• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

I've been seeing some articles here and there and just talks in general how MS needs to improve their first party efforts and all that. Which is of course something I can agree with, but it really isn't as black and white as that sounds, not for MS it is.

Let's take a look at Sony, they come with new exclusives like The last of Us, Bloodborne, Horizon and so on. Those all sold great. MS came with Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break and so on, of these three I would say clearly SO is the best of them and it sold shit. MS was willing to come with new IP and they failed which is a fucking shame. So on one hand it's understandable if they are reluctant to keep investing in new IP when there's absolutely no guarantee they will sell great, unlike when Sony announces a new IP or Nintendo.

It's not only MS at fault here. Sure it's their fault that they don't give as much creative freedom to their developers like Sony does and it could be their fault that several titles were cancelled that should have never been greenlit, but we don't have the full story on things like Scalebound and Fable Legends. And it remains to be seen how Crackdown turns out, but after so many years of development what we saw at E3 is not what you'd expect.

But it's also partly on the gamers. Why didn't they buy Sunset Overdrive? Something entirely different than any of the other exclusives on Xbox. Why did Ryse and QB just do bad? I wouldn't want to be MS right now, because even if MS DID give the Xbox division all the funds in the world and freedom, there wouldn't be a guarantee that we gamers go out and buy it. But again when Sony and Ninty announce and release a new exclusive, especially this generation, they succeed.

I've been saying this for while, their success has come in games like State of Decay and Ori this generation so it makes sense to back those kinds of smaller horses ala Cuphead, Below and Ashen. It's easy to say make expensive new IP when it isn't your 80+ million dollars and hundreds of jobs on the line. Based on their trends this generation, MS current position is completely understandable.

Still wish Crytek would have budged on the Ryse franchise though, seemed like Microsoft was willing to go in for that one.

part of me thinks only new IP's for microsoft thinks they might only come from small AA/new AAA studios approaching microsoft.
I hope im wrong, as I'd love a new IP factory. shit I'd take AA over AAA right now. if the AA does well enough consider turning it into a AAA

The problem with the above approach is that it's basically a 5-7 year process then to build a AAA franchise.

Start small, hope it does well for its budget, assess reception, then increase budget for the sequel to be AAA?

That's a LOOOONG time.

sam12

The 3 unknown from MS could probably be Forza 8, Gears 5 and the Studio Gobo project(Fable hinted here). Wasn't Dead Rising hinted recently? So barring that it's only Dino Crisis and Ninja Gaiden that seem kind of out there. Funny though that Ninja Gaiden was also rumored in the supposed leak before E3 as well.

What is the one in September 2019? I can't read what it says

The problem with the above approach is that it's basically a 5-7 year process then to build a AAA franchise.

Start small, hope it does well for its budget, assess reception, then increase budget for the sequel to be AAA?

That's a LOOOONG time.

It may be a long time, but you could fund what, 7-9 studios at AA level while assessing before upping some to AAA level, compared to the cost of one big budget AAA.

all the while increasing the diversity of first party games and increasing the overall first party output.

2014's e3 has been a harsh lesson and has affected a lot of people's careers and time. Everyone at Xbox seems confident though in the future, they are lucky they have the third party support for this year and a couple of console exclusives. I really thought Crackdown 3 was ready to be packaged, but with it being delayed shows MS at least cares in it getting to the quality it deserves (fingers cross no delays/cancellation). In terms of MS's portfolio, 2018 should be an absolute cracker and return to form; the real challenge is whether or not they keep the momentum going or they slip up again. I'm hoping they do a good PR campaign for their first party output.

Still, this year I have a feeling Forza 7 may be another 90+ Metacritic like Horizon 3. Super Lucky's Tale may also be a surprise hit. Can't forget Cuphead as well, that's a real diamond. Hopefully it goes well and the XboxX support makes Xbox stand out despite lacking exclusives.

I've been saying this for while, their success has come in games like State of Decay and Ori this generation so it makes sense to back those kinds of smaller horses ala Cuphead, Below and Ashen. It's easy to say make expensive new IP when it isn't your 80+ million dollars and hundreds of jobs on the line. Based on their trends this generation, MS current position is completely understandable.

