• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft officially pulls DRM from Xbox One, announces new policies

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
when exactly are those 300,000 servers going into effect...

qjfpkN7.jpg

i guess now that they dont require always on they can just keep getting away with shotty servers

and this isnt a one time case, ive noticed it quite a bit over the last few months either straight up sign in issues or the Xbox.com site not working at all with error pages or "technical difficulties"

People thought being on line once in 24 hours was to help out consumers but really they were just setting themselves an achievable target.

You can do that on the 360 now. I took a flash drive with retail games like l4d2 on it to a friends house and played on their 360.

Wait, so I could, like, move the files from my downloaded Trouble in Paradise file onto a usb stick and then play it on a friends 360 from that stick? How did I not know this already?

when exactly are those 300,000 servers going into effect...

qjfpkN7.jpg

i guess now that they dont require always on they can just keep getting away with shotty servers

and this isnt a one time case, ive noticed it quite a bit over the last few months either straight up sign in issues or the Xbox.com site not working at all with error pages or "technical difficulties"
I think you get to complain about xbox live uptime after it goes down for two whole months like Playstation did.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
How can anyone in their right mind trust Microsoft with the Xbox anymore even with this announcement? They have proven to not be for the consumer. They folded under pressure after seeing the destruction that's already been done so far away from release, they had no choice, it was gonna get worse for them.

They dealt their hand and got exposed.
I see them more as the crazy homeless guy who takes a shit on your front porch, and acts like an indignant asshole when you freak out...but as soon as you call the cops, he completely changes his tune.

HoodWinked

But you needed the disc, right?

Well before the change everything was DD, the disc was just the game installation and you would never need it again after you done that. Now the disc is oldschool annoyance ;)

no you only need to be logged into your live account so that it can verify ownership.

Saying "ms might put the DRM back in later" is as bad as the people saying "ms might make games cheaper due to DRM"

But here's the thing, MS couldn't put the exact same policies back even if they wanted to for physical copies. Retail copies no longer get activated to your account.

They now have the exact same policy as the PS4 does. Them putting the original DRM plan back in place is no more possible than Sony doing this on the PS4. Yes, MS clearly had the intentions to do so, but with the way the system is now setup, they really can't. For digital copies, that could be a different story, but for physical discs you really don't have anything to worry about.

Zyae

This is correct. It was Microsoft's only option to save their profits. It won't make them seem respectable, because either way you look at it, it seems that they either are going where the money is or just emulating Sony.

Sony isnt concerned for you either.

I am glad that finally they realised that they completely fucked things up.

Some people thing this was down to the gamers alone. I have feeling that this was a combined effort from the publishers probably turning to Microsoft and saying that they will pull exclusivity due to dire pre order sales. Also that game and gamestop also where pushing PS4 in store.

mr_nothin

Banned
I think you get to complain about xbox live uptime after it goes down for two whole months like Playstation did.

Well, PSN was free then and Xbox Live wasnt so that's a bit of a factor too...if you want to go that route.

Sony isnt concerned for you either.

We ALL know that they are doing it to suit what's best for them. It's all about perception. One company announced a BS anti-consumer policy and tried to convince us that it was good....the other simply didnt.

mbmonk

Jesus christ people, there was nothing forward thinking about MS's plan. Valve did it in 2004 wth Steam and Half-Life 2. MS dropped the ball in the same way Valve did back then, by basically forcing the use of this new system before the benefits had been made abundantly clear. In Valve's case, they were saved by the fact that it was just one game (Half-Life 2), and that game happened to be amazing enough that people were willing to jump through hoops to play it. Also, Valve wasn't weighed down by a decades long reputation of being an anti-consumer greedy corporation. MS needed to show people the value of an all digital library before arbitrarily forcing it on their users. They failed to do that and have now paid the price.

agreed. valve also backed off its terrible policy of having to be online while playing a single player game.

eival

Sony wasnt charging for their network at that point in time.

MS is and always has been and recently gloated about their network infrastructure.

they dont hide the fact they're heavily invested on the US market so being within that market and near the main Level3 infrastructure and on fios theres no reason i should ever have any issues, especially that pertain to actually signing in or just accessing main account info.

i dont even use any of the apps they have which might have even more frequent issues but that i never notice, but those issues could be tied to the app's data provider itself(live game feed, ect..)

xbox.com and xbl is microsoft it should as stable

Google has estimates of about 1 million servers as of a year ago, MS just said a few weeks ago they got 1/3 that many for far less traffic and a premium price, i dont think its much to ask for 100% up time. or "99.9%" which is the most any dedicated server promises but these issues have been noticable way too often to fall in that range compared to the years prior.

and they arent exactly up front with the issues either which is another problem, and more times than not their status page doesnt reflect any issue till you tweet their support accounts or post on their forums and then they'll put some generic "we got reports and were gonna look into it" which tells me it its not based on maintenance, i think the last actual announcement of maintenance was back in 2007/08 era when Major Nelson would post on his blog that "Tuesday you might lose connection between these hours while we work on stuff"

if they moving things around for preparation of the new console launch...TELL US, otherwise im gonna assume its based on less than friendly situations occurring.

