• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft mismanagement ofthird party partnerships leaving developers in a bad state?

Meffer

Didn't Gaffer from Moon studio talk about how easy to work with MS as a publisher?
I don't think this is a widespread issue for MS publishing. Maybe those projects listed in the op just unfortunate casualty of 2013 PR disaster.
Maybe MS was in panic mode during that period, head of Xbox stepping down, everything go against them and they need games, games games to turn around bad image.
So they green light projects in quick succession without taking time to evaluate the projects.
On any given time, those project might not get approve or dead before announcement, like usual game business.

Sounds like they did a shit job then.

SkyOdin

Their lawyers couldn't recognize that there was a massive hole for scope creep? They hired lawyers that specialize in contract software development correct? I mean contractual scope creep isn't anything new. I mean scope creep isn't a new term.

I have a hard time believing that MS could all of a sudden demand that a single player campaign be included into the existing contract unless the contract was absolutely terribly written and subsequently agreed upon. MS are complete assholes for taking advantage of said contract if that's indeed how it played out, but damn...
What power do small, relatively unknown developers have when negotiating with major publishers? It could simply be that they didn't have the clout to get a better contract, even if they wanted it. If MS said no to a better deal, the dev would be out an entire game deal, while MS could just move on to find a new developer. A large dev like Activision or Ubisoft can negotiate terms like that, but not small unknowns.

Pennywise

The original plan was for Darkside to finish the vertical slice by December, but after some struggles, they convinced Microsoft to extend the deadline to January. One particularly strange moment for Darkside happened around then, when Microsoft’s Ken Lobb said on a podcast that Phantom Dust would be “about a 30-hour JRPG.” The developers were baffled. That was never part of their plan. “Nobody knew he was gonna say that,” said one Darkside staffer. “We were told by people at Microsoft that Ken just does things like that.”

Fucking incredible.

I guess someone at MS finally realized that Phantom Dust and Scalebound were only going to sell about 10,000 copies each. It's too bad they couldn't figure that out a little earlier in the process.

Seeing as Platinum has been pumping out games at a high rate, it certainly lends some leeway to the rumors/heresay.. Not all their games are great but the games they get the budget and time to work on seem to all be good and on time.

Defuser

From what I assume is if Microsoft owns the IP, there is a good chance they will interfere. I maybe wrong but it sure looks like it.

robotrock

Banned
So you've been holding back then? Good god.

I don't know what you're trying to say. Are you assuming fanboyism is coming into play here or something?

Since the news of Scalebound's cancellation broke, and several tweets arose from reputable sources suggesting that Microsoft was up to some sketchy stuff here, I've been posting fairly skeptical stuff towards Microsoft in both the Scalebound cancellation thread and this one.

watership

Seeing as Platinum has been pumping out games at a high rate, it certainly lends some leeway to the rumors/heresay.. Not all their games are great but the games they get the budget and time to work on seem to all be good and on time.

So MS meddled and ruined this game? I don't get where games like Forza Horizon can be one of the most polished 3rd Party games, and that's because of Playground games. Yet when a game gets cancelled, it's Microsoft's missmanagment. This is the almost always the case in GAF debates. Games are good in spite of Microsodf, games are bad/cancelled becuase of Microsoft.

Pennywise

So MS meddled and ruined this game? I don't get where games like Forza Horizon can be one of the most polished 3rd Party games, and that's because of Playground games. Yet when a game gets cancelled, it's Microsoft's missmanagment. This is the almost always the case in GAF debates. Games are good in spite of Microsodf, games are bad/cancelled becuase of Microsoft.

Not really a great comparsion, especially when you got a franchise that's selling like Forza does and is PROVEN compared to a new IP from a studio like Platinum.
Of course MS will gladly pour resources into a sucessful IP like Forza.

We don't exactly know what happened with Scalebound, unless we get more details. However, there are some indicators that MS handled the situation rather shitty and this isn't the first time as you can see with the things in OP.

That doesn't mean MS is completely unable to handle things, there have been plenty of suceess stories and some partnerships turned out rather well, but let's not pretend that everything is fine.

adversarial

I don't get where games like Forza Horizon can be one of the most polished 3rd Party games, and that's because of Playground games. Yet when a game gets cancelled, it's Microsoft's missmanagment.

Why is this not possible?