Still wish Crytek would have budged on the Ryse franchise though, seemed like Microsoft was willing to go in for that one.

MS really won with State of Decay, especially getting that multiple game release contract with Undead labs.

I still think Crytek were idiots to not get rid of Ryse just so they could pay their employees, I knew a few people who were owed money by Crytek. Still pisses me off.

blakep267

I thought if they plan to produce 4 games every year, they have to approve 4 projects every year to achieve that right? Like 2013 you sign 4 games for 2016, 2014 you sign 4 games for 2017 and so on.
In theory 2014/2015 is where they lock down deals and projects for 2017/2018, no way they anticipate cancellation and delay at that time base on their original release road map.
I assume they signed same amount of projects back in 2014/15 that plan to release in 2017 and wonder what are those.

And about project put on hold due to delay and cancellation, how does that work? You ask studios stop production, do nothing and wait?
Undead labs signed a multi game deal in 2014 with MS. So presumably that means SoD2 would've been a 2017 game. It was revealed last year but got delayed to 2018.

The 2017 lineup should've been
Halo wars 2
Crackdown 3
State of Decay 2
Forza 7

There's your 4 games. Also if we're going by NKTrNL leak, Quantum break should've been a holiday 2014 game and Scalebound should've been out last year

Shubh_C63

Everybody wants the new AAA from MS to rekindle the greenery in their garden.

I honestly think MS will avoid dipping into AAA gamble after QB, Sunset and the experiment with Titanfall-1 which frankly paved way to Titanfall 2 struggling. There is going to be just great deals like PUBG and other AA titles which can be treated like AAA. And yes more deals like Titanfall.

Imagine if Hellblade was only on Xbox, MS definitely would had put it on the forefront of everything. And Exclusivity rights to such two AA titles is definitely cheaper than making One massive AAA Game. (to which you don't even have a studio to assign to)

Our hope that MS will learn and double down on new AAA is already passed with Sunset Overdrive, QB and Ryse fall. Now they will play safer than safe. and will NEVER lack in raw power whenever new Gen starts. I am 100% confident on that.

shingi70

Banned

I honestly think MS will avoid dipping into AAA gamble after QB, Sunset and the experiment with Titanfall-1 which frankly paved way to Titanfall 2 struggling. There is going to be just great deals like PUBG and other AA titles which can be treated like AAA. And yes more deals like Titanfall.

Imagine if Hellblade was only on Xbox, MS definitely would had put it on the forefront of everything. And Exclusivity rights to such two AA titles is definitely cheaper than making One massive AAA Game. (to which you don't even have a studio to assign to)

Our hope that MS will learn and double down on new AAA is already passed with Sunset Overdrive, QB and Ryse fall.
Now they will play safer than safe. and will NEVER lack in raw power whenever new Gen starts. I am 100% confident on that.

I think the best thing is to add a few new AAA titles to Gears, Halo, Forza, and the bolster thier AA and indie like game efforts.

Maybe Aquire a few studios or invest in more European talent.

labaronx

I've been seeing some articles here and there and just talks in general how MS needs to improve their first party efforts and all that. Which is of course something I can agree with, but it really isn't as black and white as that sounds, not for MS it is.

Let's take a look at Sony, they come with new exclusives like The last of Us, Bloodborne, Horizon and so on. Those all sold great. MS came with Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break and so on, of these three I would say clearly SO is the best of them and it sold shit. MS was willing to come with new IP and they failed which is a fucking shame. So on one hand it's understandable if they are reluctant to keep investing in new IP when there's absolutely no guarantee they will sell great, unlike when Sony announces a new IP or Nintendo.

It's not only MS at fault here. Sure it's their fault that they don't give as much creative freedom to their developers like Sony does and it could be their fault that several titles were cancelled that should have never been greenlit, but we don't have the full story on things like Scalebound and Fable Legends. And it remains to be seen how Crackdown turns out, but after so many years of development what we saw at E3 is not what you'd expect.

