• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft seeking staff for next-gen Xbox

Bulzeeb

Hi guys, just wanted to tell you that this site was talking abut the next windows OS and ended saying this quote

It went on to break down just what that implies:

[...] Microsoft’s next next OS will run on PCs, tablets, phones, and the next-gen Xbox when it hits sometime in 2015 / 2016..

source: http://thenextweb.com/

Bulzeeb said:
Hi guys, just wanted to tell you that this site was talking abut the next windows OS and ended saying this quote

[...] Microsoft’s next next OS will run on PCs, tablets, phones, and the next-gen Xbox when it hits sometime in 2015 / 2016..

Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhat.

Maybe it will come as an update. No way they wait until 2015 for a new Xbox.

I'm hoping for a 2013 launch. With WiiU next year, I think that would be perfect. We could see hardware, and a tech demo and light details next E3. Then the following year have a full on release of info and games to be launched that holiday.

I'd be okay with it not coming until 2014 but that is the absolute latest. 10 years would just be way too long.

HenryGale said:
I'm hoping for a 2013 launch. With WiiU next year, I think that would be perfect. We could see hardware, and a tech demo and light details next E3. Then the following year have a full on release of info and games to be launched that holiday.

I'd be okay with it not coming until 2014 but that is the absolute latest. 10 years would just be way too long.

I don't think it matters as long as they launch at the same time as Sony.

Momo

Banned
Bulzeeb said:

Speculation

Redmond would eventually have just a “single ecosystem” for PCs, phones, tablets, and even the TV. “You can have full PC compute power available in whatever form factor you like,” said Lees, noting that the Windows on ARM demo motherboards were smaller than mobile phones. “We won’t have an ecosystem for PCs, and one for phones, and one for tablets — they’ll all come together.” Lees went on to say that Microsoft wants to provide “coherence and consistency” across different devices, “particularly with Xbox,” and that the goal isn’t just to share UI, but also core technologies like Internet Explorer.
Interesting none the less.

Bulzeeb

Krev said:
10 year lifespan yeeeeeeaaaaaah!

just like the ps3 baby, anyways if this are really news maybe one of you could start a new thread with the info, I am a junior so i can't create new topics :p

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
So maybe there really is another Halo trilogy coming to Xbox 360 and they hired Corrine Yu to squeeze out as much from 2005 tech as possible.

Ding

Krev said:
10 year lifespan yeeeeeeaaaaaah!
I've got no problem with the 360 continuing to be sold as a cheap kinectbox for another five years. That sounds like a pretty good way to compete with the Wii 2. But, it would be crazy to delay the 720 past 2013.

I'm hoping/wishing for a 2012 launch, but I figure/fear we're gonna have to wait another year after that.

Bulzeeb

Ding said:
I've got no problem with the 360 continuing to be sold as a cheap kinectbox for another five years. That sounds like a pretty good way to compete with the Wii 2. But, it would be crazy to delay the 720 past 2013.

I'm hoping/wishing for a 2012 launch, but I figure/fear we're gonna have to wait another year after that.

yeah, I can picture the next x-box and playstation for 2013, 2015 seems really crazy

haha 2015/2016, why give Nintendo/Sony 3/4 year head start, and then Nintendo/Sony make enough money to have a console stronger then the 360 successor a couple years after? makes no sense.

Tagg9

That site doesn't seem very legit to me. Could be they were told that the next Xbox "is years away", and they took that to mean 4 years+.

Bulzeeb said:

While I usually trust Topolsky and his staff when it comes to rumors, I don't think they have the date for the next box right. Today should be the podcast, will be interesting what else Patel has to say.

Momo

Banned
Tagg9 said:
That site doesn't seem very legit to me. Could be they were told that the next Xbox "is years away", and they took that to mean 4 years+.
They're basing their speculation on the launch period of Windows 8, which is pretty silly since the xbob can have the same base services/UI as W8 even if it launches before W8.

As i understand it the UI and what they plan to integrate into W8 is already very far along, building a console OS around that wont be so hard, nor do they need to wait for W8 to launch as they can patch in things they add to W8 the xbob lacks.

Tagg9 said:
This is my next is run by the former Engadget staff. They're far more legit than your usual gaming site.
They're basing their speculation on the launch period of Windows 8, which is pretty silly since the xbob can have the same base services/UI as W8 even if it launches before W8.

