• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Even if this is the case, I have this horrible feeling that there will be mountains of outrage, and huffing and puffing, and then a ton for the generation set by a sold out launch. "Vocal minority can shove it, the market has spoken, etc." Even if it's a device that alienates a whole bunch of people, the overwhelming majority of people in North America today live in urban areas with excellent connectivity. The biggest single chunk of their userbase will want to play FIFA and COD with friends online, or watch Netflix. It is probably more in their interests to better exploit this majority of their audience than it is to try to cater to those poor sods living out there in the boonies with dial-up internet and power outs, or the hardcore 'activist' gamer that frequents a community like this one.

But hopefully this is all mountains out of molehills and Microsoft isn't actually going with the always on console experience this gen.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Holy fuck. Lol wow well there you go GAF.

MS, you have lost my business. Purchased probably 100+ new games this gen for my 360 and i was a launch buyer compared to about 20 on ps3. Your count goes down to 2 next gen and when the console is super cheap.

Your greed and arrogance is going to bite you in the ass. Good luck.

Nothing is confirmed, let's put away the jump to conclusions mat until they confirm it.

Mooreberg

I'm not sure how Microsoft being an American company explains anything. North America is among the worst of industrialized areas for bandwith speeds, caps, etc.

Unless being an American company means... they are targeting Sweden and South Korea?

The grammar of that statement is @shitposts material, but you get my idea

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Seems like tech companies have a larger appetite for this sort of nonsense. I know I would never dare speak on behalf of my company via Twitter. Not even with stupid analogies. The benefits are nil and the drawbacks could be huge.

It really actually just seems to be gaming and entertainment/celebrity where we get this shit!

Duffyside

Banned
Microsoft to sell vacuum cleaners, Durango will need that vacuum to be within ten feet to work confirmed.

"What, you need to be within a microscopic millimeter of an electrical outlet for your fridge to work, what's the big deal? #DealWithIt"

You don't think Sony has backpedaled a lot in promises over the years?

PS2 with polygon counts that dwindled nearing launch date.
PS3 with features removed before and even after release.

How are either of those related to something like always online which a developer has already deconfirmed. That isn't some port that can easily be removed

Wow, dude seems like a bit of an asshole. I live in a very connected area and sometimes my router decides to stop working while I'm playing a game. Does that mean I deserve to not be able to play the games that I pay $60 dollars for?

This always online is looking very likely at this point, I'm a little curious if the stances have changed on people saying it's just edge fishing for hits, or the XDK confirming edge was lying or pulled the requirement out of nowhere.

Reigan

Banned
Who cares, microsoft made it obvious with the 360 where they stand after the greatness that was the original xbox, they can keep their casualbox with no good exclusives.

It always boggles my mind how first-party platform holders can seemingly blindly ignore multiple examples in the past in this industry where market shares shifted dramatically during a new generation, sometimes seemingly overnight, because the guys on top were too arrogant to realize that just because you were successful in one gen doesn't mean you are guaranteed to be successful in the next. They seriously cannot be this dumb right? Move to where there is better internet? Are you kidding me? They are entering Sony pre-PS3 launch levels of arrogance and they haven't even announced the Durango yet.

Somewhere J. Allard is either laughing his ass off or is face palming hard. The new guys that are running the Xbox division now seem like they have zero clue what consumers want. It just feels like this is all a predictable train wreck waiting to happen and this is from someone whose 360 was their primary console this gen.

akaoni

Banned
Nope, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe games will be less expensive or there'll be a more expensive version? There's just no way they could be so stupid... I have zero intention of buying an Xbox either way.

OEY5yp8.jpg

Wow, what an idiot. I'm still going to hope this isn't true, but if it is I'm PS4 all the way.

Foffy

Banned
I don't usually agree with gif responses but...

XUIPb.gif

If they think people are gonna be ok with not being able to play a game, that they bought on a damn disc, because their internet happens to be being funny, then Microsoft has another thought coming. PS4 sales are gonna go up mad this generation.

On the flip side, most people use Steam fine most of the time without complaint. Steam also doesn't work if you suddenly lose internet, but people don't stop using Steam, though admittedly Steam has a hell of a lot more pluses than Xbox Live as it stands.

I can play my games offline on Steam. A claim came out just today that you have a three minute offline period before playing a title causes it to troubleshoot the connection.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
They're going for the living room market. While you watch your kids play Kinect 2 you can vacuum the carpet.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If being always online was some how vital the functioning of the console, then his analogy would make some sense. But we've had decades of consoles, with none of them requiring an internet connection, and there's no reason for that option to not continue. It's simply unnecessary.

Iacobellis

Wow, dude seems like a bit of an asshole. I live in a very connected area and sometimes my router decides to stop working while I'm playing a game. Does that mean I deserve to not be able to play the games that I pay $60 dollars for?

Yes, because $60 won't be enough for LIVE come next year.

DSN2K

Im concerned about Microsoft and Next Gen, they are coming across the same way Sony did at start of this Gen for me.

BigDes

The real issue is what we should call this kind of Twitter dumbfuckery

A friend of mine suggested we call it "Going Gies"

Ding-Ding

Can I make a reference to electricity as well...
"Will the last people to leave Microsoft Game Studios, please turn the lights out".

Derrick01

Banned
Maybe they're just grooming people to expect the worst so they can announce a completely underwhelming console by normal standards and everyone will react like it's some massive shocking surprise since they were expecting all of this bullshit.

Dibbz

It's real? Lol can't believe they would go the always online route.

There are 0, nada, no advantages for the customer to force always online.

Sky Chief

I live in an affluent neighborhood in the ninth largest city in the United States, have a choice between Time Warner Cable or AT&T Uverse for my Internet, have subscribed to both on their fastest plan available and they are both terrible.

kuroshiki

I can play my games offline on Steam. A claim came out just today that you have a three minute offline period before playing a title causes it to troubleshoot the connection.

For what its worth, steam offline mode is real piece of shit.

Top Bottom