• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft sells Mediaroom, Xbox to be their TV strategy going forward

DaBoss

Well what does this mean for their reveal? Is it going to focus on games or is it going to focus on the media center aspects?

"It allows Microsoft to commit 100 percent of its focus on consumer TV strategy with Xbox."

Microsoft is so fucking done
350147429.jpg

L1NETT

Those extra features tend to be US-centric or worse, US-only.

As a European none of those extra features beyond gaming have any attraction for me.

So much this.

Not only do not appear to be gaming focused, but if the last few years are anything to go by, they will be US focused too.

Very worried for the nextbox.

We believe the future of home entertainment is one where TV becomes more simple, tailored and intelligent. We believe the best is yet to come for this industry.

Our vision and energy for the future of entertainment is more focused than ever. Stay tuned.

Makes me uneasy.

You do realize that people watch and consume "entertainment" more than play games on Xbox and Playstation?

Evidence? For some reason you don't think Sony will match these offerings? You do realize they are both fighting to be the center of your living room right?

You do realize that the x-box and playstation are game consoles yes? Any attempt to focus more on videos/music than games will only end up hurting the consoles primary base.

Is it a good business decision for them? It may be, but it's a bad one for the game industry. I never once mentioned Sony NOT fighting this same fight.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
You can have all the multimedia features in the world. I find nothing wrong with this and hell yea I'm interested.

But this is sopose to be about games Microsoft. Isn't that why you got into the business to begin with? Weren't the founding fathers of Xbox hardcore gamers themselves?

Should All these rumors about not playing used games, always online required, and watching tv on this is true, it makes me sad as a gamer.

It looks like sony is getting it right this time. After all it's called the playstation.

A station to play games.

jwk94

your video games will now have commercials. ;)
Just like WIPEOUTHD. Anyway, I'm a playstation gamer most of the time, but I kinda wish sony would be more proactive in this area. I'd like to be able to watch TV or something from my ps4. At least give us more apps.

LCfiner

This is somehow a bad thing?

What's wrong with offering us more features?

Focus is important. Without it, elements of a product can suffer.

Windows 8 is a good example of a design that tried to be all things for all people on all devices and ended up offering compromising experiences for both tablets and desktops without offering enough positives for people to want it.

jagowar

I still don't see why they sold this... could have used mediaroom to be the tv service powering the xbox (the tech behind it is actually really good) but I guess we will find out soon enough how they are going to do tv on the next xbox.

nib95

Banned
A lot of xbox die hards I feel have taken a bashing the last few weeks. I think many held on to the notion that many of these rumours were all made up malarkey and would carry little to no weight. The reality is and always was that many of the sources for the original rumours (Edge for example) have some very reliable insiders, and now more and more sources are either confirming the rumours or have info that correlates with them.

Either way, it's not looking pretty. Will be an interesting reveal. In the end, I think they'll (try to) drown out the non gamer and anti-consumer stuff with some massive games. From what I've heard about the latter, there should be some big one's up for show.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Didn't you hear? Ps4 is a hardcore games machine and Durango is for streaming The Voice.

People on this website must be in a coma if they actually believe one of the PS4's main focuses won't be entertainment other than gaming.

Its not a bad thing but it fuels the sentiment that their next product is more of a set top box than a xbox

All of the consoles, including the PS4, are more entertainment centers of a living room than actual gaming consoles anymore. There is a reason people watch Netflix and video content more than play games on modern consoles now.

Well what does this mean for their reveal? Is it going to focus on games or is it going to focus on the media center aspects?

Without a doubt both. Microsoft is revealing their machine this close to launch to show a more fully formed and actual vision of the next Xbox. Meaning that they will show what will actually ship in the console and show how it fits into the lifestyle of a normal person.

R3TRODYCE

I'm down for more services, I'm a little too old and busy for a dedicated game console so this is right up my alley.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
People on this website must be in a coma if they actually believe one of the PS4's main focuses won't be entertainment other than gaming.

Funny thing is that they've focused more on games and HW talk more than anything else so far.

Of course it will have Netflix, Gaikai, etc. The message MSFT is delivering is the opposite of what I've seen with PS4 so far so I don't know what you are reaching for here.

Derrick01

Banned

Stop being dense. Everyone knows it will be a media machine too, the difference is people trust Sony to have a strong gaming focus as well based on their past and present focus and their constant comments that the focus for 4 is gamers. Just like everyone has no faith in MS due to their past and present focus on kinect and media.

UrbanRats

Those extra features tend to be US-centric or worse, US-only.

As a European none of those extra features beyond gaming have any attraction for me.

