• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft officially pulls DRM from Xbox One, announces new policies

abundant

These features will all be dealt with as per how amazing the M$ lawyers are, M$ will apply mission creep and by mid next gen cycle drm will have crept back in. Do not fall for it.

They won't do that because they don't want to deal with the massive backlash that would follow. It's the same reason publishers don't use their own form of DRM on consoles, even though they have the ability to do it right now.

Or maybe they wanted to be Longsighted and the majority just want it to stay how it is now.

I feel this is most accurate. They went about it entirely the wrong way though, they should have provided options instead of saying this is how it will be, deal with it.

An offline option for those who don't/can't go online where the disc must always be in the drive, an optional install option for those who don't mind having all their games linked to their account and don't intend to trade games in and a third option to allow game borrowing/trading via the marketplace.

meppi

The advantages of Always Online based gaming are still going to come, it just won't come at the expense of consumer rights.

That is exactly right. We didn't lose any of the multiplayer possibilities.
If anything, we lost the ability to install games to HDD and play them without the disc.
Although if you buy digitally, you still can do just that.
Don't really see any negative points come from this for us consumers.

If they wanted, they could have just let us play offline with a disc inserted into the system and a lot of this mess would have been avoided. Well perhaps not the 2nd hand debate.
But they were adamant that that would not be an option, so here we are now.

ExReey

And we know that franchise never took off...

I'm not talking about taking off, given enough budget and marketing you can sell anything. I'm talking about it being the revolutionary phenomenal GOTY FPS alot of people think it is (or will be).

I saw the trailers and it looked... allright.

There's no reason that they still can't implement the online trading thing for digitally bought purchases.

The thing is, if they want to switch to a primarily DRM'ed, DD model, then they need to sell it to us - not force us to switch.

The DD DRM model is fine for some people - but we like to have a choice that's all.

I wouldn't even mind about DD'ed games requiring me to be online once a week or something - but I don't want to be doing that to have to play my disc games.

Biker19

Banned
I don't know why people keep thinking this. They won't do it simply because they fear the amount of backlash that would come if they did (it'd be way worse than it is now). It's the same reason why publishers don't use their own DRM, even though they have the ability to.

Maybe on the Xbox Two.

Finally, Whitten could not give any reassurance that Microsoft will not change its policies in the future.

Um, yeah. Just google that sentence. This is MS we're talking about. If they implemented DRM inside the architecture of this console, what makes you so sure that they won't implement this stuff later on down the road through firmware updates, etc.?

Cowie

I'm seeing a lot of "Why not allow people to have DRM if they want it?" but I'm not sure that really works. You'll have a mix of the types of disks out in the wild -- some have been registered to consoles and can't be resold outside of "Participating Retailers" (already a problem), while others are fair game.

And how is your Xbox going to know if the disk that was inserted has been registered? It has to go online and check, which would kill their new 'Go online once and then never again' idea. Unless MS has some tech that is letting them mark physical disks as having been installed, that won't work.

Also, if you ever install a game with the old DRM, your system would have to permanently switch to the 24 hour check-in mode. I'm sure people are fine with this, but I don't think Microsoft would be making the right choice polluting their 'Fine, we get it, no DRM' message by undermining it with 'unless you want it, then we're all on board'

see5harp

i hope they say family sharing still is a go with 3 people

Yea. Even if they only allowed one person to play a game at one time (the same as it works with physical media today), it would be a huge improvement to the way digital libraries work. Hell you can already share your music library over a network easily using iTunes. Make it opt in, online required for digital games.

I feel this is most accurate. They went about it entirely the wrong way though, they should have provided options instead of saying this is how it will be, deal with it.

An offline option for those who don't/can't go online where the disc must always be in the drive, an optional install option for those who don't mind having all their games linked to their account and don't intend to trade games in and a third option to allow game borrowing/trading via the marketplace.

