• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft seeking staff for next-gen Xbox

Mrbob

StevieP said:
Not with Sony presumably targetting 2013 and Nintendo presumably targetting 2012.

MS is going to launch 2 years later than Sony? That would be crazy. They'll lose all the market share they gained with 360.

RedSwirl

whitehawk said:
Every console next gen will have a hard drive bro.

I hope every SKU of every next gen console has a hard drive, if for no other reason than for the sake of the developers.

RedSwirl

FoneBone said:
I find it really hard to believe that Microsoft wouldn't want to launch Kinect 2 simultaneously with their new console, but what do I know...

I'd be kinda surprised of Kinect wasn't just a built-in part of the next console.

StevieP

Banned
RedSwirl said:
I'd be kinda surprised of Kinect wasn't just a built-in part of the next console.

I'm quite certain Kinect 2.0 will be the default control standard for Microsoft next gen.

Sethos

Banned
RedSwirl said:

People need to stop with that built-in, there's like a million cases where it'd render it useless for users if you have to have an unobstructed view to the console. It needs to be separate.

StevieP

Banned
Sethos said:
People need to stop with that built-in, there's like a million cases where it'd render it useless for users if you have to have an unobstructed view to the console. It needs to be separate.

No, it will be bundled with a motion controller as well.

FoneBone

Sethos said:
I think by "built in" he actually means bundled.

StevieP said:
I'm quite certain Kinect 2.0 will be the default control standard for Microsoft next gen.
Not a chance of that happening. Would alienate tens of millions of customers. Kinect 2.0 will be an option (probably built-in or bundled from the start).

2014-2015 sounds good to me. This gives 3D glasses-free TVs more chance to develop and become mainstream consumer-ready products. There are only just working prototypes out now.

StevieP

Banned
Heavy said:
Not a chance of that happening. Would alienate tens of millions of customers. Kinect 2.0 will be an option (probably built-in or bundled from the start).

2014-2015 sounds good to me. This gives 3D glasses-free TVs more chance to develop and become mainstream consumer-ready products. There are only just working prototypes out now.

It would alienate people? Really?

Like it or not, motion control in some form is going to be the standard next gen - across the board. In what form it will appear in on the Xbox, nobody knows. But the millions upon millions of dollars sunk into Kinect make a compelling suggestion.

As for glasses-free TVs that are large enough to be placed in a home theatre by 2014? Not going to happen. The current 20" models can't even properly allow 2 people to view the 3D. There was even a recent thread on this topic here.

get2sammyb said:
That guy hasn't even finished his degree yet. Nor does he have any experience other than a 14-week internship at Intel. Are we really supposed to believe he's played a part in designing the next XBOX?

http://www.benpeterson2.com/167375/About

Turns out you were right.

Eurogamer said:
UPDATE: Ben Peterson, the design student whose web portfolio is at the centre of the next Xbox in 2015 story currently doing the rounds on the internet, has confirmed to Eurogamer that it's all fake. "I'm a student designer, it's not real..." he told us.

DirectX

Neo Member
sorry if old

new xbox 2015 per this designer portfolio

http://gizmodo.com/#!5783953/industrial-designer-dates-new-xbox-for-2015

StevieP

Banned
DirectX said:
sorry if old

new xbox 2015 per this designer portfolio

http://gizmodo.com/#!5783953/industrial-designer-dates-new-xbox-for-2015

Eek. Read above. 2015 is too late, but I could see Microsoft looking at late 2013 or early 2014 as a realistic date, considering their current Kinect push and recently revealing the hiring of people to do the next console in the last month.

camineet said:
It'd be awesome if Microsoft went for a dual-GPU solution for Xbox3 but it probably won't happen.

What do you mean by dual-GPU? Two discrete chips? Or multiple GPU cores? Because I'm pretty sure the latter will happen. Of course, maybe it won't even have a dedicated GPU, depends on how trend projections align with the launch time frame.

alphaNoid

Banned
Heavy said:

Agreed. Kinect 2.0 will not be the main control whatsoever but it will be included in every SKU. Also HDDs will be in every SKU as well.

I expect some awesome looking games but until game engines are further optimized we're still going to see sub 60FPS and screen tearing since devs will be trying their best to push the limit in order to cause buzz and hype.

Either way, I'm on board. I've always been a PC gamer only but this gen I got a 360 as well and it compliments my PC gaming perfectly. Plus my wife loves playing games all over again.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
StevieP said:

Not going to happen.

1- it limits the games that can be played.
2- it alienates the vast majority of people who would buy the system.
3- Microsoft would be much happier to make you buy kinect2.0 at a later date rather than giving it to you standard then making you but a traditional controller.

Imagine how bad it would be if games next gen came out with special packaging saying "hand controller required". Ugh. Horrible.

