• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft officially pulls DRM from Xbox One, announces new policies

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
How can anyone trust MS? They won't hesitate to try to pull this again.

Won't they? I would be quite cautious after that experience. I doubt this was fun for anyone involved. If I just think at how many super-angry tweets I sent to Majornelsen for instance, this is not nice to have.

mujun

How weak and forgetful ppl can be. Microsoft have been shafting consumers since the begginimg and ppl let them get away with it every single time. They did it with lying about the rrod fiasco and rushing hardware, they did it with touting kinect as the next coming of Christ with smoke and mirrors which ended up being casual lag fest and now they tried ton take your manhood and stuck it in partially then pulled it out after you screamed rape and its OK?

Man a lot of gamers disgust me and it isn't a brand loyalty but principles at stake. The only reason Microsoft changed their mind is because it was too much negativity and they were getting screwed on all fronts. Don't be naive and think it was because they cared about the gamers.

So what now? You buy the Xbone and wait until Microsoft does the next shady thing? And its ok becuase they care about you guys now lol hahahaha man alot of you guys deserve the shafting. I'm so happy I have touched a Microsoft console since they knowingly sold faulty hardware and cost consumers time AnD money buying new 360s before they were forced in court to admit rrod and extend warranty. Alot of you guys for Halo would sell your soul Smh

Anyway %uck Microsoft and no i wont be buying the weaker, more expensive, kinect focused and spying xbone. Someone mentioned Forza lol looking the most next gen hahaha im sure he was being sarcastic but if not Killzone Sf and Infamous say hello.

Death to Microsoft. They need to pay for their lies and disrespect and inform one won't buy their crap.

Death to Microsoft, they don't fool me. They need to pay dearly for their avarice and disrespectful ways and ts pay by losing money.

Closed minds are easily boggled it seems.

If I can buy a game, put it in a machine, get what I feel is 60 dollars worth of value out of it and then sell it off again then I am pretty much happy.

Other factors don't much play into it in any great way.

Vlightray

How weak and forgetful ppl can be. Microsoft have been shafting consumers since the begginimg and ppl let them get away with it every single time. They did it with lying about the rrod fiasco and rushing hardware, they did it with touting kinect as the next coming of Christ with smoke and mirrors which ended up being casual lag fest and now they tried ton take your manhood and stuck it in partially then pulled it out after you screamed rape and its OK?

Man a lot of gamers disgust me and it isn't a brand loyalty but principles at stake. The only reason Microsoft changed their mind is because it was too much negativity and they were getting screwed on all fronts. Don't be naive and think it was because they cared about the gamers.

So what now? You buy the Xbone and wait until Microsoft does the next shady thing? And its ok becuase they care about you guys now lol hahahaha man alot of you guys deserve the shafting. I'm so happy I have touched a Microsoft console since they knowingly sold faulty hardware and cost consumers time AnD money buying new 360s before they were forced in court to admit rrod and extend warranty. Alot of you guys for Halo would sell your soul Smh

Anyway %uck Microsoft and no i wont be buying the weaker, more expensive, kinect focused and spying xbone. Someone mentioned Forza lol looking the most next gen hahaha im sure he was being sarcastic but if not Killzone Sf and Infamous say hello.

Death to Microsoft. They need to pay for their lies and disrespect and inform one won't buy their crap.

Death to Microsoft, they don't fool me. They need to pay dearly for their avarice and disrespectful ways and ts pay by losing money.

Agreed Fully.

HardRojo

Now that I think about it, Microsoft "fixing" this issue has made my console combo decision for this generation somewhat harder, I had decided to go PS4+Wii U but I might have to put the Wii U on hold for a while and get a PS4 and Xbox One now.

Tom Penny

The only problem with this is they probably won't be utilizing the infinite power of cloud now that users aren't required to be online basically 24/7

Troll

Banned

I have to thank you, I haven't laughed that loud at a post in a long time.

People take this shit way to seriously.

Skidd

Good decision, except this is what it should have been in the first place. Microsoft is still a terrible company in my eyes.

They changed this only because they saw all that money slipping away with the pre-orders. They didn't care about the consumer in the first place, the announcement of DRM/always online is a proof of this.

And now, people are awfully quick to forgive them and forget about all this? I'm not forgiving them, not when they aren't even doing this for the gamers.

Biker19

Banned
um, the console hasn't been released yet? how is it too late?

people asked for changes, they got them, and it still isn't enough? when are people going to be happy ffs.