But it's also partly on the gamers. Why didn't they buy Sunset Overdrive? Something entirely different than any of the other exclusives on Xbox. Why did Ryse and QB just do bad? I wouldn't want to be MS right now, because even if MS DID give the Xbox division all the funds in the world and freedom, there wouldn't be a guarantee that we gamers go out and buy it. But again when Sony and Ninty announce and release a new exclusive, especially this generation, they succeed.

Ill say this... many will diagree but Microsofts marketing: tv, web, viral, has been absolute trash compared to sony with the ps4. Especially with their non halo/gears titles. Here in the us the push for sunset overdrive was non existent. A white console? Very little tv presence. Quantum break most commercials i saw ran thru late night reruns of Archer. Compared to their tomb raider (3rd party) marketing which was everywhere they sent so and qb out to die

Saw this on Twitter earlier.

Did someone say blood plague?

What is the blood plague?
Did you happen to notice the most recent news coming from the State of Decay 2 behind closed doors sessions at gamescom 2017? If not, you may want to check out some exciting new information that Xbox On, IGN, and several others posted earlier this week. They talk about a new blood plague zombie, the choices you’ll have to make, and consequences of your actions.

In the video below Xbox On talks about their experiences with State of Decay 2 and their interactions with the “blood plague”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=11&v=YCHxcdS3awc

https://www.stateofdecay.com/2017/08/24/someone-say-blood-plague/

Sydle

Our hope that MS will learn and double down on new AAA is already passed with Sunset Overdrive, QB and Ryse fall. Now they will play safer than safe. and will NEVER lack in raw power whenever new Gen starts. I am 100% confident on that.

They'll continue whale hunting, but it's likely going to be multiplayer focused. I will not be surprised if they never release another AAA SP-only game.

Didn't want to make a thread about this but i was thinking how it's a shame that Xbox is still missing out on too many (Japanese)games. I keep hoping for Sega to start considering to bring Yakuza to Xbox as well, because i'm sure there are potential buyers that own a Xbox, myself included for damn sure.

Or that brand newly announced Fist of the North Star game. That's by the team that made Binary Domain isn't it? That game releases for 360.....bring this new game to Xbox as well then. Especially with what seems to be a potential success for Xbox One X with the surprising amount of preorders i think there definitely would be buyers. Or how about The Secret of Mana remake?

I'm glad as hell and still surprised Monster Hunter World is making it's way to Xbox One and that new Sword Art Online game, but still for the most part it seems they really don't care about Xbox one bit. And i don't get it...Secret of Mana is Square Enix and how hard can it be to port to Xbox? As for Yakuza, i heard Deep Silver actually publishes it in the west? I'm sure they would be fine bringing it to more systems, but i'm guessing the developer just can't be bothered with it.

Just saw this article.http://gamingbolt.com/xbox-one-has-many-unannounced-games-in-development-people-have-never-heard-about-them-aaron-greenberg

However, speaking to Rocket Beans TV at Gamescom, Microsoft’s Aaron Greenberg tackled this issue head on, recognizing that right now, Microsoft was just focusing on games that are due to release this year and early next year, but that they have a whole lot of other games in the works, including new IPs, that they hope to talk about closer to their release.

“One of the things we have been thoughtful about is when do we want to start talking about new games? Phil Spencer has talked about this previously, too. For example, The Coalition is very hard at work right now on a number of things- we aren’t talking about them right now. 343 is doing Awakening, the expansion of Halo Wars 2, but we aren’t talking about other things they’re doing,” he said.

“I think in the past we have talked about how far in advance we talk about things that are coming. So you’ll see that right now we’re focusing on the games that are coming this Holiday, and the Spring. We have a lot of other things in the works, a lot of things people have never heard of, new games, things made by existing studios. So gamers should feel confident about investing in an Xbox One, and that there is a lot of content in the works, some really great titles, and things that will surprise people. But we wanna wait, no spoilers, we want to tell people when we’re ready-
I found the part about 343i and The coalition surprising. He seems to imply that both studios are currently working on multiple projects outside the usual stuff. Also Coalition, Rare and 343i have been on a hiring spree lately ...and 343i recently picked the lead designer for Horizon Zero Dawns combat.

shingi70

Banned
Didn't want to make a thread about this but i was thinking how it's a shame that Xbox is still missing out on too many (Japanese)games. I keep hoping for Sega to start considering to bring Yakuza to Xbox as well, because i'm sure there are potential buyers that own a Xbox, myself included for damn sure.

