• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft officially pulls DRM from Xbox One, announces new policies

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I have no doubt that most of these have been or are being talked about by Microsoft, just from a due diligence standpoint. It's not too late to save the Titanic before it sinks itself. It looks like avoiding the launch shortages will be impossible due to the yield issues, but that can be made up in the long term so let's ignore that for now.

1. Drop or *fix* DRM
Either match Sony's policy step for step or do what that Thurrot dude suggested and if the disc is present and in the drive, don't require any online checks at all. The military and everyone else will thank you for it. People say it's too late to back track on this but I don't think it's too late at all. Five months from launch and almost universal criticism means both Microsoft and its partners all have plenty to lose if they don't change course.

2. Publish League of Legends and Dayz as Exclusives
Look what getting Minecraft did. Hugely popular PC games brought to the console audience is a great idea. Don't hesitate. Do it.

3. Create a Better Microsoft published Indy XBLA program
One that would make XB1 the destination for Indies as exclusives or, at the very least, as easy port options. Drop this idea that you won't support ports. And stop making it so difficult for Indies to update and get their games up there. Ridiculous. The next minecraft could be found through this program.

4. Get the Console exclusive on Oculus Rift
It seems like it is there for the taking. You think those guys wouldn't want a huge partner who will support their new device? ORift is getting universal acclaim and it can be the next "Kinect" mid gen launch for the XB1 to give it another shot in the arm. By that time the price might be $199 and most XB1 games can be patched to support it. This is another no brainer.

5. Either Drop the Price to $399 or add more value
There's no reason this thing shouldn't be $399 or packed in with a game and a couple months of Live or more. Take that initial loss and the reward in market and mind share will be well worth it, especially considering all the royalties from games, dlc, online movies/music, etc. that await. If you want that box in every home, you have to price it right from the get go. $499 is one thing if there's no competition, but Microsoft has to stop living in a bubble.

Take these steps now, Microsoft, and you will reach 125mil + for XB1. Don't and watch the PS4 become the PS2 in market share.

#1 down.... four more to go =)

I personally don't think they changed because of gamer's outcry, or Sony. They were so dedicated to their control policies.

I think they changed for one reason only ... when they looked at pre-order numbers of Xbone vs. PS4.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Did anyone notice this too on Major Nelson's twitter?

ZZz5LsH.jpg

(ignore this post if already posted)

I cant see it, can you tell me what you mean?

Lynn616

I still fully expect that even offline kinects will be taking video/audio recordings periodically and sending them off to Redmond the next time the machine is hooked up to the internet. The always-attached kinect hasn't gone away. Only one of the shit things about the xbone is fixed, there's still plenty things wrong with it.

Hard to tell when people are joking. Are you really saying you think MS is going to take secret video of people? People will be able to check and see if anything like that is happening and it would destroy MS.

Gui_PT

The answer I expected was: "Hey you're right, I didn't know what I was talking about more than he did and I should apologize for acting that way"

Not that it's any of my business but it'd be nice

UberTag

Just catching up on this now news now as my attention was consumed with work, Animal Crossing, my Bruins and real life.

Frankly, I'm shocked Microsoft so readily pulled the plug on these policies based on a couple of weeks worth of pre-order commitments (one of which I made) after months of uproar online and steadfast stubborness on their part. It's absolute craziness... and I'm not sure whether the prompt reversal at this late juncture will be enough to undo the damage they've inflicted upon themselves over the past 6 months.

What can be said if nothing else is that this gen is going to continue to be wholly unpredictable. I'm still making the PS4 my first purchase as it's going to be hard to trust Microsoft not to reverse course again on these decisions and implement variations of them partway into the Xbox One lifecycle if given the opportunity.

But I may not be so dedicated towards taking the rare launch day console splash as my primary intent was to "deliver my message as a consumer" and apparently that message has already been delivered.

meppi

I personally don't think they changed because of gamer's outcry, or Sony. They were so dedicated to their control policies.

I think they changed for one reason only ... when they looked at pre-order numbers of Xbone vs. PS4.

Yeah, that's pretty obvious.
All the "we won't change anything" rhetoric that they have been putting out lately says a lot in this regard.
Along with the attitude of "everyone will end up getting the system anyway, just look at our exclusives!".
In the end, the only thing they care about is making money, like just about every company. So when you see the system being pummelled like this, followed by such a drastic back peddling on most of their major "features", it's pretty clear why they made this decision.

