• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft mismanagement ofthird party partnerships leaving developers in a bad state?

They greenlight/funded ME? Source? Marketing it doesn't mean they were responsible for the ip. It is on Playstation, if they funded it that is doubtful. :rolleyes:. If it were an MS ip it would not be on PS now, MS didn't make Mass Effect at all.

By your logic Sony is responsible for GTA 3.

You don't know that they published first Mass Effect and it was originally Xbox 360 exclusive? If you trying to downplay positive sides of MS presence in console business, you should at least know wellknown things like ME origins.

You don't know that they published first Mass Effect and it was originally Xbox 360 exclusive? If you trying to downplay positive sides of MS presence in console business, you should at least know wellknown things like ME origins.

Sigh, what does that have to do with them being responsible for the ip? so was Sony responsible for GTA 3? Being a third party exclusive doesn't make them responsible for the ip. MS never funded ME, don't own it, never developed it.

Outrun

They published the first ME for Christ sake.

Just because they didn't required the IP like Sony doesn't make their contribution any less than what it was. If anything it shows how much more Ms has made for the market for funding projects they didn't even own.

Forget reasoning with people that are so polarized that they negate any good a corporation has done for the industry.

When I claimed that the Xbox had the best open-worlded racer in FH3, a certain individual countered with "that's arguable".

When it comes to potential positives, everything is arguable.

What is absolute though is that MS shafted PG.

He is obviously not going to tell you the name of the game in question because it exposes the developer to something that if they wanted to air publically would be public.
When he makes a point of corporate changes meddling with games in development he has to provide at least a solid evidence for that.

Specially when many of the games they funded didn't have the feature he claimed tackled on.

I used it mostly as an example, but this sounds like what happened on Scalebound: it started as primarily single player experience with some multiplayer, and then shifted to a primarily co-op multiplayer experience.
That's very unlikely when in TGS 2014 the team was saying it was unfortunate that they couldn't announce the Mp components, but hinted this:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/19/tgs-2014-scalebound-developer-teases-multiplayer

“But as Kamiya touched on it earlier, we are not building this as a pure sort of linear boss [game. The] player can then go and go back if you want to and replay the entire game, so we’ll kind of leave that up to your imagination."

Does this sounds like something tackled on, or a feature preeminent ever since the game got announced?

Again, do you have any first hand experience on that sort of interactions, or you are basing this on one sided info, sometimes even faulted information from "insiders"? Who by the way seems to have taken a few liberties to say the least when talking about Kamiya health state.

Phantom Dust was basically the opposite - signed as a MP-focused "eSports" title, but then they decided they needed a strong single player campaign because the original game had one / fans would want one, and MS wouldn't renegotiate.

That according to one side of the story. Do you speak of any personal experience, or have any first hand information on that?

If increasing the scope of the project without paying anything more for that was anything common for Ms we would way more concrete info than that.

When he makes a point of corporate changes meddling with games in development he has to provide at least a solid evidence for that.

Specially when many of the games they funded didn't have the feature he claimed tackled on.

That's very unlikely when in TGS 2014 the team was saying it was unfortunate that they couldn't announce the Mp components, but hinted this:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/19/tgs-2014-scalebound-developer-teases-multiplayer

“But as Kamiya touched on it earlier, we are not building this as a pure sort of linear boss [game. The] player can then go and go back if you want to and replay the entire game, so we’ll kind of leave that up to your imagination."

Does this sounds like something tackled on, or a feature preeminent ever since the game got announced?

Again, do you have any first hand experience on that sort of interactions, or you are basing this on one sided info, sometimes even faulted information from "insiders"? Who by the way seems to have taken a few liberties to say the least when talking about Kamiya health state.

That according to one side of the story. Do you speak of any personal experience, or have any first hand information on that?

If increasing the scope of the project without paying anything more for that was anything common for Ms we would way more concrete info than that.
Where is your source MS funded ME?

rakanishu

Banned
Paying for online

Well. There wasn't any proper online infrastructure for consoles before XBL. I agree that it felt wrong, but how could it have been avoided? Someone has to pay for dedicated servers and bandwidth. Being free on PC isn't really an argument because dedicated servers was never really a thing outside of services that actually had subscriptions over there. I still feel like users should be able to host their own servers in games, but that is up to the developer.

