• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft says it’s starting to test ads inside the Start menu on Windows 11

Puscifer

Has there been any pushback from the press and usual YouTubers yet?

I use MacOS as my daily driver, and Ubuntu on all my servers and it's great having far more control over what your systems are actually doing. I have a Windows system for games, and specifically I'm running ReviOS which is pretty solid.
Thanks for letting me know about ReviOS. I've been using different privacy tools for a while, Linux is great for my usage but fucking Nvidia is killing me with their driver support otherwise I would've dumped it already. This seems like a great option so I'm not doing a bunch of workarounds.

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
If you ever need to de-bloat Windows 10 or 11, use a de-bloater tool, it turns mostly everything off (telemetry, windows store, apps, etc). Helps quite a bit.

LOL why even mess with Linux in 2024, just use Mac OS

Bro just Google for 'massgrave' have fun pls don't ban me mods

Ab0TVNZ.jpg

Rest in Peace Soldier

BlackTron

This inevitable slippery slope is why the only reason I have a fully updated Windows PC is as a dedicated gaming machine. I just switch monitor inputs when I want to play a game and have a different computer entirely for anything else. Allowing me to completely ignore everything I hate about modern Windows.

Back on 95/98, I don't think too many people felt the need to keep a 3.1 rig going lol

nemiroff

Gold Member
All this drama and no one (?) bothered to mention it takes a mere click to turn it off?

With that said, I'm not generally happy about opt-out practices.. It started seeing ads in my Samsung TV menus a couple of years ago and I remember popping a vein or two until I managed to turn it off..

Go_Ly_Dow

Evilore could strike a deal and mandate all GAF avatars have to be ads. He'd make a fortune.

My Chrono Cross avatar could be the Mcdonalds M instead or the KFC colonel.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
All this drama and no one (?) bothered to mention it takes a mere click to turn it off?

With that said, I'm not generally happy about opt-out practices.. It started seeing ads in my Samsung TV menus a couple of years ago and I remember popping a vein or two until I managed to turn it off..

Much of NeoGAF is exaggerated drama.

Pejo

Much of NeoGAF is exaggerated drama.
Well the other way to look at it is the "give an inch, they take a mile" viewpoint. Remember when everybody said "horse armor dlc is no big deal, just don't buy it!" and look how bad DLC/lootboxes/season passes/battle passes are today.

Then again this bothers me more than most, probably. I had to block traffic on my router to stop ads on my smart TV's OS. I have very little patience for intrusive ads in places that they shouldn't be.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Well the other way to look at it is the "give an inch, they take a mile" viewpoint. Remember when everybody said "horse armor dlc is no big deal, just don't buy it!" and look how bad DLC/lootboxes/season passes/battle passes are today.

Then again this bothers me more than most, probably. I had to block traffic on my router to stop ads on my smart TV's OS. I have very little patience for intrusive ads in places that they shouldn't be.

But in this case it said right in the article that it could be turned off. And at the moment it's only turned on in beta versions. At the moment the whole thing is much ado about nothing.

SoloCamo

At the moment the whole thing is much ado about nothing.
At the moment is them just testing the waters. They will be here in the next major update and while able to toggle off for now, I can almost guarantee with the Home versions in the future it will not be removable without a third party fix.

Last edited:
Top Bottom