• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Q4: 1.1M XBO/360 Shipped

These are bad numbers, but they aren't really unexpected, we know how they're selling in the US and we also know they're performing poorly in Europe.

It's a god damn shame we don't get proper numbers, with MS and Sony hiding their poor performers. Oh well.

fred

Is this good or bad?

It's very very bad.

We don't have any idea how many Xbox Ones are in homes worldwide but I can't see there being any more than 4.6m, if that. To put things into perspective this time last year the Wii U (as far as I remember, although I will stand to be corrected because my memory isn't so great!) sold around 3.5m and was being branded as a huge flop by all and sundry lol.

Microsoft's silence on actual sales is speaking volumes since the launch window period came and went.

Microsoft is burning through existing inventory in the retail channel instead of making more shipments. This is not a good situation to be in.
I guess that would make sense for them knowing they would be coming with a Kinectless SKU. No point shipping a heap of unsellable Kinect SKUs.

Steroyd

Based on historical 360 sales, we're looking at what? 500-600k of that being 360?

500-600k for XBO in Q4 seems pretty poor to me.

I wouldn't use historical sales as a measuring stick because sales for both PS3 and Xbox 360 are winding down to make way for the new boys.

Sounds to me like they channel stuffed those Kinect SKUs last quarter, and now they're waiting before throwing a load more into stores.
I expect MS will see some good numbers during the holiday season.

JaggedSac

As a MSFT shareholder, I would definitely pull the plug on the Xbox console project and focus on mobile (high margins, growing segment)/PC gaming (complements their core products).

Mobile margins are dropping fast. High growth segment of that market is low end devices.

Holy shit. I never understood it's this serious. This is like below Wii U, right?

Not even close.

Wii U Shipments:

1 month, 14 days: December 31st, 2012: 3.06 million
4 months, 14 days: March 31st, 2013: 3.45 million
7 months, 13 days: June 30th, 2013: 3.61 million
10 months, 13 days: September 30th, 2013: 3.91 million
1 year, 1 month, 14 days: December 31st, 2013: 5.86 million

Xbox One Shipments:

3.9 million LTD worldwide shipped Xbox One consoles - As of December 31st, 2013
5.1 million LTD worldwide shipped Xbox One consoles - As of March 31st, 2014
<6 million LTD worldwide shipped Xbox One consoles - As of June 30th, 2014

What took the Wii U 1 year to achieve, Xbox One achieved it in 7 months.

GhaleonEB

I think we just got the full context for the Kinect-less SKU. We'd seen the trends in the NPD and other data, but the shipment trajectory at the start of the quarter must have been pretty dire. And the new SKU didn't move the needle that much. Pretty rough position to be in.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How accurate are the xbox 360 numbers in the OP?

Microsoft already announced the 360 had sold 84 million so if they are accurate the xbox one's sales for the quarter were effectively zero.

Aren't the numbers shipped? So they could have shipped zero Xb1s for the whole quarter? Seems unlikely though?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Sounds to me like they channel stuffed those Kinect SKUs last quarter, and now they're waiting before throwing a load more into stores.
I expect MS will see some good numbers during the holiday season.
Holiday numbers are usually always fine. The off months are important as well.

Microsoft better drop the Kinect SKU to $399 and the non-Kinect SKU to $349, or offer a game+XBL Gold (1-yr) to entice people to buy their console.

But, in all honesty, the console gaming segment is plateauing in terms of growth, and it's a fairly low margin business all things considered. I would pull out, or sell to a Samsung/Amazon, if I were them.

USC-fan

Banned
The drop YOY for the 360 last quarter was about 38%.

The 360 would be at around 650K shipped if it had the same drop this quarter YOY.

That is just a guess. I'm not sure what the actual drip YOY is.

This would indicate that the Xbox One sales could have been cut almost in half from quarter to quarter in a seasonal schedule that does not typically display significant changes in unit sales.
titanfall came out in this quater right? X360 might had shipped more.

ascii42

Well some people on this forum stated that it might be possible that the retailchannels are stuffed for good. So it seems possible to me that they actually didn´t sell any or ver few consoles to retail in Q4. But we´ll never know (?).

