• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft marketing push for Xbox One has started

Schrade

Another advantage the iPad has over the XB1 and PS4 is that parents upgrade and pass down their older model. I'm only an uncle and have upgraded with each iPad gen and passed my old pad onto one of the kids in my family.

That happens with consoles, too. Just happens less frequently. Many people will get the next 'slim' model of their console and upgrade to that and pass along their previous one to someone else.

No difference, really. Not sure why you're saying there's an advantage for the iPad?

I think it's hilarious that you need a marketing material to advertise that the device you're bundling with the system, can in fact, be turned off.

kfHcfDq.png

Its funny how this reads like this wasn't something people were already doing freely on previous systems

Can you imagine how weird this advertising seems to someone who doesn't follow gaming news?

Weird that they even feel the need to explain to a typical casual Xbox 360 owner

"Hey! Did you know that we didn't change our policies that you currently enjoy on your 360?"

Its funny how this reads like this wasn't something people were already doing freely on previous systems

Can you imagine how weird this advertising seems to someone who doesn't follow gaming news?

Weird that they even feel the need to explain to a typical casual Xbox 360 owner

"Hey! Did you know that we didn't change our policies that you currently enjoy on your 360?"

Yep a big selling point of the XB1 as it sits right now is that it operates in the same fashion as the previous console X360

That speaks volumes for how messed up the initial policies were

Redshirt

Banned
That happens with consoles, too. Just happens less frequently. Many people will get the next 'slim' model of their console and upgrade to that and pass along their previous one to someone else.

No difference, really. Not sure why you're saying there's an advantage for the iPad?

That it happens less frequently is the difference, in my opinion.

Pain

Banned
That it happens less frequently is the difference, in my opinion.
Xbox 360
Xbox 360 Slim
Xbox 360 E(xbox one look-alike)

PS3
PS3 Slim
Ps3 Super Slim

Even Nintendo released a Wii Mini..

That's 3 within an 8-year period. The 360 E version was completely unnecessary IMO.
With that being said I expect there to be an equal number of revisions, if not more next-gen. Its necessary to cut down costs.

Redshirt

Banned
I meant I don't think people pass consoles down as often as they do tablets because there are less adults with consoles to pass down than there are those with tablets.

I meant I don't think people pass consoles down as often as they do tablets because there are less adults with consoles to pass down than there are those with tablets.

Not to jump into this too much but I also think consoles likely get traded in towards a new console more than tablets, not sure on phones as you can trade it into places but rarely where I'd get a new phone unless that's changed?

i would love to see the original marketing material pre-180. I wonder what they looked like and what messaging was involved.

Ashes

Banned
One of these days they will be just transparent, you know? Like tell us how many active gold users there are on certain days.

what does the footnote mean

Home Gold Benefits limited to a single Xbox One in Home

that just means that one main system? and if you log into another system you won't get its benefit? or it just means one at a time?

Dynze

Banned

that just means that one main system? and if you log into another system you won't get its benefit? or it just means one at a time?

I think it means one Xbox at a time. I remember them saying that if your friend has silver, and you recover your gold account on their system, they will get gold benefits too. But when you recover your profile back onto your system, they will lose the benefits.

nomis

There's an expression from politics that fits here: if you're the one explaining, you're losing. Months later Microsoft is still combating the horrific first impressions people have of the system. They will dissipate over time but it's telling they're still trying to correct their messaging.

GET THE FACTS

THAT WEREN'T ALWAYS THE FACTS, WHICH IS WHY WE HAVE TO KEEP REITERATING THEM

UNCMark

Banned

You have one main system upon which your Gold account extends to everyone that uses it. If you use another Xbox One, you'll have gold benefits but it won't extend to anyone else.

As a Gold account member, you define one console that is your "Home Gold" console that any account is granted Gold benefits on.
Your Gold account can be used on any console.

Hindle

Banned
I'd estimate that 48m people have all paid for Gold over the last 8 years. But obviously there's no way that's the current user base. 25m actively paying would be my guess.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Madden 25/NFL commercial with Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3H9vVleT7M

had to explain the difference between falcons, ravens and Seahawks to my five year old daughter today:

Falcon is a compact, easily domesticated bird that eats rodents.

Raven is an intelligent but ungainly bird that eats carrion.

Seahawk is a majestic mythical bird as big as a jet that drinks your milkshake. It drinks it all up.

So many XBox commercials during SNF. Most dont show a game being played at all. Watching football, playing fantasy, and skype. I know thats the target here but something about a game console not featuring a game makes me sad

GodofWine

So many XBox commercials during SNF. Most dont show a game being played at all. Watching football, playing fantasy, and skype. I know thats the target here but something about a game console not featuring a game makes me sad

If i didnt know what this xbox one thinga ma jig was, those commercials would make me think it was an add on box for tvs to make them smart web enabled tvs.

Biker19

Banned
I keep seeing the advertisement that says:

Xbox One - The best value in gaming and entertainment.

It bugs the shit out of me because it is so far from the truth. The 360 will be a much better value when the Xbox One comes out.

I agree. While Microsoft's doing what they're trying to do being a "All-In-One Entertainment Box," with Xbox One, other companies are already acting upon what Microsoft's doing in which could easily make Xbox One irrelevant in that, such as Samsung with their newly built Smart TV (here), & Apple with their upcoming Apple iTV, especially towards people that doesn't care about gaming.

Another point in this is that companies like Apple, Google, & Samsung are much bigger in popularity than either Microsoft or Sony are.

njean777

Even though I am not getting an Xbox One and have no interest in it at all, I laughed at the Ray Lewis commercial.

Top Bottom