I agree, forcing the issue is what really left a bad taste in my mouth. "Deal with it" felt like it was effectively Microsoft's corporate slogan after the whole Orth thing. I just hope MS learned that that's never a good thing to say to your customers, especially when those customers are as passionate about their hobby as gamers are.

And those people mourning that the "digital future" has been put on hold/ pushed back. It's likely going to arrive organically. But I still think there's plenty of people, myself included, who like to own stuff. I want to get to the end of a gen, look back and have a load of valuable stuff in the room that belongs to me, as opposed to one box and a load of licences in my persistent game library.

abundant

Um, yeah. Just google that sentence. This is MS we're talking about. If they implemented DRM inside the architecture of this console, what makes you so sure that they won't implement this stuff later on down the road through firmware updates, etc.?

The same reason why no publisher would use their own form of DRM on consoles, even though they have had the ability to do it for close to 7 years. The same reason why Sony opted out of doing the same thing. The backlash would be too big (much bigger then it is now).

If they do it, then it will easily be the dumbest decision in gaming history.

NIGHT-

Oh my lawd at some of the bile being spewed in this thread. These are all multinational corporations headed by extremely well-compensated executives. They couldn't care less about you or your brand loyalty. Don't forget that.

But Sony fights for us and loves us! Not our money :)

Revolver

They really had no choice. MS have been publicly flogged since E3 and were about to get steamrolled this fall. They may now at least stand a chance but that $100 price difference is still going to be a tough sell. Sony really has them over a barrel right now.

Very happy about this. This is how I want to see the digital future work: additional options, not additional restrictions. I'm glad that games will be available to download day one for those who want it but that I'll also be able to buy the game on a disc with no DRM aside from the disc needing to be in the drive.

The only thing that still potentially gives me pause is the one time setup thing. It makes me wonder if a decade or more down the road my Xbox One breaks and I need to buy a used one to replace it, will that one I buy be able to function? However, I'll wait to find out the details before getting worked up about it.

Lol @ the people in their tinfoil hats saying MS will bring back DRM in the MIDDLE of next-gen.

Can you imagine the backlash? It would be 10x worse than the initial backlash.

abundant

Saying "ms might put the DRM back in later" is as bad as the people saying "ms might make games cheaper due to DRM"

I think the people saying that don't realize just how huge the backlash would be. It took this amount of backlash for MS to reverse their DRM polices, if they decided to implement it later on down the road, the amount of backlash would be 10x worse, if not more.

Lol @ the people in their tinfoil hats saying MS will bring back DRM in the MIDDLE of next-gen.

Exactly me point.

Gui_PT

i'm just saying that we should not give any weight to what a pr guy says in the first place,you can't expect them to tell you the truth..we already know that all he was saying until now was utter bullshit..but it's his job..given his position he couldn't say "i'm sorry i was wrong/lying" even if he wanted to

I know what you're saying, just wanted to see what his response would be

ultron87

They'd also get super sued. (That probably isn't the legal definition.)

Gui_PT

Gamers did not win. Shortsightedness did.

Yes, games won. And you know why? Because before this, I wasn't going to be able to buy this console and play games on it. Me and millions of other people.

And now we will be able to play the games we liked seeing at E3. Because that's what consoles are for. For games.

liquidtmd

Banned
I find it funny that everyone was bashing the whole DRM thing and now that its been changed, people are slowly wanting it back. Make your minds up people lol

It is fucking weird on GAF in that respect. I'm sure in the past week I didn't see defenders of the DRM saying 'yay MS' and now they've caved there's quite a few 'boo MS' chants about.

Contrary GAF is....contrary

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I find it funny that everyone was bashing the whole DRM thing and now that its been changed, people are slowly wanting it back. Make your minds up people lol

people will probably look back at their original plan and see how forward thinking it was but for many people in 2013 it's just unworkable.

If Microsoft bring back their family plan thing but limit it to digital purchases then that could be a big win for everyone. The people who want it were probably going to buy their games online anyway and the people who want the choice of owning a disc are happy. It's the best of both worlds.

