• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is looking at using the Cloud to help Xbox One X games take up less space

Kilau

Gold Member
The file sizes aren't really the problem for me, adding storage is easy enough.

It's the damn data cap. Forza 7 would be 1/10th of my monthly cap, that's the kind of download you have to plan around.

Why not just proportionally increase the sizes of hard drives in your hardware and keep this as an "option" for those who might want it?

It's already bad enough as it is getting downloads on release day sometimes, I can't imagine being met with a "the cloud is too busy, please wait" message when the game is trying to load a new track or something.

If they are going to attempt this, the system better be robust or there will be a lot of frustrated gamers out there.

This is where I stand. I'd rather they increase the space or start better optimizing games on the platform. Halo takes up a ridiculous amount of space.

That's an issue with your country (mostly US) having crap internet. I don't want companies like MS, Sony etc to hold back because you guys can't keep up. If something can be enhanced with the Internet then go all out.

As NA is their biggest market, they most certainly should take that into account.

Ushay

Its a pretty neat idea BUT, is only viable when data caps are a thing of the past and broadband is universally excellent for all customers. Quite a bit away I think.

Also this isn't Cloud Compute, it is Cloud Storage ie stream the assets you need for the location you are in.

Again, neat but not viable anytime soon. Plus adding storage is easy enough with external hard drives.

Sounds interesting. Can't say storage has been a problem for me so far, and I'll have a 1TB One X soon instead of a 500GB Xbox One.

Microsoft needs to get their lobbyists to step up their game fighting against net neutrality and ISP's in general. There's going to come a point when shitty internet service starts to have a real impact on the business side of the industry (if it hasn't already), and the actual consumers/voters sure don't have the power to do anything about it.

So will it stream the assets like Gaikai and PS now? If yes then I don't want that crap. If it's not streaming but downloading then why not just allow us to download like normal patch. This fucking cloud BS needs to stop. Just because you bought or developed a Cloud solution doesn't mean you need to shove it in every product you develop.

Intelligent delivery... yeah no thanks, Xbox already treats you like a hostage and doesn't let you interfere with stuff liked savegames or updates.

Why you make it sound like it's a bad thing?

Storage space is cheaper for us than going over ISP data limits because Microsoft decided streaming game content is important.

Unless I'm misunderstanding things, this type of technology should probably be put on hold until the internet stops being so shitty.

You likely will have the choice, so you can either save your bandwidth if you have data caps, or your HDD space if you are running low.

Why not buy a disc with everything to play without need any internet? That is a great "new" ideia.

It's not a great idea because it means 30m of current existing users can't use the new disc.

So will it stream the assets like Gaikai and PS now? If yes then I don't want that crap. If it's not streaming but downloading then why not just allow us to download like normal patch. This fucking cloud BS needs to stop. Just because you bought or developed a Cloud solution doesn't mean you need to shove it in every product you develop.

No, Gaikai and PSnow streams the final image, as a video.

This is more like having a cache on disc that is used by all games and downloaded by the console as you play the game instead of occupying the HDD at all times.

borges

Banned
Jesus neogaf has gotten worse than reddit with people not reading the op and just shit posting trying to get their joke in.

This is just data streaming. I don't have high hopes, especially with speed and bandwidth issues in the US

The level of stupidity on an Xbox thread has reached a new historical max here.
"the power of the cloud" what the hell are you talking about? Is Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive an illusion?
Dont want to play the police role, but mods needs to do sth about this. Every single Xbox thread nowadays is at GameFaqs level these days.

leburn98

As others have said, great as an option as long as it stays that way. However, I still do not understand why we simply cannot pick and choose what we want to install when we first boot up the game. Is it really that difficult to include an option that allows you to do a Full install/customized install? PC games were doing this for years prior to digital distribution. Heck, even now games like CoD allow the user to install either campaign or multiplayer separately.

Like I said, its a nice option to have, but we already have potential solutions right in front of us that would benefit the current system.

joe_zazen

Why is storage space such an issue for MS this gen? Even before all this 4K stuff. How big is Halo 5 again?

Local storage is cheap, so yeah, dunno.

