• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft officially pulls DRM from Xbox One, announces new policies

IrishNinja

so of course, there's arthur gies right there, just waiting to suck

he's 100% correct. People wanted new, now they got old. Yay for stifiling potential progression.

So now we're going to get another 10 years of the same BS DLC and paid online crap and it's because people want to save 5 dollars on a used game from gamestop trade ins.

someone bought cliffy's false dichotomy...interesting

HenryHSH

No amazon chart here but Microsoft dropped the ball.

If a subsidized Xbox One deal is in the works behind closed doors, then they shouldn't have announced their "console" so soon.

Microsoft's messaging is clear, they're trying to create an all-in-one box that is supposed to be "essential" to every living room. A replacement to your cable box and something that has a lot of potential.

In theory, a device that lets you play all your DVDs and Blurays, stream Amazon, Netflix and Youtube videos, watch live television, record the shows you enjoy, call family and friends on Skype, and on top of all that play all your favorite games, sounds awesome. All controlled with simple voice commands. Sounds good, until you look at the big picture.

The biggest problem is that it costs Five Hundred Dollars. You need more than an all-in-one sales pitch to convince people to buy this device. The average dude loves the idea of using his voice (he loves his voice) to switch to ESPN. Instant on-screen stats and updates sound great! But for $500? He'll tell you to fuck off.

We're gamers that frequent gaming forums, there are probably a million of us. We all play games, a lot of us enjoy sports and use services like skype, twitch and youtube. We will use most of the Xbox one's features and are willing to justify half a thousand dollars on a console. But we are the minority. There are sixty+ million potential customers out there with cable TV in the US alone.

Where is the cheap XBox One that comes with every Time Warner cable installation? Why not make xbox live cheaper and part of a cable subscription package? Why go through all the effort to turn your box into a cable box but not replace the goddamn cable box?

The second problem is the fact that we HAVEN'T SEEN ANYTHING. They are still selling the concept of the Xbox One. Am I the only skeptical motherfucker in here? I need something more than just a staged demo of a fake interface to sell me on how well all this voice command, channel changing, window snapping, triple-OS multitasking wizardry works.

The third problem is the fact that some things still aren't clear. No DRM and no online requirement anymore, does this mean all the features that "required" DRM no longer work? Do games not use cloud "computations" anymore? Which... by the way... is the biggest PR bullshit I've ever heard. When did reading data from a motherfucking server become next gen? Oh look, my Forza opened the cloud realm and befriended the binaritard people who translate their mythical language that only the power of the XBOX ONE can decrypt and turn into your friends who race against you WHEN THEY'RE NOT EVEN ON THEIR XBOXES. (TL;DR Am I in some alternate universe where MMOs never fucking existed?)

There are other problems, but I've spent way too much time on this post and I am reminded why I never really participate in anything but NBA and game community threads anymore.

The PS4 will outsell the XBox, not because it's any better but because it has a strong brand name. The PS3 was an overpriced forman grill at one point but is now on track to overtake 360 even after coming out a year after.

The Xbox one will sell well, but nothing close to what Microsoft probably hoped for with how they approached all this. (which sounds like all their other products) They have the better exclusives but Sony has The Last Guardian which they'll announce sometimes soon... And by soon I mean anywhere between 1 to 7 years.

With all that said... Things change.

I'm a fanboytroll-I hate the xbox-love PS3-Gabe Newell is our lord and savior, etc. Mwahahahaha newman.gif

Tau

Although this is positive news for Microsoft, it clearly demonstrates how Microsoft thought there initial strategy was all about acquisition to realising they're probably loosing valuable customers (probably looked at pre-order sales lol) and now have changed their strategy to a retention strategy which has resulted in following announcement.

Poor business by Microsoft thinking they have a core competency to force consumers to their rigid services (I'm talking about DRM and 24/7 online checks) at least make it beneficial to the customers. This just shows that Microsoft's business model does not hold customer value at its core rather they have to look at their competitors Sony to understand good service/product that meets customer demand results in a good experience.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Well at least the DRM thing is out of the way, now we can talk about what really matters ...

GAMES
*gasp*

No we need to ram the point home for the next 400 Xbone threads that MS shouldn't be trusted and that Sony definitely loves gamers.

ekim

Microsoft data mining for the NSA is still a thing, right?

People still arguing that Kinect will watch them? Use logic. It's super effective!
How will Kinect be able to send stuff back home to MS when it is offline?
If you are online - use tape if you suffer from a persecution complex.

Xpliskin

It took some time to sink in my head, but I just realized how big this is.

Well, the damage is done.

PS4 is still more powerful and cheaper, and we haven't seen what Sony's first party are up to.

Minions

It took some time to sink in my head, but I just realized how big this is.

Well, the damage is done.

PS4 is still more powerful and cheaper, and we haven't seen what Sony's first party are up to.

Money is always what it all comes down to. Which is why I only preordered one console to start with. The other(s) will be picked up some time down the line when the game libraries (and price drops) suit me. The backlog I have from this gen will fill any gaps with no issues (even if there are no games for over a year)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Huh. That is surprising. If only I could get rid of the EYE OF MICROSOFT so that it can't watch me.... concentrating.... in my living room.