As i understand it the UI and what they plan to integrate into W8 is already very far along, building a console OS around that wont be so hard, nor do they need to wait for W8 to launch as they can patch in things they add to W8 the xbob lacks.

The rumor is based on the next windows, not Windows 8. That's coming out sometime next year.

Broman1978

IF They gonna wait until 2015 they better stop this Kinect obsession and start working/releasing some REAL hardcore games! If not my 360 goes after I´m finished/tired of Gears 3 and Forza 4!

Broman1978 said:
IF They gonna wait until 2015 they better stop this Kinect obsession and start working/releasing some REAL hardcore games! If not my 360 goes after I´m finished/tired of Gears 3 and Forza 4!
WHAT ABOUT HALO 4!? Super hardcore game right there.

Momo

Banned
brotkasten said:
The rumor is based on the next windows, not Windows 8. That's coming out sometime next year.
So Win 8 + 1? My point is still valid, they don't need to wait for an Os launch if they already have it conceptualized.

goodfella

Interesting... If the next xbox was to have the windows operating system, then that would mean an xbox live system for the whole of the windows ecosystem.
Perhaps that is what they are talking about when they say that windows 8 is gong to have a larger focus on gaming.

goodfella said:
Interesting... If the next xbox was to have the windows operating system, then that would mean an xbox live system for the whole of the windows ecosystem.
Perhaps that is what they are talking about when they say that windows 8 is gong to have a larger focus on gaming.
They're saying that with every new windows release.

StevieP

Banned
Broman1978 said:

You're forgetting Gears 4 and Forza 5.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
2015 for the next Xbox sounds perfectly reasonable. I don't think consumers care about more powerful consoles right now. They want new gameplay experiences like Kinect and Wii U, not better graphics.

A lot of what sony or ms do for next gen will depend on the other.

i dont believe either can give the other more than a year headstart.

so, if ms really plans to bring out xb3 in 2015, that goes out the toilet if ps4 hits in 2012 for example. they'll need to rush something out then.

same goes for vice versa.

So just saying, any long term "plans" are shaky. Heck even the Wii U probably put a little scare in them, though it doesn't look to be all that scary currently.

Futureman

iamshadowlark said:
I cant read that article at work but could they be possibly talking about windows 8 hitting in 2015?

I believe the article is speculating that Windows 9 would be coming in 2015-2016.

This neatly falls right at the 10 year point for the 360, which MS has mentioned before, correct?

So MS is saying starting w/ Windows 9, every device will use the same OS. (no speculation here, this is straight from MS).

Thisismynext puts it all together and is speculating that this means XBox Next will come out in 2015.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
StevieP said:
PS4 is launching late 2012 if AMD meets their targets.
I know what you're talking about and why you think that, but I wouldn't bet any money on that. More than likely that's a plan in case WiiU proves to be wildly successful and MS decides to launch at that time. They have to have something in R&D for that scenario. I cannot see why else they'd bother (or MS for that matter). State of GPUs right now is not such that some kind of magnitudinal improvement can be done in consoles, and without that what's the point, they can just keep abusing the existing hardware for as long as people are willing to buy it.

Ushojax said:
2015 for the next Xbox sounds perfectly reasonable. I don't think consumers care about more powerful consoles right now. They want new gameplay experiences like Kinect and Wii U, not better graphics.

Who are they, seriously, I don't know a single person with a 360 irl who is interested in kinect, not one.

StevieP

Banned
Lord Error said:
I know what you're talking about and why you think that, bu I wouldn't bet any money on that. More than likely that's a plan in case WiiU proves to be wildly successful and MS decides to launch at that time. They have to have something in R&D for that scenario. I cannot see why else they'd bother (or MS for that matter). State of GPUs right now is not such that some kind of magnitudinal improvement can be done in consoles, and without that what's the point, they can just keep abusing the existing hardware for as long as people are willing to buy it.

A mid-range part in a console (which would be all that console manufacturers can put inside any consoles made before 2015, because the high-end GPUs eat too much power and produce too much heat at this point in time) would still spank the shit out of Xenox, and especially RSX. Even what will be a mid-range AMD part inside the WiiU will spank them.