OtOh, size still matters. FfXV is going to be 150 GB on pc, x1x prolly will be the same.. There are folks with data caps, so maybe this will reduce the dl size?

c0de

so instead of a one time download/install, it now constantly downloads the bits it needs as you play and wipes what you don't need? so if you play the game again it's literally having to download it all again in small bits and send it to your machine to access. this sounds worse? sounds like you could end up using way more bandwidth than if you had it all there and kept it? maybe i'm misunderstanding

We've been there before. You know, back in the day, psx games were constantly loading data, we had to wait several seconds up to minutes to get data loaded from disc. But then, some geniuses thought it might be a good idea to stream the data before you actually need it to reduce load times. Perhaps other geniuses might come up with the same idea for this. It could of course also take years again to come up with this idea.

amdb00mer

I'm ok with this as long as it is a choice. I prefer to download all the 4k assets so I don't have to rely on streaming from the cloud. However, people will complain no matter what.
"I have a 1080p TV and don't want to download 4k assets, even though super-sampling will make the game look fantastic in 1080p with the high-resolution assets"
or
"I don't want to stream levels and data from the cloud it will kill my bandwidth, but I don't want to install the full game either"

Eternia

As others have said, great as an option as long as it stays that way. However, I still do not understand why we simply cannot pick and choose what we want to install when we first boot up the game. Is it really that difficult to include an option that allows you to do a Full install/customized install? PC games were doing this for years prior to digital distribution. Heck, even now games like CoD allow the user to install either campaign or multiplayer separately.

Like I said, its a nice option to have, but we already have potential solutions right in front of us that would benefit the current system.
That solution is infinitely better than this automated Microsoft solution. I'd rather be able to pick and choose what I want than letting a script/AI figure it out while taxing my internet connection constantly. The only instance it strictly performs better is the "play while you install" scenario.

Fisty

We've been there before. You know, back in the day, psx games were constantly loading data, we had to wait several seconds up to minutes to get data loaded from disc. But then, some geniuses thought it might be a good idea to stream the data before you actually need it to reduce load times. Perhaps other geniuses might come up with the same idea for this. It could of course also take years again to come up with this idea.

Can't wait to see this system in action in an open-world game with fast-travel

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This is absolutely technically possible.

However, Microsoft launched a game called Galactic Reign a few years ago. It's kinda like a Risk-style conquest game set in space. The pitch, though, was that it had console AAA tier graphics on mobile because when you got into a battle, you'd stream a pre-rendered video from the Cloud that would make it look as if your phone was actually rendering this beautiful game. It also had a Windows 8 Universal Windows App Store by Microsoft release. They shut down the servers because it wasn't financially sustainable 5 months later. So, uh, let's maybe not trust that Microsoft is capable of making the economics of this work.

A better strategy would be to separate 1080p and 4k resolutions, and also language packs, so that someone downloading a game only downloads the assets/audio that they need. You could also do this on discs so that only the portion of the disc needed would install. This would substantially reduce the space cost of games, and would not have uncontrollably bad bandwidth usage because retail purchasers would get the benefit, downloaders would likely only download this once or a few times instead of constantly downloading caching and deleting while playing.

borges

Banned

However, Microsoft launched a game called Galactic Reign a few years ago. It's kinda like a Risk-style conquest game set in space. The pitch, though, was that it had console AAA tier graphics on mobile because when you got into a battle, you'd stream a pre-rendered video from the Cloud that would make it look as if your phone was actually rendering this beautiful game. It also had a Windows 8 Universal Windows App Store by Microsoft release. They shut down the servers because it wasn't financially sustainable 5 months later. So, uh, let's maybe not trust that Microsoft is capable of making the economics of this work.

A better strategy would be to separate 1080p and 4k resolutions, and also language packs, so that someone downloading a game only downloads the assets/audio that they need. You could also do this on discs so that only the portion of the disc needed would install. This would substantially reduce the space cost of games, and would not have uncontrollably bad bandwidth usage because retail purchasers would get the benefit, downloaders would likely only download this once or a few times instead of constantly downloading caching and deleting while playing.

Im thinking more towards this direction: Its a fact that vast majority of games are not completed by gamers. What if its implemented a smart, cloud based "Ready to play" system where you download just what you need to play few initial levels, and then download on demand as gamer progress in the game? That would be a great scenario, specially for data capped users.

GHG

Gold Member
I hate to tell you, but a CDN system is "the cloud"

Let's just break down this argument.

• You don't need "the cloud" for this.
  • This should be available via a CDN
  • It isn't available via a CDN

So we are left with 2 choices
  • Make it available
  • Don't make it available.

What's your point?
It should exist? But it doesn't? But it should exist? But it doesn't?

I know the current CDN utilises a cloud network but this would require an infrastructure beyond what they currently offer for their CDN.

You also knew the point I'm making is the fact that conventional servers (and even disks) can be used to deleiver content in fragments as the end user sees fit but hey, don't let that stop you making posts like that.

And for what it's worth, not all CDN's utilise a cloud network.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
He's basically talking about something they are working on. He never said it was mandatory it how it's even truly going to work.

People need to pump the brakes and chill out.

Its toxic and frankly shameful, It would be nice to get some moderation in these threads now, as its been completely derailed over nothing but irrelevant 2013 cloud speak.