BY2K

Membero Americo
What the fuck is this?

Xbox Live Gold Day One: 12 Month Subscription 99,99$!?

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00D8Y3NJU/

100$ for a year of Xbox Live?

EDIT: Comes with KI and Shadow Jago.

Xbox Live Gold is your ticket to the most exciting social entertainment network in the world. Experience unrivaled multiplayer gaming, with smarter matchmaking that's ready when you are. Watch HD movies, TV shows, live events, music and sports. Enjoy premier entertainment apps, Skype, and Internet Explorer. And take advantage of member discounts and exclusives. Plus, anyone in your home can access Xbox Live Gold benefits on your Xbox One. And now for a limited time, get a Day One 12-month Xbox Live Gold membership and play the digital game, Killer Instinct: Round One, with the exclusive Shadow Jago character. Also includes commemorative Day One membership card and case.

LAA

Its funny, this feels like both a bad and a good thing.
I guess for me, its a good thing, as those things are just considered negatives as far as I'm concerned, but also by changing it, I guess its safe to say PS4/One will work pretty similar to how it handles things like pre owned/online, etc., but that now also means its a pretty straight view to look at it.

Before XBone was trying to be somewhat different, (I at least liked the idea of all my games being tied to my account), but now as it looks they'll both function similarly, its even more easy to see the PS4 is better. Its more powerful and its cheaper to boot. (Also its smaller + no power brick, but as long it can fit where my consoles are now, I dont really consider it a negative)
XBone just needs to justify why anyone should pay £80-90 more for a weaker/bigger console, which I cant see how they can do that, as well as justify the price for Live and including always on kinect...

Even if Xbone became £299 though for instance, compared to PS4 at £350, I'd still go for PS4, £299 is what the XBone should be now and that seems fair giving its weaker hardware. MS just being behind Xbox puts me off too... I dont think I need to remind anyone how MS have handled the public regarding the Xbox One and I also think seeing it needs a day 1 patch to remove DRM, that its built into the machine, which I dont like the sound of either, not that I predict them turning DRM ever, in fear of a massive backlash, all this stuff just makes me feel MS dont get gamers anymore and Sony for me handled it very well and to me, proved they know how to talk to gamers, so MS really need to work on how they handle PR too, a lot of what they say puts me off too and just how they say it generally.

Geniuzz

Now that MS is forced to allow used games, and Cliff Blezinski said "Used games and AAA titles can't co-exist" (or something to that effect, does that mean that MS is not going to publish any AAA titles?

Nicktendo86

FLAWLESS VICTORY

Seriously guys well done to everyone who put effort into the No DRM campaign, this is your victory. As to anyone who is moaning at the loss of the 10 family members share and playing games without discs in he console, fuck you. The DRM was a blatant finger to consumer rights and the sharing plan was an obvious half arsed idea to try to justify the DRM. There is nothing stopping MS from allowing you to share games that have been downloaded, blame MS for lack of functionality, not consumers.

This really puts me in a tough spot though, I had resolved myself to a WiiU & PS4 future, not sure what to do. Always best to have choice though, no one wants to see Sony run off with the generation and get complacent.

Terra

MS really need to work on how they handle PR too, a lot of what they say puts me off too and just how they say it generally.

This is so true. They dropped the ball like I've never seen before on E3. Of course, they have not been into the videogame-game as long as Nintendo or Sony. But man...the way things were handled. From Major Nelsons mic-overtaking to Mattricks "we have 360"-commentary. It was absolutely hideous.

For example, Reggie got a little pushed against the wall, but still, he is handling stuff as smooth as possible.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
This is so true. They dropped the ball like I've never seen before on E3. Of course, they have not been into the videogame-game as long as Nintendo or Sony. But man...the way things were handled. From Major Nelsons mic-overtaking to Mattricks "we have 360"-commentary. It was absolutely hideous.

For example, Reggie got a little pushed against the wall, but still, he is handling stuff as smooth as possible.

They need someone who comes across as 'one of us'.

Phil Spencer is probably the closest they have got but even then he's tied to a PR leash.

I love how everyone seems to harp on the 500 dollar price as being way to high. You know Apple sells 50 million plus Ipads a year at more than what xbox will cost. Let's not freak out here.

Rich!

I love how everyone seems to harp on the 500 dollar price as being way to high. You know Apple sells 50 million plus Ipads a year at more than what xbox will cost. Let's not freak out here.

I can buy an iPad for significantly less than £429.

I can also buy a PS4 for £80 cheaper.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
You want to know what sucks? I understand that there were a lot of people this was going to affect negatively, but I know for a fact that most of the people crying about it weren't going to be affected at all because they always do have access to the internet, kept their 360 online all the time anyway and were basically upset based on principle...

