• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft officially pulls DRM from Xbox One, announces new policies

Kyon

Banned
Isn't that because the 360 is easier to develop for?

How much more powerful is the Xbox One compared to the PS4?

Sorry if these questions are off-topic.

its not. PS4 is 50% more powerful and X1 is 33% less powerful. I believe people were saying a good comparison was OG Xbox vs PS2?

Also now that both are easy to develop for the one with better specs will be the clear winner: PS4

PS3 had the Cell too which was hard and expensive to develop for too

Minions

System setup, not game setup.
I assume you do it one time after you first turn on the console and then never have to worry about it again.

So are there game installs to hard drive or not? If so, then what stops me from trading this disc in after I install it to my hard drive? Is it going to do a disc check every time you launch the game? They were not clear in their wording, so I will hold my judgment until they clarify or until after launch. The fact that they can't confirm they wont change their policy after people buy the console is enough to keep me away. Sony has already come out and said they won't be changing it.

I still don't see why he would say "one time setup" if it had nothing to do with internet.... considering they always had a one time setup for every game in existence for a couple generations.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The fact that they would try and pull this shit in the first place and only an unprecedented fan base outcry made them change their minds.

The recent about-face is nothing to praise Microsoft for! There is no Sony fan boy driven plot to turn people against the Xbox.

Microsoft made this situation.
Microsoft deserves every ounce of hate their getting
Microsoft is bad for the Video game industry
And in my opinion the Xbox 1 deserves to fail.
I feel like Sony and MS keep each other honest. I could see Sony trying to pull the same thing if they thought they had the clout.

Thank god.

Still going with PS4 at launch but the X1 should have a good library of exclusives by the time the price drops and I won't have any qualms picking one up then.

Is this REALLY any better other than the notion that you don't have to check in. What's the difference really? Being able to share discs is good, and should be a given but losing the family sharing is a bit of a hit. Can't have it all.

You never had family sharing. It was a last minute, last ditch effort to save face that didn't work and thy we're forced to backtrack. That's why it was hard to explain and the story slightly changed every time the talked about it. The whole situation is a complete embarrassment for MS.

Sony is maintaining the status quo for the most part (don't forget that you've gotta pay for online now!) and they are getting praised like nothing else by many.

It's bullshit.

Yep, MS are tightwads, yep they fucked up but now they've changed their stance and while I don't think that puts them on the same level as Sony in terms of how much they should get praised I definitely think it puts them closer and they should at least be given credit for making the change.

Tell you what. As soon at Microsoft stop putting media app behind pay walls. As soon at Xbox Live is a fraction of the value PS+ is. As soon as Sony mounts and out right attack on my right to own the fucking game I bought. As soon at Microsoft doesn't put free to play games behind a Gold account.

I MIGHT start putting Sony on the same level as the money grubbing anti-consumer fuck wads Microsoft. But as of right now their on my personal list of companies that will never see a fucking dime of my money.

Papa John's Pizza, Chick-fila, Apple, and Verizon are also on my list.

statham

Preordering Xbox one now. That awesome game lineup and controller :)

Gold is starting to sound like a better service ad well. Dedicated severs, free games you can keep. Not to mention, it'll probably run better and smoother since MS is a software company
dedicated servers!

jergrah

I wish MS stood by their vision.

I hate GameStop, so am for any plan that puts that shithole out of business. I think I've been without Internet for a combined 8 hours total (if that) over the past 15 years -- so the 24 hour check in didn't bother me. I was excited about the Family Game Sharing option. I don't think I bought 1 used game this generation.

I'm still buying both, as I was all along. I just really wish MS stood by the vision they saw for the future and ran with it. Maybe it would've sucked, maybe it would've been great -- we'll never know.

Minions

So we are basically back to square one... we don't know what stays with the policies announced at E3. (Family plan, the one where u can have multiple people play under you and not have to pay for extra xbox gold etc). I guess we'll have to wait for more details to come out. They axed the sharing plan, who knows what they are doing with the family plan.

NIGHT-

Tell you what. As soon at Microsoft stop putting media app behind pay walls. As soon at Xbox Live is a fraction of the value PS+ is. As soon as Sony mounts and out right attack on my right to own the fucking game I bought. As soon at Microsoft doesn't put free to play games behind a Gold account.

I MIGHT start putting Sony on the same level as the money grubbing anti-consumer fuck wads Microsoft. But as of right now their on my personal list of companies that will never see a fucking dime of my money.

Deviated severs alone will make gold a better value than plus.

mujun

I didn't say to put them on the same level. That was the whole point.

Sony isn't 100 and MS isn't 0 as many are trying to argue. Straight up agenda driven.

lachesis

had horribly busy day at work, and first time surfing on internet today... and this has been the best news of the day, by far!

Well, I did reserve PS4 for launch. I'll get PS4 first and see how it goes. I think when Xbone hits 399 mark, I'll probably grab one, or perhaps for 2014 holiday season.