Cwarrior

Today marks the day consumers fought back and won for there consumer rights, oh a great day it is.

I thank everyone who didn't bend over and just take it.

Steam works on any PC, you can change PC, upgrade PC with different parts. It's a PC

Xbox ONE is a console and not a PC. Applying DRM onto a console is not cool because the console will die in a few years.

Then, the next console. Will it have Backward Comparability with all the DRM games you purchased? Maybe not

so DRM sucks balls on console. There is no guarantee that the next console will be backward compatible. Your games die with your console

stop comparing it to Steam!!!!

Krabardaf

I'm so impressed by this news. Haven't been on the net since ~a day. A friend told me an hour ago. I couldn't believe my ears.

I don't know if it's for better or worse, future wise, but I totally admit that GAF and the net proved me wrong, you were right to protest for your thoughts and it works. Kudos.

Historic moment in gaming, no doubts.

Personally I have mixed feeling about this, I don't think their new policies would have impacted my way of gaming negatively. But I have no way of knowing exactly what I'm loosing, since the infrastructure did not even got its chance. Must be hard for Microsoft, but ultimately this should help the sales. At least at launch.

Steam works on any PC, you can change PC, upgrade PC with different parts. It's a PC

Xbox ONE is a console and not a PC. Applying DRM onto a console is not cool because the console will die in a few years.

Then, the next console. Will it have Backward Comparability with all the DRM games you purchased? Maybe not

so DRM sucks balls on console. There is no guarantee that the next console will be backward compatible. Your games die with your console

stop comparing it to Steam!!!!

This is somewhat true, but PC architecture aren't eternal either, and in 10+ years, some Steam games will likely be broken unless fixed. Some already have more or less serious issues (Sim City 4 has no native wide screen option for example ). Theses games might at that point be removed from sales, but you will still be screwed if you own it.
Really, I don't think a Steam like policy is impossible on a console, but Microsoft should have addressed what would happen after the One becomes replaced. They could have disabled the online chek-in two years after the release of the following Xbox for example.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Why does he need to justify his preference?

i dont understand the point of your post. isn't all of video gaming just a bunch of preferences? why is anyone justifying anything to anyone about anything

if he's not here to discuss his "preferences" then he has no reason to post...

abadguy

Banned
This is correct. It was Microsoft's only option to save their profits. It won't make them seem respectable, because either way you look at it, it seems that they either are going where the money is or just emulating Sony.

Honestly couldn't give less of a shit why they did it, just that they did it. People got what they wanted and that's all that matters. Of course MS is going to change their tune when their policies start fucking with the bottom line, they are a business. (Though i didn't expect them to change up so soon, it was pretty smart of them to do so now.)

This is somewhat true, but PC architecture aren't eternal either, and in 10+ years, some Steam games will likely be broken unless fixed. Some already have more or less serious issues (Sim City 4 has no native wide screen option for example ). Theses games might at that point be removed from sales, but you will still be screwed if you own it.

With PC you always have the option of running a Virtual vintage PC with non-conflicting OS & drivers. It's like eternal Backwards Compatibility, provided you know what you're doing.

Jhriad

As if Sony's decision was based on your rights as a consumer lol.
It is all business man.

Of course but one of the two has already tried to fuck us over whereas the other has yet to. Why should I suddenly become supportive of Microsoft now just because they realized late how poorly thought out their approach was? After RROD including 2 years denying there was an issue, Wifi dongles, proprietary hard drives, an unacceptably difficult Xbox Live cancellation process, Kinectapalooza 2011-13 (and the related drought of core first party titles), forcing a publisher on indies, and the recent Xbone fiasco why should I jump back into their ecosystem? If someone spends years treating you with disdain including a slap here and there and then threatens to really give you a whooping only to withdraw the statement hastily as you walk out the door you don't walk back inside.As rocky as my relationship with Nintendo, Sony, and even PC gaming has been on occasion at least it's balanced out by a history of good times as well.

Digital is the future but they've got to ease us into it. Steam got us into the sack over a long period of time. Sure there were some bad dates early on but with persistence and a little charm they were able to seal the deal. Microsoft on the other hand just attempted what was the equivalent of a caveman conking us on the head and then dragging us back to his cave so that he could mount us. Come on Microsoft, you can do better than that. You didn't do the legwork necessary to get into these panties. Put on some smell good, take us out to dinner, and tell us we're pretty. Maybe even think about doing some manscaping. We both know you could use it. At the end of the night, if you're good enough, we'll go back to your place. While I'm in the bathroom "freshening up" you can put on some Barry and then we bang out right there on your living room floor. That's how this should have gone Microsoft.

Top Bottom