• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is looking at using the Cloud to help Xbox One X games take up less space

Jesus people. This is just an extension of what they already have when downloading a game and trying to play it while it's still downloading. Only this time it's looking at what parts of the game the user is at and deciding what parts need to be on the local disc while keeping the footprint as small as possible. If you are playing a single player game, most likely after like mid-game...you won't need as many assets from the end of the game on your local HD as you aren't there yet, and when you are near the end, you won't need parts from the middle/beginning...but once you finish the game, you'll most likely need parts of the beginning if you wanted to start again. It's pretty simple.

It's obviously going to be an optional feature as they know the shit they would get into knowing people have data caps. Yall can stop with the:
POWER OF THE
POWER OF THE
POWER OF THE
CLOUD ;)
I don't know why they use the word cloud. You are not uploading anything. You just download the parts you need and delete the rest. That's not the cloud (Registered trademark), that's just downloading the game from the marketplace one chunk at a time.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
It's an issue for anyone storing full games. Having cloud storage for some things may actually be a good idea.

I meant Microsoft's first-party games specifically. Halo 5 and Gears of War are 100GB+ each and that's before the introduction of 4K assets. Meanwhile Sony are still floating around the 40-50GB mark. Multiplayer maps and that come into it, but surely not to that extent. Mah. Just curious.

NolbertoS

Not a fan of the cloud, from work, to Apple's Icloud, its a waste of bandwidth fpr using it virtually. If this doesn't become optional than good luck trying to sell Xbox's down the road. MS really trying to push cloud gaming in consoles now, yeah no thanks.

So essentially it's splitting up asset packages into smaller pieces that can be downloaded separately instead of forcing a gigantic patch on everyone, regardless of if they can take full advantage of the 4K textures? Or cycling through different data as needed at different times to save space? That's... actually clever, but something that still requires way better internet connectivity than is available to most people.
Or another thread for Sony fanboys to publicity show their irrational hatred in.
Objectively, "advertises tech that was previously advertised as a game-changer 5 years ago that has turned out to be 100% bullshit promises, claiming for super realsies people should listen to them this time" is a pretty rational concern.

Where's the gil of Bart Simpson touching the electrified cupcake repeatedly?

Marcel

One of my friends is an XBox!

PSAybCu.png

Yep, it is. Anything else?

cakely

Honestly? I prefer my game data to be local. I don't really want large game files stored on a remote server.

Backing up save files? Sure, that's a fine use of the cloud but something like loading in car models and tracks on Forza? Too much can go wrong. Just buy a bigger HD.

itsFizz

For some reason this feels like the most convulted solution to a not really existing problem. Storage too small? Include bigger HDDs! Want to only partially install a game (the level based idea) have the disc only partially install it instead of the need to go online.
This reads to me like an attempt to reintroduce their original plans but this time with 4K asset size as their reason.

Gestault

If this is an optional new feature that tries to address the storage space complaints seen on every platform this gen (before 4K assets, mind you), then that's probably a good thing. The Switch tries to do a version of this where you can "archive" a game, but it's mostly about making a convenient tile for inactive games that has your save file on it, that you click and it downloads the game files from the normal game selection menu. This sounds like trying to be a step above that, specifically with max-res assets (which is good). Considering to compartmentalize download segments (high-res vs standard, single vs multi, etc), you need some back-and-forth handshaking so the network side knows what to pull and integrate (and remove, so you're not getting redundant files). The more they can streamline the engineering for that, the better.

I swear, people who get outwardly upset at the mention of cloud networking solutions were too deep into the platform warrior scene at the start of the gen. They're not selling this to consumers a separate service. I prefer local storage, hence my 5TB USB drive, but I'm not going to gripe that they're making a new option for users.

Withnail

Sounds like a good idea, but since we're still waiting for them to deliver on their last set of claims for The Infinite Power of the Cloud™, I won't hold my breath for this.

Lothars

If you cared to read the OP, you'd realise its a ingenious idea.
Not really considering Microsoft has been bragging about the Cloud all generation and nothing has come from it.
To be fair, there's been mention of cloud tech all gen from MS and not much has come to fruition. I get that people are shit posting, but their reticence is kind of warranted imo
Yup because of that is why people should be wary of believing Microsoft when they keep talking about the cloud.

Leyasu

Banned
So essentially it's splitting up asset packages into smaller pieces that can be downloaded separately instead of forcing a gigantic patch on everyone, regardless of if they can take full advantage of the 4K textures? Or cycling through different data as needed at different times to save space? That's... actually clever, but something that still requires way better internet connectivity than is available to most people.
Objectively, "advertises tech that was previously advertised as a game-changer 5 years ago that has turned out to be 100% bullshit promises, claiming for super realsies people should listen to them this time" is a pretty rational concern.

Where's the gil of Bart Simpson touching the electrified cupcake repeatedly?

What you wrote in your irst paragraph is how I imagine it would be.

The cloud promise from back in the day was nothing more than bullshit born out of desperation. Apart from the word cloud though. This really has nothing to do with that.

N7.Angel

so you loose internet you loose streaming date and the map doesnt load anymore or twice as slow.

Got it.

Seems like a good idea. what could go wrong.

Microsoft will never learn, I'm impressed by them, really, any other company would have shut down if it wasn't for them, one of the worst big company of the decade.

Edit: I'm joking, obviously...