This thread has my thought summary in regards to the 2012 launch that I speak of, complete with an AMD engineer fuelling as much as he can while under NDA. My summary is on page 7 (of "what we know based on ____")

SneakyStephan said:
Who are they, seriously, I don't know a single person with a 360 irl who is interested in kinect, not one.
Usually people who don't have an Xbox yet and buy a new one with Kinect. Or do you believe Microsoft sold 10M+ Kinect as add-ons?

leadbelly

Banned
Not bothered. I won't be getting the next Microsoft console. I got fucked off with them constantly trying to screw me over.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
They need more Japanese staff, and some people who know how to correctly solder pcbs because I don't want overheating problems again.

SneakyStephan said:

Perhaps you need to get more friends. In terms of "interest," I'd say half the people I know are interested in it, most of them "hardcore gamers."

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
JaxJag said:
What are the Japanese staff going to do? Help make their next console a pain to develop for?

That was a choice of programming utilities, Microsoft chose their own simple to code for Direct X 10, while Sony chose Open GL to avoid paying fees.

As it so happens everyone is familiar with Direct X 10 (very similar to c(+,++), and not Open GL 3.1, which is why some developers become lazy when they develop for the PS3.

Bayonetta is a prime example of how a developer can opt to take the less time consuming route.

I don't blame Platinum Games though, they were on a tight budget.

Mrbob

My first thought is 2015 being too far away, but we are already going into uncharted territory this generation. Software publishers do not want new hardware right now as costs will rise and they are finally starting to make a profit this generation. MS could be in a strange position too, as Kinect has been successful and they might not want to cut this money stream off short either. It is possible MS could concede a first mover advantage to Sony to make more money right now, but this could be a bad long term mistake.

StevieP

Banned
SMT said:
That was a choice of programming utilities, Microsoft chose their own simple to code for Direct X 10, while Sony chose Open GL to avoid paying fees.

As it so happens everyone is familiar with Direct X 10 (very similar to c(+,++), and not Open GL 3.1, which is why some developers become lazy when they develop for the PS3.

Bayonetta is a prime example of how a developer can opt to take the less time consuming route.

I don't blame Platinum Games though, they were on a tight budget.

No. Cell's SPUs.

Mrbob said:
My first thought is 2015 being too far away, but we are already going into uncharted territory this generation. Software publishers do not want new hardware right now as costs will rise and they are finally starting to make a profit this generation. MS could be in a strange position too, as Kinect has been successful and they might not want to cut this money stream off short either. It is possible MS could concede a first mover advantage to Sony to make more money right now, but this could be a bad long term mistake.

Dont really think so art assets are already made in higher res then current console can handle. And more power means more opportunities to do stuff the dev teams envision.
i'll give it to 2013 no new console announced by then im going pc exclusive.
The current gen was already old last year and with wait increasing that would mean a 15 year console cycle no thanks.

And pc gaming needs next gen to start asap to finally let the devs drop dx9 level of rendering.

Frankfurt

Banned
SneakyStephan said:

The Guinness Book says there's a couple people interested.

And since you bring up anecdotal evidence, I've had my mom, who doesn't even watch tv, ask about a "videogame where people move around", I've had multiple kids at school talk about seeing it and asking if I had it and even two other teachers (a guy who's almost 40 and doesn't play games, and a woman that does) asking me about it. I didn't ask them about Kinect, they brought it up.

Frankfurt said:
The Guinness Book says there's a couple people interested.

And since you bring up anecdotal evidence, I've had my mom, who doesn't even watch tv, ask about a "videogame where people move around", I've had multiple kids at school talk about seeing it and asking if I had it and even two other teachers (a guy who's almost 40 and doesn't play games, and a woman that does) asking me about it. I didn't ask them about Kinect, they brought it up.
I was responding to the guy claiming that people are only interested in motion controls n stuff.

The sample of users I'm familiar with certainly don't suggest that this is the case.
If you have to turn that into the other extreme then that is up to you for not being able to do some basic comprehensive reading.

You can name a few people who are interested or curious about it (and didn't necessarily follow up on that curiosity with a purchase, bringing up something they see on tv as a conversational tool with someone who shares interest in the subject is called small talk) so that makes console gamers happy with kinect and a yearly forza/halo update for 4 more years?

That's quite a stretch of logic you seem to be so agressively defending.
DIGNIFY my new fad or I will rage at you with the power of a thousand suns, right?

Try to process the gist of what I'm saying before furiously typing up a biting retort.

Top Bottom