• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is shutting down Xbox Fitness

timlot

Banned
Tried it a couple times. Not too sad to see it go.
173474-Exercise-I-Thought-You-Said-Extra-Fries.jpg

Because most of the people I'm responding to don't even own an xbox one and are trying to use this as some "MS is the badguy" narrative.

What do you care? And most of the folks in this thread who like the service use the service. Who are you to tell them they don't have a right to be upset with Microsoft for this? Sure, its just a license, but your defense of Microsoft utilizing very poor consumer-based practices is very strange. Very strange indeed.

Epcott

I considered getting a Kinect for this. Guess there's no longer a point. It's pretty disappointing this and Spark are discontinued a few months apart from one another.

Dang man they aren't even going to let people still use the stuff they bought? I won't buy Crackdown 3 until it's $10 now because the hell I'm spending the full $60 on something that Microsoft will just take away with no fucks given. Damn I wanted to play Crackdown 3, but you get no money from me Microsoft, fuck your Windows store.

If it doesn't need an online connection, what's the point of rendering it unusable for those who have sunk a decent amount of money into this?

I don't trust MS to follow through with their vision. They hyped and invested so much in Kinect. If they were just going to throw away like this they should have just left it out at the start.

Swass

So I contacted Xbox support via chat and they wouldn't refund my purchase of P90X from last month, here is how he closed out the chat with me:

I was able to check and confirm this at my end and you are completely correct on this one. And maintaining your body fitness must be indefinite and it must not be 1 - year as you said. Regarding to the refund on this content we are not yet been advised to process any refund for Xbox Fitness P90X however since you have a point on this matter you just need to wait for Xbox Fitness itself to announce that they will be able to process a refund for P90X (fitness) YOu can also check them on both xbox.com / xbox forums and new.xbox.com.

So don't you worry on this because I am going to document everything at my end. And you just need to wait for the announcement the will came from Xbox Fitness regarding refunds for the contents.

SOR5

I don't trust MS to follow through with their vision. They hyped and invested so much in Kinect. If they were just going to throw away like this they should have just left it out at the start.

If you reject companies because of failed accessories and things they pitched as the next big thing you probably shouldnt play any thing

I can't name a single hardware company who actually hasn't pushed a product this much and failed

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
So I contacted Xbox support via chat and they wouldn't refund my purchase of P90X from last month, here is how he closed out the chat with me:

Sounds like a refund plan announcement could be in the future from that response. Hopefully that's the case.

Kyry

If you reject companies because of failed accessories and things they pitched as the next big thing you probably shouldnt play any thing

I can't name a single hardware company who actually hasn't pushed a product this much and failed

digital products are certainly allowed to fail. but their is probably wisdom in being slow to put money into a digital service that can fail.

If this were a physical gym closing, for example, there is no doubt people would get their money back

Namikaze

Wow, this and Fantasia were the only reasons I had kinect anymore. Listing it for sale right now. It's amazing how pointless is... first they remove the gestures, now this...

watership

No, we won't. MS is showing that they cannot be trusted with our money. As soon as they tire of a product they'll simply take our money an leave us with nothing.

And the thread goes into the toilet. By this logic, you shouldn't trust EA, Valve, Unisoft Activision or Sony. How about any corporation? This reminds me of the huge outrage when MS turned off WebTV. WebTV outrage. It existed.

etta

my hard graphic balls
And the thread goes into the toilet. By this logic, you shouldn't trust EA, Valve, Unisoft Activision or Sony. How about any corporation? This reminds me of the huge outrage when MS turned off WebTV. WebTV outrage. It existed.
I'm guessing "don't trust Microsoft with our money because they will abandon any product we buy" is this week's "Project Scorpio 4K forced/non-forced equivalent to 2013 PR mess".
Some people seem with intent to make a mountain out of a molehill.

OMG YOU ARE SO CLEVER AND FUNNY!!!!!
Hyperbole sure but that's the direction many are going to feel moving forward, whether legitimate or not. Have a PC? Don't bother turning on that Xbox. Want the interactive user experience that Microsoft promised that you paid money for (based on those promises?) Don't bother turning on that Xbox. It's a problem regardless of however many Microsoft apologists are posting in this thread.

SOR5

Hyperbole sure but that's the direction many are going to feel moving forward, whether legitimate or not. Have a PC? Don't bother turning on that Xbox. Want the interactive user experience that Microsoft promised that you paid money for (based on those promises?) Don't bother turning on that Xbox. It's a problem regardless of however many Microsoft apologists are posting in this thread.

I hope Xbox Apologist becomes Oxford dictionarys word of 2016

MLO

This is my most used app/game on Xbox One. There is no service that I could be more disappointed in loosing than this one. The MOSSA workouts are so good.

This! I wish there was a way to save the videos at least. I also paid 30 bucks for the yoga not to long ago. Really disappointed they are shutting it down.

I'm reeeeeeeally glad I didn't get a Kinect and P90X like I was planning to awhile ago. I would have been pretty pissed right now. Had no idea there was a bullshit online component that could be revoked like this. I don't understand what is so hard about letting people keep their videos.

watdaeff4

For those of us who don't have or want to game on a PC?

For those of us who like some of the things the Xbox offer that the PS4 doesn't?

Get out of here with those comments and the "Microsoft apologist" comments, it's bullshit that needs to stop.

For the record, I have both, they both are good products, that doesn't make me a "Microsoft apologist"

Hoo-doo

Banned
Damn. This always seemed like a neat feature.

