• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is looking at using the Cloud to help Xbox One X games take up less space

DrkSage

Storage space is cheaper for us than going over ISP data limits because Microsoft decided streaming game content is important.

Unless I'm misunderstanding things, this type of technology should probably be put on hold until the internet stops being so shitty.

This. There are many amazing features that, sadly, are being hold up by shitty isp with outrageous prices for low upload download speeds, or even worst, Data caps

Abylim

Thankyou, some people psoting seem to be like pavlov's dog and as soon as the word "cloud" is mentioned they immediately spam a one liner into the submit box and click away.

For some games and uses it makes sense to have a partial delete, where parts of the game unlikely to be used are deleted from the hdd.

To be fair, there's been mention of cloud tech all gen from MS and not much has come to fruition. I get that people are shit posting, but their reticence is kind of warranted imo

Leyasu

Banned
This is actually a cool idea. If the game could save 50GB of a 100GB game file in the cloud, wow that's super neat. I'd love to see how this is implemented and how it would work especially if you have no internet.

The you buy the disc version I imagine.

True Fire

I mean, it kind of makes sense. It's the natural evolution of Disc 1/Disc 2. I don't like the fact that it requires an internet connection though. And it kills games' longevity in the coming decades.

I wish there was a better solution.

Fisty

I don't understand... are they talking about streaming textures to you or something? That doesn't sound ideal

so you loose internet you loose streaming date and the map doesnt load anymore or twice as slow.

Got it.

Seems like a good idea. what could go wrong.

Syysch

Well that's one way to get back on track to your always-online future. Thankfully, if you have slow or intermittent access to internet, there's still a 4k product for you, called the PS4 Pro.

Sounds like an interesting idea. BC is a feature they did really well, booting up RDR on my Xbox One and resuming my playthrough exactly where I left off on my 360 was pretty neat. If MS does this right it could be amazing.

Why not just proportionally increase the sizes of hard drives in your hardware and keep this as an "option" for those who might want it?

It's already bad enough as it is getting downloads on release day sometimes, I can't imagine being met with a "the cloud is too busy, please wait" message when the game is trying to load a new track or something.

If they are going to attempt this, the system better be robust or there will be a lot of frustrated gamers out there.

They have some of the biggest cloud infrastructures in the industry with Azure.

The question im having is who are those people that can't afford/buy a external hdd given the option is supported on the Xbox.
Why would they think swapping data into your xbox one and the cloud is a good idea.

They aren't even talking about streaming, Jesus guys. They mean for example downloading the assets for level 2 while you are on level 1. Then when you get to level 3 it deletes the level 2 assets and prepares level 4.

Still seems pointless to me though with large external drives. I guess if you have a data cap but buy the digital game it could potentially be useful though.

Leyasu

Banned
I don't understand... are they talking about streaming textures to you or something? That doesn't sound ideal

I understood it like you can download or not parts of the game. I imagine that this would mainly be for digital purchasers.

JlNX

Compressing the 30GB of language files every game loves to pack in would help too but hey, who am I to deny the infinite power of the Cloud?

You know if you were informed on the subject you would know that MS is actually already working on that, it should be coming in the update around the time of the X. Also instead of having to compress it all they are going to let you download just one language.

Abylim

But I don't think that is exclusive to digital games. Doesn't physical games download the entire game to the system too?

It doesn't download, it installs off the disc. So in that scenario, instead of putting the info on the cloud like they want, you could just delete the game, and then when you were ant to play it, put the disc in and install from there, like we have been doing.

I think they mean that they will just store what is needed now. So let's say you start a game up, then you don't need the assets for the final levels, so it won't store those yet.

But I don't think that downloading stuff all the time is better then upgrading your own storage.

Dabanton

I mean... the wording is wrong but the concept seems to be spot-on. People with large libraries of digital games aren't usually storing the entire thing on their internal/external HDD at any given time.

Agree. I've had have some games with massive installs I've had to delete to make way for more.

