• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

You realize that even Nintendo effectively does the same thing with Zelda (and to an extent, Mario), right? They just don't call the massive Zelda team "Navi Industries" or anything. There's nothing wrong with a single IP factory and it's not like Microsoft can't have other, more open teams because of it. It's more just that they don't have a particular large amount of teams than anything, so they just have the couple factories, largely because MS heavily leverages external studios for other projects (ReCore, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, etc). But Black Tusk could have been working on new IPs, they just elected to become The Coalition for the job security. And Rare is apparently transitioning to exclusively pumping out new IPs, starting with Sea of Thieves.
I don't have a problem with factory studios. I have a problem with them in the context of MS' situation. That is, only a few studios who are factory studios. Also, Zelda and Mario aren't facing major decline from previous iterations.

Rare's situation is good but I would prefer if they had at least a few more studios in a situation like that to go with the bigger factory studios.

JlNX

I'm predicting the gears studio, gears 4 wasn't successful enough and now it's being given to 343 studios.

I've always wanted chainsaw in Halo, and hey now they don't need to make the flood cause the swarm coming for your master chef.

I don't have a problem with factory studios. I have a problem with them in the context of MS' situation. That is, only a few studios who are factory studios. Also, Zelda and Mario aren't facing major decline from previous iterations.

Rare's situation is good but I would prefer if they had at least a few more studios in a situation like that to go with the bigger factory studios.

Well if you want to get technical, I seriously doubt that Mario 3D World did better than Galaxy or even sold anywhere near the same level.

Is Shinobi talking about a game or a studio?

SoT, SoD2, CD3 have all said on social media that they are looking forward to 2017. Scalebound though.....

Well that completely contradicts what Phil said about it at E3 2013. He was claiming it would be the next Gears/Halo-level franchise.

They were working on the next big Ms franchise, but development wasn't that smooth, they even restarted from scratch once or twice IIRC.

I have no problem with MS having 2nd party games (KI is probably my most played game this gen so far). All I care about are new IPs being created and being good, and hopefully good enough for a sequel. 1st party studios, 2nd party studios...I don't really care (personally, obviously), as long as good games are produced and they keep making good games. 343i can work on halo for all eternity, I don't care. Are other new games being created is all I care about. Who makes it, doesn't matter, is it good is what matters.

My problem with second-party development, as we've seen earlier this generation, is that it leads to an issue of not getting follow-ups to some games. At some point, people are going to want more of a particular game, especially when one has a great concept, but maybe is flawed in its execution. Hell, it doesn't even have to be flawed. Maybe it's just something fresh or unique (See SSOD, or even Forza Horizon).

And new IPs are great of course, but sometimes I also want those new IPs to turn into new franchises. It's about balance.

What would sales have to do with my enjoyment of a game that seems like a fanboy statement.

Sales can affect the potential for sequels, scope of sequels, quality of life, or even just the existence of your favorite studio or IP. Sales matter to an end consumer whether you like it or not. Now in the specific cases of Gears and Halo, you're probably right; sales won't majorly affect your enjoyment of the game. Those two franchises aren't going anywhere any time soon.

But let me put it this way: If Sunset Overdrive had sold 5 million copies, do you think we'd be getting a new one?

Tonky

"What that means is we are working on Microsoft's next big entertainment franchise," studio manager Mike Crump told the Vancouver Sun. "We're not working on an existing franchise, we're looking to build the next Halo here in Vancouver, for example, which is really exciting. We are building something from the ground up."

Source

Chris1

Oh fuck off. I was actually looking forward to Scalebound too, I was the only person on this forum I think that didn't actually mind the E3 showing..

JlNX

Didn't Kamiya do a lot of interviews at E3 were he talked about how supportive Microsoft have been, more than any other publisher has with him in the past. Would seem like a strange move after E3 having a large gameplay chunk for it to be cancelled. Especially with that leaked amazon April release date which would be great for that game with no competition around.

ryan299

Here's Kotaku about Scalebound.

Scalebound, the much-hyped Platinum-developed action game that was previously scheduled for Xbox One and PC, is in trouble and may be cancelled, according to several sources.

We expect the official announcement shortly. When reached by Kotaku today, Microsoft sent over a brief statement: ”We'll have more to share on ‘Scalebound' soon."

Oh fuck off. I was actually looking forward to Scalebound too, I was the only person on this forum I think that didn't actually mind the E3 showing..

There were dozens of us :(

Looking at the relevant Twitter accounts: JP hasn't tweeted since December the 27th, the Scalebound account was last active in September and im blocked from Kamiya so don't know what he's been up too, lol.

My money would be on Scalebound. FUCK!!!

Especially with that leaked amazon April release date which would be great for that game with no competition around.

When was the last time that a AAA game that came out from MS goes dark 3 months before its release?

Even if Scalebound is coming out, it's unlikely to be a 1H game, but a fall game.

Zedox

I also was looking forward to it! THE FUCK MAN! *sigh* Cancelled? Jesus.

Tonky

Would've been nice to see Scorpio gameplay before it gets officially cancelled later today/tomorrow. Welp.

Would've been nice to see Scorpio gameplay before it gets officially cancelled later today/tomorrow. Welp.

Scorpio isn't a platform - its a souped up X1. Scorpio gameplay is an X1 game running in 4K. You really should lower your expectations on what Scorpio is exactly.

As for CD3, i've heard its development hasn't been rosy either. But that at least has a much higher chance of coming out, severe worts & all. Then again, its not a game we have seen an extensive gameplay demo, and the dev diary that has been seen by the public looked awful.

BruceCLea

Banned
This is always what I've feared with XBOX...while they should've been investing in more developers they were investing in Kinect. Now they keep going back to the bucket for Halo, GoW and Forza but that bucket is running dry. They need new stuff and fast. Ugh, bums me out.

Top Bottom