Either way, I think my main console for this year would be PS3 and PC - and catching up with some Wii/GC/PSP library - but PS4 would be my icing on the cake. Xbone, will probably be the next years icing on the cake, and Wii U being, maybe a small bonus...

PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One. You have it mixed up.

The reason it was easier to develop multiplatform games on the 360 than on PS3 was just that the 360 was more like a PC than anything. PS3 had a different infrastructure that made it a bit difficult to port games.

That's why so many games were made on the 360 and ported over and why so many of those 'ports' looked shit. I think we will the opposite now; games being made on the ps4 and then ported over.

Darknight

I wish MS stood by their vision.

I hate GameStop, so am for any plan that puts that shithole out of business. I think I've been without Internet for a combined 8 hours total (if that) over the past 15 years -- so the 24 hour check in didn't bother me. I was excited about the Family Game Sharing option. I don't think I bought 1 used game this generation.

I'm still buying both, as I was all along. I just really wish MS stood by the vision they saw for the future and ran with it. Maybe it would've sucked, maybe it would've been great -- we'll never know.

Wasnt Gamestop gonna be the ones that you could only go to sell your XB1 games back if XB180 DRM was still kicking? And If I were an Xbox loyalist, I'd be sad if MS went this way as it would mean less sales and a bumpy future. Not only for them but its gamers.

I think they made the right choice. Also the Family Plan was still up in the air and it could of been a gimped system from the get go so nothing was really lost here. (based on the rumors and the horrid PR info being said left and right)

This is a real fucking bummer for me. I don't buy or sell used games. My console is always connected to the Internet already.

I really liked the idea of never having to get up again when I wanted to play something else. Most of my friend's live hours away so the family plan sounded like a great idea for me. This just really sucks.

Exactly. I mean I don't buy used games, I don't sell my games. Im always online. i dont think there is a room in my house that doesnt have something that is online.

Everyone on here is probably online all the time. If they have something that connects to the Internet I bet it's connected weather it be a 3ds or mobile phone.

What bugs me about this is so many people holler about how they want to support the developers, etc. yet they want to buy used games. So now we get to buy used games and lose out on some nice features.

Looks like we got to go digital this gen man lol. Sucks for if they release a nice special edition though that we would want.

Krowley

i don't really understand why anyone would want to support them now as opposed to before.

sure, its good that they decided to not have those restrictions, but what made them come to that decision in the first place? it seems like they've already developed that box with the DRM in mind, and if they change their mind again it'll probably be easy for them to just do it.

if they offer a console without kinect, then it just seems like Microsoft has no direction in their product. It's one thing to redact something that there is a lot of resistance to, but its another to just change your business model.

to me, Microsoft is in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. also, anyone who is willing to support Microsoft now when they didn't before is hypocritical.

as an aside, i really didnt see this coming.

I disagree with the bolded.

I see boycotts as a carrot and stick thing.

The stick: I won't buy your product while the policy i disagree with is in place.

The Carrot: If you change the policy, I will reconsider, and may buy your product in the future.

Without the carrot there is no incentive for companies to change. If there's no hope to win customers back, why bother?

So for me personally, the xbox one is back on my radar now. It's not likely that I will buy it soon--there are too many other problems from my perspective--but I may buy it someday.

And for some people, it may have exclusive games or other features that make it more desirable than PS4 or Wii U. For example, if you're a Halo fan, that alone might be enough to make Xbone a more desirable console.

There is ample reason not to trust MS in the future, and that would be a fair reason not to purchase their products, but personally, I don't think we're going to be hearing anything else about DRM on game consoles for a very long time. Companies don't do this kind of massive about-face unless they see the writing on the wall, and that writing isn't going to change any time soon.

If they don't like what happened in the last few weeks, the potential reaction to another switch after the console is in homes should really terrify them.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I kinda wish they had waited till after Gamescom to announce this. The rumor that Cboat had was that there were more DRM related announcements to come at Gamescom, and the buzz from BruceLeeRoy was that it would require XBL Gold for the Xbox One, and would tie all your games to the Gold account so that if you ever un-subbed from them, you'd lose your games until you resubscribed.

But now, I guess we'll never know.

79ebead889dbfc41ca7fdccdc003a90a-don-mattricks-first-draft-of-the-xbox-one-update-announcement.jpg

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
It's starting to hit me: what happened today is just fucking insane. A moment for the ages.

Jomjom

Banned
Exactly. I mean I don't buy used games, I don't sell my games. Im always online. i dont think there is a room in my house that doesnt have something that is online.

Everyone on here is probably online all the time. If they have something that connects to the Internet I bet it's connected weather it be a 3ds or mobile phone.

What bugs me about this is so many people holler about how they want to support the developers, etc. yet they want to buy used games. So now we get to buy used games and lose out on some nice features.

