• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Sky Chief

I'm not sure which GAF hates more

• The idea of second hand games being blocked
  • An always-online console

For me it is the always on console as I don't buy or sell used games but philosophically I think they are both terrible and combine to mean that you essentially have no ownership over any of your content.

clav

Blizzard has already confirmed that Diablo 3 will have an offline mode. You are posting completely irrelevant things.

Not irrelevant. I want clarification since Sony was very fuzzy with details in the past.

Looks like I have links, but I will wait for the final product since Sony changes things before console releases.

x-Lundz-x

Holy fuck. Lol wow well there you go GAF.

MS, you have lost my business. Purchased probably 100+ new games this gen for my 360 and i was a launch buyer compared to about 20 on ps3. Your count goes down to 2 next gen and when the console is super cheap.

Your greed and arrogance is going to bite you in the ass. Good luck.

Jac_Solar

Why would anyone defend this without a financial reason, or business related reason? It's terrible for the consumers. So, assuming it's true, why were Gamespot recently talking cozy about MS and their console, after meeting them or something?

BY2K

Membero Americo
OP, include these earlier tweets, too:

ifbxoUYPoL27n.gif

That's how you lose jobs, you know.

I live in south west Florida and have satellite Internet. 15 mbps with a 25 gig cap A MONTH, a street down everyone has Comcast. There are no plans to expand into my area for a few years, so fuck yourself Microsoft. I'm going back to Sony for the first time since PS2.

Sophia

On the flip side, most people use Steam fine most of the time without complaint. Steam also doesn't work if you suddenly lose internet, but people don't stop using Steam, though admittedly Steam has a hell of a lot more pluses than Xbox Live as it stands.

Steam has offline mode. As long as your games are up to date you can play them single player. Used it a lot when my connection was unreliable or I'm at my grandparents.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Dudes managers are gonna hang his ass out to dry ... Why.. if you aren't on the PR side of shit ... would you put yourself out there like this? Even if his opinion wasn't arrogant bs and was an actual reasoned and calm logical argument... you don't want shit like this coming from your employees fuckin Twitter account.

Crazy junior league fumbles all over the damn place. MS is in for a hard first year in the next gen... would be absolutely crazy to see all their goodwill from this gen toasted just like that.

God i love the console wars.

Josh7289

Adam Orth said:
What on earth would I live there?

I have nothing nice to say about this guy right now, so I'll refrain.

However, if MS actually goes through with this always online stuff, it will be the single biggest mistake they've ever made in the console games industry.

Instro

It's pretty fascinating that with Nintendo floundering and Microsoft apparently headed down a dark road, Sony is being handed next gen on a silver platter.

paully

Banned
Yeah....PS4 only for me.

I'll buy a Wii U before I buy Microsoft's next Shitbox. Judging by the rumors, Microsoft has gone anti-consumer and I won't support them.

BigDes

Steam works fine if you suddenly lose internet although of course you can only get the games you've already installed

You also don't get kicked out of a game after three minutes.

JackHerer

Wow this guy comes off as a huge asshole. Not sure what he is trying to accomplish with those tweets...

PS4 looking pretty damn good right now. With the Halo franchise going down the drain there is very little tying me to the xbox anymore. Stuff like this just makes it easier to switch over. This gen I eventually bought both consoles but I really don't know what Microsoft is doing anymore.

Hopefully they have some kind of ace up their sleeve, for their sake.

DaBuddaDa

Social Networking, Downloading games while you're away at a faster/better rate, better connection/services for Netflix, Youtube, etc...

All of those things are nice options if you are connected, but I don't see how any of those optional features are enough to require a constant connection. It has to be an essential, core, permeating functionality that would necessitate it. I don't know what that could possibly be.

I don't usually agree with gif responses but...

XUIPb.gif

If they think people are gonna be ok with not being able to play a game, that they bought on a damn disc, because their internet happens to be being funny, then Microsoft has another thought coming. PS4 sales are gonna go up mad this generation.

On the flip side, most people use Steam fine most of the time without complaint. Steam also doesn't work if you suddenly lose internet, but people don't stop using Steam, though admittedly Steam has a hell of a lot more pluses than Xbox Live as it stands.
if xbl was like steam it would be somewhat forgive able but with that attitude I don't know what to expect. What a jackass

Order

Always online? So basically, all Sony needs to do is announce a decent price, announce free online, and then they guaranteed I'll eventually buy a PS4. If this shit is confirmed, MS killed any interest I had in them.

Raven77

Well if this is the sentiment MS will take regarding their next gen console, they can DEAL with me and millions of other NOT buying their device.

Thank you Sony, at least one of the big three got it right it seems.

Hopefully it isn't always online though and this tool is being just that...a tool.

DR2K

Banned
Same company that charges for p2p gameplay online will get people to buy an always online console.

MAX PAYMENT

Will always online really affect many people?
Both my Xbox and ps3 don't know what it feels like to be without Internet.

Top Bottom