But was REALLY annoying is that a lot of people complaining were Sony fans who never intended to get an Xbox One anyway and were just trolling the Xbox One, I would say as much as half of the complaints were never getting an Xbox One and have now ruined it for all of us who were ready for the future. The benefits truly outweighed some of the bad imo, family game sharing was indeed TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE *cries

"Ready for the future"? What kind of bollocks is this? You can still live a digital-only lifestyle if you're so worried about swapping your games out or scratching disks, just like you currently can with the Xbox 360 - meanwhile the rest of us can carry on sharing games with our local friends and not have to jump through hoops to appease Microsoft's greedy motivations. What route the Xbox One was talking was flat-out wrong for many reasons, and I really fail to see how proclaiming it's "the future" of our industry many many times over would have made the prospect any better for any of us.

meppi

After all the talk of gamers having knee jerk reactions, I guess large companies can do the same. :p
Didn't expect this at all to be honest. After all the shilling and explaining of how this policy would create so much flexibility and open doors to possibilities we can't even imagine, they go back and eat their words?
Before they stated how happy they were to be where they were and how nothing would be changing as they did what they wanted despite anyone raising concerns, and now this...

It's certainly a good thing, and thanks to it I now no longer scoff at the prospect of getting the system somewhere down the line, but even though I've been in the MS camp this generation for a while now, I can't ignore the bad taste all this shit has left in my mouth.

It's not like I can just forget what they were trying to do in the first place, nor how they were willing to ignore us completely for so long just to pull the company line and "set us right" in a very arrogant way not once, but many times over.
No sir, I still don't like it.

Still more expensive than PS4

Still less powerful than PS4

Still no user upgradeable hard drive

Still needs Kinnect

Still the same bunch of corporate cunts in charge that came up with this disaster in the first place.

...still not buying Xbox.
Etc. and such. But ultimately it's the games I value. DRM was a dealbreaker, the remaining issues are easier to...deal with.

Cody_D165

Banned
I find this interview absolutely hilarious now

ibx8cu3MZ7UqWR.gif

People still arguing that Kinect will watch them? Use logic. It's super effective!
How will Kinect be able to send stuff back home to MS when it is offline?
If you are online - use tape if you suffer from a persecution complex.

... It won't.

People like you that act like it's a conspiracy theory make me laugh. Every tech company that matters has admitted they need to hand over data when asked, the NSA has admitted they take whatever they want from anywhere, and you act like it's impossible that their premiere partner would hand over some footage/data/access if demanded. From the camera that must always be on for the vaguest reason ever.

News flash, Xbox Live and Skype are a part of prism.

Bowler

talking to some real life friends, and looking at some other posts here and other forums, it seems as if the now xbox 180 went from being the villain, to the laughing stock.

is being the clueless red headed step child better then being the stern and prick stepdad?

Dits

Seeing lots of people lamenting the loss of sharing and the family idea. But just looking back. Did they ever say we would be able to share games? There was the one time 'give' the rest was put on the publishers wasn't it? or to be decided at a later date.

The family this also never really got me excited as only 1 person could play at one time.

Am I missing something terrible we have just lost? Because the U-Turn seems like its a win for everyone

3rdman

Well, it's obviously not simple or they wouldn't need a day 1 patch even though we are 5 months away from launch. I doubt they have even written that patch yet and are still trying to figure shit out.

I don't think they actually called it a "Patch" did they? I got the impression that there will be a mandatory online-only registration that occurs when you first get it. After which, you'll never have to connect to the internet...am I wrong?

I assume they will still want to track accounts to consoles...

I posted this in his twitter but didn't get a reply

What reply do you expect? That Larry was right?

Again, day 1 patch required even though we are 5 months out. That means they haven't even got it figured out yet because otherwise there would be plenty of time to update the firmware and not require that.

Gui_PT

What reply do you expect? That Larry was right?

Again, day 1 patch required even though we are 5 months out. That means they haven't even got it figured out yet because otherwise there would be plenty of time to update the firmware and not require that.

Looks like I should've posted this on your twitter

Dave Long

Banned
I think what this reversal also proves is that Microsoft's first party output and "exclusive" games on their console are not enough to make people stick around. They overvalued their software and especially their services on the new Xbox One and never realized that people really aren't that in invested in Halo, etc. anymore to stick with their console through thick or thin.

Shambles

... It won't.

People like you that act like it's a conspiracy theory make me laugh. Every tech company that matters has admitted they need to hand over data when asked, the NSA has admitted they take whatever they want from anywhere, and you act like it's impossible that their premiere partner would hand over some footage/data/access if demanded. From the camera that must always be on for the vaguest reason ever.

News flash, Xbox Live and Skype are a part of prism.

I still fully expect that even offline kinects will be taking video/audio recordings periodically and sending them off to Redmond the next time the machine is hooked up to the internet. The always-attached kinect hasn't gone away. Only one of the shit things about the xbone is fixed, there's still plenty things wrong with it.

You know, I actually feel kinda bad for Major Nelson. He has zero input on these decisions and from the interviews it's clear he wasn't very well briefed on the specifics of the X1. If he didn't come out with so many silly, arrogant remarks he could've come out of this not looking so bad, but alas.

Top Bottom