You must be a blast when a girlfriend/boyfriend makes a mistake. MS could not have redeemed themselves no matter what it seems. While they still have a ways to go to make me feel content, I certainly am happy they were willing to humiliate themselves in order to revoke their bullshit policies.

It's just called, "being cautious" & not being gullible to accept them so fast just because they changed their policies, because they might try this method again later on down the road.

I can totally understand certain posters like BoboBrazil, Wynnebeck, W!CKED, Skidd, & lovegames718 about it.

mujun

Good decision, except this is what it should have been in the first place. Microsoft is still a terrible company in my eyes.

They changed this only because they saw all that money slipping away with the pre-orders. They didn't care about the consumer in the first place, the announcement of DRM/always online is a proof of this.

And now, people are awfully quick to forgive them and forget about all this? I'm not forgiving them, not when they aren't even doing this for the gamers.

Do people really spend much times thinking about companies in those terms? I'm trying to understand as the idea seems alien to me.

I pretty much couldn't tell you what company made what product in my house with 90+% of what I own.

I'd agree that MS' attitude towards customers isn't as good as Sony's (I think Nintendo's is almost as bad as MS') but at the end of the day it has little or no affect on me.

That is a true megaton, good decision.

Still leaves more than just a bad taste that they wanted to implement such policies though. But it's up to the consumer to decide whether they want to hold that against them.

Oh and get rid of mandatory kinect-ion while you're at it.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I think the problem is more the mixed message - it sounds like they did actually have some sort of alternate vision for the future of console gaming.

The way they presented it, though, was so terrible and unfocused it came off as shady and dishonest. They couldn't show anyone any benefits of their system and everything sort of came out after the E3 presentation which made it seem like they didn't want to stand behind it at all. Of course, given how not much of it was in the E3 show there's the possibility they were testing the waters with it and when it was savaged by pretty much everyone they backed down.

The fault is in their awful PR regardless, and not having a clear message for their people to present. The whole thing was so confused, it's not surprising it got canned.

Flatline

Banned
I have to thank you, I haven't laughed that loud at a post in a long time.

People take this shit way to seriously.

Yeah, who gives a fuck about his consumer rights? Let's just give corporations a free pass to screw us every time they feel like it and LOL at the losers who care about this crap. It's not like we're thinking individuals with principles or anything, just blind consumatrons buying stuff we like. Fuck yeah!

Monocle

The only problem with this is they probably won't be utilizing the infinite power of cloud now that users aren't required to be online basically 24/7
Now instead of having a console a bajillion times more powerful than the PS4, MS will have to resign themselves to a fair fight. :(

In seriousness, it's hilarious how their bullshit about cloud processing was exposed for what it was: hand waving to distract people from the fact that DRM was the main purpose for the Xbone's constant connection. It's so fucking jokes, I just can't.

"Oh, we can't just turn off DRM with the flick of a switch." *cut to MS announcing that they can in fact turn off DRM in an instant*

How droll. I don't even need to play games, I can just kick back and watch the antics of this crazy industry with a bucket of popcorn. (Yes, I realize I just described about 95% of GAF.)

McSpidey

For whatever reason there are people out there who genuinely think that public outcry had no impact on this whole affair. Their argument is that Microsoft only changed their mind because Sony didn't go with DRM and Sony didn't go with DRM because they were never going to anyway. It's a good argument stance to take because relying on "they were going to do it anyway" is like a get out of jail free card for logical debate.

Now let me be clear, I don't believe that for a second, but for the sake of argument let's assume it's true. IF Microsoft ONLY changed their mind because a competitor chose a different strategy than them all they've done is prove they're incapable of leadership, have no faith in their own ideas or their ability to communicate them. This is then a much bigger deal as it speaks volumes about the company and their ability to function.

Let's then also look at alternative scenarios.
1: They backed down because someone in the company had a completely uninfluenced change of heart. (lol)

2: They backed down because their own fanbase in enough quantity told them they didn't want DRM. One issue here is a view held by the "Hashtaggers had no influence" crew that there simply aren't enough hashtaggers so there isn't enough scale to enact change. I've personally been told by one on this topic that $300K (their estimated figure of the loss of "hashtagger" sales ) isn't enough to change a billion dollar companies mind on policy, especially when "iron clad, unbreakable" contracts with publishers are involved. So if this is truly the reason Microsoft backed down it means either the scale of public outcry was much bigger than we think..or it's not the reason.

