• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to announce indie self-publishing, new certification process [Confirmed]

zroid

Banned
Also, I just want to add that this "surprise" thing was a really bad idea. Now presumably they have been in touch with some indies who knew about their plans all along -- but they've been under NDA.

In the meantime, all the indies whom they weren't working with directly knew fuck all and have been fuming all this time, completely in the dark. Now they're just supposed to forget all of that and come onboard of their own volition? Oh, sure, they'll probably get over it eventually, but that bad blood will never completely disappear. Some volatile indie devs are still mad at Nintendo for the shit they pulled years ago on the Wii, even though they're widely considered "indie-friendly" now.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They've backed down on everything except Kinect and the price because of backlash and outside pressure. Just get those two things and they'll be on more or less and even keel with Sony.

fin

Not surprised at all. Windows 8 marketplace, Google Play, App Store, Ouya, Steam Greenlight, PS4 are doing it why not Xbox One? The devkit comment is pretty exciting, I wonder if you still need an official devkit for PS4 to publish games. If so, how much are they?

Tripolygon

Banned
Not surprised at all. Windows 8 marketplace, Google Play, App Store, Ouya, Steam Greenlight, PS4 are doing it why not Xbox One? The devkit comment is pretty exciting, I wonder if you still need an official devkit for PS4 to publish games. If so, how much are they?
Supposedly $2500 for PS4 dev kits but Sony has been giving it out on loan for free.

scitek

Also, I just want to add that this "surprise" thing was a really bad idea. Now presumably they have been in touch with some indies who knew about their plans all along -- but they've been under NDA.

In the meantime, all the indies whom they weren't working with directly knew fuck all and have been fuming all this time, completely in the dark. Now they're just supposed to forget all of that and come onboard of their own volition? Oh, sure, they'll probably get over it eventually, but that bad blood will never completely disappear. Some volatile indie devs are still mad at Nintendo for the shit they pulled years ago on the Wii, even though they're widely considered "indie-friendly" now.

Yeah, it's pretty dumb to have something you should've been doing all along as a "surprise." I get that they wanted to use it to forge some good will between indies and themselves, as well as the attentive, forum-dwelling core audience, but the truth is had they just come out and announced it completely without fanfare, it would have been just as effective.

To be honest, the fact that they think something like this is worthy of saving for a "surprise" reveal really tells me just how out of it MS's PR is. Announcements are supposed to be for things that are going to give you an edge over competitors, not things that just help you catch up to them.

LEGGZZZZ

(My apologies for being off topic) Anyone know where I can preorder a Day One Edition Xbox One online? I've see it's still available on Microsoft.com, Target, and Walmart's website, but I'm not sure how they handle charging preorders...

watership

If the meltdowns happen when MS fixes a policy that no one liked, image if they release a game people want to play. There will be blood in the streets.

I wonder what the buy in for Debugging authorization would be? Theoretically it could be thousands of dollars still, it's just that you wouldn't need to order a kit.

Zephyrus

Banned
You must love reading your own posts then.

if there's one thing I'm not is an hypocrite.

And I also don't bullshit because I tend to not write about something I have no idea about as I don't really enjoy looking like a fool.

Just because you're a diehard fan of microsoft (yeah, I do know your post history) nothing I said was false.

Just because you personally do not enjoy me showing discontent at other people's views of forgiveness and short sightness about microsoft, doesn't make me less right about it too.

You see, while I'm not an hypocrite, I am cocky and tend to look at the majority of people as idiots. I also tend to point it in their faces when I'm displeased with something they did.

I do and will mock anyone's intelligence (or therefore lack of it) for supporting a company that:
- tried to lock you out of the games you bought if you did not check online once every 24 hours
- Is currently forcing you to embrance a camera that will spy you in order to use you to sell products directly at you. They already do this with the first kinect. It's just that now, in light of the past news about microsoft, NSA and skype, you're also having the damn thing record anything you do.
- was forcing the little guy to go through them in order to be given the privilege of having their game on it's system while everyone else was letting them handle it on their own.
- was forcing you to embrace a digital world by killing the used market.
- Is selling an inferior system in absolutely every aspect for a full 100 dollars/euros more.
- had their PR talk to us, the consumers, like we're absolute idiots.

And you want to give your money to this company simply because they changed some of it's strategies in light of the xbox one abysmal pre-orders?
They tried to fuck us all once and had the nerve to make it look like it was in our benefit. They WILL do it again.

Make no mistake. Every company is in this business to make money. But none has as much disrespect for their consumers, than microsoft.

Top Bottom