WJD

people will probably look back at their original plan and see how forward thinking it was but for many people in 2013 it's just unworkable.

If Microsoft bring back their family plan thing but limit it to digital purchases then that could be a big win for everyone. The people who want it were probably going to buy their games online anyway and the people who want the choice of owning a disc are happy. It's the best of both worlds.

Pretty much my exact sentiments. All people want is choice and options.

BeberMan

Neo Member
Oh my God this is so amazing. Thank you, I didn't want to miss out on Forza and Sunset Overdrive. So amazing gamers won.

PS4 is still my prime console now, $100 cheaper, more diverse lineup, more powerful, and they were with gamers from the start (on top of being unable to trust MS now), but Microsoft has now earned the right to be in my house again at some point this gen and I can't wait to play the games I would have missed up until that point :D

This exactly.
It takes a lot from a developer to actually back down this much because of fan reaction.
They have earned my trust and my money this gen at some point.

Regardless, the PS4 kicked ass this E3 and is a more interesting console for me.

It would have been nice if people had been this vocal about online play being stuck behind XBL Gold and DLC content.... It's probably part of the reason MS thought they could get away with it.

Crisco

Banned
Jesus christ people, there was nothing forward thinking about MS's plan. Valve did it in 2004 wth Steam and Half-Life 2. MS dropped the ball in the same way Valve did back then, by basically forcing the use of this new system before the benefits had been made abundantly clear. In Valve's case, they were saved by the fact that it was just one game (Half-Life 2), and that game happened to be amazing enough that people were willing to jump through hoops to play it. Also, Valve wasn't weighed down by a decades long reputation of being an anti-consumer greedy corporation. MS needed to show people the value of an all digital library before arbitrarily forcing it on their users. They failed to do that and have now paid the price.

They didn't change the policy because they suddenly became concerned for my rights as a consumer. They changed their policies because it was garnering widespread opposition even outside what would normally be enthusiast only crowds (for example: Jimmy Fallon). It almost certainly had an adverse effect on their preorder numbers going by the leaked numbers and the anecdotal evidence that was piling up in threads about the subject. Especially worrying given that those numbers were from markets that Microsoft dominated this generation.

This is correct. It was Microsoft's only option to save their profits. It won't make them seem respectable, because either way you look at it, it seems that they either are going where the money is or just emulating Sony.

derFeef

Do we know if you can still buy Xbox One games digitally, they get stored onto your account?
So that I can install them to an external HDD, take that to a friends house, log in with my account, and play my digitally bought games on his Xbox?

Cizard

Do we know if you can still buy Xbox One games digitally, they get stored onto your account?
So that I can install them to an external HDD, take that to a friends house, log in with my account, and play my digitally bought games on his Xbox?

That's how it works on 360 now right? I don't see why they'd get rid of that.

eival

when exactly are those 300,000 servers going into effect...

qjfpkN7.jpg

i guess now that they dont require always on they can just keep getting away with shotty servers

and this isnt a one time case, ive noticed it quite a bit over the last few months either straight up sign in issues or the Xbox.com site not working at all with error pages or "technical difficulties"

Fox Mulder

You can do that on the 360 now. I took a flash drive with retail games like l4d2 on it to a friends house and played on their 360.

Cizard

Hmm, I never bought GoD games on 360...

There won't be GoD on Xbone anymore (everything will be digital right away) I bet so even if the rules on those were different they probably won't carry over. But I have no idea if they even are! I don't think Microsoft has commented on this yet.

derFeef

You can do that on the 360 now. I took a flash drive with retail games like l4d2 on it to a friends house and played on their 360.

But you needed the disc, right?

There won't be GoD on Xbone anymore (everything will be digital right away) I bet so even if the rules on those were different they probably won't carry over. But I have no idea if they even are! I don't think Microsoft has commented on this yet.

Well before the change everything was DD, the disc was just the game installation and you would never need it again after you done that. Now the disc is oldschool annoyance ;)

Top Bottom