3: They backed down because they saw the general consumer reaction or a lack there of to their offerings at retail. Pre-orders had only just started so analysis on this would have been mostly projections. They were either the worst projections in the world or this was only a minor factor.

No matter how I look at it I can't see a version of events where the hashtag influence wasn't a critical deciding factor. If not by direct numbers then by working as a magnifier of shared sentiment. If this is the case then I feel it's the magnitude of this shared sentiment and it's impact on the language and vigor in the response that is the chain reaction we saw that had the most influence, but I can't think of a way to objectively measure this.

methane47

BNJr_uKCEAAG2XGjpglarge_zps13343994.jpg

Lol this is exactly the first thing that popped in my head when I read the news lol

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

Considering the Cloud doesn't really do much in real time, it won't be that bad.

Also, I'm sure there will be games that are "Cloud required" or "better with the Cloud".

And the advantages are much broader than single player improvements. Dedicated servers for an entire consoles multiplayer library? That is huge no matter how you spin it.

Lol this is exactly the first thing that popped in my head when I read the news lol

It's a pretty non sensical meme to be honest.

The OS update that removes the DRM, online check in and all that wouldn't even exist yet.

Vitten

Haha, I guess their sale projections took a big dive after all the negativity surrounding their console and they started to panic, otherwise they would never do this.
Shows that they are very insecure about their new product, not really a good sign.

And there's still way too many issues for me to care about xbone.. Obligatory kinect camera, it's still slower and more expensive than the competition.

I'm going to take a wait-and-see approach with this one. Start with PS4 and after a few years I'll see if it's worth bying one.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
aaannnd back on my possible purchase list.

edit: Family sharing going out is a bit :/ though.

MaulerX

Too little too late.

Microsoft, you've had your chance to make a decision about all this anit-consumer bullsh!t. You didn't take it, but Sony did. You decided to push the boundaries of anti-consumer policies while Sony decided to push the boundaries of play. And now that analysts foresee the XBox One ending up a dead birth you change your mind? How stupid do you think we are? You obviously changed your mind for your shareholders and not for us gamers. You still don't get it!

What in the world do you mean by "too late"?

The system does not launch until 5 months from now. By the time it launches, no one will even know or remember they even attempted this. It'll be business as usual. If anything, they were smart in changing it this quick.

Duffyside

Banned
Would it be too much on this one topic if a new thread were created about "Who Was Going to Jump to PS4, but Now Won't?" Honestly curious how much impact MS's about-face had.

Kajiba

Have we gotten any holocaust or slavery comparisons yet?

Not yet, but expecting it. People agreeing with that rape analogy as if it's on the same level as this is just something else...

Back to happy news. Xbox one being region free is really awesome. Didn't think Microsoft would ever make that possible.

GhaleonEB

Have we gotten any holocaust or slavery comparisons yet?

I'm about two thousand posts behind, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I do share the general sentiment that MS has lost a lot of goodwill they accumulated with the 360, and the reversal on the Xbox One DRM has only partially restored it. I still have significant reservations about the system, and even with Microsoft's reversal, I find myself hesitant to embrace the platform. Just for trying to go the direction they were going.

I do think they altered the competitive dynamic with the PS4 today, tossing a few of the sandbags they burdened their platform with. They are in a better position now and I would not be surprised to start hearing reports of stronger pre-orders (for stores not yet maxed out like Gamestop). But they've got a ways to go to really even the scales.

I know right! It's terrific.

It also dashes their PR about the way the system was designed from the ground up to have all games connected to the cloud, always online, etc. Just *poof*

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Would it be too much on this one topic if a new thread were created about "Who Was Going to Jump to PS4, but Now Won't?" Honestly curious how much impact MS's about-face had.

I've purchased the last 2 consoles from microsoft and ignored the Playstation. I'm now considering staying a customer again.

HOWEVER.... it sounds like PS+ and Sony's take on indie gaming is still making the Playstation more attractive.

I know I'm not paying for both a live and a PS+ subscription, so I'll wait a bit longer and see how the launch actually pans out of both consoles. I will say that anyone picking a 'team' yet is silly. Sony played the PR better so far, but that doesn't mean shit if the hardware in the PS4 doesn't actually work out as well in practice and all the exclusives land on Xbox (and vice versa)

Monocle

Duffyside

Banned
What in the world do you mean by "too late"?