RaijinFY

camineet said:
It'd be awesome if Microsoft went for a dual-GPU solution for Xbox3 but it probably won't happen.

Why? The only thing you would achieve with that is a thousand dollar game machine...

GavinGT

Banned
The next gen can only be worse than this one. I honestly don't care if we ever get new consoles, as it's only going to result in more sequels, more studio closures, and less creativity as developers struggle more and more to eek out a profit.

camineet

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
What do you mean by dual-GPU? Two discrete chips? Or multiple GPU cores? Because I'm pretty sure the latter will happen. Of course, maybe it won't even have a dedicated GPU, depends on how trend projections align with the launch time frame.

I meant two descrete GPUs like Antillies, but more powerful and more modern by 2013 standards.

TheOddOne

3 new joblistings (1,2,3) at Microsoft mention:
We are small “startup” team helping to define, shape, and build the next generation of gaming and entertainment for Microsoft. Our team embraces the challenge of charting new courses, experimenting with new ideas, and pioneering new experiences that redefine entertainment in the living room to enrich the lives of our users. In building these experiences we will be leading the charge for MGS into new territories, but we will also be working with other teams across IEB to help define the overall ecosystem for next-generation entertainment from Microsoft. Ultimately this work will culminate with the building (and shipping) of new titles that showcase these new experiences. We ship what we innovate.

We are seeking in candidates that crave working in a startup environment and work well with a small and tight-knit team , are comfortable embracing ambiguity and risk, have a zest for innovation and new ideas, and have a solid track record of delivering on challenging commitments.

Knowledge of game engines (Unity, Unreal), C++, and graphics is a must. Working with different types of game play mechanics is also highly desired.
More feul for the fire I guess.

traind

The next gen console release dates probably aren't even decided deep within the secret halls of Sony and Microsoft.

Both companies are investing in R&D, have a strategic plan that lays out the roadmap etc. but the actual dates are subject to change. Why? Two main reasons: 1) the global economy and 2) the competition.

1) Economic recovery is required to launch a new $400-600 box yet no one knows how long that will take.

2) The last console transition point taught many lessons to the companies involved. It is clear that one lesson was simplified controllers creates casual consumers and helps win the living room. We have seen both Sony and MS learn from that and respond with big plays of their own. Another lesson that will not have been lost on MS and Sony is that being first to market with the expensive box for the hardcore gamers gains you market share. That issue cost Sony big-time last go-round as they dropped huge market share to MS with hard core gamers-- the same people who buy the most software and thus are the most profitable long term. It wasn't all rosy for MS as they launched with a rrod issue that eventually cost them over a billion dollars. Both companies will be looking to either launch first or to at least minimize the gap between their launch and the competition. So, both companies are watching each other closely for signs of the others strategy so they don't come late to the party.

Speculation is fun, but the corporate suits are doing the same thing-- just with a lot more riding on it and they are getting paid :). For my guess, I say 2013 or maybe it will slip into 2014. Why? Most people are happy right now-- console makers are profitable, developers understand the hardware, most gamers are content. This, combined with a slow economic recovery makes 2012 look a bit early. Many people are throwing around 2015 but I think that is late and either Sony or MS will be anxious to try to own the next generation launch before then... rather than risk launching second.

StevieP

Banned
Personally I think it's way too late for them to be starting this game, and 2014 is way too late for new consoles considering how much modern game engines are already strugling with new games being toned down as the result (though I'm sure Nintendo's eyeing 2012).

[Nintex]

I expect Microsoft to roll out the entire 'eco system' in 2012, Windows 8, Xbox 3 and whatever they've got cooking. It's going to skyrocket their stocks. Xbox next-generation teaser is also gonna make everyone shit their pants this E3.

SPEA

TheOddOne said:

Hmmm. If they're just ramping up for this now I think we're at least a year and a half out.

My guess, announce at E3 2012. Release console 2013. We shall see though.

StevieP

Banned
[Nintex] said:
I expect Microsoft to roll out the entire 'eco system' in 2012, Windows 8, Xbox 3 and whatever they've got cooking. It's going to skyrocket their stocks. Xbox next-generation teaser is also gonna make everyone shit their pants this E3.

You really expect this after their recent (current) platform refresh while it's selling OK? I'd say you're dreaming.

TheOddOne said:

A new development studio focused on next gen games, then?

SPEA said:
My guess, announce at E3 2012. Release console 2013. We shall see though.

Only if they don't want to launch in the holiday period. Announcing a new platform a year and a half in advance sounds too much to me. I still think it's going to be an E3 2013 reveal, with some information leaking out in 2012.