In all fairness, did you expect Sony to say "The 360 kicked our ass and taught us a thing or two, so instead of splitting the memory pool like we did on PS3, we unified it. We made our focus on gaming, not media and ensured our architecture was as efficient as possible".

They literally took the 360 blueprint and re-used it. They're obviously going to disguise "Our competition did this so we copied" as "We spoke to developers".

If anything the PS4 is following the PSVita's path, with Mark Cerny working on both those systems and them being easier to develop for and both having unified memory.

Or is that also a response to the 360?

You mean like what happened when Ps3 was an absolute disaster to develop for?

Sony did it first then if we are going by ridiculous arguments XD

Oh, and moneyhats? Sony went there first as well.

Sony never forced parity on anything. Plenty games in ps1/2/3 eras looked better or had more content on other systems.

Also don't change argument.

You need to chill out mate.

Are you seriously arguing that MS contributed nothing to the industry?

Pathetic.

WTF, were did I say they didn't contribute anything? Why are you jumping to silly conclusions? Someone asked a question, I answered. You need to chill out more like it.

If MS bullies indies and they go to Sony as a result, isn't that just proof that we need competition?
Exclusive timed DLC is something MS invented?

Yes timed DLC was not a thing until MS started it.

Sigh, what does that have to do with them being responsible for the ip? so was Sony responsible for GTA 3? Being a third party exclusive doesn't make them responsible for the ip. MS never funded ME, don't own it, never developed it.
What the fuck? GTA 3 was published by Take-Two, why you keep bringing it as example? Microsoft published (that means it was funded by them, if you don't know english well) and helped with development of first Mass Effect, It's mentioned on wikipedia and in several interviews:
The team worked closely with Microsoft on several elements of the interface to make sure the combat was tactical enough,and went through a lot of trial and error to balance the combat between role-playing game and shooter.
But of course, you can still be biased and keep shitting on Microsoft because you don't like them in some ways.

I've been a pretty big fan of Phil's crew turning things around for Xbone after Mattrick's cluster-fuck launch. But...if there's proof that MS was withholding pay from PG...I mean, damn. From a purely consumer perspective, this would undo some of the warm n fuzzies I've felt towards them for the past 18 months or so. This has to be a bit of a PR problem within the community, no? *sigh* Just fucking treat people right and pay them well. It's not a high bar for a company with ~$125 billion in cash.

FyreWulff

Microsoft 100% funded Mass Effect 1, that's why the PS3 only had 2 and 3 for the longest time.

What the fuck? GTA 3 was published by Take-Two, why you keep bringing it as example? Microsoft published (that means it was funded by them, if you don't know english well) and helped with development of first Mass Effect, It's mentioned on wikipedia and in several interviews:

But of course, you can still be biased and keep shitting on Microsoft because you don't like them in some ways.

Publish does NOT mean funded. Nothing you posted shows they funded it at all. Bioware is not some small time RPG studio that needed funding.

Microsoft 100% funded Mass Effect 1, that's why the PS3 only had 2 and 3 for the longest time.

Source?

MS published witcher 2 on xbox as well does that mean they funded witcher 2 as well? Publish does in fact not mean funded.

Cool. So you don't have a proper source. Then why even bring it up?

I'm a PC gamer. Why would I know about this?

Because you don't want to.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-24-why-microsoft-wont-publish-psn-firsts

"Titles for Xbox 360 must ship at least simultaneously with other video game platform, and must have at least feature and content parity on-disc with the other video game platform versions in all regions where the title is available," it reads.

"If these conditions are not met, Microsoft reserves the right to not allow the content to be released on Xbox 360."

This also applies to Xbox Live Arcade games. Other Online Content "must simultaneously release on Xbox Live Marketplace in all regions where the game is available". Any demo on Xbox Live Marketplace "must ship within the same week of its launch on other video game platforms or via magazines".
One representative from a publisher who wished to remain anonymous told Eurogamer Microsoft's policy blocks developers from taking advantage of other platforms' strengths.