The system does not launch until 5 months from now. By the time it launches, no one will even know or remember they even attempted this. It'll be business as usual. If anything, they were smart in changing it this quick.

Well, I'd argue against the "too little," but not against the "too late."

I have a bad feeling that if all this was implemented and planned for so long, there is a good chance it will be reimplemented in the future. Maybe little by little, maybe all at once with a big dashboard update, but I just don't trust MS. Then again, I haven't in a really long time.

methane47

It's a pretty non sensical meme to be honest.

The OS update that removes the DRM, online check in and all that wouldn't even exist yet.

Hmm that's not the point, its his attitude, treating joe like he's a child because he's making an assumption.

When in fact it looks like his assumption was soon on target.

It probably took longer to write the PR bullshit statement to accompany their decision than it took to write the code to disable the online check.

Glad MS saw sense. But I'm also glad how clearly this episode shone a light on the corporate apologists in the press, lapping up anti-consumer policies as 'the future'. There was some really despicable stuff on display.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Very good, so I can play Halo 5 and Dead Rising 3 and Below :D

My first Next-Gen Console remains the PS4 because of 399€, but I am very happy that MS did the right step.

Duffyside

Banned
I've purchased the last 2 consoles from microsoft and ignored the Playstation. I'm now considering staying a customer again.

HOWEVER.... it sounds like PS+ and Sony's take on indie gaming is still making the Playstation more attractive.

I know I'm not paying for both a live and a PS+ subscription, so I'll wait a bit longer and see how the launch actually pans out of both consoles. I will say that anyone picking a 'team' yet is silly. Sony played the PR better so far, but that doesn't mean shit if the hardware in the PS4 doesn't actually work out as well in practice and all the exclusives land on Xbox (and vice versa)

Eh, I don't think it's too early to "pick a team" at all, but then again it's not like I think once you've picked on you can't switch.

The PS4 is still more powerful, $100 cheaper, doesn't require a camera to be plugged-in (that part's still in, right?), has self-publishing, is adopting free-to-play models, and has already announced four free PS+ games. Bonus: Naughty Dog might be the best developer around.

This is truely magnificent news!

I'd like to thank all those involved in creating this movement for change. It would seem while Microsoft was resistant to listening to reason they were suddenly forced to listen once it affected their revenue prospects.

I do not believe any of this would have been possible if there was no coordination of outcry from dedicated gamers at a very early stage. It is this prompt action which created risk for Microsoft and casted doubt in their ability to establish a solid userbase as a foundation during the launch phase.

This is proof that voicing your concerns and voting with your wallet does work on a mass scale.

Congratulations to all those involved.

daniels

Nice still not gonna buy it. Microsoft only changed because they basically had to, if given the chance they would have fucked me over and I see no reason for them to not try it a second or third time in the future after gamers settled down or in the next next generations with new consoles. Forcing a asshole to be nice doesn’t mean he isn’t a asshole any more if you stop forcing him to be nice. Sadly I cant trust Microsoft to not try this shit again and again in the future.

avaya

Fair play MS. Genie is out of the bottle though, you can never trust MS. Saying that, it's good we will have genuine competition to Sony now, it will stop them trying to make further land grabs on PS+.

Also fucking lol at the delusionals who are sad about game sharing.

Also fucking lol at the delusionals who are sad about game sharing.

The idea of game sharing was kind of nice, actually. Being able to play a game that your friend owns at the same as he or she is playing it is a neat idea... Even if it would have been for Singleplayer games/modes only.

I'm sad that it's gone, but I'm much more happy now that The XB1 doesn't require an internet connection.

von zipp

For some reason I was hoping that if MS was going to change any policy it would be that all games would be digitally distributed only, and that physical discs would be no more.

the meltdowns would have been glorious.

ultrazilla

Let's see. MS still requires Kinect for the system to operate and
would not comment on if they would revert back to the DRM policies
in the future. Yeah, they can still fuck off.

madmackem

I know at least four people that will be won over by this, they had to do it and I think they had seen the preorder data to push them.

Nikodemos

It also dashes their PR about the way the system was designed from the ground up to have all games connected to the cloud, always online, etc. Just *poof*
That's a bigger point than at first glance. If they can simply say 'lol, j/k' about their online policy, they basically acknowledge that "Da powuh ov da clowdz!" is basically SimCity-style DRM bullshit, and those 'tree hunda towzan servurs!' are smoke and mirrors. It turns every single thing they said up to this point a falsehood.

Top Bottom