Kaydan

Banned
I know this is a gaming forum and not focused on tech, but some GAF members should really look into educating themselves on the technologies powering their gaming platform from time to time. Especially if they feel like participating in these kind of discussion. Some of the comment in this thread are painful to read.

I know this is a gaming forum and not focused on tech, but some GAF members should really look into educating themselves on the technologies powering their gaming platform from time to time. Especially if they feel like participating in these kind of discussion. Some of the comment in this thread are painful to read.

Colbert

Banned

this.

Rymuth

"looking into" means this is way in the future. I don't think it is a viable option for now.
This.

Similar to Hololens, Illuminroom, VR support etc.
Vaporware needed to drive up positive WOM.

Some folks jumped onboard the Xbox One hype train because of this.

260e2fc23f0c2212f13b9ecc8d514b6e7134f7685402f27b7771d7d7a1a1cfa7.jpg

How'd that work out in the end?

Is Mike just talking about cloud saves? Sounds like a way for you to just have a TB HD and not have to buy a extended HD . Idk but don't see much of a reason to bring up the power of the cloud since this is know and used tech thats optional .

Zedox

Unfortunately, it won't happen.

RRockman

Banned
If you cared to read the OP, you'd realise its a ingenious idea.

Nope. It's like a band aid on a gunshot wound. A cheap fix that doesn't actually get at the source of the problem and on top of that would only work if you have Internet that doesn't go out.

leeh

Not really considering Microsoft has been bragging about the Cloud all generation and nothing has come from it.
All this thread is doing is affirming what we were talking (arguing) about in the 1X pre-order thread.

This is a very viable solution and is rather smart. I want to see it in practice. When Crackdown 3 finally actually releases, I hope it shuts up the cloud naysayers and opens up Cloudgine for other games in the gaming world, it has huge potential.

Nope. It's like a band aid on a gunshot wound. A cheap fix that doesn't actually get at the source of the problem and on top of that would only work if you have Internet that doesn't go out.
Well 4K gaming is only to get bigger, what do you suppose Mr Rockman armchair engineer?

Oh God, not the cloud again.

Why is storage space such an issue for MS this gen? Even before all this 4K stuff. How big is Halo 5 again?

Oh come on now, this is about cloud storage, not cloud computing.

It's actually nice to have a choice - if data caps are not in your way.

RedSwirl

For a lot of people the problem isn't the cost of storage, it's the cost of data.

That's an issue with your country (mostly US) having crap internet. I don't want companies like MS, Sony etc to hold back because you guys can't keep up. If something can be enhanced with the Internet then go all out.

Microsoft's main market is the US. The US and UK are the only places where Microsoft has managed to catch up to or stay ahead of Sony.

EvB

Why do we need "the cloud" to be able to have these options? They should already be available via the current CDN system.

I hate to tell you, but a CDN system is "the cloud"

Let's just break down this argument.

• You don't need "the cloud" for this.
  • This should be available via a CDN
  • It isn't available via a CDN

So we are left with 2 choices
  • Make it available
  • Don't make it available.

What's your point?
It should exist? But it doesn't? But it should exist? But it doesn't?

qxn7iO.gif

It doesn't download, it installs off the disc. So in that scenario, instead of putting the info on the cloud like they want, you could just delete the game, and then when you were ant to play it, put the disc in and install from there, like we have been doing.

Welp....I guess I've been wrong for all these years then lmao! I've been thinking that disks still download on all the systems.

So I guess for digital games, I would need to see how this works for offline gaming.

Nictel

This is a nice-to-have for people with high download speeds. Personally, this won't work for me because of that, I'll rather use (external) harddrives.

cakely

I'm sure everyone here actually understands why people are replying with "The Power of the Cloud" in this thread.

It was a Microsoft Xbox One marketing slogan from 2013 that they've really yet to deliver on. The article says Microsoft is offering a feature for the Xbox One involving cloud storage and now people are telling jokes.

This is a nice-to-have for people with high download speeds. Personally, this won't work for me because of that, I'll rather use (external) harddrives.
How it reads to me is that it sorts of wants to handle some data like a SSHD where "recent" stuff is make more readily available. That's well and good until you want to race on a new track and you might instantly need a heap of new assets that would obviously not downloaded instantly. It also raises the issue of not readily having some of the data available for people using 1080p displays where it would benefit from rendering higher and downscaling.

Again, this is actually pretty clever, but it's for a world where everyone has perfect a gigabit connection with no limitations or caps.
It was a Microsoft Xbox One marketing slogan from 2013 that they've really yet to deliver on. The article says Microsoft is offering a feature for the Xbox One involving cloud storage and now people are telling jokes.
They made so many claims and promises of improved game capabilities and performance. Tech demos, listing games it could help, etc. This and "DX12 will change everything!" are memes for a reason.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Well the first page of this thread was full of predictably reactionary bullshit.

Seems sensible, to me. But as others have said, it needs to be an option.

KORNdoggy

so instead of a one time download/install, it now constantly downloads the bits it needs as you play and wipes what you don't need? so if you play the game again it's literally having to download it all again in small bits and send it to your machine to access. this sounds worse? sounds like you could end up using way more bandwidth than if you had it all there and kept it? maybe i'm misunderstanding

I'm sure everyone here actually understands why people are replying with "The Power of the Cloud" in this thread.

It's 2017 Microsoft no longer uses that slogan. At this point it's just immature thread shitting

Top Bottom