OP, i know you meant well, but the reference to the Cloud obviously triggered the trolls. Lesson for next time.

The Cloud in the headline is just misleading, I think that's the problem.

What they're talking about is more interesting for what it does on the local system by keeping unneeded data off of it. The actual data download portion is similar to Sony's PlayGo

Yes, because the solution to huge install sizes is not to include a hard drive with an acceptable amount of storage for this day and age, but rather to make people stream the assets via the internet and waste their data instead.

borges

Banned
The Cloud in the headline is just misleading, I think that's the problem.

What they're talking about is more interesting for what it does on the local system by keeping unneeded data off of it. The actual data download portion is similar to Sony's PlayGo

The problem is people not reading the OP.

Wouldn't this be an issue for people with data caps? What about people with slower connections? Also how would this work with disc-based games?

It will be interesting to hear more about this. I want to see how they wouldn implement it.

That solution is infinitely better than this automated Microsoft solution. I'd rather be able to pick and choose what I want than letting a script/AI figure it out while taxing my internet connection constantly. The only instance it strictly performs better is the "play while you install" scenario.

This would be the better solution.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I understand MS's need to include the Azure platform in as much things as possible. Same thing for Google and their platform. Cause AWS is so far out ahead of the pack atm it's not even funny. There needs to be competitors to keep AWS in check, and for good reason.

Syrus

Banned
Oh God, not the cloud again.

Why is storage space such an issue for MS this gen? Even before all this 4K stuff. How big is Halo 5 again?

...do you understand cloud storage?? Yhis would be great. They arent saying using the cloud for processing etc.

Cloud storage is already a thing

see5harp

I think more usage of the cloud, assuming it's seamless, is a good thing. The only thing they should rely on the cloud for, IMO, is stuff like FMV.

JaggedSac

The costs of effectively storage versus running actual processing for generating video is a bit different. If you think MS can't afford content delivery, even purchasing a game digitally from them would be questionable.

Also, they are currently going to have separate 4k vs 1080p assets for those that want them. One owners won't get 4k assets, Scorpio owners will. Although, they do have the option to force it.

I don't think it would be constantly deleted. There would be scratch space on disk that would get flushed as needed. So if playing a single game at a time, the time to live of that cache could possibly be forever, until you load up a different game.

This is marketing bullshit yet again.

It means nothing because you still need to get your assets down from the cloud to the user's machine for them to be used anyway.

So you either persist them to storage locally or redownload them every time they're needed.

They should stop with the marketing smoke and mirrors and just concentrate on providing great gaming experiences. Minor details like this don't persuade people to buy your platform.

Treat your potential customers with some respect for a change instead of treating them like village idiots.

Mubrik

I'd rather just buy a disc or download it completely instead of being at the mercy of servers or shitty internet connections but options are always good.

Syrus

Banned

It means nothing because you still need to get your assets down from the cloud to the user's machine for them to be used anyway.

So you either persist them to storage locally or redownload them every time they're needed.

They should stop with the marketing smoke and mirrors and just concentrate on providing great gaming experiences. Minor details like this don't persuade people to buy your platform.

Treat your potential customers with some respect for a change instead of treating them like village idiots.

...what?? You serious??

Hr is talking about the ability to use cloud storage so people can save space. It will probably be optional as well.

I dont see anything wrong with this if its optional.

gamz

Marketing? Where?

cakely

The level of stupidity on an Xbox thread has reached a new historical max here.
"the power of the cloud" what the hell are you talking about? Is Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive an illusion?
Dont want to play the police role, but mods needs to do sth about this. Every single Xbox thread nowadays is at GameFaqs level these days.

Then please, don't. Seriously.

Jumeira

Banned
Yes, because the solution to huge install sizes is not to include a hard drive with an acceptable amount of storage for this day and age, but rather to make people stream the assets via the internet and waste their data instead.
Please explains this. They do allow acceptable storage, and you can buy your own to top it up, but the cost is significant. They're not making you do anything you don't want, infact they're trying to make it less inconvenient if you can't buy more storage. They aren't manufacturing problem to drive business, this sounds like an optional method to help with dealing with the extra data needed. No cost. Where is the outrage?

Oneself

Cool option for me since I have a badass unlimited internet connection... But it's a terrible idea if it's being forced on everyone, let's say, next gen. And I'm absolutely not a fan of "always online" and depending on an unreliable service like XBlive or PSN to play SP games.

leeh

stop assuming things. can you provide the percentage of people who are the large majortiy who isn't affected by things like data caps? Data caps isn't even my problem with this, it's bandwidth. Sorry I'm not living in the glorious usa or any other country with blazing fast internet speed. poor me.
So we shouldn't advance game distribution and give people the option cause its unfair on you cause you have shit internet?

Top Bottom