrade my PC with a extra long HDMI cord since all Xbox games are there as well.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Maybe they should focus more on actually having everything stored on physical media? I bet none of the 4K assets will be included on the disc for any upcoming game. Buy Forza 7 on disc and enjoy the 50 GB 4K assets update that doesn't come on the disc. The Xbox One X doesn't care if you have a 4K TV or not.

Well considering most hard drives are a fuck ton faster than the majority of people's Internet the cloud can go fuck itself.

I'd rather not waste mountains of data bandwidth vs just installing the shit once.

DrKelpo

Banned
how is that supposed to work?
I guess 4k textures take up the most space and those can't be stored in the cloud, right?

so are we talking optional language packs?

But if thats the case, why not just let us decide which language we want and make it possible to download more from the store.

leeh

Normal-ass web servers, which is exactly what 'The Cloud' is. Unlike these marketing-led PR pieces that have so far amounted to a lot of hot air and no actual product.
I never knew normal ass web servers have easily configurable elastic scaling, hyper provisioning VM's and soft load-balancers which don't cost thousands.

Oh that's right, they don't.

The cloud is a bunch of normal ass web-servers yes, but that's not the point of the cloud, it's all the services which wrap around those normal ass web servers.

We already have this it's called deleting games you know you won't want to play any time soon,
And requesting them get re-downloaded in advance of knowing you want them.
There is more than enough cheap storage to keep a half dozen AAA titles completely local. Why make things needlessly complex and insert unexpected surprise pauses.

sonto340

Yes normal ass web servers.

This is just embarrassing. The article states they're looking into offloading some of the game data into a datacenter and streaming it on demand vs taking up hard drive space and this is the thread we get.
Yeah it’s a fucking horrible idea.
I have 3-5mbps internet on a good day. It costs me a fucking ton and it’s the best option in my area. Guess I don’t get to play video games reliably because of the CLOUD.
Offloading games to servers is not going to be a viable option until internet infrastructure is solved.

Top Bottom