Forza is a tried-and-true money maker for Microsoft. Scale is unproven.

Terrell

i think this extends to rare, and actually it's weird that the studio wasn't closed years ago based on the stories of half-finished projects and microsoft not knowing what to do with the studio. they seem like a really shitty partner who doesn't really get that sometimes big changes can't be made within budgets and time frames.

Rare might be the, uh, rare studio that has enough cultural penetration to where MS would probably never fully go through with shuttering them.

Yeah, the optics of shutting Rare down would be abysmal, even today, knowing what we know about what's actually left of them.

Fucking incredible.

Yeah, gotta love those venerated NoA veterans, huh?

No, your posts in the past half hour seem more like you have some sort of vendetta against microsoft. Hell, you linked this thread before it even had a single response.

Guy is on my friends list playing on his x1 all the time, so I doubt that's the case. Seemed disappointed about the Scalebound thing for sure though.

Cant see MS changing at this point not that they have been doing anything really crazy. Guess not supporting Xbox and complaining about them on the internet is what a lot of people are stuck with

Instro

Didn't Microsoft fuck over Level 5 as well? Or am I misremembering.

Yes, hence their unwillingness to ever work with MS again. MS has a long history of this sort of shit. Whether it's mismanagement, or corporate decisions to tank projects to get out of a contract early, they have a history that stretches back throughout their time as a game publisher/hardware maker. That doesn't even touch on how many first party studios, and others, they ran into the ground over the years.

Thinking about the third party games that have been released recently (FH3, DR4, Recore) it makes me think are these 3rd party games being produced on time and of quality and MS just canceling them for now reason?

D3VI0US

The point here is it was MS who did the mishandling.

How so? By canceling a first party game they were funding? It's a shitty situation but I wouldn't call it mishandling, maybe risk aversion, fiscally conservative, I dunno.

I mean look at the Mighty No 9, who mishandled that situation? Inticreates is a great developer but not this time, Inafune not a creator but he is a business man, Kickstarter backers aren't buying a product it's more like a patronage/donation/gamble.

Listen I'm not an MS apologist, their first party output is meager and I don't think they wanted to cancel this game as this is a huge blow for their 2017 lineup considering how few exclusives they had. As an Xbox one owner the only exclusive game I am stoked about is Cuphead, that's really where they are mismanaging in my opinion because those games are constantly delayed and there aren't enough Super Time Force, Below, Ori, and Inside caliber games.

Granted they need to make big AAA bets but they need to make more small bets too. It sounds like 3rd parties think its easier and like working with Sony so MS need to work extra hard to get them back. That's why this isn't good, it's a viscous cycle that I would have hoped flipped under Spencer's leadership but we're just not seeing the investment in games. That raises serious doubts for me about the Xbox platform and their future.

As far as mismanagement goes maybe it's just Microsoft being Microsoft. I mean thinking about all the initiatives they have going on right now, like UWP and merging Xbox and Windows just reminds me of GFWL and the sad tale of Skulls of the Shogun.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Then we have the infamous Phantom Dust debacle. I'll just leave some choice quotes here:

Let's not forget that MS had plans to released the original Phantom Dust in the west THEMSELVES after they published it first-party in Japan. Only to pull out at the 11th hour and have Majestco publish it for fans.

MS simply have no clue what the hell they're doing in regards to new IP's and haven't since J. Allard and the original X-box crew left. Hence, FASA closing, MS Flight Sim closing, et. al. closing and losing the little Japan support they had.

Branduil

I don't understand why any third party would partner with MS after this. Any money they offer couldn't be worth the risk that they're about to screw you into the ground.

Net

If this does lead to major layoffs at Platinum and maybe even the eventual closing of the studio, Microsoft will have a lot to answer for.

GHG

They've also managed to piss off Remedy this gen as well.

There will come a point where they have fallen out with so many people across the industry that nobody will want to work with them on a project.

btrboyev

Heaven forbid maybe the game just wasn't working and sucked? Platinum isn't perfect. They have put out some shitty games.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

There will come a point where they have fallen out with so many people across the industry that nobody will want to work with them on a project.

What? Something With DX 12 I'm guessing? Hadn't heard this.

FuturusX

Until they see the bags of money and promises..and the cycle continues on again.

FyreWulff

Their lawyers couldn't recognize that there was a massive hole for scope creep? They hired lawyers that specialize in contract software development correct? I mean contractual scope creep isn't anything new. I mean scope creep isn't a new term.