But in the end "your feedback matters" sounds a heck of a lot better than "we're changing our anti-consumer policies because most people wouldn't even buy our crap".

Majukun

Forgive me Major!
i'm just saying that we should not give any weight to what a pr guy says in the first place,you can't expect them to tell you the truth..we already know that all he was saying until now was utter bullshit..but it's his job..given his position he couldn't say "i'm sorry i was wrong/lying" even if he wanted to

3rdman

You know, I actually feel kinda bad for Major Nelson. He has zero input on these decisions and from the interviews it's clear he wasn't very well briefed on the specifics of the X1. If he didn't come out with so many silly, arrogant remarks he could've come out of this not looking so bad, but alas.

Don't feel bad...He's a fuckin' mouthpiece for a mega-corporation with no opinions of his own and he's well compensated for it.

Dyno

You know, I actually feel kinda bad for Major Nelson. He has zero input on these decisions and from the interviews it's clear he wasn't very well briefed on the specifics of the X1. If he didn't come out with so many silly, arrogant remarks he could've come out of this not looking so bad, but alas.

I said the same last night. He is one of the most well-heard mouthpieces for all things X-Box but obviously too junior to get timely memos.

Such is the trials of a talking head.

How can anyone in their right mind trust Microsoft with the Xbox anymore even with this announcement? They have proven to not be for the consumer. They folded under pressure after seeing the destruction that's already been done so far away from release, they had no choice, it was gonna get worse for them.

They dealt their hand and got exposed.

Sulla1980

How can anyone in their right mind trust Microsoft with the Xbox anymore even with this announcement? They have proven to not be for the consumer. They folded under pressure after seeing the destruction that's already been done so far away from release, they had no choice, it was gonna get worse for them.

Well, we could show our support for their decision to remove the DRM, and then we speak with money, which businesses like, and then we don't have to worry about trusting them. Or, we can trust that they listen to money. And that's all that you can expect with a corporation, right?

789shadow

Banned
Every time I hear someone say that the Xbox 180 has the better exclusive lineup I die inside. Just like the 360, it has Forza, Gears, and Halo. Any other exclusives look TERRIBLE.

m23

Every time I hear someone say that the Xbox 180 has the better exclusive lineup I die inside. Just like the 360, it has Forza, Gears, and Halo. Any other exclusives look TERRIBLE.

Really? Titanfall, Crimson Dragon, Quantum Break, Below, Sunset Overdrive all look "TERRIBLE"?

789shadow

Banned
Really? Titanfall, Crimson Dragon, Quantum Break, Below, Sunset Overdrive all look "TERRIBLE"?
Titanfall? Not Exclusive
Crimson Dragon? Wait and see
Quantum Break? Movie
Below? Probably great, but a lot more good looking indies on PS4
Sunset Overdrive? Insomniac doing another FPS after their last one wasn't so hot.

Fox Mulder

Sure, it's his job to spin the shit that rolls downhill from his superiors, he still came off as a clown though.

Maybe MS learned to respect their consumers a little more instead of taking them for granted and talking to them like idiots.

Would've loved to see his (and other Sony exec's) face upon reading yesterday's news. As good as their indie/dev support and powerful hardware are, not having bad DRM like the xbox one was their big thing for ps4 marketing.

IDK why? The damage has been done and although Microsoft can gain some traction Sony still has alot of ammunition. The Xbone didnt just have Drm as a negative, it also has the fact that its less powerful (no matter how anyone tries to spin it its less powerful by a good margin), Kinect always on, Kinect centered games that will be focus again and the fact that its more expensive. Sonys Pr team can easily latch on and say " Why pay 100 more for a weaker system, welcome to the future Ps4 "Greatness awaits". Only some Core will eat this Pr bs from Microsoft but for others starting all the way back from their lies with the RROD situation this debacle and their relentless greed has only cemented the crap company that they are. They tried to get away with murder and Sonys ps4 consumer friendly system and the slaughtering at the pre order rates made them back track.

I respect the few Microsoft faithfuls that opened their eyes but even many of their core sheep didnt care about the DRM policy and the other things. People going back to Xbox after this Microsoft news should be ashamed of themselves as its only sending Microsoft a message "sure shaft us whenever you like and whenever we get mad recant and everything will be ok". It was the same with RROD. Microsoft knowingly sold faulty hardware knowing it would screw hundreds of thousands of consumers and initially lied about the situation and didn't honor anyone's RROD systems if they passed the one year warranty. Consumers take Microsoft to court and they admit fault only due to litigation and are forced to extend warranty to 3 years and all of a sudden "wow Microsoft is awesome they care!!!" seriously some ppl deserve to be shafted without lube.

