• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft officially pulls DRM from Xbox One, announces new policies

Hurley

How long until the leaks come out about what made them change the DRM policy? Who did it? What were the meetings like? I want all the juicy details.

jumping-out-of-window.gif

raphanum

How long until the leaks come out about what made them change the DRM policy? Who did it? What were the meetings like? I want all the juicy details.

It is a giant corporation. It wouldn't have been up to one person. Most likely the MS board would've discussed it. It's all about dividends. Money, money, money, moneeyyyyy!

ShutEye

I would have loved to see the changes in sales estimates. Must have been pretty brutal.

Pretty pathetic strategic handling by microsoft. A twelve year old could've told Microsoft what would have happened if they failed to collude with Sony on aligning used game policy. Basic game theory any MBA would get. The entire management team should be replaced immediately.

broony

I understand people's desire to keep hold of their own games, but for me I have never really been into playing older games on current systems, so have never really been bothered about backwards compatibility. When I get a new system, I play the new games for that system.

Likewise I don't think I have ever turned on my OG Xbox since having a 360, and I have never gone back to my Atari ST, or Speccy 48k. In fact I am unsure if they are still in the house or have gone. If I wan't a bit of nostalgia there is web based retro stuff, there is youtube, but to be honest I would only want to see them for five minutes, then the novelty has worn off.

I don't tend to buy second hand, but I see that as a major sticking point with people as it is obviously a cheaper way to pick up games. That said, the second hand market price is a bit of a joke. Usually you are looking to get £10 maybe off a 6 month old game? If, and its a big IF, Microsoft followed steam's way of doing things with bundles, sales and dicsounts, then you could be paying the same or less digitally as you would in the traded game section at you local store.

I like steam. I like having everything with me. I like getting stuff for cheap off steam. I really liked the sound of the 10 friends system, if that really was as it sounded. I liked the sound of DRM allowing for instanmt switching between games, so I could do a few laps in Forza while waiting for my Battlefield lobby to fill up.

I can totally see why some people would have been shocked by the policies, but when you delve a bit deeper I think people would have got over it pretty quickly and got on with the new generation and its benefits.

All this centres around Microsoft holding up their side of the bargain though, but with the scale of consumer pressure that has been used in getting them to reverse their policies, being used instead to pressure them on sharing (which looks like it was going to happen), and cheap digital games (which is where I suspect they may not have jumped in), we could have seen something really inetersting.

Donos

Would've loved to see his (and other Sony exec's) face upon reading yesterday's news. As good as their indie/dev support and powerful hardware are, not having bad DRM like the xbox one was their big thing for ps4 marketing.

I think Sony is in the spot now where they thought they would be before the infos about all the XB1 stuff came up. They were prepared for another HD twin race generation but this time with more capable hardware then PS3 vs XB360.
The DRM stuff and negativity which came up was a huge gift for them which is partly nullified now. They still ride on wave of the last weeks now but the preorder ratio will definiteley switch/even out more now.
MS also avoided an Amazon review desaster for the XB1.

Jomjom

Banned
The PS4 also seems to be split up between different launch bundles. Add those systems together and I'm sure the number is much higher.

I think I've seen these explanations at least 50 times now. I think we need a sticky thread just to explain this so we don't get the "Xbox 180 is now #1 on Amazon!" post anymore.

MCD

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/19/xbox-one-will-require-day-one-update

Whitten clarified that “you’ll still install [games] to the hard drive. Obviously if you download them from online that’s the way it works. If you put a disc in, it will install it to the hard drive. You will have to have the disc in the tray in order to play. One of the cool features that actually comes with that, as an example, because we built on all this infrastructure around Xbox One, is if I went to your house with my disc-based game and we played for a while, and obviously I’d installed and we played, and then I left with my disc, you could instantly buy that game with no downloads.”

I guess something cool came outta this.

blade85

Neo Member
Ahahaha

Xbox One...Eighty...

Anywho, this should get some more people buying the system...but maaan this was funny.

I guess the seriously bad reception and high PS4 pre-orders made them change their minds.

Well at least the DRM thing is out of the way, now we can talk about what really matters ...

GAMES
*gasp*

Both system will have games. Many of the same games actually. But one system will be cheaper, smaller and more powerful. And one company didn't just try and fuck us all in the ass.

No Microsoft gets no passes on this one.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
About indie policies:

7kH8HSx.jpg

What does he knoooow?

MS gave him a wad of cash to have another developer make his game for Xbox. That's what he knows. :p

There were rumours there might be some Xbox-related announcements for debs at BUILD next week but who knows.

Blearth

Banned
Both system will have games. Many of the same games actually. But one system will be cheaper, smaller and more powerful. And one company didn't just try and fuck us all in the ass.

No Microsoft gets no passes on this one.

Kinect 2 makes the Xbox One far more attractive to me than the PS4. Especially now that Sony doesn't have the free online advantage.

That sentiment might not be popular on GAF, but GAF is a tiny, tiny portion of the market.

Kinect 2 makes the Xbox One far more attractive to me than the PS4. Especially now that Sony doesn't have the free online advantage.

That sentiment might not be popular on GAF, but GAF is a tiny, tiny portion of the market.

Yes please continue to tell us our opinions don't matter. And I'm sure you'll be very happy with your Xbox.

Ahahaha

Xbox One...Eighty...

Anywho, this should get some more people buying the system...but maaan this was funny.

I guess the seriously bad reception and high PS4 pre-orders made them change their minds.

Try I also think we might see a system boost to the XB1 now to compete with what Sony are offering because on a spec sheet the PS4 pisses all over the One.

Still more expensive than PS4

Still less powerful than PS4

Still no user upgradeable hard drive

Still needs Kinnect

Still the same bunch of corporate cunts in charge that came up with this disaster in the first place.

...still not buying Xbox.

Hahaha. Keep telling yourself that. Sony GAF killed it with their NoDRM push. And those preorder numbers speak for themselves.

quetz67

Banned
I must say I am pretty happy. Sure I would have liked to see MS fail, but this way we probably keep the special console virtues a little longer.

Top Bottom