• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Q4: 1.1M XBO/360 Shipped

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
So the XBO shipped 600k max for the quarter. To be fair the 360 also sunk this low around this time of it's lifecycle. It came back to have a really good holiday quarter with 6.6m shipped. Dunno if MS is able to repeat that. I doubt it actually, but who knows.

Pulled a Sony?

MS has been doing the 360+Xbone shit and labeling it as "Xbox Ecosystem" since day 1.

Except for the past two quarters Microsoft has given specific Xbox 360 and Xbox One shipments in their financial results.

If they decide this random Q4 to consolidate the two...out of all of the quarters they could have picked...that would be quite odd. Usually Microsoft keeps with precedent in this type of situation.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
So in addition to the number they gave several months ago with the number of XB1s shipped, how many XB1s are we looking at shipped?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
We can assume that at least half was Xbox One shipments right? I doubt they would ship an equal amount of 360's and One's, or more 360's than One's.

They could easily ship more 360s than xb1s during the quarter depending on how stuffed the Xb1 channel is Vs the 360.

DieH@rd

Banned
Man, this is worse than even I expected.

It is true then that they have massively overshiped Xbone in previous quarters, and that even with 3 weeks of kinectless SKU sales, they haven't have large shipments of consoles to the stores. It looks like another proof that kinectelss SKU is NOT SELLING and that Xbone is still very far from a desirable console.

This is good for consumers, expect more aggressive sales pushing as they try to get rid of consoles not moving off the shelves.

SerTapTap

So Sony could be 2:1 world wide? Or am I wrong?

Aren't they almost 2:1 in US lately? And PS4 has better sales outside the US relative to Xbone. 2:1 seems possible. Wonder if Sony will release real numbers at Gamescom. They've gotta be waiting for 10 million at this point

Into

They shipped a ton of consoles, then started using shipped instead of sold as soon as the holiday season ended, because the sales were not satisfactory especially on a WW level. This blurred the line as sold vs. shipped as it usually does.

But eventually when you ship this much and the demand is not there, the stores stop ordering as many and well, you have a problem

Tratorn

So these were the shipments from 360 alone over the years in the same quarter:

2005/06 - 1.8
2006/07 - 0.7
2007/08 - 1.3
2008/09 - 1.2
2009/10 - 1.5
2010/11 - 1.7
2011/12 - 1.1
2012/13 - 1.0

Now it's 1.1m for both together. Doesn't look good at all.

So in addition to the number they gave several months ago with the number of XB1s shipped, how many XB1s are we looking at shipped?

3.9 million LTD worldwide shipped Xbox One consoles - As of December 31st, 2013

5.1 million LTD worldwide shipped Xbox One consoles - As of March 31st, 2014

<6 million LTD worldwide shipped Xbox One consoles - As of June 30th, 2014

All this release tell us (so far) is that Xbox One is probably still below 6 million.

Compare that to Sony's ~9 million.

GhaleonEB

Except for the past two quarters Microsoft has given specific Xbox 360 and Xbox One shipments in their financial results.

If they decide this random Q4 to consolidate the two...out of all of the quarters they could have picked...that would be quite odd. Usually Microsoft keeps with precedent in this type of situation.

They may have taken the roll out of the new reporting structure as an opportunity to set a new precedent. One that just happens obfuscate low XBO shipments this quarter.

So Sony could be 2:1 world wide? Or am I wrong?

September may push it to 2:1.

PS4 sales could be huge in September with that slick Destiny bundle and standalone White SKU. I'm predicting Maybe 400k+ that month in US alone. It might move the needle a bit in Japan too ... Maybe. WW could be in the 600k range or more for September.

Then October is DriveClub, Dragons Age and the GTAV bundle which again could be massive.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
How accurate are the xbox 360 numbers in the OP?

Microsoft already announced the 360 had sold 84 million so if they are accurate the xbox one's sales for the quarter were effectively zero.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
3.9 million LTD worldwide shipped Xbox One consoles - As of December 31st, 2013

5.1 million LTD worldwide shipped Xbox One consoles - As of March 31st, 2014

<6 million LTD worldwide shipped Xbox One consoles - As of June 30th, 2014

All this release tell us (so far) is that Xbox One is probably still below 6 million.

Compare that to Sony's ~9 million.

So, surely < 900,000 units shipped for One and > 200,000 for 360.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
They may have taken the roll out of the new reporting structure as an opportunity to set a new precedent. One that just happens to coincide with a very poor quarter for XBO shipments.

Just so happens.... Man you can always tell when things are bad when company starts hiding shipment data.

calder

The important thing is that they eventually use the phrase "Xbox family" in a release so the circle is complete.

They probably haven't even cracked 5 million sold to consumers yet. The units they shipped out last quarters are likely still sitting on shelves, why would retailers buy more of something that's not moving?

So the XBO shipped 600k max for the quarter. To be fair the 360 also sunk this low around this time of it's lifecycle. It came back to have a really good holiday quarter with 6.6m shipped. Dunno if MS is able to repeat that. I doubt it actually, but who knows.

False equivalency. The 360 shrunk because of supply issues, not because it wasn't selling.

Duxxy3

Man, this is worse than even I expected.

It is true then that they have massively overshiped Xbone in previous quarters, and that even with 3 weeks of kinectless SKU sales, they haven't have large shipments of consoles to the stores. It looks like another proof that kinectelss SKU is NOT SELLING and that Xbone is still very far from a desirable console.

You can throw out May shipments altogether. It sold poorly, and no stores were going to buy Kinect bundles.

I don't see how this small piece of information has any bearing on the kinectless bundle, or the desirability of the console.

JABEE

Microsoft already announced the 360 had sold 84 million so if they are accurate the xbox ones sales for the quarter were effectively zero.

Yeah. I wonder how many units the Xbox One shipped. If you were being optimistic you would hope that the Xbox One's shipments only dropped by half since last quarter.

Mrbob

Best estimates from the recent NPD thread is that the PS4 has a sold-through (as in to consumers, not retailers) of roughly 8 million units globally. I don't know what your metrics for "anywhere close to" is, but I'd say that's getting pretty close to 10 million.

8 million seems a bit low. Sony announced 7 million globally as of April 6. System sold around 660k in usa alone (April, May, June) and the share is a little better in europe. PS4 is probably north of 8.5 million now heading in towards 9 million sold by the end of July. If we assume Europe and USA share are 50/50 that would put sales at a minimum of 8.320 million at the end of June. So 8.320 million base line and then add in whatever else the PS4 has sold since then outside of the USA and Europe. The only thing that can throw this off is if European share somehow tanked.

PS4 should be closing in on 9 million by now, or will be by the end of July.

Edit: Aquamarine mentioning PS4 is close to 9 million.

Microsoft already announced the 360 had sold 84 million so if they are accurate the xbox ones sales for the quarter were effectively zero.

Well some people on this forum stated that it might be possible that the retailchannels are stuffed for good. So it seems possible to me that they actually didn´t sell any or ver few consoles to retail in Q4. But we´ll never know (?).

kswiston

Based on historical 360 sales, we're looking at what? 500-600k of that being 360?

500-600k for XBO in Q4 seems pretty poor to me.

Welfare

Wait, nevermind, I suck at math today. 300k for 360 at least. Xbox one could be 700k.

As a MSFT shareholder, I would definitely pull the plug on the Xbox console project and focus on mobile (high margins, growing segment)/PC gaming (complements their core products).

Top Bottom