[Nintex]

StevieP said:
You really expect this after their recent (current) platform refresh while it's selling OK? I'd say you're dreaming.
It doesn't look like Sony's ready to respond, they'll focus on the NGP first. Nintendo has pretty much lost all third party support on the console side. They can bring Kinect and Xbox Live along with them. They're not going to sit and wait for Nintendo to release a console that may or may not be better than theirs. Third party devs can just expand on their current high-end tech. Take Crysis 2 for example, framerate barely holds up on consoles.

MS's Xbox Division now has the money and popularity and mindshare to kick it into overdrive before MS shareholders regain their memory and recall the money they dumped into the Xbox and Zune brands.

TheOddOne

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
A new development studio focused on next gen games, then?
Or its just developers that help existing internal and external studios. Microsoft has lend out people to work on first-party published games before. MGS has bulked up a lot recently, from beginning 2010 till now they have hired over a 100 people for internal and external development.

JaggedSac

Hmm...sounds like the Live ecosystem will be getting some changes for the next generation and these guys are going to be coming up with titles to take advantage of them. Platform launch titles will need a little more time than Kinect launch titles so I would think in the 18 month range as well. Unless they are going to convert some current projects into ones for the next platform.

H_Prestige said:
And what's the point of getting into the living room?

There was a time when people seriously considered set top boxes (like your cable box, the ps2, web tv, etc) as the replacement to the PC. Microsoft wanted/needed a presence here in case that happened, thus the Xbox.

They also had a product called UltimateTV that was a hybrid Tivo and WebTV box. They canned that fairly quickly once it was obvious that market was a dead end.

For a variety of reasons, this never really panned out. It's seeming more like phones (and by extension, tablets) will be for the casual user.

TheOddOne

Program Manager listing:
IEB Studios is looking for a seasoned Principal Program Manager to build a sustainable prototyping program for core gaming experiences on future generation hardware, software, and service platforms. This role will create and run the program that incubates our technical strategy, validates the product roadmap, and produces content that seeds the 1st and 3rd party ecosystems with tools and technology to get a head start on future generation content experiences.

Specific accountabilities and expectations for this role are:
  • Lead the definition of core content value proposition for future generation platforms, secure funding for the prototyping program, and work with other teams within IEB Studios
  • Ensure the prototyping program is funded and executed properly to validate technical direction and drive product differentiation in future platforms.
  • Facilitate integration and alignment of core technical and product strategies with other MGS teams and ISS; develop strategies that are compatible with those of other groups, identify and manage dependencies and resolve issues of nonalignment.
  • Build excitement for the next gen core strategy and status to all stakeholders, highlight progress toward goals and manage significant risks and roadblocks.

Specifically deliver prototypes for the following scenarios:
  • Cloud-connected experiences for content streaming, rendering, and remote computational resources.
  • Multiplayer scaling up to MMO scale experiences.
  • Performance (visual and computational) validation of future generation platforms.
  • Future generation Core + Kinect scenarios.
  • Business intelligence and analytics for future generation content experiences.
Essential qualifications:

• [*] Prior experience shipping new gaming platforms or content for new gaming platforms.
  • A demonstrated ability to come up-to-speed quickly on new technical domains.
  • Passion for technology and expanding the role of gaming and entertainment.
  • Demonstrated ability to come up with creative and realistic solutions to highly ambiguous problems.
  • Several years of Program Management leadership and product leadership experience across multiple releases.
  • Demonstrated ability to work and thrive within a cross-group collaboration heavy environment.
Damn, that sounds nice.

Manmademan said:
There was a time when people seriously considered set top boxes (like your cable box, the ps2, web tv, etc) as the replacement to the PC. Microsoft wanted/needed a presence here in case that happened, thus the Xbox.

They also had a product called UltimateTV that was a hybrid Tivo and WebTV box. They canned that fairly quickly once it was obvious that market was a dead end.

For a variety of reasons, this never really panned out. It's seeming more like phones (and by extension, tablets) will be for the casual user.

Exactly. Consoles aren't going to replace computers for the casual consumers. Smartphones and tablets will.

So now that the word is out that nintendo is unveiling there next generation console at e3 will Microsoft show there hand as well or hold off a few months?

Doffen

Anticitizen One said:
So now that the word is out that nintendo is unveiling there next generation console at e3 will Microsoft show there hand as well or hold off a few months?

I do believe Microsoft wants to be early out this upcoming gen. How early I do not know. But E3 2011 seems like “The Place 2 Be”.

Anticitizen One said:

I wouldn't expect any sort of announcement until next year at the earliest. I would be shocked to see something at this E3.

If the Wii 2 gets an early 2012 release like rumored, then it's going to likely have a head-start on MS and Sony next-gen consoles which I think will be out Fall 2013. MS and Sony still have a lot invested in this current-gen, and they probably aren't ready to let it go just yet.

TheOddOne

People are crazy to think they might say something in 2011, they are still hiring for key-positions. Although, it could be well in production if 360 slim is any indictation.

Top Bottom