Or that brand newly announced Fist of the North Star game. That's by the team that made Binary Domain isn't it? That game releases for 360.....bring this new game to Xbox as well then. Especially with what seems to be a potential success for Xbox One X with the surprising amount of preorders i think there definitely would be buyers. Or how about The Secret of Mana remake?

I'm glad as hell and still surprised Monster Hunter World is making it's way to Xbox One and that new Sword Art Online game, but still for the most part it seems they really don't care about Xbox one bit. And i don't get it...Secret of Mana is Square Enix and how hard can it be to port to Xbox? As for Yakuza, i heard Deep Silver actually publishes it in the west? I'm sure they would be fine bringing it to more systems, but i'm guessing the developer just can't be bothered with it.

Japanese Xbox Support has always been weird. Kingdom Hearts 3 is coming to the system but none of the prequel games got ported when the PS4 got them. All those FF ports and side games could have easily been ported to the Xbox One.

Shiggy

Just saw this article.http://gamingbolt.com/xbox-one-has-many-unannounced-games-in-development-people-have-never-heard-about-them-aaron-greenberg

I found the part about 343i and The coalition surprising. He seems to imply that both studios are currently working on multiple projects outside the usual stuff. Also Coalition, Rare and 343i have been on a hiring spree lately ...and 343i recently picked the lead designer for Horizon Zero Dawns combat.

Does he imply that they are working on things outside of the usual stuff in the actual interview outside of the quote you posted, or where exactly? The quote itself doesn't really imply anything like that.

Does he imply that they are working on things outside of the usual stuff in the actual interview outside of the quote you posted, or where exactly? The quote itself doesn't really imply anything like that.
I'm going with the quote where he says The Coalition and 343i are working on a number of things.
not sure if he is just implying Halo 6 and Gears 5 here..
The Coalition is very hard at work right now on a number of things- we aren’t talking about them right now. 343 is doing Awakening, the expansion of Halo Wars 2, but we aren’t talking about other things they’re doing
also why would 343i need to hire the lead combat designer for a game like HZD if their next project is Halo 6 (fps)? And wasn't there a rumor sometime ago about 343i working on something else? Can't remember if I saw it here or reddit.

Shiggy

I'm going with the quote where he says The Coalition and 343i are working on a number of things.

also why would 343i need to hire the lead combat designer for a game like HZD if their next project is Halo 6 (fps)? And wasn't there a rumor sometime ago about 343i working on something else? Can't remember if I saw it here or reddit.

Gears 5, Halo 6 - they aren't talking about those things. Maybe also some comics/books/series cross-over. Doesn't need to be a full game.
Also why not hire that guy? Doesn't mean he's only capable of making stuff like in HZD. Turn10 hired the main programmer of Pikmin, yet they never made anything apart from racing games.

Bluth54

not sure if he is just implying Halo 6 and Gears 5 here..
also why would 343i need to hire the lead combat designer for a game like HZD if their next project is Halo 6 (fps)?.

Just because that designer worked on Horizon doesn't mean that's the only type of game they can design/work on.
It's possible 343i wanted to get some new talent in the studio and that designer wanted to work on Halo games.

Gears 5, Halo 6 - they aren't talking about those things. Maybe also some comics/books/series cross-over. Doesn't need to be a full game.
Also why not hire that guy? Doesn't mean he's only capable of making stuff like in HZD. Turn10 hired the main programmer of Pikmin, yet they never made anything apart from racing games.
Just because that designer worked on Horizon doesn't mean that's the only type of game they can design/work on.
It's possible 343i wanted to get some new talent in the studio and that designer wanted to work on Halo games.

Makes sense..maybe I'm reading too much into his comment also I never heard about T10 hiring the pikmin dev. crazy.. I wonder what his exact job function is at T10 now?