I have a hard time believing that MS could all of a sudden demand that a single player campaign be included into the existing contract unless the contract was absolutely terribly written and subsequently agreed upon. MS are complete assholes for taking advantage of said contract if that's indeed how it played out, but damn...

Poison pills in publisher contracts are standard. Unfortunately pubs also intentionally market and get gamers to blame the dev.

The funny thing is people that run sites like Steamspy think they're helping when they're giving the big publishers even MORE leverage over developers. Because publishers will always obfuscate or straight up never share numbers, while if you're a small dev all your numbers are supplied to the publisher under the guise of whatever purpose sites like SS think they're filling, which is none.

This isn't unique with Microsoft.

Sony did the same thing with SSM's Stig-directed new IP laying off a bunch of their talent, also with Playstation All Stars Battle Royale causing SuperBot Entertainment to leave the console industry, among many other instances.

The industry is more brutal than it used to be.

I wasn't aware of the details surrounding those other games' cancellations. It's crazy to me that a company could be as unprofessional as those stories seem to suggest. I would expect better from them.

Not saying this isn't crappy behavior, but this is not strange for a developer/publisher relationship.

Developers are typically absolutely beholden to their publisher, to the point where saying no and risking the deal in place, is like deciding to close your company. So you suck it up and do your best to keep going. Ideally, the request from the publisher isn't as ridiculous as "add SP to an MP game for the same budget".
It comes down to the person(s) that you're dealing with for how smoothly your project will go. Hopefully, MS is cancelling their managements employment in cases like Phantom Dust.

Yes, hence their unwillingness to ever work with MS again. MS has a long history of this sort of shit. Whether it's mismanagement, or corporate decisions to tank projects to get out of a contract early, they have a history that stretches back throughout their time as a game publisher/hardware maker. That doesn't even touch on how many first party studios, and others, they ran into the ground over the years.

Was it True Fantasy Live Online?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
If all this is true, especially with Platinum...MS is dangerously close to following in the footsteps of Nintendo and 3rd party relations.

It would be amazing if Nintendo does good with 3rd party relations with the Switch and MS starts to become Nintendo.

Didn't Microsoft fuck over Level 5 as well? Or am I misremembering.

not the same situation, not even in the same league. IIRC 5 and Atlus took advantage of MS in the early OG XBOX days, they took the money and run.

Christ these kind of threads, we don't know anything for real besides the cancellation of Scalebound, we don't know the reasons, I don't think it's fair to blame MS for whatever happened with this without having factual pieces of information.

As other gaffers have already stated, unfortunately some games we get cancelled, some get cancelled during the early stages of development, others close to the final stages, and some others get resurrected (Rime), it's part of the industry.

What really upsets me is the way some people take this as something only MS do, and to some exent, some even take it like a personal attack, while they know nothing, but their bias leads them to pull the trigger so easily.

After this debacle, it's obvious MS should focus in their 3rd party relationship, they have to streghten them, this situation isn't good for any company.

RibMan

Not every partnership end sour, there are success stories like Playground Games, Moon studio and Iron Galaxy, MS help put them in the map.
Shit happens I guess.

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-late-on-paying-xbox-indie-developers-agai-1666323327

I understand what you're getting at, but at a certain point, you're going to stop making excuses for them and notice a pattern in how they treat developers.

This isn't an Xbox problem; it's a Microsoft problem. Microsoft is a company with a well-documented history of mistreating partners and developers. There is not a single company that hasn't made a mistake in a partnership or in an external relationship. However, when your company is the King Kong of anti-competition and strategic destruction of others, it becomes evident that doing business together is a special risk. The bad kind of special.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Funny how in most peoples' minds, Microsoft is at fault.... little to no admission of a relationship and the related dynamics that could lead to conflict.... human nature my friends... I find it hard to take anyone's speculation, from a "credible" source as the truth.

While I'd normally agree, in THIS particular case, it's hard to argue that this isn't pretty much all on Microsoft.

If Platinum's reputation was similar to Kojima's I could understand and even most of GAF would be iffy on who to blame were he involved. But Platinum is literally THE studio the big publishers go to to pump out a decent quality action game in a hurry and within a shoestring budget. More often than not, 2 + 2 generally equals 4.

Top Bottom