Yeah let's not go crazy. I've been spitting hatred at Microsoft all month and I wanted them to die in a fire, but let's not drag down interesting game projects. Quantum Break was super impressive visually, Sunset Overdrive could be stylish (once it's made), Crimson Dragon is in one of the best game series ever, and TitanFall is the first serious next-gen attempt to end the CoD/Battlefield madness.

Titanfall? Not Exclusive
Quantum Break? Movie
Sunset Overdrive? Insomniac doing another FPS after their last one wasn't so hot.
You forgot the most important one...dat Killer Instinct!

I'm not going to claim that any of these games are "terrible", but outside of Crimson Dragon I find them very uninteresting. That D4 game was probably the most compelling "exclusive" that they announced.

methane47

What reply do you expect? That Larry was right?

Again, day 1 patch required even though we are 5 months out. That means they haven't even got it figured out yet because otherwise there would be plenty of time to update the firmware and not require that.

It was probably REAL easy actually. Didn't the E3 Hardware not have the mandatory check-ins and internet stuff?

If the developers had ANY kind of intelligence at all, it would be REAL easy to patch that crap out.

ExReey

What's up with all this Titanfall hype lately. It looks like a pretty mediocre FPS game. It's like the Halo hype all over again.

GodofWine

Amazon is now selling a lot more xbone games, so it looks like people may have been resigned to going DD only, and now are preordering disc at a decent clip. This will probably shift a few console units there way as well.

I guess its better to be laughed at than hated?

Now drop the damn camera, nobody wants it...and it can see me nude 0_o

n385055

Banned

Because they've provided me a great experience with Xbox/Xbox 360 in the past and I'm convinced they will do so with Xbox One as well. I give a shit on PR, Don Hattrick or any Always Online shit, due the fact I'm an online gamer anyways.

So I will of course support Xbox in the future because I like the brand, I like the franchises and I have fun. And that's the most important thing for me. Having fun and a good time.

ari

Banned
Titanfall? Not Exclusive
Quantum Break? Movie
Really? Is this one of those, "not on my console of choice, so it sucks" posts?

Because they've provided me a great experience with Xbox/Xbox 360 in the past and I'm convinced they will do so with Xbox One as well. I give a shit on PR, Don Hattrick or any Always Online shit, due the fact I'm an online gamer anyways.

So I will of course support Xbox in the future because I like the brand, I like the franchises and I have fun. And that's the most important thing for me. Having fun and a good time.

Yeah that 60% failure rate at one point was a killer experience. To add insult to injury they lied about rrod even happening lol and only changed stance when dragged to court.

And yeah those kinect games oh my killer experiences . Def. better than without the controller

My god ppl are so brainwashed and for a few games would sell their soul!!!! Yeah you support a company that blatantly shafts their consumers with no regards whatsoever. ITs pathetic!

n385055

Banned
Titanfall? Not Exclusive
Quantum Break? Movie

Are you serious? Quantum Break calling a Movie?

What's your opinion on Heavy Rain then?

And Titanfall is Console Exclusive and "wait and see" is no good argument, yo troll.

abundant

Yeah, they removed the DRM until they get a solid user base, and then BAM.

I don't know why people keep thinking this. They won't do it simply because they fear the amount of backlash that would come if they did (it'd be way worse than it is now). It's the same reason why publishers don't use their own DRM, even though they have the ability to.

Maybe on the Xbox Two.

ari

Banned
Yeah that 60% failure rate at one point was a killer experience. To add insult to injury they lied about rrod even happening lol and only changed stance when dragged to court.

And yeah those kinect games oh my killer experiences . Def. better than without the controller

My god ppl are so brainwashed and for a few games would sell their soul!!!! Yeah you support a company that blatantly shafts their consumers with no regards whatsoever. ITs pathetic!
Why are you shitting on his experience with the Xbox brand? Are you fucking kidding me? None of this shit you spewed have nothing to do with what he was talking about.

n385055

Banned

You obviously have problems to accept other people opinions, right?

Why are you shitting on his experience with the Xbox brand? Are you fucking kidding me?

Also, I don't know how you can worry about "selling your soul" in this day and age. Shit, I don't even want to know the conditions under which my sneakers were made.

A DRM flip flop? That's small change.

Top Bottom