If 360 was at 83.7 million prior to this past quarter, then they must have shipped at least 300k 306s, right? But we have no idea how many more.

prag16

Banned
That might not be QUITE as bad as it sounds considering they had likely done a bunch of previous channel stuffing with the xbone. But no matter how you slice it it's a bad situation to be in. I think Wii U's numbers in the first half of 2013 were worse... but not by much.

EDIT: Okay, I forgot just how bad the Wii U numbers were Apr-Jun last year. So that probably still qualifies as "much worse" even though these xbone numbers are also bad.

ethomaz

Banned
They overshipped last quarter (did that in 2013 too)... so Xbone shipment are really below 6 million.

My guesses? 4.8m max sold to consumers... can be crazy less.

How accurate are the xbox 360 numbers in the OP?

Microsoft already announced the 360 had sold 84 million so if they are accurate the xbox one's sales for the quarter were effectively zero.

Hmm, I guess so. But MS must have shipped at least 250k Kinectless boxes worldwide. I'm not suire they shipped any other models as they were already talking about drawdown and had a surplus of Titanfall bundles, and the pre-titanfall boxes that had been hanging around too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think we just got the full context for the Kinect-less SKU. We'd seen the trends in the NPD and other data, but the shipment trajectory at the start of the quarter must have been pretty dire. And the new SKU didn't move the needle that much. Pretty rough position to be in.

Not sure what you do tbh. Maybe best to just dig in for the long haul. Get the games out there to bring people in, and reduce price as time goes on. They've never been up against a strong brand with a strong value proposition head to head like this - there aren't any easy options that don't involve Nadella writing a huge cheque (which they are unlikely to do)

This is their 'prove yourself' generation, like Sony had last gen with PS3. Show us it is worth buying, show us you won't go back on the DRM, show us you won't stop investing in a broad range of quality first party titles after three years.

Not even close.

Wii U Shipments:

1 month, 14 days: December 31st, 2012: 3.06 million
4 months, 14 days: March 31st, 2013: 3.45 million
7 months, 13 days: June 30th, 2013: 3.61 million
10 months, 13 days: September 30th, 2013: 3.91 million
1 year, 1 month, 14 days: December 31st, 2013: 5.86 million

Xbox One Shipments:

3.9 million LTD worldwide shipped Xbox One consoles - As of December 31st, 2013
5.1 million LTD worldwide shipped Xbox One consoles - As of March 31st, 2014
<6 million LTD worldwide shipped Xbox One consoles - As of June 30th, 2014

What took the Wii U 1 year to achieve, Xbox One achieved it in 7 months.

Well, it's not actually far off either. That's just terribad.

offshore

They have to start doing something about Europe. Anything.

Start giving it away. lol. EU will be a huge drag on Xbone unless they do something drastic. Xbox 360 shows the market, while granted not as big as PS3, is there for Xbox in the EU.

Mrbob

I think MS will be ok in the USA and UK. It is everywhere else that is a problem though.

kswiston

I wouldn't use historical sales as a measuring stick because sales for both PS3 and Xbox 360 are winding down to make way for the new boys.

Well, I was looking at the 800k figure for last quarter and looking at the typical drop for Q4. Why would MS go from shipping 800k 360s in Jan-Mar and then something super low like 200k in Apr-Jun. It will still be a more gradual drop off

Nadella eventually killing Xbox is slightly closer to possible.

We'll get a better picture after Holiday 2014 where Xbox stands.

If Xbox One seriously bombs over the holiday, Mr. Nadella will be less enthusiastic than if it rebounds...but Mr. Nadella is still fully committed for the near future.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Aren't the numbers shipped? So they could have shipped zero Xb1s for the whole quarter? Seems unlikely though?

It is net sales. If they had to buy back kinnect SKUs it would reduce overall sales.

These are official figures from Microsoft themselves. All numbers from here

http://www.microsoft.com/investor/default.aspx

I have been looking through those and can't find any mistakes in the table. Someone should double check, zero sales is hard to believe.

Jigolo

No one can say for sure but from all the information gathered so far is LTD sale around 5 million for XBone?

Top Bottom