Microsoft are specifically working on a horizon zero dawn type game.

Well, I guess fall 2018 is going to be barren then.

Leflus

Well. Barren if you're not into Halo (6) or Forza Horizon (4). I also have a feeling that one of MS' other games will be delayed to the fall.

I don't think there will be a lack of games next year *knock on wood*. What's going to be disappointing is that the lineup will mostly consist of delayed games (CD3, SoT, SoD2) and predictable games (H6 and FH4). Hopefully Ori doesn't get delayed...

blakep267

They usually only have 3-4 games in the fall anyway

2014: Halo MCC, Forza Horizon 2, Sunset overdrive
2015: Halo 5, Forza 6, ROTTR(Timed)
2016: Gears 4, Recore, Forza Horizon 3, DR4(timed)
2017: Forza 7, Super luckys tale, Crackdown(delayed), PUBG(timed)

So 2018 would naturally be Horizon 4, Halo 6 and 1-2 other smaller titles. Maybe Ori 2 gets a fall release or another smaller A-AA game

I just hope we really get Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 and Crackdown 3 in spring next year and not that we're going to be looking at delays again. Don't get me wrong if the game is not ready then don't release it but at the same time all these delays are becoming annoying. Hopefully we get to see some proper footage of State soon then, and hopefully they can optimize it because man.... it looked rough at E3.

Well. Barren if you're not into Halo (6) or Forza Horizon (4). I also have a feeling that one of MS' other games will be delayed to the fall.

I don't think there will be a lack of games next year *knock on wood*. What's going to be disappointing is that the lineup will mostly consist of delayed games (CD3, SoT, SoD2) and predictable games (H6 and FH4). Hopefully Ori doesn't get delayed...

I'm just piecing information together based on what they have said in the past. He is saying that they are only taking about 2017 and early 2018. So Ori and Forza seem poised to be Summer or Fall titles.

And Phil mentioned in his last IGN conversation that he will take a game by game approach to announcing new games. For games that are well known, he would probably announce them a little later, GaaS titles and new AAA IP would likely need longer runways to build a beta audience and build awareness, respectively. Halo 6 may fit the bill for a single E3 announce/release cadence based on those comments.

However, 343i said that it may be a long time before they talk about Halo 6 so it could ultimately end up being a 2019 or 2020 game. I'm not ready to write that into the release schedule yet.

So, in summary, we're definitely not getting a new AAA IP next fall, Halo 6 may miss the three year release schedule but we'll probably get Ori and Forza.

If you don't like metroidvanias or driving games, 2018 may not hold much promise.

JaggedSac

If they drastically change Halo 6 from the usual formula, early 2019 will be the release date. If it is business as usual with straightforward linear campaign again, 2018 will be the release. Honestly, they should avoid the Holiday Rush with the next Halo anyway. Throw it out in March.

I still say Halo 6 fall 2018. 2020 is completely out of the question and 2019 is highly unlikely. They will want another big fall title soon since 2017 is a cooldown year for their fall lineup.

gamz

I still say Halo 6 fall 2018. 2020 is completely out of the question and 2019 is highly unlikely. They will want another big fall title soon since 2017 is a cooldown year for their fall lineup.

I'd be surprised if it's this fall because I would assume they would say something during this E3?

I'd be surprised if it's this fall because I would assume they would say something during this E3?
Unless Phil was really serious about not talking about upcoming releases until they're much closer to releasing. I'd think MS would want Halo out sooner, so if and when MS does their next big console upgrade, the next Halo could feasibly be a launch title. But that's way out there and a lot of speculating.

If there's a AAA Xbox franchise other than Forza (because annualisation lol) that can do the "announce/release same year" thing, it's Halo.

Also, Phil has been talking up wanting to wait till games are ready before announcement... but 2 out of 3 announcements ( except Forza ) hasn't exactly kept that promise. ( AoE4 and Ori 2 are announced without a release window, and most definitely not in the next 9 months )

I expect that he'll have Halo next year to be the announcement that drives that.

Top Bottom