An option to lower its footprint until I use it again would be great.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member

I imagine it's like the 'play while you download' feature PS4 and X1 already have, except extrapolated over an entire game.

EvB

Isn't this what everybody has been asking for?

Why do I need to download multiplayer when I won't play it?

Why do I need to download 4K resolution videos when I'm using 1080p.?

Why do I need to download Single Player when I don't need it?

Why do I need to download the last level cinematic, when I'm not going to finish the game in the next 2 months?

Well done Ms, I'd be very interested in this solution. It's innovative solutions like this that makes me a proud Xbox owner and upcoming Xbox one X owner.

GHG

Why do I need to download the last level cinematic, when I'm not going to finish the game in the next 2 months?

Why do we need "the cloud" to be able to have these options? They should already be available via the current CDN system.

So no, this isn't what people have been asking for. It's much more simple than this.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So instead you'll have to wait while your "4K textures" are being downloaded every time you load a track in Forza? If this is gonna save a lot of HDD space, that means there will instead be a lot of data to download. Will suck for people with poor connections.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

The way I'm reading it is say you have a game with 10 levels you can download each one as you go if you want so it doesn't take up all the space on your HDD or maybe you can remove assets like cars in Forza when you're in a different class.and know you won't need them.

Maybe a better example would be only downloading the MP part of a game instead of all of it.

I'm not sure it will work in practice and it obviously won't be suitable for every game but it's a good idea.

Why do we need "the cloud" to be able to have these options? They should already be available via the current CDN system.

So no, this isn't what people have been asking for. It's much more simple than this.

That's what "the cloud" is. It's just what Microsoft call their infrastructure probably because it's less techie sounding than the alternatives.

Colbert

Banned

A very good point and a bunch of valid storage strategies to implement such a system for games. Add a option to disable it for those with data caps or bandwidth limitations and there you go!

_Ryo_

Power of the cloud will save the Xbox!

maxresdefault.jpg

Zedox

Jesus people. This is just an extension of what they already have when downloading a game and trying to play it while it's still downloading. Only this time it's looking at what parts of the game the user is at and deciding what parts need to be on the local disc while keeping the footprint as small as possible. If you are playing a single player game, most likely after like mid-game...you won't need as many assets from the end of the game on your local HD as you aren't there yet, and when you are near the end, you won't need parts from the middle/beginning...but once you finish the game, you'll most likely need parts of the beginning if you wanted to start again. It's pretty simple.

It's obviously going to be an optional feature as they know the shit they would get into knowing people have data caps. Yall can stop with the:
POWER OF THE
POWER OF THE
POWER OF THE
CLOUD ;)

Putosaure

As long as it's optional, sure. There is still a lot of people that don't have high speed bandwidth. I can merely get 1MB/s down, which is still around 17mn for a single gigabyte of data is the connection is stable. They really should get back to disc reading, because from what I hear (I don't a have a last gen console) the disc has no purpose during gameplay anymore?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They aren't even talking about streaming, Jesus guys. They mean for example downloading the assets for level 2 while you are on level 1. Then when you get to level 3 it deletes the level 2 assets and prepares level 4.

Still seems pointless to me though with large external drives. I guess if you have a data cap but buy the digital game it could potentially be useful though.

Sure, for very linear games this could work well. Otherwise I'm not sure how big the advantage will be. For games where any content could be needed at any time, you're gonna be waiting for stuff to download a lot instead.

The power of the cloud is so great that you can't even download tv shows you buy on your Xbox. I bought Futurama and I have to eat up my data cap streaming it while I sleep thanks, cloud!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's an issue for anyone storing full games. Having cloud storage for some things may actually be a good idea.

But if we're talking about enough data that it would be a storage issue, that's gonna take a lot of time to download when you actually need it instead. And then again the next time you need it, etc. I'm assuming it will throw old data away when it's not currently needed anymore, because otherwise you're not really saving any space at all, only filling it up more slowly.

Top Bottom