"Microsoft is suggesting that anything but parity will result in them not carrying a title. They may think this is competitive, but it's not. They are killing any creative exposure of titles to make up for their own platform's shortcomings."

Plenty of examples thought the years.

You know I think after this week and all the news I've read I'm pretty sure the Scorpio will be a steam / windows hybrid embedded platform with MS making money from commission sales. This is the only conclusion I can read into everything that has gone on and this is how MS will keep the gaming division afloat.

Current lack of investor confidence in the division
Literally no news of any new games
Win10 cross play
Digitial only at the start of the generation
Slowly pulling development of games
Legacy XO support out of the box
Half-hearted Windows Store support
360 Controller support within Steam already
It's Microsoft. They are PC.

This makes sense to me. I think Valve and MS might have something big up their sleeve this E3. Happy to be proven wrong with a stellar line-up pulled straight out of their arse, but I can't see it. I think this honestly makes good sense when looking at the big picture (pun intended). Drip feed some games then get out of the publishing biz to make your money on commission.

Who's with me?

I have felt that MS was always headed towards a "Xbox as a service" something that is either a streaming service with the Live online store built into Windows, MS is big on cloud services. Or Xbox will simply become a spec to replace games for Windows that will have boxes built by third parties to match that spec for a guaranteed level of performance and access to MS servers for online play.

leeh

Just going to say this out-right. If developers don't have the right legally-binding contracts and agreements in-place to protect themselves, then it's their own fault.

Every client in the world tries to get everything for nothing. It's how you client.

Don't set up a game development company without the right business people, developers are developers.

Dehnus

WTF, were did I say they didn't contribute anything? Why are you jumping to silly conclusions? Someone asked a question, I answered. You need to chill out more like it.

Yes timed DLC was not a thing until MS started it.

I don't want to defend MS but: GTA 3. PC people had to wait ages for that one. Now it's not DLC, but timed exlcusive has been around for ages.

That said I hate DLC. Not due to the potential it has, but due to how it's used to sell unfinished and deliberately gutted games for some extra buck. DLC should be like an expansion, not extra money to buy a whole game.

rakanishu

Banned
Because you don't want to.

Nail on the head, man.

"Titles for Xbox 360 must ship at least simultaneously with other video game platform, and must have at least feature and content parity on-disc with the other video game platform versions in all regions where the title is available," it reads.

"If these conditions are not met, Microsoft reserves the right to not allow the content to be released on Xbox 360."
How does this hurt the industry?

This also applies to Xbox Live Arcade games. Other Online Content "must simultaneously release on Xbox Live Marketplace in all regions where the game is available". Any demo on Xbox Live Marketplace "must ship within the same week of its launch on other video game platforms or via magazines".
This is straight up a positive.

One representative from a publisher who wished to remain anonymous told Eurogamer Microsoft's policy blocks developers from taking advantage of other platforms' strengths.

"Microsoft is suggesting that anything but parity will result in them not carrying a title. They may think this is competitive, but it's not. They are killing any creative exposure of titles to make up for their own platform's shortcomings."
This is speculation.

AHindD

Cool. So you don't have a proper source. Then why even bring it up?

I'm a PC gamer. Why would I know about this?

As a PC gamer, you should install something called Chrome, Firefox, or use the built-in browser (you have to click the Windows key, and type 'Edge' to open it), and google it (type in www.google.com in the 'address' field of your chosen browser, following the steps above).

Type 'Xbox indie parity clause' into the search field and click 'enter'. Then, select any of the 8,800 results that appear.

Kyry

I don't want to defend MS but: GTA 3. PC people had to wait ages for that one.

For a port of the game? Sure. But thats not the same as waiting for DLC. Making some customers wait to buy DLC is basically treating them like second class customers

LordRaptor

Just going to say this out-right. If developers don't have the right legally-binding contracts and agreements in-place to protect themselves, then it's their own fault.

Every client in the world tries to get everything for nothing. It's how you client.

Don't set up a game development company without the right business people, developers are developers.

A multibillion dollar global conglomerate might be used to treating contract negotiations like war, and send their best and trickiest lawyers to try and fuck over the other party as much as possible as a pre-emptive strike assuming the other party is trying to do the same.