Yup.
But hey i can pay XBL Gold so i can watch GameTrailers on my Xbox!

Whatever, i'll wait and see what they have in mind on the 21st of May, things don't look too good for now.
Of course if it is indeed always online, there's nothing (or very little) they could do to get me to buy it.

Anfony O

People constantly act surprised when they read about this. This is something that's been going on for a while now, and if anyone thinks Microsoft is going to let go of something that appeals a much larger audience to it's product, he's got another thing coming. Everyone seems to speak as if this console should be catered to them, people tend to forget that this is a business. Anyone placed in such a position is going to do the same. It's not like Balmer is going to go home at night and say "Well my product isn't doing so well but at least the hardcore gamers are happy!"

Personally, none of the entertainment components of the console appeal to me, in fact I can't even use a quarter of them in the country I live in. I'll be waiting for the games, and I highly doubt Microsoft is just going to ditch the audience that help helped jumpstart their console in the first place. If nothing get's announced, then I have the freedom to choose something else which caters more to me. But I just don't get the hostility some of the others have. It's like Microsoft stabbed them in the heart and butchered their soul. All that and nothing has been announced yet!

The thing is... Microsoft thinks the new x-box that has a heavy focus on these things is going to EXPAND their audience, and simply put... it's not. There is too much of a gaming stigma attached to the name. If they focus too much on the entertainment portion and keeping developers happy instead of customers they'll end up pushing the hardcore away and once it's gone, it won't be back (Nintendo says "Hi" on that)

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew

I have seen quite a few people here claim that. They seem to have missed the first 35 minutes of sonys PS4 announcement show where they talked about everything but games lol

This has been microsofts direction from the start anyway. You can bet Sony will be offering just as many services like this.

Also, I don't remember people bitching about PS2 Ning able to play Video DVDs back in the day. I don't se how this is really any different. It's adding to the entertainment capabilities. No way is gaming being pushed to the side.

Focus is important. Without it, elements of a product can suffer.

Windows 8 is a good example of a design that tried to be all things for all people on all devices and ended up offering compromising experiences for both tablets and desktops without offering enough positives for people to want it.

Well said, Thank you.

Lanbeast

I think Microsoft may be confusing my wife watching 60 hours of Netflix and me playing 20 hours of video games as though Netflix is the primary reason we bought an Xbox 360. I won't buy the Next Xbox for $3-500 to watch Netflix when I can buy a Roku for a fraction of that. Give me game power, yo.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Funny thing is that they've focused more on games and HW talk more than anything else so far.

Of course it will have Netflix, Gaikai, etc. The message MSFT is delivering is the opposite of what I've seen with PS4 so far so I don't know what you are reaching for here.

Microsoft hasn't offered anything yet considering the console hasn't been officially announced or features officially confirmed...

Stop being dense. Everyone knows it will be a media machine too, the difference is people trust Sony to have a strong gaming focus as well based on their past and present focus and their constant comments that the focus for 4 is gamers. Just like everyone has no faith in MS due to their past and present focus on kinect and media.

From most comments I've seen on NeoGAF you would think the PS4 is nothing but a gaming console and will offer nothing else.

What does the new Xbox do for media consumption that the 360 or even much cheaper Roku or Apple TV doesn't do? The only people that would be willing to shell out $500 at launch are enthusiasts and it seems to me like MS isn't really concerned with pleasing them.

It isn't what they do in comparison it is that they offer it in the first place, people are not going to be happy if their new console can't even match the media offerings of the old console.

Just because you buy a console for games doesn't mean it's usefulness stops there.

Ingeniero

I'm OK with this.
More features rather than just playing games is a good thing.

I can't wait for the reveal, so many rumors, FUD and all. I am confident that Microsoft has a strong plan and are not going to screw this up so easily as everybody thinks.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
This is somehow a bad thing?

What's wrong with offering us more features?

You guys act as if the PS4 isn't going to follow suite on entertainment?
We have an idea of Sony's plan about games. Not the case with Microsoft.

I think Microsoft may be confusing my wife watching 60 hours of Netflix and me playing 20 hours of video games as though Netflix is the primary reason we bought an Xbox 360. I won't buy the Next Xbox for $3-500 to watch Netflix when I can buy a Roku for a fraction of that. Give me game power, yo.

This... so much this.

theytookourjobz

What does the new Xbox do for media consumption that the 360 or even much cheaper Roku or Apple TV doesn't do? The only people that would be willing to shell out $500 at launch are enthusiasts and it seems to me like MS isn't really concerned with pleasing them.

Top Bottom