It's no replacement for an actual gym, but for some early morning bodyweight workouts it always seemed neat. Maybe they can whip up a W10 app with the content they have.

espher

Well fuck I was just thinking about trying to get into this with my vacation coming up.

I guess the console remains a Rock Band box.

This wasn't just some added on accessory this was a huge feature for Xbox One.

Please name me a company within this industry that pushed a hardware as hard as MS just to dump it?

Sony did not push the Vita hard. Vitas weren't sold with consoles. Nintendo? Sega? The move wasn't pushed this hard.

Please tell me which hardware.

MS has terrible visions and it took them getting mopped hard by Sony for years to understand that their Xbox division should focus on games. You can argue that Sony was arrogant with the PS3 launch but at least they didn't try to add on features that they would then drop after praising it to be the next best thing.

Please name me a company within this industry that pushed a hardware as hard as MS just to dump it?

Sony did not push the Vita hard. Vitas weren't sold with consoles. Nintendo? Sega? The move wasn't pushed this hard.

MS has terrible visions and it took them getting mopped hard by Sony for years to understand that their Xbox division should focus on games. You can argue that Sony was arrogant with the PS3 launch but at least they didn't try to add on features that they would then drop after praising it to be the next best thing.

What happened to Sony's 3DTV push fam?

Chitown B

Virtual Boy.

Sydle

Nintendo dropped Virtual Boy pretty quick (damnit, beaten). Didn't Sega drop support for the 32X quick?

tbf, the original Kinect sold very well and had several million+ selling games. They had a lot of reasons to believe it was a feature worth bringing forward into this gen.

SegaShack

This is so crappy. It was a really great program and I used it a lot. Why can't we download and play offline? I really don't like going to gyms and this was a perfect solution.

Mossa Fight for life.

I really dislike it when games are simply turned off.

I'm used to being able to play a game I bought 20 years ago if I want to, when I want to. Just a reminder how these games that are dependent on always being online and communicating with a server are going to fuck over video game history and legacy for the foreseeable future.

Fewr

As stated by others, XBOX Fitness is the only redeemable product that I turn my XBOX ONE on for.
...that and early access to Division.

It was the only thing that kept me interested in getting one (I own PS4 and Wii U). I no longer have a reason then.

Chitown B

I really dislike it when games are simply turned off.

I'm used to being able to play a game I bought 20 years ago if I want to, when I want to. Just a reminder how these games that are dependent on always being online and communicating with a server are going to fuck over video game history and legacy for the foreseeable future.

You need to remember that very few people care about video game history and legacy, or playing 20-30 year old games on original hardware, etc. It's a vocal minority. Most people just move on.

Ploid 3.0

This was an amazing idea, and great use for Kinect. What happened to the kinect idea storming? What was the best game with Kinect? It seemed to have so much promise. Steel Battalion was a mess but I wish people kept trying. Maybe it's for the best, but the Fitness idea was solid.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing useful with Kinect besides being able to turn on the console by voice and the occasional Dance Central. Might as well pack this device and never use it again.

Although I understand the decision, I've been very disappointed with Microsoft this generation.

Chitown B

The only thing useful with Kinect besides being able to turn on the console by voice and the occasional Dance Central. Might as well pack this device and never use it again.

Although I understand the decision, I've been very disappointed with Microsoft this generation.

only thing I use it for anymore is Skype, which is very useful and the best Skype ever. Follows you around the room, zooms in and out automatically. Great for visiting with the folks.

SOR5

Please tell me

The Wii U The Virtual Boy The PS Vita Playstation 3D TV's N-Gage Playstation Home Nintendo Wifi Connection Dreamcast The Great PSN Hack Sony E3 2006 Sega Mega CD Sega 32X N64 Cartridges Gamecube Discs Nintendo's Third Party Support Sega Saturn PSP Go MAG Nintendo's Third Party Support In General Playstation Move EyeToy N64DD Atari Jaguar Steam Machines The Game Boy Printer The N64 Transfer Pak The E-Reader Wii Speak The Sixaxis UMD's Xperia Play Cell Processor

SonyNintendoSegaAtariValve Too, commercial failures exist, they happen just like Kinect, just like GFWL, just like Fable Legends

But Xbox Fitness really was the straw that broke the camels back or something

LordRaptor

The Wii U The Virtual Boy The PS Vita Playstation 3D TV's N-Gage Playstation Home Nintendo Wifi Connection Dreamcast The Great PSN Hack Sony E3 2006 Sega Mega CD Sega 32X N64 Cartridges Gamecube Discs Nintendo's Third Party Support Sega Saturn PSP Go MAG Nintendo's Third Party Support In General Playstation Move EyeToy N64DD Atari Jaguar Steam Machines The Game Boy Printer The N64 Transfer Pak The E-Reader Wii Speak The Sixaxis UMD's Xperia Play

SonyNintendoSegaAtariValve Too, commercial failures exist, they happen just like Kinect, just like GFWL, just like Fable Legends

But Xbox Fitness really was the straw that broke the camels back or something

Alex, is it "What is a faulty comparison?"

SOR5

Alex, is it "What is a faulty comparison?"

I absolutely stand by the fact that some of those products were pushed as much as Kinect, were as important (if not more) then Kinect and failed

The sad thing is, I genuinely hate the Kinect and some of those products listed there deserved way better support.

Top Bottom