But its hard to believe thats how a 2 man indie team are approaching things when they're thinking "cool, I get to release my game on console!"

How does this hurt the industry?

Killing creativity, gimping features, forcing small devs to do things they don't want to, gamers missing out because PS got something first and MS then say no to porting. Disc content being forced in downloads to loophole the rules.

Etc etc.

FyreWulff

Living through the 360's run?

Mass Effect 1 was a Microsoft published game. BioWare was allowed to retain the IP. EA swooped in and bought BioWare and all their IPs, including ME1.

EA only had the publishing rights to 2 and 3, but not 1, even though they owned the IP itself.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-buying-bioware-pandemic-for-860m/1100-6180818/

https://www.engadget.com/2007/10/11/ea-owns-mass-effect-so-what-now/

Like, this is just collectively known fact by the gaming community, until EA swooped in ME was going to be a 360-only trilogy because Microsoft was the publisher.

Living through the 360's run?

Mass Effect 1 was a Microsoft published game. BioWare was allowed to retain the IP. EA swooped in and bought BioWare and all their IPs, including ME1.

EA only had the publishing rights to 2 and 3, but not 1, even though they owned the IP itself.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-buying-bioware-pandemic-for-860m/1100-6180818/

https://www.engadget.com/2007/10/11/ea-owns-mass-effect-so-what-now/

Publish is not funded........You still have shown they funded the game. If they did it would have never ended up on playstation. It is not a known fact because they never funded ME at all.

Again, witcher 2 was also published by MS....they never funded it, same with ME. There is a difference.

rakanishu

Banned
As a PC gamer, you should install something called Chrome, Firefox, or use the built-in browser (you have to click the Windows key, and type 'Edge' to open it), and google it (type in www.google.com in the 'address' field of your chosen browser, following the steps above).

Type 'Xbox indie parity clause' into the search field and click 'enter'. Then, select any of the 8,800 results that appear.

Yeah. I should know to type "Xbox indie parity clause" into google whenever someone says "parity". Come on. Don't be an asshole. It's normal discussion etiquette to provide a source when you make a claim.

Yeah. I should know to type "Xbox indie parity clause" into google whenever someone says "parity". Come on. Don't be an asshole. It's normal discussion etiquette to provide a source when you make a claim.

"Xbox parity" would be enough. We're talking Xbox and parity. Tough to figure out that search requirement.

FyreWulff

Publish is not funded........You still have shown they funded the game. If they did it would have never ended up on playstation.

Sigh.

Companies can buy out publishing rights or wait for them to expire.

Just like Lego City Undercover, which was funded by Nintendo, is now going to release on PS4 and the One.

Just like how Nintendo funded Banjo Kazooie, Tooie, and Perfect Dark, and now all 3 of them are on the Xbox 360.

Just like how Sony owned Psygnosis but they still released Wipeout on the N64, even though all the employees were on Sony payroll.

Sigh.

Companies can buy out publishing rights or wait for them to expire.

Just like Lego City Undercover, which was funded by Nintendo, is now going to release on PS4 and the One.

Just like how Nintendo funded Banjo Kazooie, Tooie, and Perfect Dark, and now all 3 of them are on the Xbox 360.

What does that have to do with anything, again publishing a third party game <> funded. Sony published NMS but didn't fund it. MS published withcer 2, never funded it, same with ME, Bioware funded and developed ME.

leeh

A multibillion dollar global conglomerate might be used to treating contract negotiations like war, and send their best and trickiest lawyers to try and fuck over the other party as much as possible as a pre-emptive strike assuming the other party is trying to do the same.

But its hard to believe thats how a 2 man indie team are approaching things when they're thinking "cool, I get to release my game on console!"
What? It's just agreeing on principles that both parties are happy with and then sticking to them. It's your own fault if you don't.

This isn't done by lawyers, just read over and binded by them, this is done by the leads of each department. MS will have standardised templates for this and then just adjust specifics based on clients needs & requirements.

If you can't stick to something you agree too or don't properly consider something, it's your own fault. Simple as.

It doesn't matter if you're a large company or a small company.

Top Bottom