Looks like we got to go digital this gen man lol. Sucks for if they release a nice special edition though that we would want.

Have you ever allowed for the possibility that maybe someone needs to sell their used games in order to support these developers by buying new games? You probably have but let me guess #dealwithit right?

Klocker

MS defense force is in full swing today. Lol

at least things are back to normal around here. the MS haters really always hated MS anyway regardless of their policies/ But now people who actually ARE interested in One with this reversal can talk about it again and be interested like normal

Natural

I'm happy they've changed their policies, though I'm still unsure if I'll bother get one over a PS4 come next year. £429 is ridiculous, no way will I be paying that.

Ovid

PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One. You have it mixed up.

The reason it was easier to develop multiplatform games on the 360 than on PS3 was just that the 360 was more like a PC than anything. PS3 had a different infrastructure that made it a bit difficult to port games.
Yeah, I meant to say PS4, sorry about that.

Yes, the 360 is easier to develop for, which was a huge factor in 360 titles outperforming the PS3. It also had a better GPU, while the PS3 had a very powerful but complex CPU.

This time around the PS4 is more powerful and easier to develop for compared w/the Xbone.
Oh okay. So it's basically the reverse of last gen.

at least things are back to normal around here. the MS haters really always hated MS anyway regardless of their policies/ But now people who actually ARE interested in One with this reversal can talk about it again and be interested like normal

If you really think it this simple then..... I just don't know what to say to you.

Halo™ is just one of the many exciting IPs that Microsoft® is building for the Xbox One Console®©™

Tbh gamers come in all shapes and sizes. I like live sport (Chelsea fc season ticket holder) and tv and if the upcoming halo tv series is anything like forward unto dawn ill really enjoy it. Just because some of those features don't interest you doesn't mean others might not use them and doesn't make them less of a gamer.

NIGHT-

How do we know that PSN will not have dedicated servers? Many first party Sony games had dedicated servers this gen.

Until they confirm it we're just gonna assume they don't. Most of the first party games that did, were early this gen. Sony has slacked off since.

Jhriad

The recent about-face is nothing to praise Microsoft for!

While I don't think we should praise them for it I think we can all recognize that they did the right thing and appreciate that fact. That said they've burned any trust I had in them as a platform holder. In a few years when the price has gone down and I see ample justification to buy their console the only games I'll buy on their box are first party exclusives. I have no interest in getting entangled in an ecosystem that they control.

Don't praise them but be glad that the folks that will be buying their box aren't going to get screwed as terribly.

zashga

Good. The status quo is far more appealing than the vision Xbox One was pushing. I hope we keep rejecting the corporate line that "all digital" is the future and we should all be prepared to give up our basic property rights to embrace it.

iwb

Banned
Download history.

Maybe, but the 360 reads my ripped games as equivalent to the games on demand. In other words, I can't download the same game if it's already installed (not saying I would do that any way). I imagine that the X1 would work in a similar manner.

shinnn

Nice. So people can now rage about paying for live, lack of exclusives and being weak and not capable of 1080p and 60 fps.

Jarlaxle

Have you ever allowed for the possibility that maybe someone needs to sell their used games in order to support these developers by buying new games? You probably have but let me guess #dealwithit right?

Wait. Let me get this straight. Someone caring more about their own situation than yours is now something to ridicule? GTFO

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I disagree with the bolded.

I see boycotts as a carrot and stick thing.

The stick: I won't buy your product while the policy i disagree with is in place.

The Carrot: If you change the policy, I will reconsider, and may buy your product in the future.

Without the carrot there is no incentive for companies to change. If there's no hope to win customers back, why bother?

The incentive is not losing more people, especially people who haven't even heard about what's going on yet.
And some of my boycotts are definitely of the "You fucked up and you're never getting my money again no matter what you do. Just wanted to let you know." variety. Papa John's is one of those.

Blu10

Of course there is. You probably need to sit down and think about it and stop telling me to.

How about this.

Want to share a game digitally? When you send it to you friend you have an online check.
I mean no one here thinks you will be able to do that without an online connection. It's not fucking magic.

I doubt anyone here would complain that there as a one-time check ONLY WHEN using such a feature(Selling, sharing, etc.)

The problem came because they were putting restrictions on top of playing a physical game offline in your own goddamn house on hardware that your purchased.

Now since you have obviously thought this through so well, tell me exactly how a 24hr check for physical disc copies of a game is absolutely necessary for digital game sharing.

Now I will admit that making the system more lenient will cause workarounds and other problems which would need to be handled. However it is not an all or nothing situation and you are just naive to think so.

Sweet, now I've shared it... Did I sell it the next day. Was it pirated, and now the original console gone offline...what happens to that license.

I do this for a living... It's my job. I have thought about this.

I think we've been set back 5 years...or there about. Honestly I hope they dangle the carrot. Let some opt into it, god knows I would.

Top Bottom